Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old November 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Green Wyrmling discussion and playtesting

Hey all. There's been a lot of discussion about the Green Wyrmling custom and how it should be done. It seems like the SoV is a natural place for this idea, but no individual has really been able to dial in a figure that met the SoV's approval.

So, the idea of this thread is twofold:
  1. Allow people to discuss the few dials that can be tweaked on a Green Wyrmling.
  2. Run and post playtests based on those ideas.
As I said in the SoV thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
When it comes to the GW, I think nearly everyone agrees on the following:
  • The sculpt choice
  • Fights for Ullar, Valiant personality
  • Common Hero
  • Wyrmling Bonding and Flying
  • 5 move, 1 range
That really just leaves the following four choices:
  • 3 attack or 4?
  • 4 defense or 5?
  • 30 points or 35?
  • How exactly will counterstrike be tweaked into fledgling counterstrike?
My current opinions:
  • 4 attack, 4 defense. 5 defense is going to be hard to balance, and 4 attack encourages using them aggressively instead of just as blockers.
  • 35 points. Just because it makes it easier to make fledgling counterstrike powerful.
  • By far the hardest question is how to design fledgeling counterstrike. At the moment, I'm leaning towards either counting every shield after the first, or adding some second test before the counterstrike wounds count (d20 roll, for instance).
Anyone who wants to suggest forms of FC should really read this discussion in killercactus's thread.

Anyway, here's hoping that we can put our heads together, run some tests, and figure out a version that works. The goals, in my opinion:

1. A figure that is fun, dynamic, and competitive. A wyrmling that you want to include with mixed wyrmling builds.
  2. Green Wyrmling + Raelin shouldn't be any more broken against melee than WoA + Raelin is.
  3. Green Wyrmlings shouldn't make the strongest 4th builds stronger at any point total.
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:32 PM

Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Green Wyrmling discussion and playtesting

Very good idea for a thread dok. I'm interested in how this will turn out.
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I looked through the thread and it seems to go round and round, so I tried to think of a different angle to come at the problem. Here's what I came up with:

Counterattack
When this Green Wyrmling successfully defends a normal attack from an adjacent figure, you may immediately make a normal attack against that figure.

This way, a whiffed skulls roll gives the figure a chance to defend instead of an auto wound. I know it loses a touch of the flavor of regular counterstrike, but clearly that isn't working for balance reasons.

With this I would go 5/1/4/4, 35 points.
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
Counterattack
When this Green Wyrmling successfully defends a normal attack from an adjacent figure, you may immediately make a normal attack against that figure.

This way, a whiffed skulls roll gives the figure a chance to defend instead of an auto wound. I know it loses a touch of the flavor of regular counterstrike, but clearly that isn't working for balance reasons.
I suggested this at the start of the thread and assumed that not many people liked it as the thread went to bouncing around all these various versions of the same thing. The problem is that counterstrike is kind of a crappy ability. Overpowered in some cases, useless in others, and all these solutions try to fix it by dice rigging, which can get clunky.

I think the proposal above is not all that different thematically than traditional counter strike. It literally is a counter strike. Sure, it involves another roll, but rolling dice is fun!

One weird thing with this version is that if a Green Wyrm attacks another Green Wyrm it becomes a fight to the death. I kind of like this, so I don't see it as an issue.
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Fledgling Counterstrike
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, if the opponent rolls 1 or fewer skulls, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure.
Added this to the FCSC, and got some interesting results. It happens with surprisingly high frequency, basically multiplying the whiff-counter % by number of attack dice. It's even more powerful than 2nd-excess shield. In the Knightmare (3 Attack vs 7 Defense) scenario it's activating 39.1% of the time to the 57.7% activation of the original 1-wound (and 32.2% for the 2nd-excess; 11.8% for whiff-activated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
Counterattack
The SoV previously rejected attacking on an opponent's turn. You could make it a d20 roll or a simple "...roll X attack dice, each skull counts as an unblockable hit...", but you cannot use attack wording.

Last edited by Shedim Kabal; December 4th, 2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added d20-activated Counter Strike to the FCSC
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:46 AM

XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker

It could be done as all shields in excess of the skulls and blanks rolled are unblockable hits.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Not terribly familiar with past attempts at this, so forgive me if this has been tried before.

How about

If a Green Wyrmling you control successfully defends against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking small or medium figure, if at least 2 excess shields were rolled, the attacking figure receives 1 wound.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:25 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Requiring 2 excess shields to wound may be the easiest and most elegant way. That feels the most like a Wyrmling variant of counter strike.

You picked the perfect stats, IMO. I don't think you should aim for a particular point value, however. I wouldn't mind seeing it at anywhere from 25-40 if it isn't broken.

Last edited by Arch-vile; November 21st, 2012 at 01:26 AM. Reason: I agree with Soundwarp!
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:50 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Why not "If any excess shields are rolled, the attacking figure receives one unblockable wound." Triggers as easily as regular Counter Strike, but no more dangerous to heroes than it is to squads.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:14 AM

XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Why not "If any excess shields are rolled, the attacking figure receives one unblockable wound." Triggers as easily as regular Counter Strike, but no more dangerous to heroes than it is to squads.
I like this one. It's similar to the black wyrms power in that it is easier for a hero to survive but not for a squad figure to.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Quote:
This one is too powerful, its been tested before and it is broken against squads.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:15 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
Quote:
This one is too powerful, its been tested before and it is broken against squads.
It seems like blanks could be added to the power to limit it. Either make a blank required, 2 excess shields, or both to trigger. It should be easy to test out.

Also, I don't see how these guys would be much better than Samurai Archers with Raelin. TSA are ~22 points each and can activate 3 instead of 2 units per OM. Other than flying, what am I missing? At 35 points and 4 defense it seems pretty comparable. If you make them too weak, they will be easy pickings for ranged SAing heroes. We have enough of those already.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards