Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old January 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Rythos has disabled reputation
Castle, Lava, or Tundra?

Looking for suggestions. My son is interested in the Tundra, Lava, or Castle Sets. Assuming I can actually find them locally which get the most use?

Thanks for your thoughts

We already have:
RotV
SotM x2
RttFF
Marvelscape
Glads, Blasts, Heroes of Trollsford, Vipers/Snipers, Orcs, Deathstalkers, Aubrien Archers, and the Zombies.

Generous deed should not be checked by cold counsel
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM

KRUG! knows what's in an order marker KRUG! knows what's in an order marker
Out of those three, I'd grab the Tundra first.

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
The castle is the most versatile and gets the most use. Also, some of your units like he Snipers and the Aubriens really benefit from the castle terrain. The other rwo sets really require that you design an atypical battlefield - something your son may tire of more quickly that the castle set.

Old January 13th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
My vote goes to the Tundra, followed closely by the Castle.

The glaciers look great and provide nice line of sight blockers, and slippery ice rules are a simple and optional way to add to the rules.

The castle gets used less in my games, but even if you don't build a castle, the walls can be used to create high elevations without using as many tiles.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM

cowmaster13 Woo who?
Castle seems to be the pick of the day and I agree. It can be used easily and you figures work well with it.

The lava comes in after castle(in my option)
It is very fun to play on, looks good, and stops figures going a short way due to lava

The tundra is last on my list mostly because I don't have it yet.

Yes I play too many card games!

Heroscape strategy puzzles, play them.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=16494
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Hades has disabled reputation
I would go with castle also, followed by tundra
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
I would say castle with Tundra a close second due to price. Typically the castles are about 50% more then a tundra set and they don't come with any figures.(besides the gate) Still, it is a surprisingly large set. The box is stuffed.

Tundra has some great terrain, but does require a bit of a plan if you want the battlefield to look somewhat believable.

Lava is nice but just doesn't offer enough terrain for the price(IMHO).

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
If you are only buying 1 I say go with the castle because it is the most playable with just 1 set and can be used in more maps an scenarios (even if you just have random single space towers scattered around the board)

Tundra 2nd

Lava 3rd...only because you will not use it as much and you need 2 to 4 to have any sort of decent area on your map.
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
I just received my Castle and Tundra yesterday and they are both great. I'm going to have to go with the castle as first choice if for no other reason then it being really fund building the castles. I felt like a little kid again when I started messing with mine yesterday. So, I'm thinking a young son would really enjoy it.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Harbinger of Aquilla

teekay has disabled reputation
Re: Castle, Lava, or Tundra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythos
Looking for suggestions. My son is interested in the Tundra, Lava, or Castle Sets. Assuming I can actually find them locally which get the most use?
Personally I'd go with another Forest set. You can never have too many.

Second, I'd pick up the Tundra. It's a well constructed set of terrain and obstacles. Looks good on the map and has Yeti's. Cool.

I know a lot of people like the castle set, but the scenarios are usually 1-sided in favor of the castle defenders. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the castle set (even for the simple fun of building), but I usually use the pieces more for support and cliffs than actual castle construction.

Finally, and I think most will agree, that unless you are a completeist, you can put off the Lava set indefinitely. The main reason is that there are very few units that make use of the terrain. Most units will die immediately or take damage while on it--so they will simply try to avoid it all together. (Unlike the snow which only slows units down.) Depending on how you build your maps, you may just find yourself using the magma tiles to build foundations for hills, while the Obsidian Guards gather dust.
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Ted has disabled reputation
I say the castle. you can use it to make watch towers which can be the line of sight blockers that the tundra come with. Every one can benefit from the castle. melee people can hide from ranged while ranged gets high ground. the lava set comes as squad and besides them only brunac is concerned with lava and he is useful and worth his points even if you are not playing on lava. the tundra set also come with a squad and short of the exclusive swog ridre are the only ones to benefit from the set.

So hands down if I had to choose I would take the castle.
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:27 PM

kaemonawa Woo who?
I would get castle then tundra, then, definitely LAVA!!! The lava is really cool on the battle field

Official KaemonAwa Post
My 'scape sets:
2xRotV, 1xSotM, 2 TJ, 2 FotA, 3 RttFF, 1 VW, 1 TT, All of wave 5, 6, 7, 8, and 1 Lawmen and Samurai, 1 AA, 1 Orm's Return, 1xAll Flags, Master Win

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion