Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Kurrok the Elementalist

I think Kurrock is a well balanced fig. The only issue I can see with him sending the water elementals up the river to attack the range is that he has a limited control range for the elementals. What was it 6 maybe 8 hexes?

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:05 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

8 Hexes. That could be a problem, but I think if you manage everything properly everything should work out.

The biggest problems I see against a Kurrok army are the Protectors of Ullar. The air elementals won't be able to kill them before they put quite a few wounds on Kurrok with Combined Arbalest.
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Acinonyx has disabled reputation

Three attacks with elementals per order marker would be good, but that isn't going to be what you get. If you use one per round on Kurrok, you then have two sets of three attacks, for an average of two per order marker. Heaven help you if Kurrok is able to attack as that probably means he is about to take a dirt nap. If your opponent has a decent chance of killing one or two elementals with an order marker, you are losing ground every time you use Kurrok since that summon chance is the only thing he contributes.
I hope there is something I'm missing about this guy, because I really want him to be competitive.
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post
Three attacks with elementals per order marker would be good, but that isn't going to be what you get. If you use one per round on Kurrok, you then have two sets of three attacks, for an average of two per order marker. Heaven help you if Kurrok is able to attack as that probably means he is about to take a dirt nap. If your opponent has a decent chance of killing one or two elementals with an order marker, you are losing ground every time you use Kurrok since that summon chance is the only thing he contributes.
I hope there is something I'm missing about this guy, because I really want him to be competitive.
This assumes Kurrok is constantly moving forward, which he won't be once your armies clash. Also, his movement is not a wasted opportunity since you can possibly summon another elemental.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Acinonyx has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
This assumes Kurrok is constantly moving forward, which he won't be once your armies clash. Also, his movement is not a wasted opportunity since you can possibly summon another elemental.
Moving him hurts your damage output quite a bit, since Kurrok isn't going to be attacking unless things are going very poorly. In terms of his summoning, it is essentially wasted if your opponent will likely kill >=1 elemental on their corresponding order marker. To really get good value from moving and summoning, it seems like Kurrok needs a lull in the action.
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Moving him hurts your damage output quite a bit, since Kurrok isn't going to be attacking unless things are going very poorly. In terms of his summoning, it is essentially wasted if your opponent will likely kill >=1 elemental on their corresponding order marker. To really get good value from moving and summoning, it seems like Kurrok needs a lull in the action.
I wasn't denying that. I was just stating that yhou might limit your losses when you do move him and once your armies clash, he essentially no longer needs to be moved.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post

The biggest problems I see against a Kurrok army are the Protectors of Ullar. The air elementals won't be able to kill them before they put quite a few wounds on Kurrok with Combined Arbalest.
Airborne Elite - assassinating figures like this since 2005.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:

I can't believe I forgot about them.

If Raelin is nearby, he might have a chance. But Kurrok seems to fragile to manage an entire army. I'm going to do a few playtests with him(Proxied) and only one of each elemental as part of a larger army and post some of the results.
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't believe I forgot about them.

If Raelin is nearby, he might have a chance. But Kurrok seems to fragile to manage an entire army. I'm going to do a few playtests with him(Proxied) and only one of each elemental as part of a larger army and post some of the results.
It may be that Kurrok's band can be the larger part of the army. They may simply need a scary linebacker to be the bigger threat. I don't know if I would keep going after Kurrok while Nilfheim is flying around hocking frozen stalactites at everyone.

But, that's mostly speculation, so I'll go quietly now.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:

Tul-Bak-Ra is an effective assassin too.

Just saying.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:07 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

And the other thing is that I wouldn't bring him against just any army. If the other guy is bringing powerful range I'd leave him out of it or as spite suggested have a powerful nasty like nilfheim or Braxis soaking up most of the ranged attacks.

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Alright, I just did a playtest.

Kurrok (Proxied by Emirroon, 120)
1X each elemental (130)
Jotun (225)
Dumutef Guard (25)
Tagawa Samurai (120)
Thorgrim (80)
700 points.

vs.

DW9K (140)
DW8K (130)
Zettian Guards (70)
2X Deathstalkers (200)
2X Deathreavers (80)
Finn (80)
700 points.

Battlefield - Trinity Keep. I won't go into much detail, but it centers around a V-shaped bridge. The actual castle was not very useful as the only flyer used was the Air Elemental.

First, the two viking brothers fought each other on the bridge. Thorgrim won, taking the initiative glyph on the bridge, and Finn's spirit went to DW9K.

On the left side, Jotun, the Tagawa Samurai, and the Dumutef Guard were advancing. On the right, the Deathreavers and Deathstalkers were advancing, with the Zettians and DW9K close behind.

The Tagawa took advantage of Thorgim's defensive aura and positioned themselves around him. The wolves showed up, and over a few rounds rolled 3 skulls sucessfuly, taking down 2 samurai without even letting them show off counterstrike. Other Deathstalkers were focusing on Jotun, who was going for DW9K. He took 6 wounds, but eventually destroyed the big machine and several deathstalkers. Then he was killed by Zettians. Kurrok and the elementals were also moving up at this time.

Wolves now attacked Thorgrim, though his defense held up. After several attacks from the Dumutef Guard at 6 dice (On a road space and the Earth Elemental had tunneled to the attack Glyph behind some trees) the wolves were no more. They did take Thorgrim with them, though, who's spirit went to Kurrok.

DW8K moved up, killing elementals with Rapid fire. He defeated all of them, but Kurrok summoned a fire elemental next to him on height, and it destroyed the Deathwalker.

In the meantime, a rat screen had formed between Kurrok, Dumutef, and the last Tagawa. Rats had also found their way to the attack and defense Glyphs. The zettians blasted away, destroying the dumutef and putting 4 wounds on Kurrok. He summoned a water elemental to clear away their bonuses by destroying the rats on the glyphs, and a fire elemental which finished up the zettians. Then the Tagawa cleaned up the rats. Kurrok's team wins with a one-life Kurrok, one Tagawa, a Fire Elemental, and a Water Elemental.

Granted, I didn't choose an overcompetetive army for them to fight against, but working with a big hero a smaller elemental unit can do quite well. Also, the fact that several figures were near a glyph also distracted the enemies from him. I think if it had been an all-elemental army, Kurrok would have quickly been defeated by Rapid Fire or the range-boosted Zettians.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units