Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Notices

Old June 16th, 2020, 09:07 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: OHS 36 - Heat & Insanity - Quarterfinals until 6/21

Well, the Wyverns had their way, lava dunking Crixus and Spartacus in route to a pretty solid victory. I didn't see the two same level lava spaces before the armies were selected, so I think my army choice was incorrect. I said this to kevin after the game but I really do think that same level lava with Wyverns and Chainfighters is as around as corner-case broken as lava-capped castle pillars is with Moltenclaw, and these boards shouldn't be used in tournaments. But kevin may have had these same level lava boards in mind when selecting his army so not really an excuse for this game.

The game itself was kevin claiming one of the same level lava spaces with Spiders, and me protecting the other same level lava space with the Gladiators. I had a lead on points because the Spider army is over a figure, so I should have just waited it out and made the Wyverns stage an offensive, but I would have had to wait 4 rounds before the 3 rounds no attack timer even started. At the start of the second round, kevin offered me an even ground attack on the Wyvern with a Capuan and I took it, but it was probably ill-advised. The attack failed and I ended up fighting an uphill battle against Spiders. Spiders were quite lethal against the Capuans too. Kozil fed the Brooch of Shielding to a Wyvern which made them even better at lava dunking since I couldn't force the Wyvern to take LEAs to do it.

I made a few mistakes overfearing the lava on Crixus when I should have just been brave and tried to punch through the Wyvern. I had a final chance to try to come back with an initiative switch Spartacus to try and one-shot the last Wyvern, but he was just submerged in fire. Ultimately it's really difficult to play against lava dunk armies and so different from normal Heroscape so I'm not sure I have a lot to say here. It's hard to be super satisfied when a game goes in this fashion but kevin played it really well.
Old June 17th, 2020, 04:27 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The thing is that same-level lava is distressingly common. Two of the last three lava maps that the BoV accepted (Can't take the Heat and Stygian Rift) have same-level lava. And they're hardly a rare exception.

Even if you take out the same-level thing, molten lava creates issues. Nobody is going to weep for Marcu, but it also drastically changes the effectiveness of Mindflayers, Jotun, Shurrak, and other figure movers. To be honest molten lava has very few redeeming characteristics and should probably be left off by map designers in almost all cases. Lava field is great and has a useful influence by encouraging dynamic play, but molten lava has almost no good qualities.
Old June 20th, 2020, 12:56 PM

AgentWard is surprisingly tart
Re: OHS 36 - Heat & Insanity - Round 4 until 6/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

The dompredator77 (3-1) v. agentward (3-1) pool of armies is:
* Air Elementalx3, Death Knights of Valkrillx8
* Kozuke Samurai, Tagawa Samurai, Red Wyrmling, Warforged Soldiersx4
* Executioner 616, Major J15, Hoplitronx10
* Martial La Hire, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior [RotV], Varkaanan Blade Dancersx5
agentward chooses to pick their army first or second. After armies are picked, dompredator77 chooses who places first.
DomPredator and I start placing figures right now, the game start soon

Edit: I got the win with Martial full life and 6 Varks left
I place first so Dom plays first. I took the center of the map with like all the Varks in Rae's Aura.
Each turn Dom put one elemental in the center of my army to attack Raelin even if she have height. In 3 turn and 3 attack he put her down. Varks use as most as possible height to do a max of damage.
In round 2, Rae is already dead and I kill the last elemental so we start a routine of attacks of 4/5 dices vs 5 for me and 2 dices vs 2 for Dom. The fact I can play 3 figures by turn and him only 2 makes me clean the field faster.

Thanks for the game DomPredator

Hello from the France.

If you speak french (and even if you don't), don't be shy and come say hello here:
French forum

Last edited by AgentWard; June 20th, 2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old June 20th, 2020, 01:58 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

The Semifinals are Insanity of Battle on Where the Road Ends.

The mtl1998 (4-0) v. kevindola (4-1) pool of armies is:
* Arkmer, Elaria the Pale, Nilfheim, Buccaneers of Tortugax4
* B-11 Resistance Corps, Pel the Hill Giant, Valguard, Dreadgul Raidersx4
* Kozil, Fyorlag Spidersx6, Wyvernx2 (drop 1)
* Darrak Ambershard, Me-Burq-Sa, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Rygarn, Axegrinders of Burning Forgex2, Roman Legionnairesx2
mtl1998 chooses to pick their army first or second. After armies are picked, kevindola chooses who places first.

The Knight of Scape (4-1) v. AgentWard (4-1) pool of armies is:
* Concan the Kyrie Warrior, Sentinels of Grax, Phantom Knightsx2, Shieldsmiths of Granite Keepx3
* The Varja, Warden 816, Honor Guard of the Blasted Landsx5
AgentWard chooses to pick their army first or second. After armies are picked, Knight of Scape chooses who places first.
Old June 20th, 2020, 02:04 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: OHS 36 - Heat & Insanity - Semifinals until 6/27

I rolled out on the wrong map, but both games have been updated with the correct map: Where the Road Ends.
Old June 20th, 2020, 07:27 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

* Darrak Ambershard, Me-Burq-Sa, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Rygarn, Axegrinders of Burning Forgex2, Roman Legionnairesx2
mtl1998 chooses to pick their army first or second. After armies are picked, kevindola chooses who places first.

Playing Tuesday morning at 9 am 10 am Central. Last time this matchup went the way of the Buccs. We'll see how the dice are feeling for this one. (I say this cuz I feel like I'll need some luck to get the dreadguls to pull through.)

Last edited by kevindola; June 22nd, 2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Game pushed back 1 hour
Old June 21st, 2020, 08:38 AM

Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The announcement finally capitalized my username!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
The Knight of Scape (4-1) v. AgentWard (4-1) pool of armies is:
* Concan the Kyrie Warrior, Sentinels of Grax, Phantom Knightsx2, Shieldsmiths of Granite Keepx3
* The Varja, Warden 816, Honor Guard of the Blasted Landsx5
AgentWard chooses to pick their army first or second. After armies are picked, Knight of Scape chooses who places first.
Happening this morning in <=30 minutes.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 12:01 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
Quote:

Playing Tuesday morning at 9 am 10 am Central. Last time this matchup went the way of the Buccs. We'll see how the dice are feeling for this one. (I say this cuz I feel like I'll need some luck to get the dreadguls to pull through.)
Well the luck was there for me this game. Kevindola never won initiative aside from the first round. Going into Round 3 just under three squads of buccaneers and dreadguls were gone. Three B-11 were alive around the middle of the map. Nilf, Elaria, and Arkmer were scatterd on the west, Nilfheim claiming the road, ready to ice shard the last B-11s. The rest of the pirates were burying their treasure on the east behind a ruin. I had a dreadgul on Wannok and then a few on the south front with Valguard. Pel was just sitting in the middle. I won initiative and two B-11 rolled 3 skulls and the big dragon blanked both attacks, going down. This cost kevindola a round of OMs and the game was basically over there. I won with 3 B-11, 3 Dreadguls, a full life Pel, and Valguard with 6 lives left.

GG, @kevindola . I don't win against you often. Being lucky helps I suppose. Off to the finals for the first time in my OHS career.

Last edited by mtl1998; July 4th, 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 12:13 PM
This is merely a joke.

Re: OHS 36 - Heat & Insanity - Semifinals until 6/27

The Finals are Heat of Battle on Ember Canyon Road.

The mtl1998 (5-0) v. AgentWard (5-1) pool of armies is:
AgentWard chooses to pick their army first or second. After armies are picked, mtl1998 chooses who places first.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 04:14 PM

Re: OHS 36 - Heat & Insanity - FINALS

Quote:

AgentWard chooses to pick their army first or second. After armies are picked, mtl1998 chooses who places first.
11:00 am Eastern. Saturday, July 4th.
Old July 4th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Re: OHS 36 - Heat & Insanity - FINALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
Quote:

11:00 am Eastern. Saturday, July 4th.

The Buccaneers had one turn of glory, killing three Varks and claiming Valda. Nilfheim took every other OM, and managed to pull it out in a really close game. He took 3 wounds to lava and 2 wounds from one Vark attack. (He defended one more attack from a Vark and fled the engagement without taking a wound from the Vark.)

Raelin took 4 from an ice shard early on and was finished off not too much later. Martial also took 4 from an ice shard towards the end of the game. The Varks made quick work of all of my pirates. 2-3 died to lava as well. Nilfheim having flying and 3 ranged attacks per turn was pretty powerful on this map.

I won with a 1-life Nilfheim and Elaria with full life.

Stats:
Spoiler Alert!

Well played @AgentWard ! Very happy to get my first Heroscape tournament win!
Old July 5th, 2020, 01:09 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: OHS 36 - Heat & Insanity - CONGRATS MTL1998!

Congrats mtl! I thought your gameplay this event was really high level and you did a better job unlocking the format than just about anyone.

On that note, I'd like to dive into some thoughts on Insanity of Battle, since this was the first event that ever used it.

IoB has a very different metagame than Heat of Battle.

There were many army pairs (including my own) where one army was stronger than the other in Heat, but it flipped the other way in Insanity. Heat of Battle allows for setting up in a pod, or protecting vulnerable pieces, or saving something for endgame, in a way that is much more difficult in IoB. IoB really forces you to be able to work with your entire army at once.

Honestly, I think we probably shouldn't have paired the two formats the way we did in this event. Designing for an IoB meta was already a big challenge, and asking people to consider HoB at the same time forced too many considerations in army submissions.

IoB makes placement more critical than either HoB or CoB.

In Heat of Battle, I often feel that after the first couple placements by each player, the rest ends up being pretty by-the-numbers. You just kind of fill out the area where you are putting your army. To a lesser extent this is true in CoB - players just sort of stash their opponent's army where they want then continue to fill out that area.

In IoB, the ability to place either your own figures or your opponents' creates the potential for any spot to quickly become a "hot zone". You can put opponent's figures in a vulnerable spot, and on your next turn put your figures in a good spot to attack them. While I often don't care that much about my later turns in HoB placement, in IoB I really want all the placements. I really like this aspect of IoB.

Explosion/Whirlwind attacks have a big impact in the IoB meta, especially with auto-initiative.

There were 4 or 5 games over the course of the event where one player was able to set up a massive opening attack with an explosion-type or whirlwind-type attack on the first turn, in a way that really can't be done in any other format. To a good extent this was due to a lack of recognition of the potential by their opponent, but it's definitely a possibility even if you see it coming and try to prevent it.

This was significantly aided by the auto-initiative factor, which allowed players who had the opening initiative to be much more aggressive in their placements. I haven't run the numbers but I think auto-init was a huge factor in IoB wins. We should probably lose auto-init if we run this format again.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events