Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old September 1st, 2022, 10:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: The minis will not be a sea of unpainted gray

While I can't answer that question myself, I can say generally that I am impressed at your restraint in contributing on the boards, old-timer. I thought, when I picked my user name in 2007, that I'd never be posting anyway, so it didn't matter if it was dumb.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 14th, 2022, 11:42 AM

Bonesaw knows what's in an order marker Bonesaw knows what's in an order marker

It's a deal-breaker for me.

Compared to when I first collected Hersocape when it was on the shelves at WM and accumulated a gigantic collection and played countless hours on EPIC-sized boards, I have three kids now and don't have the time or desire to paint miniatures. I also can't see incorporating gray-shaded stuff into the lush traditionally colorful stuff either.

What a shame.

I would love to know why in the past painted Heroscape, was priced affordably and now it can't be done? Inflation aside, what has changed exactly?

Old September 14th, 2022, 11:44 AM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!

This has been discussed ad nasuem in the big 2.0 thread. Plenty of pro/anti sentiments voiced, and the reasons for the change spelled out over and over in that thread. I think the bulk of it is in the 40s pages before there was finally a moratorium on the topic.

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!
Old September 14th, 2022, 11:55 AM

Well I read from page 30 through 50 and didn't find any explanation.

Old September 14th, 2022, 12:09 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Apparently it's to keep costs down.

It's all down to keeping costs down to make sure kids can buy it...over the internet...with their parents credit cards...ehm...remember when this first came out, plastic prices were about a quarter of where they reside today...since all other game manufacturers do it why shouldn't Hasbro's following the lemming law...Arena Of the Planeswalkers wasn't painted either so why would Heroscape 3 be painted...painting costs in China has risen...it's covid-19's fault and all other such arguments without a real explanation.

The fact remains they will not be painted. Like it or lump it, it's the way it is.

I still think painting sucks but whatchagonnado?

Shame it's a deal breaker for you...I personally will wait to see how difficult they're going to make the sculpts to paint and then probably buy into it and grumble forevermore.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 14th, 2022 at 12:09 PM. Reason: GRUMBLE...GRUmble...grumble...
Old September 14th, 2022, 12:32 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
Apparently it's to keep costs down.

It's all down to keeping costs down to make sure kids can buy it...over the internet...with their parents credit cards...ehm...remember when this first came out, plastic prices were about a quarter of where they reside today...since all other game manufacturers do it why shouldn't Hasbro's following the lemming law...Arena Of the Planeswalkers wasn't painted either so why would Heroscape 3 be painted...painting costs in China has risen...it's covid-19's fault and all other such arguments without a real explanation.

The fact remains they will not be painted. Like it or lump it, it's the way it is.

I still think painting sucks but whatchagonnado?

Shame it's a deal breaker for you...I personally will wait to see how difficult they're going to make the sculpts to paint and then probably buy into it and grumble forevermore.
Yeah I don't really like painting figures myself, but I'm willing to do it since I can see we'll be getting a lot of interesting content. When it was first announced and we had little information, I was skeptical about the unpainted figures, but now they've shown enough content for me to be onboard
Old September 14th, 2022, 04:02 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The cost of producing painted minis has, I am told, skyrocketed. It would be expensive, and the AH people, including Craig and Encarmine, have both said that they want to see this package at a price point that will get it into the hands of people. So, not priced - in comparison to the amount of content - like a luxury item.

= =
Old September 15th, 2022, 01:43 PM

I speculate that it will hit on the expensive side anyway and people will be scratching their heads why, when the minis aren't painted. If there is this supposed huge cost savings, it should drop the package to the something near any other box of plastic toys, but I bet it won't.

Old September 15th, 2022, 01:53 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

On the one hand, there is the money spent up front to get the minis designed. On the other hand, there is the money spent for every set ever sent to a shop or to a consumer, that must (this argument goes) be painted.

I don't understand where people are getting this idea that those two pots of money - one fixed and knowable, from the start, and the other capable of going up and up and up, over time - are anything like each other.

= =
Old September 15th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
I speculate that it will hit on the expensive side anyway and people will be scratching their heads why, when the minis aren't painted. If there is this supposed huge cost savings, it should drop the package to the something near any other box of plastic toys, but I bet it won't.
It's been stated an estimate of $400 if it was to be pre-painted. It wasn't exact in whether that would be the cost of everything or just a ROTV sized set worth of stuff. I'm guessing $200~ for everything. I just think of it's going to be $300 plus, people would just want to pay the extra $100~ for painting, but that's purely guessing on my part. I think they still look great and easy to distinguish from a distance regardless.

And that's considering purchasing through a crowdfunder vs. what the MSRP would be. Also, shipping for Haslab is not included.

Upset City Baby.
Old September 15th, 2022, 02:01 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

People can get it painted in the aftermarket if they want. It’s really not hard.

My own sense is that the $400 for painted is low, based on my conversations.

The industry standard for this type of game now is unpainted minis. They don’t have to stay unpainted; that’s up to individual people and their willingness to invest time and effort, or money, into getting them painted. Either do that, or if it’s that unpalatable, then just don’t get it. It’s a personal choice.

= =
Old September 15th, 2022, 02:26 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Unpainted minis are definitely the industry standard. I'm not sure the last time I saw a game with painted minis (Arena of the Planeswalkers had painted planeswalkers, and that was over six years ago now). Unmatched puts a wash on their figures and that's it.

That's a good option for people who don't want to paint, by the way. Just put a wash on it to give the mini some texture/depth and bring out the shadows and such--do the whole mini in one go.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion