Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old September 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
no problem. I don't think less of you, and yes, the internet always seems like a horrible place to start one's own sarcastic comedy routine.
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM

TexMex Woo who?
Thanks for this, gamjuven! I'm currently putting together my first competitive army, and after reading your thread I'm throwing my first idea out But I'm a writer, after all, and writing - like Heroscape army building - is about revision

The Daily Pugle
Albuquerque, NM-NHSD Tourney 2008 Results:
TexMex: 2nd Place
Mrs. TexMex: 8th Place--Out of 10
PS I lost every battle in my first tourney
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Troy Spiral has disabled reputation
Friggin great post. Exactly what i was looking for. coming from a "competitive gaming" background this is great.

Although i did basicly glean from it "Buy Q9, Nakitas and Deathreavers" :P

*goes to look up what sets these come from*

Old September 27th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Spiral
Friggin great post. Exactly what i was looking for. coming from a "competitive gaming" background this is great.

Although i did basicly glean from it "Buy Q9, Nakitas and Deathreavers" :P

*goes to look up what sets these come from*
Toys R Us. I give you a 99% guarantee that you'll see all of these units at your local TRU. (Now I know you specified which 'sets,' but these sets happen to be rather easy to find at the moment.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Updated link section that includes the new main site as well as a link to a fan-made site that has an army builder section!
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I just added two new things to consider when creating a competitive army. Number 13 has to do with having mulitple ways of winning and number 14 has to do with point differential. Let me know what you guys think and let me know if you think they should stay in the first post!

Thanks!

ps: forgive the double post

Hey, can somebody figure out an army that matches all of the criteria for a competitive army but actually sucks? I want to see if there's anything I am missing from the list. An army that follows the criteria but still sucks would shed light on any other factor that should go into making a competitive army. Thanks!

Edit: Number 15 was added. It has to do with the number of cards your army has. It was inspired after reading Rdhight's thread. Thanks!

Last edited by gamjuven; April 21st, 2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM

idgit has disabled reputation
Re: The Idiot's Guide to Making a Competitive Army

i think all of the vipers together, although competitive in my opinion are weak mainly due to the venoc vipers having a zero for defense even though they have a plus two to move with the warlord, and the armoc movement bonding, and if you were lucky enough to get the onyx vipers. they have a downfall if someone used alot of range against them, if the venocs fail to make it to glyphs even with the enhanced movement, this army could be doomed.

Now some people could use this combination quite well, but at this point im not that capable with them, of course a perfectly good plan can be ruined by the dice results, and bad die rolls can ruin any competitive army

Last edited by idgit; May 14th, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM

idgit has disabled reputation

A friend of mine made the zombies of morindan quite competitive with a simple movement tactic, first he used 8 units of zombies and put them into 4 rows of 6, and all he did to win the game was constantly moving the 4th row to the first, he ws totally unstopable, whenever someone fired into his line, he simply replaced them with some from the back row.

By the time he made a circle around the battlefield, he had as many zombies as he started with, of course we were all pretty squad heavy, and im sure that help him out alot.

It is slow moving, but by the time he got to the middle of the field most of his opposition was wiped out to fuel this horde, but that is also the secret to the zombie horde movement, and that is to move in six so you have a 50% chance to attack with 3 of them.

Just adding my thoughts.
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM

fshmatt has disabled reputation

Just wanted to let everyone know that all the competitive army advice really helps. I like to just play for fun usually, but when I really want to win, I come here first. Thanks!

Each prayer a drop, eventually the bucket will tip.
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM

Natas has disabled reputation

On rule 10 or 11 (I forget) it says that all common squads should have multiples. I use one set of B-tons and one set of G-tons and they usually kill there points worth before they die.
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

Rule number 15: Remember to include Cyprien in your army, simply because people fear him.

Nice guide though.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natas View Post
On rule 10 or 11 (I forget) it says that all common squads should have multiples. I use one set of B-tons and one set of G-tons and they usually kill there points worth before they die.
There are exceptions to the rules of course. I'd say in general you would be correct with the glad-blast combo. It does work well with even just one squad of the blasts. Although I must say that if you are playing a competant opponent they should quickly shoot at your very vulnerable 2 defense blastatrons and very quickly you could find yourself with just a couple of gladiatrons that most likely will not earn back their points.

In most cases, it benefits you more to have mroe than one of any given squad. One of the benefits of a common squad is that they are common (meaning you can take more than 1 of them). If you take less than 2 common squads you are taking that advantage away and making them similar to unique squads. In most cases I would say give the advantage that common squads give as many times as you can. The blastatrons can be an exception to this rule, as well as the deathreavers. But there are few common squads that reach their maximum potential when only 1 squad of them is drafted.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion