Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Notices

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Re: davidlhsl's Guide to Superhero Customs

Chapter 3.2: Rebasing

Hahma's Rebasing Tutorial
GreyOwl's Base Stickers (you'll find it in the listing)
My idea for ladder bases
Wooden discs for ladder bases: www.craftparts.com

Heroclix figures use a very clever method to indicate stats by displaying them in a window on the base of the figure. As the figure takes damage, you rotate the base to change the stats displayed. This means that a unit’s stats actually change as it takes damage. After the unit takes a certain level of damage, KO appears in the window to indicate the figure is knocked out.

Many who play Superhero customs using Heroscape rules aren’t really interested in playing Heroclix, so those stats are really meaningless. In order to make their figures look as if they were actually part of Heroscape, many cut the Heroclix figures from their bases and glue them onto plastic bases.

Hahma has created a fantastic tutorial on how to do this, and that is the first link I’ve provided. In his tutorial, he references stickers available from Cavalier. I’ve linked GreyOwl’s base stickers, because you can download those and print on label sheets for free. Well, his templates are free; the label sheets and printer ink aren’t. For the bases, most people recommend Impact Miniatures, and you can find the link in Hahma's tutorial. If you have any extra Classic Heroscape figures, you can cut those figures from their bases and use those.

Rebasing is mostly an aesthetic preference. I don't mind the original Heroclix bases, but I don't care for most of the figures that are on flying stands, which elevate the figure above the base. I have rebased those figures, and I may even rebase the others. The bases I use aren't the recommended bases, as they don't fit on ladders. However, the textured top makes the base look great without requiring any stickers. Here's a picture of some of the figures, including some figures I rebased on wooden discs before getting the plastic bases:

Spoiler Alert!

One very compelling reason for rebasing is that the Heroclix bases do not work with Heroscape’s castle set ladder rungs. This is a significant concern, because the castle set actually works better for Superheroes than they do in Classic Scape. Heroclix bases can work on ladder rungs if you remove the stats part from the base and do some adjusting, but that’s a lot of trouble and probably will end looking worse. However, I have created a solution to this problem. Please click the link above for my idea for ladder bases. I have been using this method since playing Superhero Scape, and it works like a charm.

So you really don’t need to rebase your Heroclix figures unless you want to. And if you do want to, Hahma’s tutorial is really easy to follow and implement. One piece of advice you need to heed if you decide to try this:

ALWAYS CUT AWAY FROM YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by davidlhsl; March 10th, 2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: I'm using different bases for my figures
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Chapter 3.3: Proxies

My Proxy Thread
Battle Pictures where many proxies are used
A Great Proxy Idea you might consider

A proxy, for purposes of this discussion, refers to an object used in place of an intended object when playing Heroscape. The object can be a figure, game piece, token, or terrain piece. As I mentioned in my Q&A, chess players use proxies when they play chess with those fancy chess sets using figures from the Revolutionary War, Star Trek, or Greek Mythology. You could, theoretically, play Heroscape (Classic or Superhero) entirely with proxies. My proxy thread, the first link above, gives such an example.

That is the theory. Now here’s the reality: If you’re playing a game where Batman faces off against the Joker, you would like to see a Batman figurine sitting on a map facing a Joker figurine. That is, after all, the main appeal of Heroscape in the first place. Having a Gorillinator used to proxy Batman sitting on the map facing a Nikita Agent used to proxy Joker is still playable. But it’s not quite the same, is it?

There’s simply no way to avoid using proxies. Some figures are unavailable, and some figures that are available are simply too expensive. Take a look at the pictures I took of a battle I recently played, using the units from C3G Wave Four, by clicking on the second link above. Here, I’m actually using several proxies. The yellow guy you see is supposed to be Sinestro, but I’m actually using a modified Amon Sur figure. That big blue (or is he purple?) figure you see is supposed to be a Green Lantern Construct. Yes, GREEN! Those white figures at the bottom portion of the third picture are actually some of my Star Wars minis I proxied for the HYDRA Agents, which are… wait for it… also supposed to be green as well. Did the battle suffer as a result? I didn’t think so. Would it have been better if I had the actual figures. Maybe.

If you purchase your figures as singles from vendors such as the ones listed in Chapter 3.1, then it's a good idea to also browse through the other singles sold for other miniatures games to find proxies. Examples include all of the Clix line (Horror/Halo), Dreamblade, Star Wars Miniatures, and Mage Knight.

Here’s the bottom line when it comes to the success or failure of a proxy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ”David’s Golden Rule of a Good Proxy”
A good proxy is one where it is clearly evident to all players what the proxy is supposed to represent.
It’s really that simple. For me, all of the proxy figures I used in the aforementioned battle were pretty obvious to me what they were supposed to represent. That blue (or purple?) Iron Man figure was obvious to me that it was a Green Construct because the intended figure for the Green Construct is also a very tall figure. It was the size of the proxy that made it obvious. The intended figure for Sinestro, which currently costs over $50, is in a Yellow Lantern outfit. The Amon Sur figure is a Yellow Lantern. I used a permanent black marker to draw hair on it and smudge a moustache on its face to make it look similar to Sinestro, because the Amor Sur figure is also the figure C3G selects to use for the Sinestro Corps Soldier Uncommon Hero. I had to modify the Amon Sur figure I use for Sinestro; because I will play a battle in the future with both Sinestro and the Sinestro Corps Soldiers, and I have to be able to tell those apart as well.

