Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikkRikk View Post
Yesterday I played Incan Gold and Apples to Apples with my family.
Big-time BOO on Apples to Apples, and anything else along it's lines. I can't stand subjective games. Maybe it's just the competitor in me, but if the adjective is "Evil", and I throw down Adolf Hitler, and someone else throws down "Canadians", I shouldn't lose, no matter who the judge is or how evil the other person can argue that Canadians are.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I got a nice haul fo games for my birthday and Christmas.

We've been playing Munchkin, Munchkin Fu, Munchkin Quest, Talisman, Battlestar Galactica, and for Valentine's my wife got me Dungeon Twister! We haven't tried it out yet, but it looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Big-time BOO on Apples to Apples, and anything else along it's lines. I can't stand subjective games. Maybe it's just the competitor in me, but if the adjective is "Evil", and I throw down Adolf Hitler, and someone else throws down "Canadians", I shouldn't lose, no matter who the judge is or how evil the other person can argue that Canadians are.
You know, I really have to agree with you on this one, kc. I feel like Apples to Apples is more of a social time-killer than a competitive game. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for, but there's little to nothing you can do to try to win or not. You just have to play some cards and see what people say.

Old February 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post

We've been playing Munchkin, Munchkin Fu, Munchkin Quest, Talisman, Battlestar Galactica, and for Valentine's my wife got me Dungeon Twister! We haven't tried it out yet, but it looks great.

Quote:
Quote:
You know, I really have to agree with you on this one, kc. I feel like Apples to Apples is more of a social time-killer than a competitive game. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for, but there's little to nothing you can do to try to win or not. You just have to play some cards and see what people say.
I guess I'm a party-pooper in that aspect. I feel like games need that competitive edge to be fun, even if no one cares if they win or lose. It's the suspense that someone is going to come out on top that gets me, and if that outcome isn't rational, then I don't like it. You lose the "May the best man win" or even the "May the luckiest man win" and get "May the person in the favor of the right person at the right time win". I always feel so betrayed when I put down a really good card and don't win it.

Adjective - Good-natured

killercactus' noun - Helen Keller
someone else's card - Charging Rhinos

Judge: Charging Rhinos is my favorite card! It wins!

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I'm a party-pooper in that aspect. I feel like games need that competitive edge to be fun, even if no one cares if they win or lose. It's the suspense that someone is going to come out on top that gets me, and if that outcome isn't rational, then I don't like it. You lose the "May the best man win" or even the "May the luckiest man win" and get "May the person in the favor of the right person at the right time win". I always feel so betrayed when I put down a really good card and don't win it.

Adjective - Good-natured

killercactus' noun - Helen Keller
someone else's card - Charging Rhinos

Judge: Charging Rhinos is my favorite card! It wins!

The problem is you're thinking of Apples to Apples as a game. It is not. I agree that a game has to have a competitive element, but Apples to Apples and similar things are social activities. The intent is not to win, but to hang out with your friends. And seen that way, A to A is successful and can be a lot of fun.

Just don't be at all concerned about who "wins".
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Snow Tails.

Jim
I want that game. Really badly.
I'd even settle for your copy.
Here's your chance (but not for my copy):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser Lamont, one of the designers, on Boardgamegeek.com
Hi All,

After a number of delays, the US bound Snow Tails are finally scheduled to arrive in the next 2 or 3 days.
The companies who ordered stock are (alphabetical order):

Boards and Bits
Funagain Games
Game Surplus
Thought Hammer

These are the last remaining copies of the Fragor edition, so get in touch with the companies directly if you want to secure one.

Best wishes,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games
Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

just received a shipping from France containing Okko expansion, Yakuza Hazu Akai, Kung Fu Fighting (it seems a fun card game. I've read about it right here on scapers.com but can't remember who was writing... maybe Drake?), Zauberschwert & Drachenei plus Helden & Zaubersprüche expansion, Risk 2210 A.D. (I'm not a big fan of Risk, but reading reviews, it seems it's one of the best Risk released).

well, I have to play for months.
unfortunately, I fear it will takes month to just try all of them ^^
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker

I've seen a few comments talking about how people hate Apples to Apples because it's subjective and not competitive.

Does every game have to be competitive to be fun? I'm not really asking the question because it's rhetorical in my mind. I just don't get how people feel like they need to write sentences to say how much they hate Apples. Yes, it's everything that you say it is, but that's why it's FUN! And also a great diversion from the standard "I kill you while you try to kill me" game.

What about co-op games? I LOVE Pandemic and Knizia's Lord of the Rings.

I honestly think that people that hate Apples perhaps have some sort of control issue or maybe you're just way too competitive? If you just play the game and have fun, and try not to care about winning, it's hilarious.

If winning is definitely your thing, one thing I would recommend is playing the game with family or friends that you know well. You can visit a lot of inside jokes and end up "winning" if you play some timely cards that touch on the humor of your friend.

My Recent Plays:
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM

aquaone is surprisingly tart

I've been playings lots of Agricola. I'm wondering if I'll ever find an English language X deck... but I'm enjoying what I have so far. I've also got some new gamers that I'm easing into things with by playing Carcassonne (and slowly introducing expansions/rules/pieces). I figure after they're hooked on it we'll mix it up with Settlers, Ticket to Ride, and Risk 2210. Maybe after that they'll be ready for some deeper strategy games.

As for the Apples to Apples debate, I think it's a mix between the two. Is it fun? Absolutely. Is it competitive? In the group I most often play it with, yes. It is objective and competitive. The challenge in Apples is getting into the mindset of the judge and playing to their senses, not your own. The group I play it with isn't seriously competitive (often we don't even track anyone winning, just play for an hour or two) but there are several people who take their score seriously and try to find the window for the right cards (e.g. Senseless for Helen Keller).

*insert witty catchphrase here*
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think the srtategy in AtA is knowing your friends and what they'll respond favorably to. That's the idea behind "party games," knowing your friends more, and by doing so, you have better chances. Still, it does have a ton of luck. But if gives the chance to be original and creative in thoughts. Last time I remember playing I won because I had heard my friend talking about pirates or talking like a pirate and so I played something along those lines and won the round. You get the idea.

In the example of Rhinos, well, you should have known your friend was a little kooky and would go for something off like that instead of a serious answer like yours, which no offense, was boring.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaone View Post
I've been playings lots of Agricola. I'm wondering if I'll ever find an English language X deck...
Yes, you will. As shown in the following quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://lookout-games.de/direct-orders/
Again, we’re still doing our fundraiser for our project in Ethiopia:
If you give a donation to our good cause, we’ll be happy to provide you with the English Agricola X deck and/or a FULL set of Le Havre bonus cards and Agricola L-Deck. Your choice.
Just played a quick game of Descent with two others. Neither one of them had played before, and we all liked it.

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Just played a quick game of Descent with two others. Neither one of them had played before, and we all liked it.

Jim
Does ... not ... compute!

Although I LOVE Descent, you'll have to explain this one.

My Recent Plays:
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Monokidnatic

Quote:
Quote:

Jim
Does ... not ... compute!

Although I LOVE Descent, you'll have to explain this one.
Three players: two of us had never played, and I had played twice before. One room and two hours later the two characters lost. Therefore, Descent lasted only two hours, which makes it a quick game.

Jim

Scaper of the Week #17

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games