Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old September 15th, 2022, 07:00 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The minis will not be a sea of unpainted gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak88 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
It's quite easy to me. If the minis are going to come unpainted, you don't want to do it, you don't want to have someone else do it for cash, then simply don't buy it. It's a free market. Do what you want, buy it or don't. I personally think the models look OK and it's all good what they are doing. I love painting, and do it quite often. Bottom line for me is, there aren't any mechanics to the game added, that I'm aware of, that make me want to buy the game. As it stands, I'm not hooked whatsoever on the stuff revealed. It's all pretty enough, but it doesn't stand above dozens of other model lines or 3d printed files sets I have access to. Since the game has came out, there have been many games out that they could borrow updated rules or systems to make the game even more interesting. But it doesn't appear that way. I'm still keeping an eye out to see if I can find something that appeals to me but so far it's no dice. To those of you that don't paint and don't want to, know that the majority of games out aren't painted. If they don't mind that you want them painted, and you're not happy with it, simply don't buy it. My point is, I love to paint, I don't mind them unpainted, but it isn't appealing to me, so I'll simply not buy it. If they change my mind, cool, if not, cool. Lots of fun toys out there. It's It's good time to be a gamer.
What type of rule update do you think Heroscape could benefit from? I believe Heroscape could use a formal classification of turn phases to make the wording in special abilities easier, similar to the turn phases in Yugioh, like draw phase, main phase, battle phase etc.
There's been discussion on the 2.0 thread with many people having used their house rule partial cover rules for LOS and wanting official rules for it.

Perhaps a distinction could be made on the hitzone portion of the figures army card. If a ranged unit can only see a yellow portion of the defending figure, then the attacker rolls 1 fewer attack dice

I really like this. I just don't know if AH would go through the effort of recreating cards for all the OG characters to make them compatible with the new stuff if the OG figures are not readily available for a new wave of players. Old figures wouldn't be backwards compatible if they don't have the same hit rules as new figures.

Upset City Baby.
Old September 15th, 2022, 07:24 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Master Roshi , I don't think the hitzones need to be more complex. It would simply be a matter of how much they could see. In quite a few wargames, if you can see most of a model, but some parts are obstructed, they get light cover, and if more than half the model is obstructed from LOS then they would have heavy cover. The one thing about Los that I think is funny about heroscape is that there are no cover rules even when all that can be seen is something as small as a hand or tail or something tiny. In a whole, all I'm saying, is that the same game with no new real mechanics is kind of a yawn for me. You could keep this games base mechanics and do some fun and new interesting things. If they relaunch with the same exact ruleset, I'll most likely pass on it. Not because I hate heroscape, but because the same ol same ol doesn't excite me. Anyway, I won't clog this up anymore with my banter, I can let it get back to people being angry that the figures aren't painted.
Old September 15th, 2022, 09:14 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@Master Roshi , I don't think the hitzones need to be more complex. It would simply be a matter of how much they could see. In quite a few wargames, if you can see most of a model, but some parts are obstructed, they get light cover, and if more than half the model is obstructed from LOS then they would have heavy cover. The one thing about Los that I think is funny about heroscape is that there are no cover rules even when all that can be seen is something as small as a hand or tail or something tiny. In a whole, all I'm saying, is that the same game with no new real mechanics is kind of a yawn for me. You could keep this games base mechanics and do some fun and new interesting things. If they relaunch with the same exact ruleset, I'll most likely pass on it. Not because I hate heroscape, but because the same ol same ol doesn't excite me. Anyway, I won't clog this up anymore with my banter, I can let it get back to people being angry that the figures aren't painted.
I think by formally designating different parts of the body it would make it simpler instead because then there aren't arguments between the players over how much of the body must be covered to get a partial cover bonus. This way, if you only see a yellow part, you get the bonus no argument
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:21 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

They could have picked more attractive colors. The day-glo colors are off-putting and make the figures look like cheap toys, especially the colors for the two new generals, which make up the majority of the release. A little subtlety would have gone a long way with these.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:40 PM

EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
They could have picked more attractive colors. The day-glo colors are off-putting and make the figures look like cheap toys, especially the colors for the two new generals, which make up the majority of the release. A little subtlety would have gone a long way with these.
agreed, and it's one of the primary reasons as to why I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should back this project.

To clarify, I understand why these figures weren't sold as being painted (cost-wise), and it's more helpful to have the figures coloured based on faction/general affiliation instead of being just grey, but I don't think that I would have the time nor the willingness to paint each of these miniatures in 4/5 different special coatings of paint.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 01:25 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I would have gone with more toned down basic colors of plastic myself. The bright neon green/yellow is the biggest offender to the eyes. I'm still not quite understanding the need for the new general anyways. Could have just made all those units Ullar troops with a forest green plastic.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 01:36 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Yes, for those of us that like to do limited "trim" paint jobs, we always want the base color to be close to the actual finished product. So brown would be perfect for the Clockworks, as they are forest mammals (you could use a different shade for Valkrill if you need to introduce him later). A less "glowing" light green could be used instead also. Hasbro is too used to making kiddie toys.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 04:24 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If someone doesn't want to fully paint the minis, but also doesn't like the plastic color for a specific general, then they could buy a can of spray paint and change it fairly quickly and cheaply
Old October 2nd, 2022, 04:58 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
If someone doesn't want to fully paint the minis, but also doesn't like the plastic color for a specific general, then they could buy a can of spray paint and change it fairly quickly and cheaply
That does sound pretty simple, doesn't it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 2nd, 2022, 06:03 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I think the color coding of miniatures must be confusing for new players. The five thematic factions are strongly advertised, but then the figures are sorted by general, dividing the factions. If you play according to factions, you have a mess of multicolored things in your army. If you play according to color, your army doesn't fit thematically.

It's something that makes sense and you understand how it happened if you are a Scape veteran, but it seems very counter-intuitive for newcomers.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old October 2nd, 2022, 10:39 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Once they see why the cards are color-coded, they'll figure it out pretty quickly.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 3rd, 2022, 12:43 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I don't mean to be negative as such, but let me be clear. If people are telling you they hate the more garish color tones--the orange and light green, the other colors are fine--you should tell Avalon Hill while they can still change them. You could still use orange and light green if the tones were more subdued. Spray painting dozens of figures after paying a lot of money for them is not a viable solution for some of us. And we'd have to continue doing so for the life of the game!

That wonderful blimp mini, for example, is totally ruined by the awful color, as are some others. The childish hues give the wrong feel to the game, make it look silly, and take you right out the "alternate reality" feeling you want to have when you play! Frankly, its an insult to the spirit of the game, especially since you're giving such well sculpted unpainted figures in the first place. Sure, its a goofy fantasy game, but you want the figures to pull you into the imagined world, rather than out of it.

You need to understand that this is a serious issue; even a deal breaker for some of us. Please give them this feedback, since I'm clearly not the only one who feels this way. I'm a reasonably crafty person who has painted over 30,000 toy soldier miniatures in my hobby career, but I don't also do large numbers of game pieces. Its not my thing; I own too many mini heavy games to catch up. Nor do I own any other games with hideous day glo minis. Ugh! Most minis are molded in reasonable colors, whether toy soldiers or game pieces. In fact, having to change the base color is the thing I hate the most of all painting operations.

I've seen these types of arguments rage all over BGG for years. Some people paint; some people don't. Those of us who don't shouldn't feel forced to do it by a substandard color quality. Save those hues for beach toys which need to be blinding so they don't get lost in the sand.

Note: This is the closest thing to a rant I've ever posted here in all these years. But I immediately received reputation for it. (I mention this only to note again that I am not alone here).

Last edited by chas; October 3rd, 2022 at 09:36 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion