Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old December 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
The classic old wargamer's response is that those units not deployed at the beginning of the game spend their first movement point marching onto the battlefield in the starting zone. I'd be careful about expanding the starting zome too much. A space or 2, OK. I'd even be cool with giving you enough hexes to deploy one more squad if that's all you had that wouldn't fit. More than that, though, and you're running into a very real tactical problem: How do you get your mass to the point of decision on the battlefield? Giving you more space to deploy just shortcircuits what could be a very interesting puzzle.

Not one step backwards!
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:12 AM

bpwwrestling is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
My friends and I do the starting areas a bit differently when we play. We do our best to make a symmetrical map and then just divide it in half (or thirds, quarters, etc.). Once the technical line is drawn as to what side starts where, then we roll the dice and the highest number gets to pick which side they want. If there are any limitations on where you can't place figures (such as on or in a castle), they are mentioned prior to the roll.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: Starting Zone Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock
......but unless they're zombies that's a real thorn in the side;
For Marro Warriors and Zombies, if they do not start the game on the battlefield they are not in play and are never in play during that game. (unless you are house ruling something) You can't clone back or rise again a unit that was never there in the first place. If you had to eat a marro or zombie to squeeze into the start zones, the units that did not make it on the board are not in play for that game.
Quote:
....it doesn't seem fair to have to off your own men at the start just because there's so many of them. If it fits within 500 points, it's fair! Isn't it?
I don't know if it is fair or not, you might ask Hasbro since it is their rule. Is it ok there to spill over? Nope, sure isn't. Again, house rule if you need to. Start Zone restrictions are very real and very necessary especially in tournament settings.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM

tvar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
If you sacrifice, say, a 4th Massachusetts Line guy, and you have several squads in your army, do you still need to destroy 4 to have killed the first whole squad, or do you only need to kill 3? Basically, which squad is considered to be short-handed, the first squad killed or the last one killed?
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart
Re: Starting Zone Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
Quote:
......but unless they're zombies that's a real thorn in the side;
For Marro Warriors and Zombies, if they do not start the game on the battlefield they are not in play and are never in play during that game. (unless you are house ruling something) You can't clone back or rise again a unit that was never there in the first place. If you had to eat a marro or zombie to squeeze into the start zones, the units that did not make it on the board are not in play for that game.
Quote:
....it doesn't seem fair to have to off your own men at the start just because there's so many of them. If it fits within 500 points, it's fair! Isn't it?
I don't know if it is fair or not, you might ask Hasbro since it is their rule. Is it ok there to spill over? Nope, sure isn't. Again, house rule if you need to. Start Zone restrictions are very real and very necessary especially in tournament settings.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was considering said zombies previously destroyed In a way it makes sense, since you're really just turning the corpse of your victim into a zombie, but from a technical stand-point I can see the rule's purpose.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
If I can play with unlimited starting zone, I'll play with 10 squads of Rats and KMA, or 8 sets of Rats and KMA+ Old Raelin, or 8 sets of Rats and Q9.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper
If I can play with unlimited starting zone, I'll play with 10 squads of Rats and KMA, or 8 sets of Rats and KMA+ Old Raelin, or 8 sets of Rats and Q9.
And the game will take fourteen hours or so! <laughing>
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvar
If you sacrifice, say, a 4th Massachusetts Line guy, and you have several squads in your army, do you still need to destroy 4 to have killed the first whole squad, or do you only need to kill 3? Basically, which squad is considered to be short-handed, the first squad killed or the last one killed?
That is an interesting question. I am not sure of what the official answer here would be but I would say that the first card's worth would be short.

In other words, if your opponent is having to eat a figure to start the game they are already behind.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvar
That is an interesting question. I am not sure of what the official answer here would be but I would say that the first card's worth would be short.

In other words, if your opponent is having to eat a figure to start the game they are already behind.
I'd agree with this interpretation. Almost every scenario I've ever read says to count the number of points on the battlefield. If three 4th Mass died, and there's one that never made it to the fight, that's a whole dead squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Blackrock, I'm a huge fan of squads, and that 24-space limit has always chapped my butt. I often have to include some expensive heroes in my armies simply because I don't have enough room to build what I want. In my opinion, if the game lets me have 30 orcs, I want 30 orcs.

But I'm kind of in the minority on that, and since I have a lot of respect for the guys I play, and many of them are some of the best friends I have, I don't tend to make it a big deal. But I sure would like to overturn that starting zone restriction.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
I'm a huge fan of squads, and that 24-space limit has always chapped my butt. I often have to include some expensive heroes in my armies simply because I don't have enough room to build what I want. In my opinion, if the game lets me have 30 orcs, I want 30 orcs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
But I'm kind of in the minority on that...*snip*
Add one more to the list!

The only bad thing in my mind about tons of squads is that it lengthens games. Just roll your dice faster to make up for it.

For some of my lame thoughts on this: go here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM

MechaBeast is surprisingly tart
Rats x 11
Dead Eye Dan

500pts in only 45 spaces

Edit: Maybe the starting zone limit is to ensure there is HEROES in Heroscape

...and then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them all onto a boat and then he beat the crap out every single one.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's