Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old January 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
First Tunisia, now Egypt - Amazing stuff happening

Since US coverage of this is basically a joke......

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/?foo=bar

Mubarak is claiming he will now dissolve the entire government (except himself of course) and replace it.

http://twitter.com/AJELive/status/31116573091565568

Syria, terrified of what has happened in Tunisia and Egypt has also shut down the internet in that country....

http://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/sta...02490816167936

Wikileaks is releasing cables about Egypt much as they did Tunisia that helped lead to the toppling of that government...

http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2009/01/09CAIRO79.html

Thousands are protesting in Jordan as well...

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...57509196.html#

Singing and embracing of Police they were fighting earlier in the day even...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...70R7NZ20110128

Not going to pretend everything is going to be hunky dory with all these happenings but it is inspiring to see. Further reinforces in my mind the horrible state of US media however. They are definitely a day late and a dollar short in covering this compared to everyone else.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: First Tunisia, now Egypt - Amazing stuff happening

They don't want to give the US people any ideas, the US Gov has probably told them to not report much on it.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ummm...yeah...sure, that's it.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
the US Gov has probably told them to not report much on it.
Since when did the media listen to the US Government?
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:30 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
They don't want to give the US people any ideas, the US Gov has probably told them to not report much on it.
I don't think that's quite the reason. I don't think images of the protests would incite riots in the U.S. Nor do I believe that there are enough people that angry with the government here for that to be a factor. Maybe it's just difficult to get U.S. reporters in as it's a riot in Egypt?

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Dr Feelgood

Now, the biggest issue is how self absorbed our media is.

Old January 29th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

I thought the reason they are not covering this is a business decision. There are very few people in the US who care about "good news". There are even fewer who care about anything good that happens outside their area of influence. As only a few will care about these events, or have the patience to listen to a rather long explanation as to why they should care, things like this won't get any press. Sadly America wants to be entertained, and not informed, and the "press" knows this.

"If it bleeds, it leads"

The events are pretty amazing though.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old January 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot View Post
I thought the reason they are not covering this is a business decision. There are very few people in the US who care about "good news". There are even fewer who care about anything good that happens outside their area of influence. As only a few will care about these events, or have the patience to listen to a rather long explanation as to why they should care, things like this won't get any press. Sadly America wants to be entertained, and not informed, and the "press" knows this.

"If it bleeds, it leads"

The events are pretty amazing though.
Sadly, bleeding is indeed going on. It doesn't follow our cheap narratives though. See, if this was Iran, it would have been on TV since day one - since they are "bad" guys. However, Egypt is an ally - so it doesn't fit the model they like to use because are we supposed to cheer for people trying to overthrow one of our allies in the Middle East.

Also, I think this situation has clearly shown why any Internet "Kill-Switch" is a total BS idea.

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This is very scary stuff.

Why am I skeptical that any change that comes from this will be in the best interests of the Egyptian people or the US?
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

I came within a click of the button on posting about this last night...

This is really interesting, but I have no idea what it really means for the future. JS, a couple weeks ago you posed the question as to whether governments falling because wikileaks was good or bad, well, is it good or bad? Stability is shot in the mid-east right now and stability is "good". That said, when stability is sustained through corruption, the country pays.

If these are truly grass-roots uprisings made by the lower class, then things will be ok. Unfortunately, the void at the top will not necessarily be filled by those representing the lower classes, but instead will be filled by those most organized when the spots open up. That means there will be an opportunity for "non-favorable" entities to take control (read Iran or AL Qaida).

Also, if I was Saudi Arabia, i'd be s#!tting a brick about now...

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
This is very scary stuff.

Why am I skeptical that any change that comes from this will be in the best interests of the Egyptian people or the US?
Well, honestly to me, the only thing that matters is what this means for the Egyptian people. Screw what it means for the US - we aren't the ones living there.

Quote:
I came within a click of the button on posting about this last night...

This is really interesting, but I have no idea what it really means for the future. JS, a couple weeks ago you posed the question as to whether governments falling because wikileaks was good or bad, well, is it good or bad? Stability is shot in the mid-east right now and stability is "good". That said, when stability is sustained through corruption, the country pays.

If these are truly grass-roots uprisings made by the lower class, then things will be ok. Unfortunately, the void at the top will not necessarily be filled by those representing the lower classes, but instead will be filled by those most organized when the spots open up. That means there will be an opportunity for "non-favorable" entities to take control (read Iran or AL Qaida).

Also, if I was Saudi Arabia, i'd be s#!tting a brick about now...
Fully agree about Saudi Arabia. As for the rest - this is being driven right now by the people, although long term, who knows. I ultimately do not think anything too dramatic will happen because Mubarak is very, very smart and realizes that by tossing his government and implementing a few changes will probably keep him in power. Who knows though. Regardless, this is an attempt by the people to change their country in pretty much the only way they have - Again, it might not end up the best thing for the US (though it might be bad for Israel since Egypt has steadily supported their existence for quite a while). Regardless, this is something that is up to the Egyptian people to deal with - it's not our place to interfere (unless Mubarak decides to wholesale slaughter the opposition, then we should cut all money to his regime) but I'm for supporting people when they push for more freedoms.

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Well, honestly to me, the only thing that matters is what this means for the Egyptian people. Screw what it means for the US - we aren't the ones living there.
"Screw what it means for the US?" What kind of BS is that? I guess you don't really care about your own country? Is that what I just read? Wow...you just dropped about 50 points in my mind.

I'll tell you what it means...

If an Ismalic state comes to power, we've got problems. If another dictator who decides to name America as the "problems for our recession, unemployment, et cetera" then we have a problem.

If it becomes a "Shah-era" western-style democracy...we may still have a problem, but not a big one.

Israel is crapping bricks right now.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General