Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion regarding the Occupy Movements?
There is an Occupy movement in my town, and I support these people and their cause. 14 19.72%
There isn't an Occupy movement in my town, and I support these people and their cause. 7 9.86%
There is an Occupy movement in my town, and I disapprove of these people and their cause. 14 19.72%
There isn't an Occupy movement in my town, and I disapprove of these people and their cause. 19 26.76%
Who? I don't really understand this movement, or what it stands for. 17 23.94%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!
Occupy Opinions?

Hey all. I just attended my first Occupy Taos Event. I'm curious about the community's opinion is regarding not just Occupy Wall Street, but any Occupy movement, especially any ones that might be going on in your town.
Old November 12th, 2011, 05:50 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Occupy Opinions?

Support how?

I support their right to protest. Does that count?
Old November 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

There is one here in Baltimore, but really it looks like a homeless encampment. What's their point, I don't get it. I support the right to protest, and I'm not a fan of government at all. However, it looks like a group of people got together and said "let's all pitch tents and "protest"".

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old November 12th, 2011, 06:40 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I went to occupy wallstreet and they gave me a shirt. They're A-Okay in my book.
Old November 12th, 2011, 06:56 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
I went to occupy wallstreet and they gave me a shirt. They're A-Okay in my book.
Some people are easily swayed
Old November 12th, 2011, 07:04 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

There's one in Providence, and generally speaking the government has been very supportive of what they're doing and there's been no instances of violence, inappropriateness with the protestors, etc, etc. The only problem is, is the mayor told the protestors "We're worried about your safety. Please vacate by X date, but in recognition of what you are doing we will give you both your chance to speak to us and a chance to let your voices be heard amongst the people and give you a place to protest during the day. We don't want anyone getting harmed with the temperatures falling.". The protestors have ignored that call. They received something more powerful than what they are doing, and they ignored it and slapped the government in the face. As liberal as I am, this was utterly stupid.

But, I don't support the movement and not because of what they're doing...mostly due to their strategy behind it.

Many of the people protesting have been camped out for at least a month (in Providence at least this is the case), and depending on the location the protests have everything to do with student loans, to government problems, to issues with the banks. I have not heard of anything regarding a singular national leadership or a singular national stance regarding what they are protesting. I've driven past the Providence camp a number of times and there are signs protesting the war, taxes, the sins of the banking industry, and everything in between. I'm just wondering what they think they will accomplish?

Look at all of the great protests, Ghandi and the British occupation, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, etc, etc. They all had a single stance. They all had leadership. The occupy movements don't. What this is akin to is the protests of the Vietnam War in the 60's which generally speaking lacked any sort of leadership and singular stance. What the occupy protests seem to say is "We'll sit here and camp out and everyone will listen to us and we'll throw all of our issues against the wall and see what sticks.".

I don't see that happening. Give me a singular stance that goes across the board, and let me see who the true leadership is. If this movement is to hold any future power and any validity, it needs both of these things and until I see them...I sadly cannot support it.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Support how?

I support their right to protest. Does that count?
What I mean is, do you support the cause. Their right to protest is not an issue, they have that right, provided they stay within legal limits.
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:40 PM
has been BANNED

When the Occupy Wall Street folks started complaining about the homeless showing up Ducati Park it made their whole "We are the 99%" battle cry seem a little disingenuous. Unless they were multimillionaire homeless then they had a point.
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
There is one here in Baltimore, but really it looks like a homeless encampment. What's their point, I don't get it. I support the right to protest, and I'm not a fan of government at all. However, it looks like a group of people got together and said "let's all pitch tents and "protest"".
I'll admit, that's a bit unfortunate. It's a bad image for the protestors. The Occupy Taos movement, the one I attended, is just starting, and the thing is, it's mostly, ah, shall we say elder citizens. I'm really the only person under 35 who was there, so I doubt there's going to be much tent pitching. Also, Occupy Taos is just in its infancy, so people are still figuring things out. Anyway, back to the whole tent thing, I personally don't think that's the best plan when it comes to protest, as it can severely annoy the public. However, I feel this clip, linked below, is a bit extreme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLC5Kg1xIw
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!

I think there are a lot of spoiled children out there that need to face reality and cowboy up.

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:21 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One of the local radio stations went down one morning a couple weeks ago to the "Occupy Toledo" protest, which really hasn't amounted to much yet.

The radio guy interviewed one of the lead protesters. It went something like this:

Q: "So, what's "Occupy Toledo". What are you guys doing out here?"

A: "We're just trying to get out and spread our message"

Q: "And your message is?"

A: "Ahaha, good question. It has something to do with money...or jobs...or...something. I honestly don't exactly know for sure."

Q: "So, you've been out here for a week or so, what are you doing about work?"

A: Yea, I'm kinda not doing the whole 'work' thing anymore, that's why I'm hanging out here."

Q: How many people do you guys have out here now?"

A: "Lemme see, 5...6...7, yea 7 people. We had a lot more, but I don't know where they went. Oh, I forgot to count the people under the tarp. We're up to 11 right now."

Q: "Really, what are you doing out here?"

A: "To be honest, free food. I walked by one day and they were frying up some bacon, and I've been here ever since."

Not being a fan of the whole occupy thing to begin with, then hearing this on the radio about the local one, I can't say I support the whole movement. The time and resources can be spent a lot better in my opinion.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:30 PM

suquamish is surprisingly tart

Quote:
I think there are a lot of spoiled children out there that need to face reality and cowboy up.
Given that some of these folks have been shot at with rubber bullets and tear gassed, and yet still protest by occupying, they've pretty much cowboy'd up long ago.

There's occupy in Minneapolis, but it's been anemic compared to a few of other ones that catch the presses attention. On the whole, I think they've done a better job picking something to protest. They tend to cycle through a particular social problems, and stay focused on them for long enough to get a message out.

Mostly, I get the primary message: Socialized loss and privatized gain ain't cool.

That's pretty easy to support. I really wish the movement could get just a little cohesive and say that. The problem is there are so many problems they're protesting that are permutations of the basic message that they get lost in their own din.

Last edited by suquamish; November 12th, 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General