Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old September 12th, 2014, 03:31 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: WARGROUNDS of SCAPE (WoS) - discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
I like Remains of Clionesia a lot. This map was used in the French Heroscape Tournament last year.

I don't know if it can help, but I made 3 fully pictured battle reports on this map (here, here and here). Really fun to play on.
@Lyrgard , thanks for sharing your experience and battle reports on the map -- those are always fun to read, and useful too.
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I would like to nominate Cage Match, by Dignan.
The requirements are SotM + FotA. I've played on this map in multiple live events as well as in-home games. It offers very different play from most other maps I've played. The action happens very quickly and most of the map is almost always used. The central glyphs in the .pdf are very strong, but I found that to be sufficiently mitigated by their very vulnerable positions (and by the use of moderately strong glyphs on the exterior positions, like Wannok). I found Thorian to typically be a balanced glyph on this map in that location, as it is fairly easy to access but difficult to hold. I have even felt that the Thorian glyph in that location gives melee a needed edge against some ranged matchups. I imagine the map could be tested with different glyphs--I don't know if that would require a separate submission or not.
Thanks @capsocrates -- nominations that come with a bit of background analysis like this are exactly what we like.
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:38 AM

Just finished building Dignan's Cage Match. Used some of my custom terrain.

Old September 14th, 2014, 01:11 AM

Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker

Amazing solution to the eye sore of uncapped pillars
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Amazing solution to the eye sore of uncapped pillars
@Seraph , thank you very much for the kind words.

And though it comes a tad late, I know..... Welcome to the forums!
Old September 15th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Do I understand correctly that this is a one-phase voting process? No nomination phase, just voting?

Interesting. The advantage of efficiency is obvious. I can see, however, a situation where a late-voting judge torpedoes a map that one or two of his colleagues have been testing, and that might lead to some frustration. If I'm reading it correctly. It's a trade-off, and I'm sure a well-considered one.

Good luck, guys!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:04 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Do I understand correctly that this is a one-phase voting process? No nomination phase, just voting?

Interesting. The advantage of efficiency is obvious. I can see, however, a situation where a late-voting judge torpedoes a map that one or two of his colleagues have been testing, and that might lead to some frustration. If I'm reading it correctly. It's a trade-off, and I'm sure a well-considered one.

Good luck, guys!
Seems that that could happen about as easily with a two-phase voting structure, really. There has been more than one occasion in BoV history where a judge posted a "yeah, I was about to vote XXX" post after a map received its deciding vote one way or the other, and that includes YES votes after the second NO.
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

It's an interesting innovation. I'm not saying it's a bad idea; I like how it streamlines the process. I think you are, however, somewhat more likely to have a situation where judges A, B, C, D, and E all consider a map, and judge A gives it a . Then Judges B and C invest time into testing it for a few weeks, then Judge F finally gets around to looking at it and decides it's not worth testing, so he throws a into the pit and it's over. Under a two-stage process, B and C do not invest the time until F has already been heard. Or outvoted, for the purpose of advancing to the testing stage.

On the other hand, that scenario is probably not going to come up very often. And you will be able to turn around maps much faster, apparently, because you have less voting to do. And if Judge B does not like it when Judge F torpedoes a map he's been testing, then next time Judge B could just send a PM or a tag to @Judge F, and tickle a vote out of him, and problem solved.

I'm just musing about your process, not trying to be critical.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; September 15th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:19 AM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I wonder if the choice of "judge F" there was accidental.

Anyway, it took you only until the end of your first paragraph to argue against yourself. I'm not saying it doesn't slightly increase the likelihood of this scenario, but it's not that significant of an increase. FWIW I've seen this exact scenario play out w.r.t. one of my maps, more than once, in BoV. Once a judge whose vote wasn't required to get things to review (got enough YtRs without him) voted no after yes votes had come in. In another case a yes to induct vote was posted a few days after the requisite no to induct votes had been received.
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
It's an interesting innovation. I'm not saying it's a bad idea; I like how it streamlines the process. I think you are, however, somewhat more likely to have a situation where judges A, B, C, D, and E all consider a map, and judge A gives it a . Then Judges B and C invest time into testing it for a few weeks, then Judge F finally gets around to looking at it and decides it's not worth testing, so he throws a into the pit and it's over. Under a two-stage process, B and C do not invest the time until F has already been heard. Or outvoted, for the purpose of advancing to the testing stage.

On the other hand, that scenario is probably not going to come up very often. And you will be able to turn around maps much faster, apparently, because you have less voting to do. And if Judge B does not like it when Judge F torpedoes a map he's been testing, then next time Judge B could just send a PM or a tag to @Judge F, and tickle a vote out of him, and problem solved.

I'm just musing about your process, not trying to be critical.
Hiya big Daddy_S,

Ignore dok's "arguing against yourself" line. He's just trying to push your buttons, because we know you love having your buttons pushed.

Thanks for even taking the time to read our by-laws! Yes, I think you capture our intentions exactly: we think the streamlined efficiency and faster processing to be gained by eliminating the separate nomination phase should more than make up for any possible disadvantages. That's the plan anyway...
Old September 15th, 2014, 12:03 PM

I wouldn't say I'm exactly trying to push D_S's buttons here. D_S and I communicate privately and regularly (including on this subject) so I think he knows when I mean to push his buttons.

Just pointing out that, as he noted, a judge can be outvoted in the BoV process (or, as I add, just not vote at all in the first stage) so this same issue can present itself in a two-stage process.

The only way to truly prevent this sort of thing is to parcel out assignments to individual judges. As I understand it, this is the new SoV approach. For now, in WoS, we are giving the judges liberty to review as they see fit, with some internal communication so judges know if a review is coming on a given map.
Old September 15th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Don't worry about it, Typhon. I wasn't arguing against myself. (a) I wasn't arguing with anyone, and (b) even if I had been trying to argue with dok, I wasn't actually arguing against myself. I reread that post & still have no idea what he was talking about.

It's too early in the morning for dok to be intoxicated, so I'm not sure why he's so excitable. Regardless, I let it pass.

I imagine that the advantage of streamlining will outweigh the potential disadvantage of clouding the timing of when testing is done, however, if I was working on this project I would be mindful of that wrinkle before I invested significant time in testing a map.

. Carry on.
Spoiler Alert!

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios