Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 18th, 2010, 10:55 PM

hobosock is surprisingly tart
Need elp with 3 player scenarios.

Yes, I realize the title of the thread is misspelled. It was an accident, and I am truly sorry.

What is the best way to balance a three person game? I often find myself playing with two other people, so this problem comes up a lot. In a normal battle inevitably one person ends up being attacked by both armies or stuck in an unfair situation or starting zone. Does anyone have any ideas about how to balance out the third person. Would 1 vs. 2 work best? Or would the 3rd person have some sort of strategic benefit?

Last edited by hobosock; January 18th, 2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: saw the title of thread
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Need elp with 3 player scenarios.

Well, it depends. I mean, if you are doing FFA (free-for-all), it is basically a necessity that you use a rotationally symmetrical map. I have and example of this on my map thread (found in my sig) called Contamination that is perfectly symmetrical three ways </blatant self-promotion>. I know that there are a bunch of others who have 3-player maps, Rednax has one or two, Dignan also probably has a couple.

Now, if the problem is diplomacy, there are a couple options. One, you could do something like "attack the player to the left." You could also give the players an objective other than simply killing everybody else. Like, you have to get a glyph and move it somewhere or you have to control a certain part of the map for X amount of turns. I'm not quite sure how effective that would be, but it would probably cut down a little bit on the diplomacy.

Now, if you aren't playing FFA but instead are playing 2v1, there are two ways you could do it:

1. Give player1 (the player who doesn't have a team) a castle and make the other players come to him by making them try to invade the castle to grab a glyph or whatever. Give player1 one set of order markers but his army must be equal to the total point value of the other team. So, if player2 has a 440 point army and player3 has 460 point army, then player1 gets one set of order markers, a 900 point army, and a castle to defend.

2. Same example as above except player1 doesn't have a castle or anything to defend but instead has a second set of order markers to use. No using both of the same number on one card (so, no placing both #1s on Krug, for example).
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM

hobosock is surprisingly tart
Re: Need elp with 3 player scenarios.

Thanks, I'll try some of these out.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios