Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old February 17th, 2019, 02:38 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Leo's Custom Units

Hey Leo, glanced through your units. I would suggest possibly using the X2 Card creator to make mock ups of your cards, and you may get more feedback on them. When people can visually see your card in a rough draft it helps them more quickly address where things are and also the visual of a picture keeps peoples interest. I really like the idea of the Praetorian Body Guards. I think at one point in time I had made some customs like that. Extra defense boosts with Raelyn kind of kills those for me though. Maybe a different take on defending their liege without adding defense dice?

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 17th, 2019, 04:54 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Agreed on the Card Creator. It's pretty quick if you use this link, although you'll have more freedom in PhotoShop. You can also directly embed images to the site by using [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] tags, placing the direct URL link in-between. You can just upload the pictures to imgur or some other photo-hosting site to get a more proper link.

I don't agree that the defense boost with Raelin will be that big of a problem, though. While boosting defense dice a lot can be frustrating, I don't think that it's an avenue that we should avoid altogether because of her. Thorgrim and Raelin together aren't that overwhelming, in my opinion, so I don't think that another defense adjacency boost (albeit all Einar units is a pretty big list) can't work.

It's definitely worth testing them with Raelin whenever you get the chance, though. R˙chean showed me pretty quickly how horrifying Romans with Raelin can be. It's always worth keeping her in mind, sadly.
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:41 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Agreed on the Card Creator. It's pretty quick if you use this link, although you'll have more freedom in PhotoShop. You can also directly embed images to the site by using [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] tags, placing the direct URL link in-between. You can just upload the pictures to imgur or some other photo-hosting site to get a more proper link.

I don't agree that the defense boost with Raelin will be that big of a problem, though. While boosting defense dice a lot can be frustrating, I don't think that it's an avenue that we should avoid altogether because of her. Thorgrim and Raelin together aren't that overwhelming, in my opinion, so I don't think that another defense adjacency boost (albeit all Einar units is a pretty big list) can't work.

It's definitely worth testing them with Raelin whenever you get the chance, though. R˙chean showed me pretty quickly how horrifying Romans with Raelin can be. It's always worth keeping her in mind, sadly.
I actually use the x2 and photoshop together but some folks cant get ps. As a rough draft the card creator version and also a pic of the mini will do. There are people like myself that would quickly throw the mini image and hitzone onto your x2 card and repost for you. A simple tag asking to is no trouble as it takes me only a minute to do it and it looks great.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:00 PM

Leo Ultra is surprisingly tart

Hey TREX, thanks for stopping by! I would really like to get images for the praetors, but I'm not entirely set on which miniatures I should use for them yet. There are a few spear users in the MTG sets which would be fine to represent them I think, but they're certainly not roman. I am, of course, more than open to any suggestions!

I wish you high rolls, fair winds, and following seas.
I am a proud member of Platyfly!, a sketch comedy YouTube channel dedicated to giving Platypi the Flying Special Power!
Old June 20th, 2020, 11:44 AM

Updates have occurred! I have added the Bloodstained Hunter, Ember Lich, and Diviner Marion under the Maybe Someday Serious Units and totally overhauled Mardrivell's design, which hopefully now fits with HS standard wording and terminology if nothing else.

I also moved the K-9s to the Serious Units section, so I'm looking to make something of them if I can find an appropriate set of minis. Phitocron's Mini Mini Gun S.A. has been edited to make it a bit more thematic, since it is intended to represent a tiny Gatling gun.

I am a proud member of Platyfly!, a sketch comedy YouTube channel dedicated to giving Platypi the Flying Special Power!
Old September 7th, 2020, 05:55 PM

Introducing the Oni Mage, the newest addition to the Yokai faction Astroking and I have been working on!

Figure’s name is Ogre Mage.

Up until now, we’ve seen Masha Shingai as a defensive terror, Kincho as a positioning faciliator, Nure Onna as a melee shark that hunts weakened prey, and Abe no Seimei himself in the commanding role! The faction has a weakness against squads, though, especially since they lack bonding shenanigans and can often make just one attack per turn. Nure Onna addresses this to a degree with her Paralyzing Trap, but she is still limited to 1 range and can quickly be killed by the opponent. The Oni Mage serves as the more consistent and lasting answer to squads that the Yokai faction requires.

Oni’s Burning Rage: 5 life with 6 defense seems intimidating, however these Oni disregard their defenses as they become enraged. For each revealed Order Marker on their card, an Oni Mage’s defense is reduced by 1. Since revealed Order Markers are also necessary to boost their offense, when an Oni Mage is geared up to face whole squads it will be down to just 2 or 3 defense, making them much more vulnerable. Meanwhile, such intense rage allows one of them to attack twice when three revealed Order Markers are present on his card, which makes the following Special Attack much stronger.

Chaos Burst Special Attack: The Oni Mages cast a spell of chaotic destruction that requires time to charge up. Though it may seem a bit confusing at first, the power is easy to remember: The more Order Markers revealed on an Oni Mage, the higher the attack dice of their Special Attack; for each skull rolled, the attack can affect an additional enemy figure.

The Mage’s low move of 4, combined with a base range of 3 on its Special Attack, makes for a slow but imposing disaster when alone; combined with Shapeshifters from Abe no Seimei however, the Oni Mage gains a much-needed capacity to dive in and out of the fray. The Mage is also Uncommon, allowing several to be taken into battle and filling out the ranks of the Yokai faction.

Last edited by Leo Ultra; September 7th, 2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added an image of the “Ogre Mage” figure.
Old September 9th, 2020, 09:15 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey, Leo! I like the bones of this design as a way for the Yokai to get in multiple attacks per turn. I am a bit concerned about several factors, though (most of which I've expressed to you privately already, but it never hurts to try again ).

The most immediate one is probably the durability. For just 85 points, 5L/6D is a lot of tankiness to distract opponents with. Ne-Gok-Sa is an immediate example that comes to mind--he has the exact same durability, but trades one less attack for one more move (there's also Mindshackle 20, but that's a very low chance of occurring). Much of his value comes from his sheer tankiness for 90 points, able to engage opponents and make them worry about that 5% chance for a 20 and absorb attacks. He's also Unique, whereas the Oni Mage is actually cheaper and can be taken in multiples. Of course, Ne-Gok-Sa bonds and is faster, but via Seimei's Shapeshifting, I'm not sure that you'd ever need to put an OM on the Oni Mage, either. Simply shifting a vulnerable hero like Nure Onna out of the fray and engaging opponents with a 5L/6D tank is super powerful.

I think that the "all-or-nothing" nature of Oni's Burning Rage plays into this quite a bit. In practice, I feel like the Oni Mage will only ever get OM3 (while Seimei will have charged him up throughout the round with Night of the Yokai), shift with a frontline Yokai, and nuke some figures. One turn later (assuming that you won initiative), he's back up to full defense, and you can start loading up another Oni Mage in your Starting Zone to rinse and repeat. Perhaps an OM can be spared for Masha's Terror of the Honorless, but honestly, I think that the points would probably be better spent on another Oni Mage anyway.

Because of this, I'm a bit concerned about him essentially squeezing out some of the other Yokai from the faction. For example, I don't think that I'd want to take both Nure Onna and an Oni Mage in the same army, given how they both practically necessitate all of your OMs. I think that a good way of addressing this could be to reduce the durability to at least 4L/5D to start with--this makes them less effective as outright tanks and makes it a little more palatable to take intermittent turns with them. I'm not a big fan of raising their points above ~85 to account for their toughness--I think that we need to try and keep them a little on the cheap side to help fill out the Yokai faction and provide more Shapeshifting opportunities.

Finally, I also think that it's worth considering simplifying the Chaos Burst Special Attack a bit. It's simple enough to remember (choose an additional figure for each skull rolled), but I'm a bit concerned about all of the potential rules interactions with powers like Vanish and Disappearing Ninja. I tried to suggest the best wording that I could, but I'm sure that it'd still cause quite a few rules conundrums. There's also the fact that Abe no Seimei practically adds 3 abilities to every Yokai card (sorry about that), which makes for a potentially very complicated design with a high learning curve. Spitballing a potential idea that simplifies the mechanics but would still play fairly similarly:

Quote:
CHAOS BURST SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 3 + Special. Attack 3 (or 4).
Choose a figure to attack. You may also choose up to X other figures within 4 clear sight spaces of the targeted figure to be affected by Chaos Burst Special Attack. X equals the number of revealed Order Markers on this Army Card. Roll attack dice once for all figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.
That unfortunately uses the 'X equals' terminology from Sir Gilbert (IMO, we really should try to avoid using that wording when possible, especially in a faction that already heavily uses the "X" Order Marker, but I digress). I think that it's a fair bit simpler, though, which really helps both sides remember what each of the Yokai are capable of. Notably, this would also do a good job of addressing my main concern above by reducing the "all-or-nothing" aspect of this design. The Oni Mage would still be able to defend like nobody's business, but it might be worthwhile to drop just 1 or 2 OMs on them every so often to pull off a SA against 3-4 figures. Of course, the potential for a double attack at 3 OMs is still super tempting.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the Oni Mage. I think that overall, this direction is a fun addition to the faction, and I like how the slow move and "low range" synergizes nicely with Shapeshift and the various faster Yokai. Keep up the work!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards