Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music
Music Not Heroscape-related.

Old October 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: What's your favorite music?

I try to maintain a varied musical diet, but I find that I gravitate towards New Wave and Post-Punk.
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:45 AM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Linklin Park and their type of music +rap/pop
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:05 AM

Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby!

METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metal.

THE METAL!

"YOU CANNOT KILL THE METAL"

My favorite genre of music is indeed metal.

Strong arms and sharp steel rule this world.
Never believe any different.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yes! There are people out there that care about classical!
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:16 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'll probably get a reply to this one. Exactly what is metal?
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Hmm. Apparently not. Oh well. Any more answers?
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Personally, my favorite is a toss up between classical and New Age. And I don't mean the weird sounding plucking of violin strings and banging of metal pots and pans.
It's weird. I haven't (so far) seen anyone say a thing about Classical music. C'mon people! Where's your sense of... uh... classicalism?
Which New Age artists are you interested in? My main love is electronic music, which had been filed under the New Age moniker for a long time. My favorite electronic artists are Klaus Schulze, Steve Roach, Tangerine Dream, Robert Scott Thompson, and many others. I used to be very active in the old rec.music.newage newsgroup, and even submitted reviews for the short-lived Wind and Wire magazine.

I also like some techno, though I've had a hit-and-miss affair with it. Some albums I enjoy and others I don't care for.

I have a really weird relationship with classical. I fell in love with it first through John Williams' score to Star Wars, then bought a 10 LP (giving away my age here... before CDs) collection of Beethoven published by Readers Digest. I'll listen to classical, then stop and not listen for several years. Then I will pick it up for a while, then drop it. Early this year, I had a HUGE craving for it, so I checked into the Nashville Symphony. I have not attended many live concerts in any genre, so this was a treat. I was blown away (it was a performance of Mahler's 5th), attended their summer concerts, and have season's tickets for 2010-2011.

I enjoy the various periods of classical, and even enjoy the more experimental composers such as Penderecki, Glass (most, not all), Steve Reich, etc. So I don't mind the weird sounding plucking of violins or banging of pots and pans.

I bought and watched a great lecture series published by The Teaching Company called "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music" by Robert Greenberg, along with Greenberg's other lectures. He's a very entertaining and informative lecturer, and it was interesting to learn the history surrounding the composers and their works. However, I consider myself to have a beginner's level background, as I don't always identify various themes or have a critical listening skills that musicians have.

I also enjoy 70s and 80s pop/rock.

Last edited by davidlhsl; October 18th, 2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

Quote:
It's just really intense rock music. Usually it involves screaming at some point in the song, then a short guitar solo is played. This is considered "shredding," though I haven't listened to metal in a while. Unless Metallica or Iron Maiden is considered metal (which I don't think they are), then the last metal song I listened to was 10,000 by Disturbed.
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
Quote:
It's just really intense rock music. Usually it involves screaming at some point in the song, then a short guitar solo is played. This is considered "shredding," though I haven't listened to metal in a while. Unless Metallica or Iron Maiden is considered metal (which I don't think they are), then the last metal song I listened to was 10,000 by Disturbed.
Some metal bands:
Metallica
Slipknot
Chimaira
Five Finger Death Punch
Shinedown
Sevendust
Rob Zombie
Hatebreed
Pantera
Mudvayne (SP?)
Disturbed
Slayer
Iron Maiden
(Kind of):
Judas Priest

There are many more. For examples of them (sound-wise), you could do something like go on amazon.com and go under MP3 downloads, and play 30-second clips of the songs.

Metal generally has low-notes, or bass, guitars, drums, and a singer. I'm not quite sure on how to describe the rhythm.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Yeah, sorry metal-fans, but this does not sound like my kind of music.
To answer davidlhsl's question, I like such New Age artists as David Arkenstone, Andreas Vollenwieder, and Yanni to name a few. If you're interested, some of my favorite albums are Dancing with the Lion, On the Wings of the Butterfly, and White Winds. When I mentuined wierd string plucking, I was referring to some music I heard somewhere which was categorized as 'New Age'.

Last edited by TGRF; October 18th, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM

Oh, and thanks for that reply, DrAwsm.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Yeah, sorry metal-fans, but this does not sound like my kind of music.
To answer davidlhsl's question, I like such New Age artists as David Arkenstone, Andreas Vollenwieder, and Yanni to name a few. If you're interested, some of my favorite albums are Dancing with the Lion, On the Wings of the Butterfly, and White Winds. When I mentuined wierd string plucking, I was referring to some music I heard somewhere which was categorized as 'New Age'.
Andreas Vollenweider's "Down to the Moon" was the first CD I ever purchased after I bought my first CD player! Yes, I like his music, though haven't heard it for a while. I'm familiar with the others and have some of their CDs. Others you might like (you may already know these): Kitaro, Enya, Constance Demby, Raphael.

I have a sense of humor about the more experimental music I listen to. If you really want to see something wild, check out this piece by Ligeti on YouTube.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music