The success or failure of a proxy is based on whether or not you can find a proxy that is similar enough to the intended figure that all players can readily identify it. There are no rules that I can etch in stone, because what may seem obvious to me might not be to you. Those of you with painting and modding talent can take it on your own, because you have the skills needed to make your own great proxies. For the rest of us, there are some rules of thumb I can offer.

First of all, a good proxy will have features similar to the intended figure. Examples of features to look for are size, color, costume or outfit, and pose. The more matching characteristics you can find, the better the proxy will be. That Iron Man figure I used was originally purchased for use as a C3G Sentinel figure. But C3G has other oversized figures, such as Anti-Monitor and that Green Construct. As long as I only need one in a battle, then that Iron Man works perfectly for me due to its size. If I ever decide to pit a Green Construct in an army against the Anti-Monitor, then I will need to find another proxy to replace one. An obvious choice might be for me to head back to the toy department and search for something with some green in it.

Characteristics might also be abstract as well as physical. For example, I think Zombies would be good proxies for C3G's Civilians from seeing "Dawn of the Dead." I once used Star Wars' Tusken Raiders to proxy C3G's Street Thugs, because I considered both to be wild and violent. As long as your opponent shares or understands your rationale, then you will have a good proxy.

A second rule is that the fewer proxies you have to use, the more flexibility you have in selecting a proxy. If you don’t have a Batman figure, but you have all of the other figures you need for a battle, then the proxy you use for Batman will likely stand out on the battlefield by virtue of the fact that it’s the only figure that isn’t properly represented. I did this purely in jest as part of a battle story I was writing, but I once used a Heroscape Goblin Cutter figure as a proxy for Batman. I never had problems during the game telling which figure was supposed to be Batman; because Robin, the Riddler, Poison Ivy, and Alfred were all represented in the game using the correct figures. If I had used proxies for all of the figures, then it would have been very easy for me to lose track of which figure is supposed to represent what without putting more thought into which proxies I was using.

A final rule is that squad figures are the easiest figures to proxy in Superhero Scape. Why? Well, in Classic Heroscape, you will probably draft more than one different type of squad unit. But in Superhero Scape, squad figures are more unusual. When squad figures are used, then each side will very likely only draft one type of squad anyway. The squad proxies will be more obvious by the fact that you will have multiples on the battlefield. In my proxy thread, you will find pictures where I've shown how Icehouse pyramids can make good proxies for squads.

Squad figures in Superhero Scape actually have some great proxies in the Classic Heroscape set. I’ll use C3G’s squads to illustrate. Civilians? How about Mohican River Tribe or Zombies? 5th Precinct Beat Cops? How about Blastatrons, 4th Massachusetts, or Knights of Weston? Street Thugs? How about MacDirk Warriors or Anubian Wolves? Hand Ninja? How about Shaolin Monks or Ashigaru Yari? (You might wonder why I didn’t recommend Ninjas of the North Wind. That’s a Unique Squad, so you won’t likely have multiples.) HYDRA Agents? Greenscale Warriors. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Microcorp Agents.

If you still can’t find a suitable proxy, there is still hope. Please click the third link at the top of this chapter, where I have a pretty good solution that you might like.

Proxies may not be as nice as the actual figures; but I find that once the game begins, my imagination takes over. If you only stick with figures you can purchase, you're limiting your collection. With proxies, the entire customs world is at your disposal.

Last edited by davidlhsl; January 14th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Chapter 3.4.1: Tweaking – Introduction

Competitive Unit Congress
GreyOwl's Customizing Compendium

There are several reasons people shy away from customs. The two most prevalent and compelling reasons are portability and balance.

What I mean by portability is the ability to take the customs you use and play them beyond your normal circle. One of the great aspects of Heroscape is the community that grows around it. There are local gaming sessions and tournaments that appear all the time. However, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to take a collection of customs to a new gaming group and have them accepted by the group. Tournaments are strictly out of the question.

But that also applies to custom rules, point levels, and drafting habits as well. The tournament scene and social gaming gatherings don’t prevent people from playing their own maps, scenarios, modded figures and terrain, drafting methods and/or restrictions, and custom rules when they play within their regular group (family members, friends, or local gaming club). So there shouldn’t be any reason people should feel squeamish about working customs into their collections for their own personal pleasure.

The second point, however, is a more pressing concern. With the official game, two people should be able to draft the same point level of armies and be reasonably assured of a fair contest. When you throw customs into the equation, you can’t be guaranteed that one 700 point army will offer a fair contest with a different 700 point army.

This is because customs creators simply don’t have the time or personnel necessary to extensively playtest the units they design, so they can only assign costs as best they can. Since nobody beyond Craig van Ness, truth, Grungebob, and the others who have worked behind the scenes really know how costs are determined for the official figures; intuition, experience, and cross-referencing with official units are the only options available. C3G actually has an advantage over other customs designers due to the rigorous playtesting, active participation from members and non-members alike, and extensive experience of its membership.

But the concerns and realities extend beyond mere costing. There are also balance issues related to the stats and special abilities as well. Some special powers sound pretty good on paper, but actually break down when combined with other units or simply put into an actual game. This is where tweaking becomes useful.

I’m probably leaving the impression that the customs world is a huge, sloppy mess. In my own personal experience with customs, I really don’t find that many that I have really felt needed tweaking other than in costing. The Superhero customs community has, I believe, gained more experience in creating customs than the experience of customs creators for Classic Heroscape. This is due to the fact that the official Marvel set had been discontinued very early, which prompted a greater need for customs. Superhero customs creators help each other with their designs, so there is a lot of discussion that takes place when a designer creates a custom.

So don’t read this thinking you’re going to have a mountain of units to tweak. I just want you to have the tweaking option as a tool for making things play the way you want when they don’t work, and that’s the purpose of this chapter.

The thought of tweaking might make you break into cold sweats or turn you completely off. I think most people would prefer being able to play a unit “as is” without making any changes. But there are a few things you should consider before you write it off completely:

People tweak the official game as well.
The first link is to a fascinating project called the Competitive Unit Congress. These are people who think there are official units that don’t get gameplay because they perform so poorly during a game (I’m looking at you, Templar Cavalry!). This group proposes and votes on modifications on units to make them more competitive. That does sacrifice the unit’s portability (you won’t likely find others, and certainly no tournaments, who would accept them), but those who adopt the changes likely see more play from those figures. Whether you agree with the project or disagree, that thread is a very worthy lurk.

Many customs that have been created are actually tweaks themselves.
Most customs designers actually draw inspiration from one another. One of the reasons people get into designing customs in the first place is to have a set of figures that they want to play. They may, like you, want to play Batman, but might not find a version of Batman anywhere that perfectly fits their own image of him. So that person will likely say, “Ah, I really like Batman X’s movement, but Hawkman Y has a cool special attack that I like that would work really well for Batman.” So that designer will take bits and pieces from various customs, and splice them together.

Many times, a customs designer will actually like a particular custom (or one spliced from several others), but may have a new mechanic that nobody else has used to add to the mix. So a lot of the customs that you see haven’t been created from scratch. It isn’t very efficient to reinvent the wheel every time. So when you decide to tweak a particular custom, you’re actually drawing inspiration from an existing custom to essentially design your own. Even if it’s as simple and changing the Life or Defense value, you’re making your own custom.

To play is better than to not play
If you want to play a particular figure (or figures); and you wait for the perfect version to arrive, you aren’t playing that figure. So the only thing you can do is simply wait. But if you’re willing to take something that’s already out there and make any changes you think needs to be made, you get to play that figure and have fun with it. It may take a few games before you can dial it into something you want, but at least you’re able to get enjoyment from it now rather than later.

It isn't necessary to wait for a customs developer to build your perfect custom. They have their own ideas, design philosophies, and ways of playing. But you can take those ideas, mold them to your own vision, and play them the way that you want to play.

Tweaking is educational.
Ok, I’ve probably lost a lot of people with that one. “If I want to learn, I’ll go to school!” No, I mean that when you start tweaking and watching how the changes impact your games; you will begin to gain experience into why things are designed certain ways, why things are worded certain ways, and how different elements of a figures stats impact the game. You’re gaining experience. In fact, you may find after tweaking, playing, and re-tweaking; that the original designer was right all along. That’s also valuable experience.

My second link above is to GreyOwl’s Customs Compendium. I’ve already linked it in his chapter, but this is really a great read if you want to learn from the pros what works and what doesn’t. Even if you don’t ever design customs yourself (I’m in that category), the information here will give you insight into what goes into a customs design that you can use when you begin tweaking.

Customs are, by definition, unofficial.
This, I think, is really a great perspective. I can understand the hesitation to tweak official figures, but customs aren’t official anyways. So, that should free you from the concerns about making any adjustments to the customs realm, as these figures will likely stay within your own gaming circle anyway.

Last edited by davidlhsl; January 11th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Chapter 3.4.2: Tweaking – The Power of Numbers

Heroscape is essentially a game of numbers: The number of attack dice, the number of defense dice, the number of shields on a die, the number of skulls on a die, the number it takes to move to an adjacent hex. It’s all in the numbers.

Most of you reading this already play Heroscape, so you know what the Movement number means and what the Life number means. This section will focus on the aspects of those numbers that might not be obvious.

Point Cost
The point cost of a figure represents the relative power level of that figure. It is essentially a composite of all the numbers and special powers that figure has. Ideally, a figure that costs 200 points will be twice as powerful as a figure costing 100. One army totaling 500 points should be evenly matched against another 500 point army.

But your experience with Heroscape probably tells you it isn’t that simple. Speaking just about Classic, I’ve played games where one army completely wiped out a comparably costed army because I played a ranged army against an all-melee one. An army with tight synergies among the units will likely fare better than an army simply tossed together. Common squads typically fare better against Heroes. The map design can influence the game balance.

Since customs aren’t able to go through the rigorous testing needed to pin down a cost (other than C3G), you should only use the points on a custom as a ballpark figure. The good news is that many customs creators have a lot of experience in design, and I’ve had some very close battles playing various customs without any adjustments. Where problems exists, you’ll find in most cases that the point cost will be the only thing you’ll need to adjust. As for the rest of the card, most customs will play fine as is, unless you have personal reasons for making additional adjustments. For example, you might want to make a figure more powerful or allow it to bond with a different figure.

There is one very easy way to have a balanced contest, regardless how lopsided the opposing sides. A game called Memoir 44 uses this, and it’s called Match Play. For those of you not familiar with Memoir 44, it’s a World War II game. Its focus is more on presenting historical battles rather than creating a balanced game, so most of the scenarios favor one side. Their solution: play two games, with each player playing one side in the first game and the other side in the second. Then, total the victory medals gained in both battles, and the player with the most medals is the winner.

In Heroscape, you can do something similar. Play a game, and record the winner, the number of the round and turn it ended, and the point value of surviving figures. Now swap sides and play again. If both players win one game, compare the results of the two games. Then declare a winner based on performance. This is completely up to you, but one idea is to declare the victor as the one who finished the game in the shortest time, with ties determined by points remaining. You might prefer to swap the order of that.

Although I don’t play competitively, I have actually used this idea in games I’ve played with family members. If I’ve played a game where one side wipes out the other, I’ll swap sides and play again. Even if you don’t play on a competitive level, games aren’t fun if you’re always getting creamed. You’d be surprised at how the mood of the players change when you swap sides and give the other side a chance at revenge.

Nevertheless, that’s simply a short-term fix, and most of us would just prefer to play one game between balanced forces. This is why you will want to tweak. When it comes to tweaking numbers, actual game play provides better feedback than just guessing.

I read a thread in the main forum some time ago where people indicated that they actually keep track of the way figures are drafted and whether or not they win. They perpetually adjust the cost of the units based on the results. What happens is that the figures that win often will have their points increased. Figures that lose often will have their points decreased. Eventually, the points begin to stabilize. I can’t recall the actual details or locate the specific thread, but that’s the basic idea. So as you actually play games with customs, you’ll get a feel for whether that figures is worth its points; and you can adjust accordingly.

There are more numbers than the ones on the right side of the card
Most people think of numbers primarily as the ones on the right side of the card. But there is a Height number on the left. The middle section with the Special Powers also have numbers, or numbers that make adjustments to other numbers. Special Attack numbers are pretty obvious, but you also need to consider abilities that modify attack and defense numbers as numbers. 20-sided die numbers are numbers. Elevation changes on a map are numbers to movement, attack, and defense. Number of figures in a squad are numbers. As stated at the beginning of this section, numbers are everywhere.

To illustrate how some abilities might not seem like numbers but actually are, let’s consider flying. What does flying do? It allows movement without factoring elevation changes. Flying is a number: an adjustment to the way the movement number is expended when moving from one hex to another. It’s all numbers.

Numbers do not exist in a vacuum
When you think about the numbers on a figure’s card, you likely think about them independently. However, the numbers actually gain value in relationship with other numbers. The most obvious relationship is the attack value vs. the defense value of the opponent. But there are other relationships as well.

The ability of a figure to survive on the battlefield is represented in the combination between the Life number and the Defense number. Most people probably think of one or the other. But they both work together. Think of two extreme examples: Deathwalker 9000 and C3G’s Catwoman. Deathwalker has a Defense of 9 and Life of 1. This combination makes it difficult to knock out, but one wound is enough to take it down. Catwoman is the opposite. She has a Defense of 2 and a Life of 9. She will take a lot of wounds, but her life keeps her in the game longer.

Other relationships to consider: flying/stealth flying with movement, attack bonuses with attack, defense bonuses with defense, number of squad figures and attack, height advantage with height of the figure with attack or defense, movement and attack or defense (more movement allows figures to gain height and reach glyphs more quickly), range and attack and opponent’s defense.

So with all the numbers that exist and all the ways those numbers interact with one another, problems can arise during a design. For example, a figure with 9 Life and 9 Defense will likely be broken. Taken individually, there doesn’t seem to be a problem. But combined, the figure would simply be too strong when played with other figures.

Tweaking numbers

I really don’t need to offer tweaking advice other than my rule to let actual game play lead the way. That’s because you know that you can increase or decrease the numbers as necessary, and you know how to add and subtract. But I hope my discussion on relationships makes you sensitive to the need to consider all the numbers, even if the result will be the adjustment of only one number.

In the next section, we’ll consider the Special Powers.

Last edited by davidlhsl; January 11th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Chapter 3.4.3: Tweaking – The Power of Words

You’ve probably had a moment in your life – either online or in reality -- where you’ve said something with one intention, and your words were interpreted another. You might’ve make a joke that either fell flat or was taken as an insult. You might’ve paid someone a compliment, and the person was offended. Or you might have said something with a clear understanding of what you mean, but your words might create confusion in the reader or listener.

Legal language is convoluted for a reason. Language is slippery. If you’re a politician, you probably know that and work it to your advantage. Pinning down language to remove misinterpretations can be a difficult project.

Browse through any customs design thread, and you’ll find pages where the precise wording of a unit’s ability is discussed. This isn’t a futile exercise among picky people. Customs designers know that they need to be precise in their language in order that people who play their customs will play them in the manner in which it was designed. In fact, Classic Heroscape also requires this precision as well.

The good news is that you won’t need to be as precise when you tweak the wording of an ability. It’s likely that when you write down an ability using your own language, you will be able to return later and understand what you meant. But customs designers who offer their designs to the general public have to be more precise. And there are many designers who simply aren’t skilled in grammar or spelling. So it’s not uncommon to read a card’s ability, and be confused on how it’s supposed to be used. Some issues you face will simply be a matter of getting the correct interpretation.

There are other issues regarding special abilities that do affect game balance, and some are quite significant. The wording may be perfectly fine, but the power may cause issues in game play. Those issues are very important to tweak. I’ve already discussed issues where numbers are concerned, so I’m primarily interested in addressing the non-numeric issues; as corrections are more complicated than simply adding or subtracting numerical stats.

When it comes to wording, you may be able to spot issues without even putting the figure into actual play. Game play is important for tweaking numbers, but many non-numeric issues are more intuitive. But game play will flush issues that get missed when you just study the custom.

Here are some areas you can expect to find. You will find that GreyOwl addresses some of these in his excellent Compendium, and he addresses many others I won’t mention.

Grammar and Spelling
Some people are more flexible on this than others. I’ve brought some matters to the designer’s attention where I’ve felt the designer welcomes such feedback or when a particular design is underway. But if there isn’t any impact on my understanding of the card, I won’t bother correcting or reprinting. Some people will notice these issues more, and they will need to rewrite in order to fix it. This is because, to them, these issues can be distracting.

The Squad Factor
The Squad Factor is a very common issue that arises in customs. Because Superhero Scape is primarily focused on heroes and not squads, some designers don’t really consider the impact that the abilities they design can have when played with squads. An ability that provides a bonus to other heroes may play very well, but will create problems when you apply them to squads.

The most common occurrence of this is when the ability refers to a figure. Without clarification, the word figure can refer to both a hero and a squad figure. If the power works well either way, then there’s no need for adjustment. But there are times when the usage can create confusion, or the ability should only works with heroes or squads. You’ll have to tweak the wording to clarify it. If it does apply to both heroes and squad figures, but only to specific ones (i.e., those within x spaces of a unit or terrain piece), then that clarification needs to be included in the ability.

The Size Factor
Most Superheroes are Medium, with some fluctuation between 4-6. There are some small, large, and huge figures; but most are medium. Therefore, customs creators don’t always think about an ability’s impact on the extremes – usually large and huge.

This issue isn’t as much of a game balance issue as much as it is a theme issue. For example, an ability might allow a figure to pick up and toss another figure. But that ability might not be thematic for tossing large or huge figures. It really depends on the ability. If you do encounter an ability that does something to a figure that seems weird due to its size, you might have to tweak it to clarify which sized figures it should apply.

Timing Issues
Some abilites don’t clearly identify precisely when they are supposed to occur during a turn. What about turns taken by figures from bonding rather than use of order markers, for example? These issues tend to occur for less experienced designers rather than the pros, as the pros tend to be very sensitive to these issues.

If you do run into timing issues, you may need to tweak the ability by specifying when it’s supposed to take place.

Synergy Issues
Some abilities play well in most cases, but create problems when another ability enters the picture. Abilities might actually amplify the effects of other abilities. You may need to tweak the ability by placing certain restrictions on it. These issues tend to arise through actual game play.

Confusing Abilities
Sometimes the wording of an ability is unclear on how it’s supposed to be used. I have a very difficult time with some of Classic Heroscape’s abilities. These tend to be issues with me rather than the game itself, so I tend to need some way to clarify those items for my own reference. This is usually through consulting the FAQ and the Books. Tweaking in these cases is merely rewriting the abilities in one’s own language.

Many customs designers will be happy to answer any questions about the way their customs work. If you get a response, you can make a note on your card to clarify it. In some cases, your question might signal to the designer the need to re-write the ability to clarify.

Compatibility
If you play solely C3G customs or Matt Helm’s customs, compatibility isn’t an issue. If you mix customs, you will find cases where different designs will clash. For example, one designer might create a synergy with Crime Lords, but another designer might use the term Boss instead. To reconcile these, you should determine for yourself which version you will use as your standard, and adjust the others accordingly.

Perhaps the most common compatibility issue between customs relates to robots. Classic Heroscape calls them Soulborgs. But when you're in the Star Wars universe, it's natural to call them Droids. Other terms that people use are Androids and Robots. In almost all cases, unless specifically indicated by the designer himself, all of these terms are interchangeable.

Cyborg is more tricky. A Cyborg is part man and part machine. Some customs designers simply use it interchangeably with Soulborgs, but some will consider it a separate designation. If both Cyborg and one or more of the other designations appear within the same customs group, then you will need to make a determination how to apply powers that reference only one (e.g., Omnicron Repulsor's EMP Response) when mixing. If a designer only selects one, then you can assume it's interchangeable with the other terms.

Customs designers simply cannot reconcile the customs they create with all of the others that exist, so it should be the responsibility of the player to reconcile these differences. It's really easy: simply set the standard, and tweak all other references to match your standard. If you use Soulborg as a standard, for example, then simply tweak all Droids, Robots, and Androids to be Soulborgs.

Theme Breaks
The Comics universe is a vast one. Even within a specific world, such as Superman or Batman, the individuals will change over time. Customs designers have their own interpretations of their favorite figures, but you might hold a different one. Therefore, you might need to tweak your favorite units in order for them to fit your own design.

In some case, you might actually find abilities that you don’t feel fit the figure. You will need to tweak in those cases as well.

One thing you might consider before tweaking is to consult other designs. You might find another designer who shares your vision.

I don’t have a background in the Comics universe, so I don’t notice these issues that much. For me, I enjoy having different versions of the same characters as alternate takes. In one game, I might like one version of Joker; but in a different game, I might want to play a different Joker.

Unused Abilities
Some abilities are designed in such a way that you would never use them, or they are so powerful that you would never use a different one. A common example is a special attack where you would always choose it instead of a normal attack. Or, it could be an ability that provides a bonus to a type of figure you never play.

Before you decide to tweak these, you need to consider whether there will ever be a use for it. Terrain bonuses are perfect examples. You might rarely play on a tundra map, but you should seriously consider leaving snow and ice bonuses on the card anyways for those times when you will play them. But there will be abilities that will always be useless, so those are good tweak candidates.

Don't confuse unused abilities with abilities the opponent might bypass through careful play. Sometimes, an ability is designed to force the opponent to play a certain way in order to bypass the ability. If that happens, it might be best to keep the ability. An unused ability that does need tweaking is one which is both unused, as well as having little to no impact on gameplay or strategy.

Scenario Tweaks
Sometimes you will set up a battle, draft figures, and decide that you want to introduce something into that specific game for one or more units. For example, you might allow each side to appoint a captain, that all figures other than the captains receive a +1 defense bonus as long as their captain is in play.

In these instances, it isn't necessary to tweak the card for future reference. If you do like the idea enough to use again, you might start a special journal just for scenario ideas.

Almost done!
Well, I haven’t been comprehensive, but I have provided enough examples that should give you ideas on how to fix areas you find. Always remember that you are tweaking for your own use, so you shouldn’t be shy or feel guilty about adjusting things to your liking. If you find areas that don’t work, you should be able to think of ways to fix them where they do work. The end product is an expansion to your gaming collection, and your tweaks can be the difference between figures that sit on the shelf and figures you actually put into action.

In the final section of this chapter, I’ll provide suggestions on how to document your adjustments.

Last edited by davidlhsl; April 3rd, 2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added paragraph to Unused Abilities
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Let me chime is and say as a custom creator, if you need to tweak a card for reasons other than making it more compatible with another persons customs, most of us would love to know what you changed and why. It may seriously help us improve our customs.

I find customs are a group effort, even Matt Helm collaborates with the community to hammer out his powers and produce a quality result.
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcglkn View Post
Let me chime is and say as a custom creator, if you need to tweak a card for reasons other than making it more compatible with another persons customs, most of us would love to know what you changed and why. It may seriously help us improve our customs.

I find customs are a group effort, even Matt Helm collaborates with the community to hammer out his powers and produce a quality result.
Thanks, tcglkn! I've considered commenting on how to approach the designers with issues one finds, but I've been very unsure about this.
Your input as a designer is very valuable.
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

With the exception of C3G, I don't believe any of the designers would be at all offended by any suggested tweaks to their customs.
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Chapter 3.4.4: Tweaking – Documenting your tweaks

I’ve spent the previous two sections discussing areas where you will tweak, but I haven’t offered a lot of advice for actual tweaking. I’ve been deliberately vague, because I want you to take from this chapter general ideas rather than specifics. Specifics would only be helpful against those cases, but a general discussion should allow you room for your own intuition and be useful in a wide variety of cases you may encounter – even those I haven’t mentioned. I do have some additional advice to provide before getting to the main topic of this section.

Whenever you play a figure, you generally have some idea as to how that figure is supposed to perform. It’s similar to room temperature – you only notice things when it gets too hot or too cold. If a unit wipes out several figures like a madman, takes tons of skulls from the opponent to take a wound, presents questions during game play, goes down in one hit from a weak figure, performs in a manner that is out of character for that figure, or activates a power more frequently than expected; then that will trigger a sense in the back of your mind that there is a problem beyond the fate of the dice.

Tweaking, then, is one or more adjustments that you make to a figure to either make it easier to understand, or to make it perform in a manner you feel is fair. If a figure is too powerful, ask yourself why. Then you could lower the attack, alter the d20 roll of any relevant abilities that affect the attack, or lower the number of attacks based on the situation that occurred during the game. If a figure is more difficult to take down than it should, you could lower the Life or Defense number, or lower any relevant d20 roll. Those are just two examples, and game play will usually provide a neon arrow pointing to the problem.

Actual game play is always better feedback, but simply reviewing the card can identify some issues. The more experience you have with Heroscape, the more likely you will be able to flag these areas without actual play.

If you do use game play for feedback, you should always factor the luck of the dice in your decision. Consider a figure that can roll a 20-sided die and eliminate a figure on a roll of 20. If you play a game and roll a 20 on the very first turn of the game, that isn’t an indicator that the ability is broken. You have to also consider the fact that it was a 5% chance of happening.

If you play a game and one side always defeats the other side, but each figure plays in a manner that isn’t out of character; then that is usually an indication that the units only need adjustments to their points cost. Before adjusting the cost, you might try the army of concern against a completely different army, as some match ups are more biased to one side than others.

One danger you need to avoid is in trying to tweak all of the figures level with one another. Heroscape involves a nice mix of high level, mid-range, and low-level figures. There is a strong temptation to try to make everything an A-level figure. The reason you should resist this temptation is that you run a strong risk of creating "power creep."

A fair map will assist in testing. The Battlefields of Valhalla used in Classic Heroscape tournaments, or C3G’s Competitive Maps, are ideal for taking the map out of the equation.

Documenting Your Tweaks
Ok, so you’ve identified a problem area, made changes, and tested them in a game and are happy with the results. How do you record this?

If you’re a pro at Photoshop or Gimp and design your own cards, that part is easy – make your own card. But if you’re like me and don’t have graphics skills or the appropriate software, you would like to have something besides a ragged index card with illegible handwriting on it. Whitestuff has a Gimp Tutorial you might look at if you'd like to try your hand at making cards.

Although I’m not handy with Photoshop or Gimp, I am pretty familiar with page layout programs such as Microsoft Publisher and iWork’s Pages. I also know there are also other drawing programs that allow you to import images, create text boxes, size them, and move them around anywhere on the page.

This is what I do in Pages. If this process is familiar to you with the software you have, then you should be able to follow my instructions:

(1) Import the card image.
(2) Create a text box. If I’m tweaking one of the numbers on the right side, I will shrink it to a small square large enough for a number. Otherwise, I will shrink it to a rectangle for text.
(3) For numbers, I select a Helvetica bold font around size 16. For text in the special abilities, I will use a Helvetica size 6 font. Other areas of the card will be sized as needed.
(4) I type the number or text. If it’s just a number, I will center it in the text box.
(5) I then click outside of the text box to exit edit mode, then click the text box to select it. I will then select a background fill color to match the color where the box will overlay. With numbers, I also select a text color of white.
(6) I then resize the box, move it over the area where it needs to cover, and adjust the size and/or colors to make it fit.
(7) It may be necessary to prepare a text box large enough to cover the entire special abilities area, and type all abilities by hand. This is when I need to re-order the abilities or push anything out of the way.

Is this seemless on the final, printed card? No, but I personally like having my changes be somewhat out of kilter with the rest of the card (in font, size, or color). That way, when I look at the card, I will notice where I’ve tweaked and know that this isn’t an original version. But my method is good enough that it looks good to me. As an example, I recently needed to play Heroes of Star Wars' Luke Skywalker with their updates. So I edited the original cards as follows:

Spoiler Alert!

If you’re not adept at this method, then are you able to type text and fit that text within a particular size? For example, can you type and print text that fits within a specific sized area? If so, then simply create that text box, type your text, and print just the text. Then cut out that text and attach it to the card (printed separately) with glue, paste, or tape. This will stand out more than my method, but it’s still serviceable.

If you’re still shaking your head, what about this? Purchase clear plastic or vinyl CD sleeves. Amazon.com and Office Depot sells Memorex’ Keepers. HouseMouseGames.com sells a different brand as well. Print the card, and slip it in the sleeve. Then write or type your tweaks onto index cards, and place the index cards into the sleeves. During game play, you will remove the card and the index cards, and keep them together on the table for reference. Yes, these are those "ragged index cards with illegible handwriting" we're trying to avoid. But if it's the only method you can make work, then go for it!

If you want to jot down mental notes about a card, but those notes don’t need to appear on the front, the back of the card is a great place to put them. For example, if you want to track a figure’s win/loss record, you might slap a Post-It note on the back of the card and use that. The back of the card is also a great area to place strategy notes, clarifications, or tips on play.

Finally, I recommend having some place where you can store all of the tweaks you make. With what I do in Pages, I simply save the file with the images and tweaks. If you have to write on index cards or type the text in a box, you might type your tweaks in a word processor. If you don't want to use a computer, you might even just use a regular notebook.

Last edited by davidlhsl; April 3rd, 2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added image of tweaked card
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Chapter 3.5: Maps, Special Rules, and Final Comments

Marvel Maps & Scenarios
Regular Maps & Scenarios
C3G Books of Index
C3G Battle Reports
My Battle Stories

In addition to figures, people have created other elements which enhance Superhero Scape.

Maps and Scenarios
If I could pin down one thing that absolutely put me off on Marvel Heroscape, it was the pathetic amount of terrain that came in the box. If you examine the five maps that are included in the first Heroscape Master Set; you will find five very different, creative, and unique designs. Marvel Heroscape only had two maps, and they were so bland as to be almost laughable.

Well, I’m not laughing now. The real fish hook that reeled me in was the Wayne Manor Map in C3G’s World’s Finest Master Set. C3G has also produced a ton of other maps, and the ones I’ve been able to set up are stunning, as well as fun to play. You can find C3G’s maps (as well as scenarios) in their Books of Index, linked above. The first link, however, will take you to the Superhero maps produced by the community outside C3G. There are some great finds in here, so feel free to browse around. You might also find a scenario or two to try. One really nice thing about Superhero Scape is that the figures play far better on maps with the castle sets than Classic Heroscape.

Superhero Scape also plays well on Classic Maps as well, which is my second link. When testing and/or tweaking, the Battlefields of Valhalla (BoV for short) are a must (C3G's competitive maps are also great for testing). These maps go through a thorough examination period, and the ones that pass muster are used in actual tournaments. Having played on a few of these, these maps have opened my eyes to how much strategy a well-designed map can introduce to the game.

A sample of some of my favorites:

>>> X Marks the Spot:
This is a recently released C3G Map. Quozl was the lead designer on this, and he has a real talent for producing maps with clean designs, quick setup, and minimal terrain requirements. This and one of his other lead designs, Rocket Launching Platform have stayed on my gaming table longer than other maps I’ve set up. Heck, I even took Rocket Launching Platform to the park one time to play with my nephew. I just removed the middle structure and placed in a box, and took apart the ground level. Once at the park, it only took a short time to rebuild the ground level and put the center structure in place.

>>> Savage Land:
Another C3G map, with Taeblewalker as lead designer. This is purely a fantasy map. Is it balanced? Who cares? Just look at it!!! It takes a lot of terrain and a lot of time to set up, but you will grab your camera after you build it. You can set up start zones anywhere, and this map will inspire scenario ideas that you’ll try.

>>> Crime Alley:
C3G Map with A3n as lead designer. A3n is one of two people I would rep every single day if the system allowed it. The figure cards he does for C3G and Matt Helm completely surpass the cards in the official game (go to C3G’s Book of Index and check out Spidergirl). This map, and one which might appear in a future C3G release, are nothing less than masterpieces.

This Map is strictly for the Superheroes, and figures with Swing Line and Grapple abilities will shine on this map. I’ll mention C3G’s optional knockback rules later, but those Knockback rules really make this map scary.

>>> Flash Fire:
This is one of the Battlefields of Valhalla designed by Dignan, and I’ve selected this to represent the BoV maps. This map has a lot of approach routes and blind spots, and is a lot of fun to play.

Other goodies
If you look through C3G’s Book of Index, you will find a ton of great additions to your Superhero Scape fun. Their optional Knockback Rules really add a lot of fun to the battles, and actually provide more maneuvering and important positioning decisions during battle than you’ll find in Classic. These rules also make lava and height deadly. Sherman Davies also has his own set of Knockback Rules.

Glyphs are a popular feature of Heroscape, and C3G has a solid collection.

And if you're a fan of C3G, you'll find a handy Excel spreadsheet (C3G Sortable Index) created by Sir Galahad that is a great resource for drafting.

One area that has long been desired for superhero battles is a set of rules to handle objects such as cars, barrels, crates, light poles, and boulders. Several people have made attempts at creating rules for destructible objects in the past, but nothing has ever solidified. I once created a set of rules for cars, and I found designing that rules set a challenge. I didn't want the objects to take over the game. The rules I created turned out to be fun, but were really too complicated to recommend. The rules set I created also didn't factor anything else except cars, so any additional objects I would add would only complicate matters further.

C3G has recently published their own ruleset for destructible objects, and this rules set really looks like a lot of fun. You can find their rules set, along with their own collection of objects, in their Books of Index. Though their collection of objects is modest as of this writing, I'm sure they will expand this. Based on my reading of the rules and taking a brief look at their current collection, I think it would be pretty easy to create one's own stats on-the-fly for any objects you might want to add.

Final thoughts
I know this has been a lot to read, but I hope I’ve provided you with the information you need to locate and play these customs. I’m not certain what it is about Superhero Scape that has excited me the way it has, as I haven’t really read that many comic books. I guess it’s the combination of the maps, the way knockback rules impact play, and the emphasis on the heroes instead of the squads.

And I think it has to do with the great community that is here. Most people wait for things to come to them and feel hopeless when they don’t. This community made the decision that they weren’t going to let Superhero Scape die with the Marvel Master Set, and they took charge. They have dedicated their time and their talents towards keeping Superheroes alive, and they have generously shared their efforts with everyone. Their example is the inspiration for the C3V project, which I believe will keep Classic Heroscape alive for years – and possibly even generations – to come.

The last two links will take you to battle reports, where you can see these customs put into actual game play.

Last edited by davidlhsl; March 7th, 2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Expanded mention of glyphs/C3G Sortable Index
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Kudos to TinkleTot for breaking the ice and commenting on this amazing thread. I was lurking on my ipod for a few days and was afraid to spoil the creator's flow. Thanks for taking the bold step and letting us fan-boys jump in here.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tcglkn again."

I second B-buddy's statement and would love to hear about suggested tweaks. I may be a stubborn old codger (well, probably just a grey hair younger than David... but definitely older than sock puppet), but I can definitely at least listen to criticism. And I'm sure all of the creators would be thankful to hear about tweak opinions.

Now on to the praise. David is simply "The Man". The gift of gab... the pen... the keyboard... thumbs for all of you texting generation freaks... whatever, is just oozing out of this man. Everything he writes has me glued to the screen.

This is a great resource my friend and let's hope it brings some joy to those who try to step into the pool of fun that you are leading them into.

Last edited by Matt Helm; January 7th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Can we get this stickied? This was one of the best reads I've had on this site in a while.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion