Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old July 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker
Climb and Engagement

There's something I've been wondering about concerning
the Climb ability. I've searched around and haven't found anything about this, so I figured I might as well ask.

The ability Climb says:
When moving up or down levels of terrain, (name of figure) may double/triple (depending on whether it's X2 or X3) their height.

My question is:
There is a Fyorlag Spider on a height 1 space and there is an enemy figure on a height 4 space next to the spider. Obviously they are not considered to be engaged. However, If the spider moves onto a height 2 space that is still next to the enemy figure (and for some reason has to use Climb X3 - say there's a battlement in the way) its height would temporarily become 6 (because Climb X3 triples height). Does it become momentarily engaged with the figure on the height 4 space? Furthermore, after moving onto the height 2 space and ending its movement, its height would revert to 2. Would it take a leaving engagement attack because it is no longer engaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Climb and Engagement

Climb never affects height.

It only affects how high you can climb in one turn. Your stated height is what you must use to determine if engaged or not.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier in a thread titled "Battlements and Disengage" that I found searching
Originally Posted by Kahrma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDD
I hope that engagement on the same hex gets an answer in the faq too (a ruling like: "if two figures occupy the same space they are considered engaged" would do it, I think)

I see no reason for a separate ruling. I'd consider "moving through another figure" (ala ghost walk, phantom walk) similar to moving over a wall/battlement, or falling past other hexes. You can't stop in the middle, so engagement would only be checked (a) on the hex you left from, and (b) on the hex you wound up on.

You don't check for Nakita "engagement strike" when climbing a battlement from one engaged space to another around a Nakita - why would you check for engagement strike when walking from one engaged space to another through a Nakita?

Agreed.
Engagement is checked on the hex you left from and the hex you arrive on, not in the middle. Therefore, the spider is safe.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Climb never affects height.
Actually, the power explicitly says that it does affect height:

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb x3
...may triple their height.
However, engagement is only checked on each hex of your move, not between, I think, so you're OK.
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

No, it doesn't, for sake of engagement.

Quote:
hen moving up or down levels of terrain, (name of figure) may double/triple (depending on whether it's X2 or X3) their height.
They do not suddenly become 2 or 3 times taller - they only double or triple their height for the sole purpose of movement, nothing else at all.

EDIT:

What I mean is that their power is that they are excellent climbers, being able to climb better than their height would otherwise suggest. The converse being is that their height does NOT actually increase when climbing.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Last edited by jschild; July 21st, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
However, engagement is only checked on each hex of your move, not between, I think, so you're OK.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

On the card it says that climb doesn't affect engagement only moving up and down levels.

I love it when a plan comes together!
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullar/utgar own View Post
On the card it says that climb doesn't affect engagement only moving up and down levels.
Because they don't "grow", they are just good climbers.

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:59 AM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullar/utgar own View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyorlag Spiders Army Card
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Fyorlag Spiders may tripple their height.
I don't see where it says anything about it not affecting engagement.
But yes, since engagement/disengagement is only considered when a figure is on a hex, not in between. It's like when a figure falls off a cliff and passes by an enemy on the way down. You don't roll for disengagement because you were never engagned on a particular hex.

Side Note: I just noticed that you may add height when moving up or down. This means that when falling, you could choose to roll for falling damage even if the drop was not more than 5 high.I can't think of many situations where this would be advantageous. Maybe if Cyprien were almost dead and you didn't want your spiders to give him easy life. I just thought this would be something worth pointing out.

Old July 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

A picture is worth a thousand words ...

(click for larger image)

The orange circle is the starting postition for our spider, the green circle is one of your opponent's spiders, and the blue/cyan circle is your spider at the end of his move.

Now, on the right example, using the ladder to get up the four hexes, your spider would become engaged and leave engagement when he got to the top (per the FotA rule book).

In the example on the left, I would think the spider using climb would also become engaged and then disengage when going from the orange circle to the blue/cyan circle. However, it sounds like most of you are saying that the spider wouldn't become engaged. I think I will respectfully disagree with that opinion -- but I'll keep checking the rule book.
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words ...

(click for larger image)

The orange circle is the starting postition for our spider, the green circle is one of your opponent's spiders, and the blue/cyan circle is your spider at the end of his move.

Now, on the right example, using the ladder to get up the four hexes, your spider would become engaged and leave engagement when he got to the top (per the FotA rule book).

In the example on the left, I would think the spider using climb would also become engaged and then disengage when going from the orange circle to the blue/cyan circle. However, it sounds like most of you are saying that the spider wouldn't become engaged. I think I will respectfully disagree with that opinion -- but I'll keep checking the rule book.
With the ladder, their would be engagement, since the spider is occupying a 'space'. With the 'climb' version, the spider is never in a 'space' except at the begging and end of its move.

This has been discussed previously and a clarification given. I can't recall the exact context of the discussion, but I will attempt to find the relevant thread..
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The space occupied is called a ladder rung space or just rung space. With climb there are no spaces being occupied.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's