Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old October 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness
My Mowing Business

OK, I'm getting readt to start a mowing buisness next summer. I've been working this summer, and have saved up enough to get my own mower. Now, I need some advice on a little idea I'm thinking about.

I'm thinking that I will advertise my buisness as "You pay depending on how good the job's done". I'm thinking that this will cause people to pay me more than they would if I just told them what I expexted to be payed. If anyone has any experience doing something like this, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...

Last edited by Swamper; October 5th, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: My Buisness

I just mow the our lawn for no pay. Not great, but it's kinda relaxing. Oh, and you need to edit the thread title...
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

I think that the "pay depending on how well the job is done" is going to lose you money, I think it's a great idea, however, when you don't charge enough, nobody will take you seriously. That's the way it is these days. If you do charge to much, they will do it themselves. I say you set a base price for the lawn, and if they want you can pull weeds for an added on 5 bucks or so.

I don't know much about the lawn business, but, I think you should make a flyer target marketing towards single, 47-55 year old home owners. By the way the Psychographics of the people I know go, I believe they would love to talk to a minor and have their lawn mowed in the process. With that said, I am thinking that a sit down, or email conversation with the consumer talking about a flexible lawn plan that works the best for them.

That's my opinion. Good luck

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

Send a flyer to banks, to do forclosed homes... lots of neighbors crying about tall weeds next door these days, and there will be even more next year.
You can give them a bulk deal...
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM

ryantheappleguy Woo who?

I don't like that idea. As a customer I like to have the service and payments made up for me. I don't want to have to make a decision for you.
Look at it this way.. When the Dominoes guy comes to the door, you have to decide how much you will tip him, You dont want to look like a cheap-ass do you?
If I had to pay by the way the pizza tasted and how long it took, I would feel way to pressured.

Old October 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Don't let them decide what to pay you, you have to be/appear confident enough to set your prices and they (the customer) will take it or leave it.

I had a painting business for a while until I got a better opportunity (believe me, having a legit business is a pain in the rear, especially taxes, employees...etc. )

Anyway, what you have right now that some bigger lawn mowing businesses probably don't have is low overhead. Meaning, you're not at the point where you are paying for a ton of equipment, accountant, employees (and extra expense that goes with them if you're doing it on the up and up and not under the table cash). So what you need to do somehow is find out what the average cost is for someone to get their lawn mowed by another company, then you can charge a little less. If you do a good enough job and impress customers with the quality of your service and your professionalism (very important), then they will tell their friends about you. Believe me, word of mouth advertising is the best there is and it's free.

Eventually you may get an opportunity to do some comercial work and get some good accounts and can expand your buisness. But I'd advise waiting awhile before you go too big too fast as you can really have problems covering the expenses. Build up clientel and save your money and learn the business and then up your rates to be comparable to others, you'll need to do this to get yourself prepared to make more money that you'll need when you expand.

Anyway, that's all I got. Good luck.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:41 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I think you'll be surprised at how much people will low-ball you if you allow them to decide.

-insert signature here-
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

Just a thought... If you're looking to start a business, and have some money to invest, you might think about looking into ebay. Great place to make some money!
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen. View Post
Just a thought... If you're looking to start a business, and have some money to invest, you might think about looking into ebay. Great place to make some money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper
Buy these pre mowed blades of grass and place them on your lawn, presto! Your lawn has been mowed!

Go ebay mower service.
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

It's lunacy. You need to decide how you want to bid a job, and if the customer complains that you did a bad job, apologize and either discount or comp them.

There's no way I'd pay you more because you did a great job, except if maybe "tips appreciated" was on the invoice. I certainly would raise hell and expect a discount if you did a poor job. Then I'd change gardeners.

It's a nice thought on paper, but as soon as you advertise "Pay what you think the job is worth" the people will say, "That job is as good as my son does, and I pay him 10$, so 10$ is what I'll pay you".

Lunacy.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
It's a nice thought on paper, but as soon as you advertise "Pay what you think the job is worth" the people will say, "That job is as good as my son does, and I pay him 10$, so 10$ is what I'll pay you".

Lunacy.

Don't let "my" son hear you say that, he does my 5 acres for free!

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Can you loan him to me on Sundays?

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General