Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

I was wondering about that myself. Also, do you have a limited "deck" of units that you play? How many are in a deck, generally? HS card numbers, or MTG card numbers?
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Thanks for the comment!

I have one question I've been wondering about though.

For the playing mat, you said the squares would be playing card sized. But since the cards aren't square, the mat will be kinda off-kilter. I'm used to mats like in HeroClix, where it's perfectly square.

Will the rectangular squares act like square-squares, or are the squares actually square, and the cards fit into those squares even though they're a little small?

....I hope you know what I mean. That sounded really funny when I said it out loud to myself...
The spaces on the battlefield are rectangular. Notice in the picture above that the cards are viewed landscape style rather than portrait style.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is what I was thinking about. It also has room for new maps that have terrain blockage. It is almost MtG with battles that are now strategially fought out.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

They are card shaped squares, so they are rectangular. This may seem odd since most games have standard symmetrical spaces. But trust me it doesn't create any awkwardness at all.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I knew it really wouldn't affect gameplay at all, but I didn't know how it'd look, or if it would be harder to see line of sight or whatever.

But it still sounds great! Thanks for the answer!
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
This is what I was thinking about. It also has room for new maps that have terrain blockage. It is almost MtG with battles that are now strategially fought out.
This game does not play like MTG. It plays much more tactical. It really feels like a miniature game, but with cards.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
I was wondering about that myself. Also, do you have a limited "deck" of units that you play? How many are in a deck, generally? HS card numbers, or MTG card numbers?

I'm not sure what you mean by HS card numbers or MtG card numbers, but there are 35 cards in a deck. 1 Summoner, 3 champions, 18 common units, 9 Event Cards, and 3 wall cards.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I can see its relations to Heroscape, such as wound markers. I know it is not like MtG in that it is turned based, but more like instead of a war, it is one attack phase of MtG. You are the general in the fight of the cards.

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
This game does not play like MTG. It plays much more tactical. It really feels like a miniature game, but with cards.

This part is probably what excites me the most. I TRIED to get into the Pokemon card game, which I assume plays like quite a few card games out there. I truthfully(No pun intended) could not STAND the blind purchase model! I guess that I will just have to wait and see if I will have enough extra funds to get into this game!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Sounds like we'll have something else to do at TempleCon next year.

-insert signature here-
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Creamed by Corn

Is this going to premiere at Gencon?

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Beautiful Colby

It plays with elements of a miniature game like Heroscape where you've got special abilities and are rolling dice to attack and are moving around a board, but its got a lot of card game things going on too, like deck building and hand management. Its also got a distinct tactical element to it that holds a vague similarity to games like chess where tactical maneuvering is very important.

A good game is really about two very key things. The first is letting the player make fun choices that affect the outcome of the game in their favor. You'll find that Summoner Wars has a lot of very cool game choices that will constantly have you thinking on your toes and trying to outsmart your opponent. The second key, at least for the kinds of games that I like, is creating an immersive theme that sparks players imagination. I think you'll find that Summoner Wars has plenty of that as well (with plenty of help from a very talented artist). Its standard fare, everything we love about the fantasy genre, a world full of history and culture and variety and interesting characters. But its not lacking for originality either, you'll find plenty of interesting twists on old favorites and all kinds of new stories I've been brewing up to tell through this game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games