Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
quality>quantity

NamibianScaper has disabled reputation
Re: Matthias' Gen Con 2009 report

Thanks MM

Exodus 15:3 "The LORD is a Man of War; The LORD is His name."

LF: 1x Skahen Sents reavers MacDirk, 2xMonks RttFF Snipers Tundra Hounds 3xArmoc Venoc MDrones Aubriens Gruts Romans MacDirks
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

Now that I'm done with Knights and Orcs, I'm on to my next project...
... GLADIATRONS, with no Blastatrons!! Just to show Spider what's up.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You are a very solid player, no doubt there, and with no range is very impressive, but I still love my stingers, and they did get 2nd, so I am happy with that. Yep I only got 2 sets of steam roller dice, but I was playing through a lot of pain which is always a tougher battle all said and done. I am hoping to get in a game against you next year, since I am sure you will be coming back after your great 1st year showing.

Great reporting, a very fun read indeed!

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Good report I enjoyed reading it.

Nice use of the orcs, makes me want some heavies.

Nice prize haul also.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker

Congrats and my group and I are working hard at bringing Vydar back to their glory days. Hope to get a chance to play you next year.
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM

KevinWC Woo who?

Matthias, I have one question. Did you ever get in that Knights versus Gladiators game that you were challenged to? I have been wondering that ever since I left.

A KC Heroscaper who is Not in Kansas Anymore...
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWC View Post
Matthias, I have one question. Did you ever get in that Knights versus Gladiators game that you were challenged to? I have been wondering that ever since I left.
You know, I met Erikir and he was a real cool guy. We talked about it a few times, but our schedules never matched up.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWC View Post
You know, I met Eirikir and he was a real cool Viking. We talked about it a few times, but our schedules never matched up.
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Well another year of Gen Con under the belt and another great time was had. A huge thanks to R˙chean who is awesome at running / organizing events. A big thanks to everybody who donated time and prizes to the events as well. Other than heroScape the thing I like best about Gen Con is getting to meet and hang out with scapers from all over the place. We got in Wed night and met up with the Arizona crew (Lonewolf, Cav, Scaper Dude and LW’s bro), Jexik, and Clarissimus. We played some LNoE and RftG before we headed to the hotel to get ready for Thur morning.

This year at Gen Con I wasn’t really “concerned” about playing “competitive” armies as I was about playing fun armies and trying to make them competitive except for the Main Event. But I’ll get to that more later. The first event was General Wars. Of course my first three ideas were Aquilla (dwarves) since I won it last year, Jandar (knights), and Utgar (orcs). I liked the point total for each one, but was actually a little bored with each army. I knew they were good and I knew how to play them so I wanted something different. We had 6 people in our room (Stubobj, Tiny Timmy, fomox, Clarrisimus, Me, and Chris M who I think is going to finally create an account on scapers). So we decided that we would each take a different general. Fomox wanted Aquilla (Dwarves x 5 / Mo (who is freakin’ awesome!) / Brave Arrow. Tiny Timmy likes the SB so he wanted Einar (Zelrig / SB x 4 / Marcus). Stubobj is a girly range lover so he liked Vydar (Q10 / Glads x 3 / Blasts x 2 / Oto). Clarissimus of course wanted to use Ullar because he likes to play with crap and make it look good (AA x 5 / Theracus / Acolarh / KG). Chris M decided on Jandar because of the easiness of the army (4th x 5 / Drake 2). So I had Utgar. I almost ran the heavies but R˙chean got me loving Dividers a while back and I thought what better time to take them? So my army was –
Dividers x 7 / SBN / Isamu

General Wars

My first match was on Fulcrum against some dude. His army was –
Zelrig / Spartacus / Capuans x 1 / TSA x 1

Other than Zelrig I wasn’t too concerned about his army. He won initiative and bombed my start zone. I moved Dividers up and he bombed again. I was finally able to engage him but had 12 dead dividers by that time. I put a few wounds on the dragon and then Spartacus and the Caps charged me. I killed one Cap and put some wound son Spartacus. Then a curious thing happened. The dude had to pee. So he left in the middle of the game for about ten minutes (it seemed like more) and he was way up on points. I had never had anything like this happen and totally understand that if you have to pee, you have to pee, but was concerned about losing on time. HE came back and we only had ten minutes left to play. He graciously played quickly and I was able to kill off Zelrig and Spartacus both in one OM. I did lose SBN in the process so I was still down on points. I killed off his last Cap and had 5 divders left to his one TSA. I only hit divide once this game.

1-0

My 2nd match was against Mechafrog on Fossil. His army was –
Stingers x 3 / Hyrda x 2 / Ornak

The Hydras were a big concern to me. I really didn’t have any reliable ways to take them out other than just sending one divider up at a time to the slaughter. Mecha played the game very well. He knew that I was all melee and kept the hydras back as body guards to his start zone. The few times I made it there with some key divide rolls, a number one OM on Ornak slowed my roll immediately. After the stingers were eliminated I kept sending on one divider at a time to try and knock off a head or two, but with 5 move and reach, he almost always had high ground on me. We timed out with 2 hydras and Ornak for him and SBN, Isamu, and a 2 squads of divders for me. I was pretty confident that if the game had played out I still would have lost. I did think about brining SBN up to try and smack the hydra(s) but with 2 of them there He would have fallen very, very fast. I hit divide 3-4 times that game.

1-1

My 3rd match was on Warden against Menchi. This was my first time playing against Menchi and it’s always a pleasure to meet another knight fan and Alastair fan. His army was –
Knights x 3 / AE / Al / Finn

My goal this game was to just try to funnel his units so that he couldn’t get more than 2-3 attacks per OM. I knew that if it ended up being a straight up melee match I would get crushed. He took the wound glyph with Finn (awesome move) and the move and defense glyph early. I contested both off and on, but always made sure to try and keep a divider up on the road area so that he couldn’t funnel his knights through there. I forced him down into the ravine and made him climb out of it. I often had height. His AE dropped and he went for a grenade attack. He got a lot of attacks off but between height and dividing I think I only lost maybe 4-5 dividers total to it. I swarmed Al and took him down while thinning out the AE. I was able to reclaim the glyphs all the while not killing Finn and just putting wounds on SBN. Eventually I won the battle of attrition. My divide rolls were pretty good this game. I’m thinking 6-7. Great game Menchi!

2-1

My 4th match was against swninja’s girl on Midnight Lagoon. Her army was –
4th x 3 / Raelin / SoJ x 2

This game is a little bit if a blur except for the end. The thing about dividers is that with 21 of them, they last a long time (theoretically) and often make games long(er). I managed to kill of all her 4th and Raelin while holding the defense glyph for most of the game and I had 3-4 squads of Dividrs left and SBN, but then here come the SoJ. I worked my way over to the wound glyph on the other side. I figured it was the only way I could win. I kept attacking, attacking, and attacking but to no avail. She took the defense glyph from me and headed for SBN. I was trying to keep her tied up but she was throwing off the divider shackles like they were nothing. Time was getting close so we both started playing faster. One SoJ made his way to SBN and managed 2 wounds on him (it). I put an OM on the dragon thinking 7 attack dice could break through 5 defense shields of Valor right?? But to no avail. She crushed the dragon with her warhammers. I was going down hill fast, but something happened. She whiffed two defense rolls in a row, that plus Wannok was wearing her down. I may still have a chance I thought to myself. It was 4 dividers against 2 SoJ. We are playing very fast and Wannok claims another SoJ, but ny dividers start falling fast. I have 2 dividers to her one SoJ. She destroys the Divider on the wound glyph and takes it for herself as my last divider is scrambling over towards her. He takes height on her on OM 3 and attacks, but to no avail. Sheilds of Valor hold strong. She rolls for the wound glyph and my last divider meets his doom. Great job Sarah! That was a very close and fun game! I probably hit divide 3-4 times that game as well.

2-2

My last match was against Woresely on Jotun’s Gap. His army was –
4th x 5 / Drake 2.

I figured this game would be over quick and certainly looked that way early on. Woreley was shooting my guys to bits with height. But a few divider rolls later and I was starting to contest the hill. His dice went cold and my divide rolls warmed up. End the end it came down to 5 dividers and SBN against Drake2. Drake killed 2 dividers but I won on time. Drake had a few wounds on him at the end so it could have gone either way if we played it out. He probably would have cut SBN in half had he gotten he chance.

3-2
I ended up 11th overall and 3rd for Utgar. I was a little disappointed in the number of divide rolls I got. I thought there would have been more. SBN maybe helped once or twice I don’t remember.

Smack Down

Onto Smack Down. I was originally going to run some PKs for this event then I remembered that it was a t-glyph event at the last second. I had always thought MBS was awesome with t-glyphs (even though he is girly) so I came up with a quick Roman army –
Romans x 5 / MBS / Marcus / Raelin
I’ve never played Romans in a tourney so I was pretty excited about it.

My first match was against some dude on Fossil. His army was –
Deathstalkers x 1 / WoB x 1 / AW x 1 / Khosumet / Cyprien

His army was a bit of a mish mash. He made a few rookie mistakes like spreading his OMs out. I gave him some pointers when I could. I talked about height advantage, etc. I felt kind of bad for him. In the end all he managed to do was kill 3 Romans.

1-0

My next game was against a kid on Midnight Lagoon. His army was –
Kato / AH x 1 / AY x 1 / Tagawa / Izumi

He seemed to understand the game pretty well and I was a little hesitant about the 8 attacks per OM so I made sure to eliminate some Ashigaru first. He then moved the Izumi up. I made a wall with Romans so that they were on low ground and couldn’t get up. I just paralyzing stared one at a time until they fell. They Tagawa then moved in and started raising havoc! They had 3 bloodlust markers in one OM. But I created another wall with Romans keeping them on low ground and using MBS to slow them down. I also took a few attacks from high ground with the Romans. After that Kato got swarmed.

2-0

My 3rd game was against Gulp on Elswin Plateau. His army was –
Minions x 2 / Dund / Cyprien

With all my OMs pretty much on one card Dund was a little scary. Gulp sent the minions up while I surrounded my heroes with 12.5 point Romans. I figured I would just win the battle of attrition. But MBS must have used up all his stress last game because he was ice cold and the minions shields were broad defending almost everything I threw at them. Eventually they fell but not before 3 squads of Romans did as well. I kept tight formation waiting for Cyprien or Dund to come forward. I kept the Romans far enough back that Dund only got one gaze chance on me and he missed so he was quickly swarmed. Cyprien flew in and took out Raelin but then was swarmed quickly after that. Good game Gulp.

3-0

My 4th game was against Tiny Timmy on Fossil. His army was –
SB x 4 / Parmenio / Marcus / Raelin / Isamu

Now TT and I play together a lot so we both had similar strategies. Build a wall of Romans / SB backed by Raelin and wait. The problem was I had MBS. TT knew that I would just paralyzing stare his army to demise if I had to so he walked into my wall. He played it quite well but with height advantage and Raelin my Romans outlasted his SB.

4-0

So I was undefeated at this point and of course I run into Girlytrainchoochoo running the Matthias’ kryptonite army –
10th x 4 / Raelin / Marcus on Jotun’s Gap.

What a jerk. He said he purposely ran this army in case he had to play against me. I guess beasting up on his orcs with my orcs last year left a mark on his psyche. We both moved our Raelins up on the hill protecting our guys. I lead with MBS and some Romans charging the hill while GTCC moved Marcus up. I had my forces up quicker and with some stares and Romans was able to take out his Raelin. My Raelin fell quickly after that. I was able to push back his initial surge of redcoats with my Romans and MBS. MBS fell quickly after that and so did my Romans. By this GTCC had his forces on the other hill opposite the Gap and just started picking off my Romans. It just took too long for me to climb those hills. I got wtf to death. 6 move + 6 range was way too maneuverable for 5 move and 1 range. I know he lost Raelin and 2 squads of redcoats but I think that was it. GTCC is a jerk!

4-1 (3rd) Even though I played in the championship match I got knocked down to 3rd. My SOS must have sucked.

So I got back to the hotel with the guys that night and started figuring out my Main Event army. Fomox and I had talked about playing PKS to counter the rats, but the Q bros and Dragons were tough match ups. I talked myself back into knights but was really unsettled on the last 125 points. I was really hoping for Red Wyrmlings to be released but they weren’t. I love my knights and am confident they can kill anything when rats (especially rats with a time limit) (or Matthias’ kryptonite) isn’t involved. But I knew there would be girly people using rats, Raelin, and range and had to be able to counter the girly crap. Kameon is decent but I must suck with him because usually he kills like 3 rats and then he’s dead. I thought about Hawthrone and Eldgrim but Hawthorne but fomox quickly talked me out of that. I settled on the AE + Isamu. I liked the AE as a shock unit and the fact they draw a lot of attention and may be able to open up some holes for my knights to bust through. So my army ended up being –
Knights of Maccabeus x 4 / Gilbert / AE / Isamu

Main Event

As we get to the Con I see rats freaking everywhere. Figures! There’s also like 32545 Q9s running around and stingers. Everybody’s was playing kids stuff (You know units that even my daughter could win with). Not much imagination that I saw except the GSW armies were pretty cool and I saw at least 4 or 5 of them. I was glad to see some heavies armies as well. I figured they would beat the crap out of the lame rat armies. My first game of the main event was probably my favorite game of the whole Con. The pairings were called out and my first match was against Kahrma on Fossil. His army was –
Heavies x 4 / Raelin / Nerak / Tornak

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with Kahrma but he was (is?) the guy to beat in the mid-west except for Spider. When I first started playing competitive heroscape it would be Spider in the upper mid-west and Kahrma in the lower mid-west winning everything. I was thinking about moving to a different part of the country just so I could win a tourney some time! Interestingly enough Kahrma and I never had played against each other. Lately between working lots of hours and playing MonPoc he hasn’t been around as much. I was glad to see him and play against him. Not only was I playing him, but it was a knight against orc battle. Epic stuff!!

My AE drop on the first attempt. I set them up on the little hills surrounded by water. IT took me a few minutes because with Tornak and Nerak both I had to be careful not to set them so they could get engaged. I took some pot shots at a few heavies here and there, but the orcs were moving fast. Tornak was hugging a jungle bush and had Raelin’s and Nerak’s defense bonuses. I was targeting the upcoming heavies trying to keep them off my AE before they engaged them. I did manage to get a shot or 2 on Raelin putting one or 2 wounds on her. Tornak took out one that was alone on the hill by himself. I couldn’t keep Tornak away with 7 move for very long. Then it was time. Kahrma moved his Raelin up to reinforce Tornak next to a jungle bush. It was now or never time. I knew that if my knights had to fight the orcs straight up that I couldn’t win if Raelin was there. I had height with one AE and the other 2 had equal ground. Raelin dropped in 2 attacks! (Which would be a sign of things to come). My last AE then had height on Nerak but he was next to a jungle bush. I rolled 3 skulls, Nerak whiffs and dies in one attack. So I dropped Raelin and Nerak in one OM. That was huge. After that I just kept the orcs bottle necked with my knights so they couldn’t get as many attacks per turn and I won the battle of attrition. Time was called and I had 4 dead AE and a knight or 2. Kahrma had a dead Nerak, Raelin, and 2 squads of orcs. Great game Greg! The AE definitely won that one for me. Without them it would definitely had been an uphill battle for me.

1-0

My second game was against Arcus on Fossil. His army was –
Stingers x 5 / PK x 3

I like knights against stingers very much, especially on a jungle map. The PKs were a pretty cool addition to the army. I actually liked that army even if it did have girly stingers in it. Arcus played the game very well. He kept the PKS up as a screen and used the stingers to shoot over them. He even got me one time with the PKs engaging a bunch of my knights on low ground. After that my knights became even slower. I had to keep them away from little one hex bumps because Arcus was playing his OMs beautifully keeping me guessing on who they were on. But alas 4-6 defense knights and 4-5 attacks per turn out lasted the stingers and PKs. Good game Arcus you played it very well!! Oh and the AE did drop but with the PKs around they only managed to kill about 4-5 stingers before the PKs were all over them.

2-0

My 3rd game was against swninja’s wife on Invasion. Her army was –
10th x 4 / Krav / Raelin (A version of the Matthias’ kryptonite!)

My AE dropped first round and usually I’m not a fan of the grenade but the 10th scare me and she had Raelin in on corner of the board only protecting about half the redcoats. I position my AE so that if she won initiative she could only hit one. She wins initiative and basically read my mind. She moves her 10th over to Raelin’s aura and spreads out the ones with only 2 defense! Well crap! I go for the grenade anyway and it does OK, it kills 5 redcoats total I think. But I had my AE on the height and next to jungle so they had 4 defense against the 10th. They lasted quite a bit longer up there and put a few wounds on Raelin. Sara was concentrating on taking out the AE that I put up on the high points while my knights were funneling forward. The AE fell but my knights were everywhere by then. I cleared off most of the redcoats and then Raelin flew up. I think Sara thought there would be more redcoats left up there when she moved Raelin up. I swarmed Raelin and then finished off the redcoats and the Krav in her start zone shortly after that. Sara is a good player and I enjoyed both of my games against her at the Con!

3-0

My 4th game was against Menchi and his knights! I loved playing him in General Wars and was looking forward to playing him again. The good news was I knew that whoever won the game would go onto day 2 with knights! Menchi’s army was –
Knights x 3 / Finn / Al / Krav on Fossil

Menchi once again puts Finn on the wound glyph just waiting for me to kill him to put him on the Krav or Al. He also keeps using his attack bonus. It was pretty much a back and forth game. My AE drop, in either round 2 or 3, but I just put them back in my start zone and just used them once. Then Menchi made an interesting move (he did say that I’m allowed to say he screwed up). He charged Alastair in with an overextend to try and get to high ground on Gilbert. The problem was he thought I was done with my OMs and I had one more that round. So I swarmed Al and dropped him in one OM. After that my 4 x knights outlasted his 3 x knights and I skipped the few he had left and went straight for his Krav in his start zone to try and tie them down before they started creating too much havoc. I was able to lock them down with a decent dispatch roll and finish off the remaining knights and Finn. Well played Menchi except for the Al thing. It’s always sweet to see somebody else appreciate the knights as much as I do!

4-0

OK I had dodged the rats long enough it was now time to face the music I guess. My next opponent was my girly units himself, dok. We played on Elswin Plateau. His army was –
Q9 / rats x 3 / Raelin / Hydra

As soon as I sat down I knew the game would be called to time. I’ve played against rats and on Elswin plateau enough to know. My AE got the first round drop and I had a huge decision to make. Do I kill Raelin or do I TRY and kill Q9. I knew that if I killed Raelin I had a good shot of winning the game (WHEN THERE WAS NO TIME LIMIT). I could punch through 4-5 defense rats easy enough and lay waste to the girly king himself Q9. The hydra would be a little tricky, but I would just engage it one knight at a time (coward’s reward rocks!). But I knew with rats, Elswin Plateau, and dispatching knights I would never get a chance to finish the game. I also knew that if I could get lucky on Q9 and kill him I could probably win the game time limit included. I went for the Q9 gamble and scored 2 wounds on him but that was it. I lost my AE and my knights secured the move and heal glyph while dok just waited and took potshots when he could. I started to push the rats off the high ground and had slowly claimed it with 6 or so knights with plenty more still coming when time was called. I lost 4 knights and my AE and dok lost a squad of rats. If the game had continued on I still feel I had a chance. A couple more rats dead and there would be little place for the girly king to hide. I’m not saying by any means that I would have won, but the game was far from being over when time was called. With only 2 offensive units and one half dead I liked my chances.

4-1 (6th seed for day 2) It wasn’t that big of a deal since I still made day 2 or was it??
My day 2 first round was going to be against Girlytrainchoochoo who was already running 2 x rats and was definitely adding 2 x more. Once again he told me that he made this army just for me. JERK!

Treasure Quest

The next event was Treasure Quest. When I first read the rules for this I knew it would be a Cyprien fest. I had originally thought about taking some Armocs and the VW but after talking to Lonewolf he mentioned Spiders and the Wyvern(s). I thought that could be pretty fun. So my army was –
Wyverns x 3 / Spiders x 5

My first game was against Jdtenor on Warden. His army was –
Krug / Mimring / Ornak / AG x 4.

Krug was a little intimidating and Jdtenor played him perfectly. He was an absolute beast with all the t-glyphs. About 2 OMs into the game R˙chean mentioned that it was a 16 hex limit start zone. AH CRAP!! I happened to have Estivara on me so I switched her out for 2 squads of spiders. Jdtenor was a total gentleman about the whole thing. I hadn’t played with Estivara really and I kind of fumbled around with her just to get a feel for her. All in the meanwhile Krug and the AGs were beasting up on my whole army. Estivara did get to 20 Mimring with her special attack though so that was pretty sweet. Jdtenor wiped the floor with me. I had no answer to Krug with all the t-glyphs.

0-1

OK I was feeling a little more confident with this army now after I got a feel for it. It was a real fun army actually! My next opponent was some dude on Warden. His army was –
Cyprein / Sonya / Iskra / Rechets / MW / WoA x 3?

He flew Cyprein in collecting t-glyphs but made the rookie mistake of only putting 2 OMs on him. I moved Estivara up so she could get a good look of the trench area on Warden and just sent the spider in to swarm. The Wyverns + Estivara enhanced spiders were freakin’ awesome! I killed Cyprien and killed Iskra before she summoned. The MW soon fell after. It took a long time to finish off the WoA but it was a fun game to see the spiders and wyverns in action.

1-1

My next game was against another dude on Midnight Lagoon. His army was –
Q9 / Skahen / Carr / Micro x 1.

I thought I was in trouble when his Q9 killed Estivara in one OM. But he left Q9 and Skahen both on low ground picking up t-glyphs. The spiders and Wyverns swarmed them and finished them off fairly quickly. Carr had moved up with cover fire and was smacking my wyvern. I got a venomous sting off on him and he lost some OMs. The Micro finished off all but one spider. They were on high ground and I had 1 spider and 2 wyverns left. I thought I was in trouble. I sent the spider to the far corner and the wyvern swooped in and was able to keep the Micro on even ground. The Micro suck on even ground! The wyvern easily fended off attacks of 2 and finished off the Micro.

2-1

My next game was against Kildawabit on Warden. His army was –
Nilf / GSW x 4 / Johnny / Isamu

I thought I was toast this game. No way I could stand up to GSW and Nilf. But with probably the worse rolling I had ever seen by Kildawabit I was able to stay in the game. Estivara moved to see the gorge while spiders engaged GSW. Nilf moved up to the road to grab a t-glyph but couldn’t see spiders because of little they were. A wyvern engaged Nilf and hit with venomous sting. Nilf quickly took 4 wounds. He was able to defeat that wyvern but another moved up and was able to finish him off. In the mean time my 3/3 spiders were rocking the 2/3 GSW. Kildawabit couldn’t roll shields for anything. The dice definitely left him that game. Eventually Johnny was overrun.

3-1

My last game was against some dude on Jotun’s Gap. His army was –
Cyprien / Sonya / Sonlen / Brandis / MW

I moved Estivara up early and grabbed the defense glyph with her in the middle of the gap. Cyprien swooped in and hit her for 2 wounds. Then my Wyvern and spiders went nuts. I was skull rolling machine. Cyprien got venomous stung and the spiders just swarmed everywhere!

4-1 (3rd place) I definitely enjoyed this army more than any of my others. I t was a blast to play!!

Main Event Day 2
I had no answer for the rats. I was going to beg and plead R˙chean for some red Wyrmlings. But I didn’t! A symbol was rolled so I had 135 points and 2 hexes (well I had Isamu so I had 3 hexes). Fomox and I talked for hours about the best upgrade option. So much so the rest of our room got tired of waiting to play Dominion Prosperity with us and bust out WoW minis. We were all over the place with Runa being the front runner for awhile. With a full start zone like GTCC had I figured she actually could get a crap load of Mitonsouls off. Then I had it! Hawthorne + Theracus! I absolutely love Hawthrone’s special attack (but absolutely hate his special ability). I knew that If I could get Theracus to fly Hawthorne up. I could blind rage the crap out of GTCC start zone. I had to try it. I had no real other options. Kaemon just dies too quickly and I didn’t have enough start zone hexes for repulsors left.

My first round much up was against Girlytrainchoochoo on Invasion. His army was –
Q9 / Kaemon / MW / Raelin / freakin rats x 4 / Arkmer the Evil

I was going to have to get real lucky this game to win. Knights are horrible against rats and Kaemon and Arkmer! My AE drop first round. GTCC decides to go all rats. He wins initiative and they come marching forward. My AE love me and so do my Jesus dice. First one attacks Raelin 4/4 skulls. Second one attacks Raelin 4/4 skulls. Dead Raelin. Third one attacks Kaemon 3/4 skulls. The fourth one attacks Kameon 3/4 skulls. Dead Kameon. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!! Take that you girly ranged unit user!! (But wait, aren’t the AE ranged? Shut up, nobody asked you!) GTCC floods my AE and the board with rats. I take some disengagements with my AE to try and get a few more shots but lose 2 and only get one more shot off which does nothing. GTCC grabs the move and defense glyph while my knights start swarming the road area. He places a few rats in my way and I have to start the long process of killing 15 rats. Theracus swoops Hawthorne close to the start zone. After he sufficiently jams everything up with rats his MW come out. I pull a pretty slick move (if I do say so myself) and disengage Theracus and engage all 4 MWs in one move with him. Theracus lives and my knights close in. I still have a crap load of rats to punch through and I am able to get to a few MWs. In the mean time Hawthorne is blind raging like crazy against Q9 getting him down to 1 life. Q9 fires back putting 4 wounds on Hawthrone. Than it happens the infamous stab in the back! Take the traitor!! I don’t want him anyway! The MW get tied up and start falling slowly so MTCC switches to the thrice wounded Q9. He keeps him back behind all the rats but with 5 or so defense with the jungle the knights last quite a while. The rats are starting to thin out and Q9 is starting to get scared. Then GTCC has 2 good turns with Q9 wiping out 5 knights in 6 attacks. I am still able to engage him with 4 knights and Gilbert. The Mechanical menace falls! I have Theracus with 2 wounds left Gilbert at dull life and a squad of knights against Arkmer, Hawthorne with 4 wounds and 1 rat on the defense glyph. I’m liking my odds! Knight # 1 moves up to Arkmer, engagement strike. Crap! Knight # 2 moves up, engagement strike. CRAP! Knight # 3 moves up, engagement strike. WHAT THE FREAKIN CRAP!! I HATE ARKMER!! HE’S BROKEN! HE SHOULD BE LIKE AN A+ UNIT! Gilbert moves up, Arkmer finally whiffs, but so does Gilbert’s attack. The last knight puts one more wound on Hawthorne. Hawthorne regular attacks and kills the knight. So I have Gilbert with full health, Theracus with 2 wounds against a full health Arkmer and 1 life Hawthorne and 1 rat on the defense glyph. Gilbert manages 2 wounds on Arkmer before Hawthorne takes him to blind rage school. I know have Theracus engaged to the rat on the defense glyph against Arkmer and Hawthorne each with one life left. I disengage, GTCC whiffs the roll. I engage Arkmer and whiff my attack roll. Arkmer attacks and Theracus blocks. Theracus attacks again and whiffs again! Arkmer attacks and kills Theracus. After I got home Sun night I took my Arkmer and lit him on fire.

So I didn’t make it past the first round of day 2, but man I tried. I definitely never should have won this game it was a horrible match-up but I played it best I could. My knights did well until they ran into rats. Same old story, same old song and dance. I thought Hawthorne + the AE could throw a big enough wrench into the rats that I may have a chance and I did, I just blew it. Good game GTCC (not really you’re a jerk! Why couldn’t you have added Brave Arrow instead?!)

After I lost I just walked around making as much fun of GTCC and his tight shirt as I could. I’m not sure where he got his shirt at, but my guess is Babies R Us. My daughter is 5 and has a shirt the same exact size!

Heat of the Battle

OK so I gave the dividers one chance, why not another one?! My army was Dividers x 8!

My first match was against a neat teen, Scaper Dude. His army was –
Grimnak / Heavies x 4

Thank goodness SD is much cooler than his old dad. This was a close game but I won’t bore you with details. It was back and forth much of the game. Grimnak chomped 3-4 squads of Dividers and I only hit one divide roll the whole game. At the end I had 3-4 Dividers and SD had Grimnak with a wound or 2. I was on the wound glyph and rolled a 1, killing my divider. After it was said and done Grimnak stood victorious with 4 wounds. If my divider had rolled anything but a one… IT was a fun game and SD definitely knows how to play! I enjoyed the game very much!

0-1

My next game was against some kid on Elswin Plateau. His army was –
Grimnak / Hounds x 2 / Raelin.

Not Grimnak again! His hounds rolled horribly for plague. They died pretty quickly but Grimnak was slowly chewing through my army. I finally finished off Raelin and then Grimnak fell shortly after that.

1-1

My next game was against Jdtenor on Warden? His army was –
Hydra / Stingers x 3 / WoA x 2

The hydra concerned me but I played it well only engaging it with one divider at a time. JDtenor even disengaged once or twice because he knew that one dead divider per turn wouldn’t cut it. I finally knicked a few heads off the hydra and was picking off stingers. I had the wound glyph most of the game too. That helped thin out the WoA at the end. Good game George!

2-1

My 3rd game swninja ducked me so I played Vminer instead. Vince is truly one of the reasons I love coming to heroScape tournaments. He’s a class act and a great guy! His army was –
Knights x 1 / Denrick / Water Elemental / Hydra / Izumi on Invasion.

I used the same strategy against the hydra just engaging it one at a time and finally wore it down. The knights and Denrick fell along with the Water El shortly thereafter. 2 Izumi fell quickly, but one jumped up on height and just gave me fits. He counterstruck at least 4 dividers before he finally fell! Thanks for the game Vince! It was a pleasure!

3-1

My final opponent was somebody I’m very familiar with playing against, fomox. In fact we built almost all our armies for Gen Con with each other’s advice. His army was –
Romans x 4 / Mo / MBS / Marcu / Isamu on Joutn’s Gap.

We both knew this would come down to dice rolls at the end. And my divides that I hadn’t been hitting, came in full stride in the last game. Time was eventually called and fomox had Mo and 2 Romans left and I had 12 dividers left.

4-1 (4th? Overall) Once again I think my SOS sucked. I know the battle reports weren’t as detailed for HotB but when you start right next to (well pretty close to) the other guy it’s mostly about the dice.

Heroes Only

Last year I had a blast with my Jotun / Krug army. WSG and Marcu were pretty dumb so I threw in the new Shurrak that Tiny Timmy had won because 5 base attack is pretty sweet. This event is all about attack dice! And I added in fillers. My army was –
Jotun / Krug / Shurrak / Marcu / Chain Fighter x 1

My first match was against Brownsfan on Fossil. His army was –
Q10 / Cyprien / Sonya / Estivara / Krug

Bronsfan leads out with Cyprien while Jotun starting whacking on him. Cyprein put some wounds on the giant but eventually fell to the power of 8 attack dice. Q10 steps up and is a tank. He takes out both Shurrak and Jotun with maybe a wound total. I was losing fast. Krug comes up and Estivara poison damages him until he has 7 wounds. KRUG SMASH. 2 attacks later Q10 and Estivara were dead. Wait, I think Shurrak killed Sonya in there somewhere. So my Krug engages his Krug and I deal 7 wounds to his Krug. His Krug finishes off my Krug. My Marcu swoops in and lands the final blow on his Krug. Whew! That was a close one. Krug hits hard!

1-0

My next match was against dok and his dreaded Firestorm or whatever it’s called. His army was –
Kurrok / Raelin / FE x 10 on Midnight Lagoon.

My goal was just to get next to Kurrok and beat the crap out of him. Somehow I thought that the shadow plateau in the middle was 2 hexes high or something because I placed Jotun where a FE could engage and of course he hit for all 3 SEs. Dok was moving the FEs so fast that he wasn’t rolling for SE with the one he left next to Kurrok. Somehow he said he should only roll it once, whatever. Of course he missed it. I got Jotun next to Kurrok through some disengages and put 4 wounds on him. Dok kills off the giant (which had 3 wounds he shouldn’t have had but I’m dumb sometimes when I throw an army together last minute). Then Shurrak grabs a healing potion and follows the same footsteps as Jotun. He engaged Kurrok and Raelin both with Sweeping Sword Special attack. Dok kept trying to roll for Kurrok first instead of Raelin though I was targeting Raelin. It only mattered when I had a chance to kill her though. Anyway Shurrak killed of Kurrok (and Raelin?). I forget because dok conceded the game after that. He still had like 9 FEs left, but I guess he didn’t want to play it out.

2-0

My 3rd match was against Lord Trassk on Midnight Lagoon. His army was –
Brandis / KA / Tandros / Sonlen / Darrak.
Now many people don’t really know how powerful 8 attack dice is until they face it once. LT I think was one of those players. I felt kind of bad because my throws were hitting like crazy. I was often throwing guys down to lower ground so I could attack with 9 dice. Jotun wiped out Brandis, Tandros, Kaemon, and Sonlen while only taking one wound. LT conceded the game when he only had Darrak left. I felt kind of like a jerk after that game but LT was very cool about it. I felt even worse when he had to play fomox again who was running the same army as I was. He learned his lesson though the first time against Jotun and played fomox pretty well from what I could see of their game.

3-0

My 4th game was on Fossil against M K Wookie. His army was –
Nilf / Charos / Q10

Wookie was a very gracious guy and a great opponent. I lead with Jotun grabbing the attack rune on the way. I put some wounds on Charos and killed Q10. Nilf finished of Jotun. Shurrak moved up and got laid to waste by the ice dragon. Krug got into a boxing match with Charos and Nilf. Charos had 7 wounds, Nilf had 0 and Krug had 6. It was initiative time. Wookie put 2 on Charos and Nilf. This was a huge roll. I rolled a 10. I figured Wookie had it. He rolled a 7, but where were his OMs? I had to guess right if I wanted a chance. I attacked Nilf first scoring 3 wounds on him. Now where is his first OM? Charos or Nilf? I went after Nilf. I figured Marcu + the chain fighter could get 2 more wounds on Charos if need be, but Nilf had a multi-attack. I attacked Nilf and rolled like 5 skulls. Nilf dies and it was his first OM. I attacked Charos on OM 2 and kill him off as well. Man that was a huge initiative. If he had won it I’m pretty confident that I would have lost that game! Great game Wookie!

4-0

My last game was against Arcus on Fossil. His army was –
Hydra x 2 / Q9 / Zetacron / Marcu / Isamu ?

I had already played Arcus once at the con and he was a good guy and played well. The hydras scared me a bit. Arcus led with Zetacron hitting Jotun for a wound. Jotun smashed the robot. Arcus screwed up his OMs on the wrong hydra so he wasn’t able to get to Jotun, which I was nervous about. Jotun moves up and one hits a hydra. It’s getting ugly quick for Arcus. Jotun lays another 5 skull blow on the other hydra but the hydra only takes one wound and Jotun dies. Krug moves up. Arcus uses the hydra as a road block for Krug. Krug works his way around grabbing the defense glyph and scoring one more wound on the hydra in the process. Q9 queglix gun is full of blanks. I think he only rolled 2 skulls once the whole time for it. Krug with the defense glyph and a Q9 who can’t attack spells doom for Arcus. Eventually Q9 and the hydra fall to Krug who has 6 wounds from all the disengaging. Marcu dies quickly. Isamu puts up a fight finishing off Krug but falling to Shurrak. I really think that if Arcus had better rolls he wins this one. He played it very well but couldn’t get the dice to like him.

5-0 (1st place)

I am now 10-0 at Gen Con with Jotun! Move him up!

I had an absolute blast again his year guys! Lonewolf giving the dice to Tiny Timmy was totally gentlemanly of you. It was great to see everybody again and meet more new faces. Menchi and RoninValentina, go Knights!!
R˙chean you rock! Thanks for putting on great events!
To my room (Tiny Timmy, Clarissimus, Stubobj, fomox, and Chris M) thanks for putting up with this phantom snorer you kept talking about!

HerosScape rocks!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 12th, 2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: How do you edit the title of the thread?
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:30 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Dok was moving the FEs so fast that he wasn’t rolling for SE with the one he left next to Kurrok. Somehow he said he should only roll it once, whatever. Of course he missed it.
What happened was that I put one FE next to Kurrok, thinking I would move him away on my first activation. Then on that activation, after counting out where I wanted to move the FE, I thought "hey, I can move the back one and still get there", stupidly forgetting that I had to move the one next to Kurrok first. Then after I had moved my NEXT fire elemental, you said, "hey, shouldn't you be rolling for searing intensity on Kurrok?" You were right of course, and I offered you to either have me roll SI on the second move, or take back the second move and roll it for the first move. But it doesn't make sense for me to go back and roll for searing intensity on the first move, and then still be forced to make the same second move.

Anyway, you totally outplayed me that game. I really had no idea how to keep your guys away from Kurrok. I got pretty lucky and still lost by a pretty big margin.

If I had kept going after Kurrok died I might have been able to win on time, but it would have been the lamest victory ever.

Last edited by dok; August 12th, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Matthias' Gen Con 2009 and 2010 report

I couldn't help but notice that a lot of those matches came down to time during the main event. What's the time limit on it, 30 minutes? I think I've had one game in my life come down to time. I just can;t imagine that time is such a force in gencon.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker
Re: Matthias' Gen Con 2009 and 2010 report

Another great report!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports