Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old August 8th, 2016, 11:42 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Dysole's Battle Reports

Battle Report Thread

Twitch Channel

YouTube Channel

Gencon 2016

Gencon 2017
Gencon 2018

Scapecon 2021
Scapecon 2022

~Dysole, who can't believe it took her this long to set this up

Last edited by Dysole; April 3rd, 2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old August 9th, 2016, 01:58 AM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Gencon 2016

Okay, so this year was fun. I played in 4 events, the Thursday Night Classic, Uniques Only, Main Event, and the Take 2 CoB C3V/SoV tourney.

Thursday Night Classic:

I built the army like the day before I left for Gencon and because of this I forgot to tell W099 to bring stuff I could borrow. The original army was Marro Drones x5, Kaemon, Eltahale, Heirloom/Raelin. But I forgot to tell W099 to bring Eltahale and 2 squads of Drones. Luckily, lefton4ya was able to loan me some Drones and I decided to just go with Ana Karithon, Heirloom, and Eldgrim (drop a figure) to go with Awa and the Drones. I just wanted to see what would happen with it and it had all sorts of fun things it could do.

Round 1
infectedsloth (Ornak, Brunak, Mind Flayer, Blade Gruts x2, Nerak, Raelin (RotV), Marcu, Isamu, MBS) on Vestige

This army was quite the hodgepodge and I felt pretty good with my army against it and so selected mine. He removed Ana and then I removed Eldgrim and he let me play me with my army. These drones were faulty as they got to move more than 3 one time the entire game. There was some definite jockeying for position early on around the move glyph and he gummed up the area pretty quickly with his heroes and blades. Before I had even gotten a chance to bring my heroes out, we had time called and he was way ahead of me on points. It was an interesting build and had we played the game to completion I think Awa and Heirloom could've made it very interesting. It was a very clever build from infectedsloth and definitely looked much weaker than it was. I'm pretty sure he took it to win the whole event.

Round 2
Mr. Chompy (TKN, SBN, Krav Maga Agents, Nagrubs x4) on Wendigo

I already knew Wendigo was a rough map in general. Without the Krav I felt very confident in being able to beat Mr. Chompy but I felt I could do it even with the Krav. He took his build and I took mine. I don't remember much of the details of the game but he took unique attack early with his Krav while I rushed drones up the mountain. They actually managed to kill a couple Krav but not without many of them dying and again rolling really crappy on activations. 6 move Kaemon Awa (Eldgrim) did a lot of work killing the hivelords and the map was not kind to them. I forget all the details but I know that when I had drones and/or Kaemon on the bridge raining down fire. Afterwards, Mr. Chompy told me I was the first person besides himself to beat that build of his. It was a solid build and he told me he was taking it to Main the next day.

Round 3
Mr. Chompy's son (Airborne Elite, Romans x2, Marcus, NGS, James Murphy, Hydra) on Vestige

I...really did not like facing Airborne and so grabbed his army. He dropped his Airborne and I happily took my army. This game drones actually did much better on activations as I hit multiple 9 drone activations. I grabbed the move glyph (I think that was what glyph it was) and started single engaging the Hydra to minimize Hydra damage. Murphy took a couple tries to kill the guy on the glyph and then everything started going downhill as I massacred his Hydra, dropped Murphy down to one life, and killed most of the Romans (after failing to inflict any damage much earlier). And then just as quickly, EVERYTHING that could go wrong did. Murphy disengaged, lived, and blasted Heirloom, Ana, and Kaemon sitting in a pod putting two wounds on Kaemon and Ana and one on Heirloom. I failed 3 tries to heal Kaemon and all my attacks before NGS punched him and Ana in the face and mindshackled Heirloom. It was hilarious and he said that he should not have won that game. Sometimes, that's just the way things go. I arguably should've sent Kaemon off to start dancing around and just spewing his range everywhere instead of sticking around for the heal but I felt it was reasonable to try for 2 tries at it. Oh well.

Final record
1-2

Uniques Only

MegaSilver gave me his ticket and I waffled on whether or not I was going to play before deciding the day of to. I was contemplating entering the HoB tournament with Ashra x5, Awa, Raelin but decided I'd have more fun in the uniques only tournament. I was going to run Raelin, Hydra, Krav, Heirloom but then remembered uncommons didn't count so the day of I swapped out Hydra for Awa and then decided to add in Marro Warriors and MBS instead of Heirloom (since I already had a special, MW are good, and MBS could be good Krav tech).

Round 1
The Orange Mailman (Zettian Guards, Elite Onyx Vipers, Izumi Samurai, Krav Maga Agents, Tarn Viking Warriors, Marcu Esenwein) on Wendigo

Oh Wendigo. Trust me I'll be saying that again. I led with Raelin and MBS trying to snipe his Krav and I managed to do pretty well at getting rid of them. I ended up engaging his Krav with my own Krav to take them out as well. Krav managed to maintain control and take out two of the EoV and all the Tarns but the Zettian Guards actually managed to eliminate everything that wasn't Marro Warriors thanks to an EoV sitting on Dagmar and occupying the bridge. Marros did manage to kill the last EoV. I probably threw 20 attacks at those Zettians and they just wouldn't die. (One finally died on the penultimate attack) Time got called and he was up 130 to 50 (Zettians+Izumi vs. 3 Marro Warriors).

Round 2
vminer (Krav Maga Agents, Syvarris, Krug, Izumi Samurai, Marcu Esenwein) on Vestige

He was sitting right next to mine and TOM's game and he was not happy to play my army but he was a great sport about it the whole game. I once again led with Raelin and MBS setting up on one of the hills and managed to paralyze one of his Krav and set up a good blocking but Syvarris managed to kill the marro. By this time I'd moved onto Kaemon who managed to finish off the elf and I set him up on height in Raelin's aura. I then moved to Krav just as Krug was coming into play. Normally I'd save Krug for last and run around peppering him with regenerating Marro Warriors but counter strike decided against that. His first attack on Kaemon landed a wound on Krug but the second attack put on three. My next order marker was on Krav who got height and ended it exactly as you expect. They then cleaned up the leftovers.

Round 3
Alexander (Braxas, Raelin, Izumi Samurai, Marro Warriors) on Wendigo

Still had only played on two maps thus far. Alexander was the kid running around in the Spiderman outfit and I don't know if he has a user name on here. I saw Braxas and I was not enthused. Raelin and Kaemon led out to try and kill his Braxas and Kaemon managed 4 wounds before dying. Braxas managed to spit a Krav when they tried to finish her off (missing one of the Krav really helped me). I ran the Krav off to pepper Braxas while she was engaged with MBS and managed to finish her off. His Izumi Samurai had been wailing on Raelin as well (his OMs were pretty spread out and even Raelin had come down and attacked MBS a couple times). His marro managed to catch one of my Krav running up to take the bridge on a whiff but I managed to kill more of his marro with my own and they managed to finish off all the remaining units.

Round 4
Xorlof (Major Q9, Laglor, Krav Maga Agents) on Quasatch Playground

A new map! Pretty sure this was the only time I played on this map at Gencon. I like it. Before sitting down, Xorlof said I was going to beat him. I... was less confident as Q9 can live forever. I charged MBS and managed to kill a Krav when it whiffed on his attack. I then retreated and put him on the high ground in Raelin's aura. I then set up the Krav behind MBS. Xorlof and I traded blows with me shooting 3 attacks of 4 and him shooting 9 attacks of 1. I managed to pull it off and then Krav managed to kill the other Krav one by engagement the other by getting another whiff. Kaemon then finished off Laglor easily.

Final record
3-1

Take 2 CoB C3V/SoV

This was another army set I came up with the day before I left for Gencon. Marrden Hounds x3, Moltenclaw vs. Knights of Weston x2, Finn, Thorgrim, Eldgrim, B-11 Resistance Corps. I also thought it was HoB/CoB not straight CoB which means I probably would've not brought that 2nd army. It ended up not mattering.

Round 1
lefton4ya's friend (Cathar Spearmen x3, Raymond, Raelin 2.0 vs. another army that I don't remember right now) on Burial Marsh

I saw Cathars and grabbed them. Cathars are good. He grabbed the knight build. As I don't think he quite understood what was going on he put Cathar on some of the higher ground while I put B-11 underneath those Cathar and dropped each squad of knights on opposite ends of the board and tossed Thorgrim and Finn in the corners. It was a massacre. I killed all the B-11s in two turns. While all the figures managed to hold out decently well thanks to 4 defense (even Eldgrim survived for a while) my 4 defense held out better.(5 sometimes because Rae was in a decent enough spot for some of the Cathar) He only managed to kill 2 Cathar before I had destroyed his entire army.

Round 2
dok (Varkanaan Darkclaws, Varkanaan Swiftfangs, Varkanaan Greyspears, Varkanaan Quickblades, Marcu, Otonashi vs. Hoplitrons x3, Major J15, 10th x3) on Vestige

I was 0-10 in all my games against dok going into this. He said he was tired and felt like it was a suboptimal decision but he took the 10th because he'd played Varks the last game. I took Varks. He dropped my Darkclaws and Greyspears on the water in the middle of the map and the Swiftfangs and Quickblades on the opposite end of the map from where I was setting up all his 10th. I also placed all the Hoplitrons in water and plopped J15 behind the 10th. I won initiative and Darkclaws began massacring. Everything went my way including a single Darkclaw surviving 4 attacks so that I could get in some attacks with Greyspears instead of a lost Order Marker. I didn't ever feel really in control until a Quickblade managed to kill J15 with its special attack the first time it ever attacked him. The game pretty well steamrolled into my first loss. dok didn't want to detract from my win but he was definitely burnt out. Seems about right for what feels like the 4th law of Thermodynamics (dok beats Dysole when they play a game).

Round 3
Big Boa (Ebon Armor, Tagawa Samurai, Izumi Samurai, Tomoe Gozen, Marcu vs. Calibrax, Rygarn, Siiv, 20th Maine x3) on Wendigo

He grabbed the Ebon and I saw this map was amazing for Calibrax and so grabbed that. I dropped his army pretty much on one side of the map and he dropped Rygarn and Siiv among them and the 20th and Calbirax on the other side. I led with Calibrax and managed to kill Tomoe and a samurai from each squad before getting boxed in by Ebon. I decided to try and kill them but failed and died horribly. My attempts to gain some kind of ground failed and Ebon finished off the 20th (with Marcu finishing off the last one). In hindsight I should've led with the 20th and tried to claim the hill before moving to Calibrax. Oh well. Still got a Bramcephys and some cards for figures I have/want.

Final Record
2-1

Main Event

I wanted to try a Sudema build and toyed with Sudema, a mess of rats, Taelord, and Krav. Krav and rats would be pretty brutal to hand someone on day 2 though. I don't even know how I stumbled on Deathstalkers but somehow I did while my MacDirk build was not working out for me in Gencon prep. After some brainstorming, Krav and Raelin seemed like the best option for ranged support and Marcu was good glyph grabbing/wound insurance. After some playtesting with kevindola, I liked how it played and decided it was the way to go. I was also the only entrant who needed to borrow hexes so that was special. ^_^

Round 1
Alexander (Ulginesh, Arkmer, Emirroon, Jorhdawn, Chardris, Acolarh) on Fire Isles

Different Alexander then the Uniques tournament. If he had a user name on Scapers I didn't get it. I felt decently okay going into this because Krav although the small map did worry me some. I decided to lead with Stalkers only to watch them just get OWNED and Chardris one shot Raelin. I managed to put a few wounds on various elves losing almost all my stalkers before deciding to switch to Krav. They managed to kill Ulginesh in one turn giving me a free round where I killed Acolarh and put a lot of wounds on the the other elves. He was never able to catch the remaining Krav and the elf pod fell apart very quickly even though Emirroon teleporting people around and Arkmer nabbing Kelda did worry me for a bit.

Round 2
Mr. Chompy (TKN, SBN, Krav Maga Agents, Nagrubs x4) on Wendigo

Yeah. You read that right. I played him again. Same army. Same map (literally). Same round. This time I had things which were able to catch Krav much quicker than Drones but he still managed to kill a fair number of Stalkers especially once he had unique attack but I managed to kill one of them including at least one maul. SBN managed to come over and kill Raelin but then died to Krav. TKN managed to kill a Krav but the Krav managed to finish him off. The map really hurt TKN and SBN as they just couldn't keep up with the ping ponging Krav. Mr. Chompy was a good sport about all of it and reminded me why I have enjoyed every game I've played with him (4 at Gencons. He beat me twice last year and I beat him twice this year).

Round 3
WOOKIE (10th x2, Roman Legionnaires x2, Marcus, Raelin, Sgt. Drake Alexander) on Fire Isles

I was worried about this army as Drake could be problematic for the Krav but fortunately WOOKIE decided to pod up with 10th and Romans. When I saw this I grabbed the move glyph with a Stalker and set up a pod in Raelin's aura with Krav surrounded by Stalkers. I managed to be able to snipe most of the team this way (it got much easier after Raelin died) although when he did finally manage to push his last few romans through a Krav got trapped on lava and died. Drake came out as the last couple Romans were dying and got surrounded by Stalkers. I managed to get two mauls on Drake, one coming when he had 1 life (no kill like overkill).

Round 4
vegietarian18 (Ulginesh, Raelin (RotV), Morsbane, Jorhdawn, Chardris, Kyntella Gwyn, Arkmer) on Flash Fire

vegie and I had talked briefly the day before about Gencon armies and I had a sneaking suspicion he was bringing elves + Raelin after we talked. I want to say I realized during Gencon Prep I realized someone could run that and it seemed like a fine army to me. I know I was much more worried about this army than the first elf pod because Raelin + Morsbane could negate Krav plus I know vegie is a solid player. I joked to him before we started that since I felt I was going to lose my other games but won and felt like I was going to win this game that I was probably going to lose. We proceeded to play a very solid game with me leading with Stalkers to try and kill Morsbane (and/or whatever other elves they could get) and them getting shredded (you think I'd've learned my lesson). I made some poor placements that I regretted almost immediately as soon as he took his turn and was able to torch multiple Stalkers with Jorhdawn. Things started swinging back in my favor once Krav came out (I think I took too long to switch over) and Morsbane died without negating Krav. vegie managed to suicide a couple elves to kill the Krav (one of which I stupidly moved out of Raelin's aura). I managed to kill Arkmer and Jorhdawn (I think with Krav) and Stalkers managed to finish off Chardris with a maul, kill Kyntella, put three wounds on Ulginesh and Raelin. Last round got called. On my last order marker I tried to finish off Ulginesh with a 4 attack Raelin down but he blocked it. vegie then made a classy move by just claiming the win on his last turn instead of going to try and kill the Stalker. I pointed out he could and he said that since he was in, he didn't feel like potentially screwing me over with that. I appreciated that but I would end up not needing it.

Round 5
TurkeyClubSammich (Ornak, Hydra x4, Marcu) on Wendigo

I was really, really, really, really, really, really hoping I didn't draw him. I did not like the idea of having to face 4 Hydras. I thought the game would be a blowout. I was right but in the wrong way. I put a useless Order Marker on Marcu which after I realized I couldn't grab a glyph I just put on the bridge to block it off from potential Hydras. It managed to stave off the Hydras long enough for my Krav to cover the 3 spaces on the middle of the bridge forcing Hydras to attack them from range. Krav then proceed to own. I never whiffed a stealth dodge and they managed to knock all the Hydras down to 2 life REALLY quickly. Marcu came off of unique attack and managed to kill a Krav but I was still able to hold the bridge (especially thanks to a timely whiff from Marcu). At one point, with one Hydra dead and 3 with one wound each, I felt decently confident Raelin backed Stalkers could finish the game but I decided it was better for me to go until the Krav were done. They managed to kill everything and nothing else got an Order Marker the entire game and I only lost a squad of Stalkers and Marcu. I felt a little bad for TurkeyClubSammich as he was very right that this map was a major component of my victory. He did end up making Day 2 so it wasn't super bad.

If someone had told me I'd go 4-1 (and very nearly win my loss) with this build I wouldn't've believed them but it happened. I felt I played well and was happy to make day 2 with another "crappy unit" (after making it with Harqs last year)

Day 2

Round 1
Weesel99 (Mezzodemons x6, Raelin, Kaemon Awa) on Burial Marsh

I saw this matchup and thought "I will need dice to hate me to lose". A couple order markers into the game vegies dad (I think) pointed out that Maul gets around Exoskeleton. That worried me slightly but Maul was still only one out of every 8 attacks. I started to get worried when Stalkers were not dying. I let a couple Mezzos die without burning any exoskeletons and I had Kaemon running around trying to kill things. He set up Raelin on a nice perch. I managed to engage her and one of the Krav and failed to kill it with Quick Release but he managed to survive despite one life especially once Raelin came up to give him some extra defense. I brought forward 4 Mezzos and used them to slowly advance up the nearby hill killing any Stalkers and engaging another Krav. Eventually he got desperate and used one of his Krav to shoot adjacent Kaemon and got counterstruck while the other engaged Krav died to an attack. I held the last Krav in place with 2 Mezzos while two others finished off Raelin. Mezzos managed to finish off the Stalkers and Marcu.

Round 2
I.S.B.3 (Goblin Cutters x4, Major Q10, Zetacron, Eltahale (sit one))

I felt decently good about this matchup. I led with Zetacron and managed to kill a Stalker before dying. Eltahale came up next and she managed to kill multiple stalkers and put 4 wounds on Raelin. Meanwhile, Q10 died in 2 hits (might've been 3) to a Stalker that had made its way to my start zone. I triple disengaged with Eltahale to thunder ram 3 Krav outside of the aura (2 adjacent one not). It killed two of them but Eltahale died when I tried to Thunder Step and unsuccessfully the last Krav. I.S.B.3 then moved Raelin back behind Stalkers and I realized my mistake in leaving her alive. Even though I used my remaining 15 cutters to try and eliminate the Stalkers podded around Raelin, I would need really good dice and I did not get it only managing to kill about 2 or 3 Stalkers before I.S.B.3 finished me off. Excellently played by him. If I go for Raelin instead I'm not sure if I win but it is not the practical auto loss it is.

I'm not sure if I would go on to beat Cleon as it would depend on the map and Krav could easily assassinate Alastair. I'd feel decent against Nicktheant depending on the map. So could I have gone farther if I'd killed Raelin and pulled off the win? Not sure, but it's not impossible. Still making top 8 with my Deathstalker build and two consecutive Gencon Day 2s made me feel pretty good. We'll have to see if I can bring something else off the wall next year and do it again.

~Dysole, who has no idea how much of this she remembered correctly

Last edited by Dysole; August 15th, 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:38 AM

Apparently an Annual Event

I did play in an Oregon event so I really should have put that here but oh well, I can just keep doing this every year. 5 events this year. Flex, Bring 2, dok's Reverse Draft event, Cluster, and the Main. It was a VERY good year.

Flex

I initially wasn't going to enter the flex tourney but fomox said I could enter stupid late (I think I got in at like 12:30) so I decided to after wandering the con for a couple hours looking for puzzles (because I do the Puzzlehunt every year and have solved it the past two years including pretty much right at the buzzer this year). I built the army in 30 seconds from figures I literally threw into my box for funsies (well and one figure I considered using in main). Marrden Hounds x3, Minions x2, Sgt. Drake (RotV). It was a space over but all of my opponents didn't care. It was a kooky weird army and I liked how it played.

R1 vs Mr. Chompy on Remains of Clionesia (Romans x3, Marcus, Airborne Elite, Captain America)

Mr. Chompy is always an absolute delight to play against and I always look forward to a match against him. This one was decidedly not a good matchup for me but I felt that if I got some good dice and some good plagues I could have a shot. Unfortunately for me, Airborne dropped Round 1 and killed two Minions and a couple Hounds. I managed to start fighting back and even ran some Hounds down into the start zone but the Airborne had taken out enough that Cap was able to just shoot with impunity (and I kept losing figures to whiffs with 5 or 6 dice). I think the game ended with me killing a little over a squad of Romans and the AE and about 3 wounds on Cap. (Drake tried his best but Cap destroyed him)

R2 vs WOOKIE on Highways and Dieways (Thanos, Red x1, Black x7)

I didn't count the Wyrms but that fits points. Thanos came out running and I led with Minions. I lost probably about two Minions before Deadly Strike killed Thanos for the first time. Now well aware that blacks love Minions and that I would need those Minions when Thanos inevitably returned from the grave to murderate me, I decided to switch to Hounds and that's where my markers stayed. I kept blasting into his start zone. Once I killed the red I felt a lot better about their staying power. Thanos returned and got tied up by Hounds while other Hounds were busy giving unvaccinated baby dragons the plague. Thanos actually died to Hounds between 3 plague wounds and a 3 skull roll that he whiffed on. Still first win of Gencon.

R3 vs Major Minion? on Platypus (Taelord, Hydra, Zettians, 8K, Ornak)

He said that if he was on the forums that was the name he would use but I didn't check to see if that's an actual user. Anyway, I knew that the Hydra was the one thing I needed to be worried about. And then a Minion killed it in one hit. The game quickly spiraled out of control for him as there was too much to kill and Minions were doing a good job of killing all of it.

R4 vs Sir Dendrik on Elswin Plateau (Nilfheim, Mezzos x5, Marro Warriors)

I actually had never met him in person but we had done a lot of chatting on the Summoner Wars forums when Ranior suckered me into playing their version of CoN. I kinda knew this matchup was going to suck unless I got a lot of plagues. I managed to be pretty cloggy and kill a lot of exos but I basically hit the first two plagues and then none after that and he eventually broke through. Mezzos murderated everything.

Final record 2-2

Bring 2

After a Bring 2 event where I brought Glad/Blast to fight Quasatch and Raelin, I decided to try another idea with good army and army designed to be really good against it. I also really wanted to play Gorillas. I don't own any but dok was a kind soul and let me borrow his three squads since W099 was running with his Gorillas in 4x400. I decided on Gorillas x3, Nakitas, Marro Warriors vs. 10th x4, Marcus since 2 attack (3 with Marcus but you're letting gorillas beat you even faster to the high ground) is going to have a really tough time busting through auto shields and the 10th without Raelin die really hard to range.

R1 vs Mr. Chompy's son on Elswin Plateau (Hydra x2, Raelin, Moriko and Iron Golem x2, one of the ninjas and Kaemon?)

I don't remember his second army but I immediately knew I didn't want to play it against anything else in the pool. He deferred choice to me and I knew that if I grabbed 10th I could be facing Gorillas which did not appeal to me. However I also knew that Hydras were really good. I grabbed the Hydras and he grabbed 10th. I intended to rush up the hill and nom on lots of 10th but he ignored the hill and set up on the low ground. I was finally forced to come to him and murderated a lot of 10th but also ended up whiffing more than I should have (and also probably didn't make the best Hydra placements). It was a very clever move to set up there and I think it won him the game since fighting me for height would have caused him to lose.

R2 vs AnubianWolf88 on Zephyr (I literally do not remember his armies but I think one had Cyprien and the other had Anubians)

He won the diceoff and took the 10th. I responded with Gorillas. It was sad. He barely ever rolled more than 1 skull and I hit a lot of smoke powder. The game quickly became inevitable. I think he killed like 1 gorilla and a Nakita by the time it was done. I was now afraid I'd done my job of army trapping too well.

R3 vs Sir Dendrik on Remains of Clionesia (Gorillas x3, Sgt. Drake (SotM) and Stingers x4, SBN)

We both hilariously had the same idea. Nakitas are good but Drake literally can't be attacked from range so I felt that was the stronger army given that every army had range. He won the diceoff and took it. From the remaining armies, Stingers had the most defense, the highest attack, and a SBN. I took them. I lost plenty of Stingers in the early going but I was also killing plenty of Gorillas. I finally turned to SBN when we both had only a handful of units and SBN managed to kill Drake with a combination of first attack and better dice. 7 attack is good.

Final record 2-1

Reverse Draft

I decided to fiddle around with another army base I'd considered for the Main just to see how it played. Granites. I didn't like going more or less than x3 so I went Granites x3, 10th x2 figuring actual range would be a good idea.

R1 vs Mr. Chompy on Highways and Dieways (Blades x3, Grimnak, Ornak, Tornak)

I did not like the idea of having to fight Grimnak and we both knew his army which could just destroy expensive Granites was going to get bid down. His final bid dropped it to two squads. I took the opportunity. I set up basically making it painful to kill more than one granite per turn. Grimnak did a great job of killing more than one but due to my blocking it became very hard for any of the Blades to and attacks of 4 or 5 were very good. I finally managed to kill Grimnak with some wait then fire attack from my 10th who managed to clean up the rest of the army which couldn't kill them fast enough especially with having to wade through the remaining stragglers. It was pretty much during this game that I knew I would not be playing Granites the next day. I did joke with Mr. Chompy that since we always play twice during Gencon, this would be our last game.

R2 vs vegie's dad on Common Ground (Arrow Gruts x3, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Raelin)

Well 10th were going to be garbage this game. We bid down his army pretty far with him letting me take it at after dropping a squad of arrows and two swogs (although he did think we were playing online rules at first which are a little more complex and he may have adjusted his strategy). The granites began their assault but with Raelin in the middle on height and Arrows being fast I managed to have board control fairly early on. While I managed to blast through everything decently well with Arrows and then brought up Mimring who basically kited killing off Granites and 10th alike. It was fairly brutal. 10th were as predicted basically garbage. This game sealed that I would not be playing Granites the next day.

R3 vs Major Q23 on Zephyr (Drones x3, Raelin, Alastair, Mezzos x1, Rats x1)

Well this was an assortment of figures. I wasn't sure how I felt about only 3 squads of Drones or Alastair but I understood the army's basic logic. We eliminated the rats and then I felt comfortable fighting this. He rolled really low to start with and I was able to grab the move glyph which meant that I had a really good setup. He kept trying to punch through my dice but I managed to hold off. 10th came in and cleaned up everything while using the granites as blockers.

R4 vs I.S.B.3 on Zephyr (Rats x3, Granites x2, Kaemon)

I laughed pretty hard when I found out the two granite armies made it to the finals. dok asked if we minded finishing up the next day so people could go sleep. We agreed. I mulled it over in my brain over the next day and realized that all my army really had to worry about was Kaemon. If I could get enough 10th to kill Kaemon, it would be really hard for him to win. We finally bid down 5 rats and I was happy to play my army. He led with rats and I somehow beat him to the move glyph. I continued to move Granites up while Kaemon took pot shots. I decided to take the opportunity to move 10th up the side to grab the height and Kaemon continued taking pot shots. Once I had my 10th basically in place I started attacking rats in earnest with the Granites. 4 and 5 attack end up killing them pretty good and it wasn't easy to just move them so I couldn't keep hucking dice at them and I managed to kill pretty much all of them fairly quickly. Kaemon came within striking distance of 10th so I moved them down and managed to get two wounds. He came up and killed a couple 10th but then got wait then fired to death. My last 3 10th and my last 3 Granites on height managed to ward off the approaching granites and only two actually made it to engagement but died to beefy height attacks from my Granites.

Final record 4-0 and dice

Cluster

I played it in kevindola's Classic event. I liked playing rock paper scissors with pods and since I expected cheese and/or Marvel I needed better stuff. So I went with what I brought to Classic but changed the heroes. The PKs x2 pod got Kyntela Gwyn since Marcu made the pod too appetizing. The Stingers x2 pod got Eldgrim since Guilty was redundant and Eldgrim could be a good glyph grabber. The Ashra x2 pod got Sam Brown who was better PK tech than Zetacron.

R1 vs Kolton (no Scape username I'm aware of) on Platypus (Venom// Airborne Elite and Gwyn//Ashra x2, Arkmer)

I figured the AE pod was the only pod I really wanted in his bunch. I deferred after winning diceoff and he grabbed Venom. I knew I needed Stingers then and decided PKs were better than AE since PKs kind of countered both and who knew if Airborne would drop. He grabbed Airborne and I liked Sam Brown better than Arkmer and so went with that. Game started off simple enough. Eldgrim grabbed Valda. And then Stingers started killing Ashra and then Venom couldn't roll any Spider Vanishes and it quickly turned into a slaughter. Airborne never dropped although there were 8 move PKs ready.

R2 vs OrcElfArmyOne (Major Q10//PKs x2, Marcu//Eltahale)

PKs x4 would be really strong here. I deferred and he took Q10 so I had to take the PKs. He responded by grabbing the Ashra. I debated briefly taking Eltahale but realized multiple attacks from range would be better than Eltahale's special attack. Q10 led off and whiffed super quickly to a 3 skull roll from a PK. The game just went downhill from there. Q10 died not too long after and Stingers finished off the Ashra and Eltahale which left PKs for mopup duty.

R3 vs Major Q23 (Kozuke, Izumi//Eldgrim, Knights x1, Arkmer//Air Elementals x3, Zetacron)

With so many anti melee powers in the pool I reasoned Stingers were one of the best decisions. I also did not want the Air Elementals since it was going to be very hard to use them effectively with only one getting to move a turn. I deferred again to Q23 who took the Ashra. I grabbed the stingers and then debated long and hard on whether to grab PKs or the samurai. In the end I reasoned there were not many good cards in the pool for taking out Samurai without risking counterstrike so I took them. Q23 took PKs. I grabbed Knights as they were preferable to the Air pod. I led with Izumi and grabbed the move glyph but I watched as an Ashra killed one from height and I think Zetacron killed another. The remaining Ashra bundled up against Gwyn who had moved forward. I started bringing forth Stingers to try and kill all the things and he brought forward PKs. Stingers managed to kill a decent chunk and not entirely die to a bunch of PKs. I also managed to move up my knights and Kozuke who were able to clear out about a squad of PKs. They also managed to kill the Air Elemental who had moved forward. More trading back and forth (with Eldgrim dying and going on Kozuke) and round gets called right around the time I had my Kozuke murderate Zetacron. Q23 opts not to go for the last Kozuke and instead kills my last two stingers and my last knight. I do some quick math and realize my best shot is to kill Sam Brown. I charge my Kozuke down and put the last 3 wounds on Brown (he had taken a wound to Wannok earlier). Round is over and I have a single Kozuke, a single Izumi, and 1 life Arkmer (ashra was on Wannok so while he had 2 life he was going to have 1) while he has a squad of phantoms, 2 air elementals, a few Ashra and 1 life Kyntela. Due to full card scoring I win 210-200.

R4 vs infectedsloth on Wyrmwalk (Brutes x2//Blue x2, Black x2, Red x1//Finn Thorgrim)

Matthias told me it was mine to lose being the only 3-0 and if I lost, IS and I would diceoff for the dice. I knew I wanted nothing to do with Vikings but could reasonably take anything else. I deferred and he took Wyrms. I took Stingers and PKs. He responded by grabbing Brutes. Knowing that Brutes would suck against Ashra I responded by grabbing them. He took the Vikings. He led with the Vikings and I suicided a squad of PKs to go murder Wyrmlings (I killed none of them). Stingers managed to do quite well at killing things though and them and the remaining PKs managed to kill Wyrms and/or Brutes fairly efficiently. Ashra came out when I had only a handful of each left and managed to finish off the Brutes. Sam Brown killed the tied up Vikings.

Final record 4-0 and 2nd set of dice

Main Event

I felt less confident than in previous years. I had kind of thrown together my Online Prep army mostly to see how it played and it ended up doing fairly well. For the third year in a row, people who I spoke to about it at Gencon were leery of what I was going to play but I decided "Screw it. Let's run straight Blastatrons. Why the hell not?"

R1 vs AnubianWolf88 on Zephyr (Anubians x3, Cyprien, Sonya, Marcu, Isamu)

I joked before matchups were set that I probably needed some matchup help and...this happened. Cyprien. Against soulborgs. Well I created a wall of Blastatrons and managed to pick off the wolves as they kept engaging my guys (also he rolled like 2 1s for Unleashed Fury and the 20 when no one could get to me) It ended up being a pretty hardcore blowout as by the time Cyprien came out to play there were no good places for him to go. He got a wound from Chill Touch on Raelin and then got surrounded by metal bodies and I reenacted many scenes from Hellsing except the vampire didn't get up.

R2 vs William099 on Remains of Clionesia (Warforged x3, Raelin, Nakitas)

William099 is a buddy of mine from college and he loves him some warforged. While trying to figure out what to put in with Warforged and Raelin I suggested Nakitas as a good but not too good ranged unit. Getting to play with the army it was somehow a better suggestion than I realized as the army played really well. It just struggled in that it had several matchups where the game was really slanted one way or the other. Again the matchup worked out in my favor as I knew Blasts would have a really hard time killing Raelin backed Warforged. I set Raelin up on height and he did not which allowed Nakitas to kill her fairly quickly. (One of the biggest takeaways I got from the online tournament was that the Blastatron army falls apart quickly without Raelin) After that Blastatrons died pretty hard (and it didn't help that for the first couple turns he thought they were a squad of 3 and I didn't even notice). Krug came out and actually made it a match as I placed my Nakitas too close to the action but he wasn't able to finish off all the Warforged and then the Blasts had to try and kill Warforged. Right after I Tac Switched the last Blast I pointed out it was now literally impossible for me to lose with no Wannok and no way to get height on this Warforged.

R3 vs fomox on Platypus (Armocs x2, Venoc Warlord, Marro Warriors, Sudema, Isamu)

I'd never played fomox before this and he seemed like a cool dude (playing him confirmed this). The army was not supposed to be this good. I thought I had an easy win. (Although honestly looking at the army, if you clear out enough with Armocs, Marro Warriors can do a lot of damage) I set up Raelin and he decided to go after her with Armocs with a Move Glyph all the while completely uncertain if it was a good idea (it was) and after he killed her my blasts who had been shooting up into trees managed to fall pretty quickly. Krug made a game out of it and somehow managed to catch all the Marro Warriors (a pot shot from a blast had killed another) mostly because fomox kept miscounting. He then miscounted with Sudema and I had a 1 life Krug left against Isamu. I ran to the wound glyph and sat Krug on it and Isamu managed to put the last wound on him before the end of the round.

R4 vs Mr. Chompy on Platypus (Blades x3, Grimnak, Ornak, Tornak)

Well guess I got to play more than 2 games against him. I didn't like the Blades all that much since Blasts could fairly easily kill them. I would need to rely on heroes and slow rolling and hope I had enough left to kill Krug. And then Mr. Chompy played it completely unexpected. Krug led out and he actually managed to put 2 wounds on Tornak. I hopped Tornak up on height and got 4 wounds in and then Blades managed to bring Krug down pretty well. He managed to kill Tornak and 3 Blades before I finally brought down the troll. I was willing to make that trade. I then slow rolled my way in all the while Grimnak whiffing on easy blocks (I think he had 2 life at the end). Because Raelin was sitting in the start zone with the Blasts, I was able to set up outside the start zone with Blades blocking paths to the orc heroes and getting to roll 5 or so defense dice (height+tree+Grimnak) on the Blasts who kept coming up oftentimes outside of the aura. While my dice continued to suck and I lost several Blades I should not have, he just did not have the firepower to take down the orcs and I managed to finish off the Blasts and then chomped Raelin for the win.

R5 vs OrcElfArmyOne on Platypus (Blades x3, Grimnak, Nerak, Eltahale, Kyntela Gwyn)

I knew I had secured a diceoff for Day 2 as had OEAO. We set up and I started to move my Blasts up to create a pod for Blades. And then OEAO did something I didn't expect. He ran his Blades into my start zone and started wailing on unprotected Blasts. I thought it was a clever ploy although he lost a lot of Blades to attacks of 3 and 4 dice since I had a lot of engaged Blasts. I was all set to move Raelin down to provide cover and then I decide to go attack down on Nerak as his defense boost could prove annoyingly decisive. I manage to one shot him and the game is now looking really good for me. Grimnak comes down into the start zone and boosts some Blades to attack Krug. I manage to start killing Blades in response and then move into Raelin's aura which helps keep him alive. Grimnak attempts to chomp Raelin and fails and gets murderated by Kruggles. It ends up being Eltahale and Gwyn vs. Krug. I set up on height next to a Blast in Raelin's aura and tell OEAO I can play the waiting game since I'm up on points. He decides to go for an initiative switch and doesn't manage to kill Krug with 6 dice. Krug then murderates Eltahale.

4-1 Day 2 again with an army I wasn't sure about and that looks oddly crappy (it feels like it's becoming a theme with my Gencon main event armies)

Day 2

R1 vs Mr. Chompy on Platypus (Blades x3, Grimnak, Ornak, Tornak)

Everything is the same and I get twice as many games against Mr. Chompy. I start off the same as I did previously. He has OMs on both Krug and Blasts. I risk an OM 2 to go put some wounds on Krug fully expecting to again lose Tornak and some Blades but I feel good about my setup again if I can kill Krug early. However, his OMs are not on Krug and I manage to kill the troll before he gets to use another OM. This time I set up again outside the start zone but with Tornak in tow I'm able to be slightly more aggressive. After he dies, I end up with Grimnak and Ornak both on the heighted snow surrounded by Blades. Once he was down to less than a squad of Blasts I charged into the start zone with Grimnak and finished everything off.

R2 vs fomox on Remains of Clionesia (Armocs x2, Marro Warriors, Sudema, Isamu)

I had learned my lesson last time. Raelin had been made too vulnerable and because of that I lost too many blasts to effectively deal with the Marro. This map was much, much better for me. Both fomox and I fully expected it to be a massacre. It was. We continued to watch my dice just utterly fail to do anything for me. Between low attacks/him blocking everything and me seeming to be utterly incapable of rolling defense dice, I lose all my Blasts before I've killed all the Armocs despite having height this time and a really tough setup for them to get through and then Raelin dies super quick unlike the previous game where she lasted several turns. Mittens puts 4 wounds on Krug and Marro Warriors with unique glyph finish him off. It was a hilarious way to end Gencon. I'm not sure what I could've done that game to win that one. Sometimes, nothing works out your way. If I'm going to lose though, I want to lose to my favorite figure Sudema.

Had my dice not betrayed me, I liked my chances with dok's army against mine (favored matchup and I know how to play his army) and then I felt Blasts and Krug could beat IS's order marker mess. It would've been interesting. Oh well fun Gencon and easily my best. 17-5 and 2 sets of dice. It'll be hard to beat that in future years. Look forward to the next one.

~Dysole, who really likes using the word "murderated" if you can't tell

Last edited by Dysole; August 24th, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old August 24th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Dysole's Battle Reports

I hate to think what you do to people when the dice are hot for you.

Grats!!
Old August 24th, 2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I hate to think what you do to people when the dice are hot for you.

Grats!!
Thanks. I've had some games where dice went in my favor. This Gencon it was really just the one game against fomox where the dice were definitively bad.

~Dysole, who keeps not running into tornado at Gencon and she'd like to change that

Last edited by Dysole; August 26th, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old August 24th, 2017, 06:30 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Completely my fault this year.

I only got near the Heroscapers area once all Con.

I remember seeing The Orange Mailman from a distance and that was it.

I was going to enter the Magic tourney but I saw only 3 other players had tickets and my friend bought tickets to another event at the same time.

This year was really weird. I had to cancel my own games and thought I was going solo up until about three weeks before GC.

I will commit to being more sociable next year.

Look for the dude in the Tornado shirt.

Did the C3G Joker giveaway happen?
Old December 22nd, 2018, 01:19 AM

The Incredibly Late Battle Report

*checks watch*

5 months isn't tardy or anything is it?

Here's my Gencon Battle Reports. Some things are a bit fuzzy because well 5 months.

FLEX

Game 1 (Minionsx2, Warforged x3, Krug, Zeta) vs. Son of Chompie (Hydra x3, Iron Golem, Jotun) on Common Ground

I just grabbed some fun things and so did he. The game was an exercise in watching what happens when you single engage big heavy attackers. I also rolled really well on defense. If I remember right, Kruggles didn't really do anything this game but I ended the game with him and a single Warforged left.

W 1-0

Game 2 (4thx2, Templarx2, Raelin, Drake 2.0) vs. MrMigraine (Gladsx3, Spartacus, Crixus, Major Q10) on Ticalla Sunrise

I decided to give my main event idea a spin and a beefy melee squad seemed a good indicator of what could happen. Glads were a terrible matchup however and Crixus tanked a bunch of hits. Templar were basically paper and I put Raelin in a bad spot. While I got slaughtered this game, I learned some valuable things about the way the army played.

L 1-1

Game 3 (4thx2, Templarx2, Raelin, Drake) vs. vminer (Nilf, Greeniesx2, Cyprien, Sonya, Frosty, Isamu) on Burial Marsh

I love playing against vminer. He always makes the game an enjoyable experience regardless of result and this was another valuable game for information regarding the main event. I thought I was in trouble as Templars fell trying to take out units, but the 4th rallied and wait then fire ended up taking out Nilf and Cyprien and then finished off Frosty. I won with Drake and 5 4th standing. This game told me that Burial Marsh was not kind to double spacers, something which would be valuable later.

W 2-1

REVERSE DRAFT/THURSDAY NIGHT CLASSIC

Before the game, Son of Chompie was complaining about the order marker mess armies. I decided to oblige him and test out another idea for main event. I brought EOV, Nakitas, Drones x3, Eldgrim, and Heirloom

Game 1 vs. WOOKIE (DKsx3, Hawthorne, Dumutef, Cyprien, Sonya) on Common Ground

I took his army because Cyprien could wreck my hodgepodge really badly. WOOKIE dropped Cyprien and I let him have his army. Eldgrim died early and gave Nakitas a move boost. They and Heirloom stayed behind the Drone screen and DKs couldn't do much and did even less when Hawthorne betrayed WOOKIE halfway through. I lost Eldgrim and 6 drones.

W 1-0

Game 2 vs. viideosayg (Dwarvesx3, Darrak, ARkmer, Emirroon, Chardris) on Stygian Rift

I forgot how good dwarves could be and thought I had enough to take them down from range and so didn't even remove any from his army. Dwarves managed to kill a lot of my dudes, but I took out all of them in response and came very close to finishing him off, but Darrak proved to be very sturdy and survived with 1 life. Chardris had 3 life and Arkmer was unharmed, but the combination did enough against the hodgepodge.

L 1-1

Game 3 vs. Son of Chompie (Romansx2, Raelin, NGS, MDG, Roman Archersx2, Isamu) on Highways and Dieways

We went back and forth dropping Isamu and Archers before finally Son of Chompie let me have it with a single Archer (personally I think he was underestimating their capabilities). I was very aggressive this game getting Marcus and Ne-Gok-Sa engaged with a mess of Nakitas to keep them from killing my other dudes and risking several disengages to make it happen and minimizing the attacks Drones got on Romans that weren't rolling mountains of dice. Ne-Gok-Sa was super tanky and there were a few rounds of him and Heirloom exchanging blows of doing nothing before the Romans managed to help take him down. I won with a 2 life Ne-Gok-Sa (may have been one life), 3 Romans, and the single Archer.

W 2-1

C3G

I am an evil person and brought a very evil Baron Zemo build. If you don't follow C3G, lemme just break it down real quick. Zemo lets me take turns with any of the other figures in my army and also has a once a round "you lose a turn" X OM reveal. Red Skull has the Cosmic Cube which autowounds, moves, and takes away Order Markers and if he attacks someone I get to take another turn with someone else. Weather Wizard gives my team disengage while close to him and has a chance of keeping people from getting shot at. Purple Man can just straight up take control of heroes and they're mine as long as they're within a few spaces of him. Diablo just ends figures turns if they're within a few spaces of him. Punisher has a bunch of attacks per turn and some tech attacks.

Game 1 vs. William099 (Sinestro, Arkillo, Sinestro Corps Soldierx3) on Ticalla Sunrise

I swear every time I play him in a C3G event, everything breaks out poorly for me. My d20 rolls failed me and he rolled very well with his figures, managing to take out Skull and Zemo in only a couple of hits which meant that the rest of my figures really suffered and were never really able to mount an attack. Kudos to him for not letting me build up a pod as had he let me, I think the game would've gone very differently.

L 0-1

Game 2 Bye

1-1

Game 3 vs The Orange Mailman (Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Dr. Strange, Zero-G, Mass Master, Energizer, Lightspeed) on Remains of Clionesia

I really liked this army even if Strange didn't quite synergize but he is a very good figure. I managed to isolate Mr. Fantastic and taking him down hurt the army a lot. It still took longer than anticipated as he rolled really well but Skull managed to take him out and then Purple Man managed to take control of Strange, but then TOM did something really clever and used Zero-G to move Strange out of Purple Man's aura meaning that he once again controlled Strange. Unfortunately for him, Purple Man was really hot and managed to get Zero-G and Strange with his next two rolls. After Red Skull then walked over and started wailing on Invisible Woman to start getting free turns, the remaining Adventurers put up a valiant fight but it was just too hard to make everything work. Diablo and Zemo fell, but it was too little too late.

W 2-1

Also major thanks to Tornado for the use of the figures.

MAIN EVENT

I was waffling between Templarx2, 4thx2, Raelin, Eldgrim and Granitesx2, Nakitas, Heirloom, Raelin (potentially swapping Nakitas for Stingers), but ultimately, I just felt better about the Templar pairing as there was more that could go wrong for the Granites build.

Game 1 vs. Southwest Ninja (Sentinelsx2, Krav, Raelin, Atlaga) on Ticalla Sunrise

Krav were the exact last unit I wanted to see, but I felt if I could run around and bump off one or two of them it was doable. He built a little pod of dudes and so did I. I was very surprised he waited so long to move up Krav and my attempts to sneak a Templar around back were quickly quashed. I managed to kill all the Sentinels but I was strung really thin by this point and all I had left were some 4th and 4th lose that battle. He won with 2 Krav and a 3 life Atlaga

L 0-1

Game 2 vs. Mr. Chompie (Gorillinators x4, Nakitas, Otonashi) on Highways and Dieways

I thought I was a shoo in to win this match as my army was faster and there were no special attacks in my army. Alas, Mr. Chompie played it very well and managed to take out a couple Nakitas early and wait then fired me to death as I kept rolling just few enough shields to keep dying. He had Raelin, 3 4th, and Eldgrim at the end of the game.

L 0-2

Game 3 vs. Matt (Krav, AE, Mimring, Raelin, Marro Warriors) on Quasatch Playground

Going into this game, I thought I was going to drop if I lost another one as the experiment had gone poorly. They did mention a prize for worst record and that tempted me to stay in it, but I didn't like my chances based on armies. The game ended up being a bloodbath, but that was because my opponent I believe had only a few games under his belt and so spread out Order Markers incredibly far allowing Templars to decimate all the squads with minimal losses and putting quite a few wounds on Mimring. 4th finished everything off. 6 4th, Raelin, and Eldgrim made it through this one. I thought I could do it.

Game 4 vs. Scytale (Einar Imperiumx2, Raelin 2.0, Kiova) on Burial Marsh

I knew this could be an uphill battle as EI hate range and well 4th are really good range. I'd never actually played Scytale before this, but I knew he was a solid player. He baited me to pull me in. I obliged him and charged EI in. I'm not sure I ever played a game as risky as this one. So many moves were made that were basically "this had better work out". Next thing I know he was down less than a squad of 4th, and the other units are dying. I use Burial Marsh's troublesomeness for the Templar against them, but still 6 EI do not last long and I had to turn to the heroes. Whirlwind Assault was crucial for closing out the game. At the end of it, Scytale and I both agreed that was one of the best games of Scape either of us had played in a long time and it was my highlight of the Scape tourney.

W 2-2

Game 5 vs. Alexander (Cyprien, Sonya, Anubiansx1, Ornak, Iskra, Rechets, Marcu) on Quasatch Playground

I needed a win to have a chance at advancing. I got literally the best possible matchup I could've gotten. Non ranged melee Utgar. Christmas for Templar. This one went exactly as expected especially with Cyprien and Anubians rolling like utter garbage and dying to wait then fire and Rechets failing to do anything to Raelin.

W 3-2

I managed to make Day 2 from the random selection and at this point I told dok that everything else was gravy since I thought I was done after Game 2.

Game 6 vs. Major Q23 (Tarns, Dwarvesx2, Arkmer, Tandros Kreel, PKs x1, Darrak) on Burial Marsh

Once again I was playing against my army on the worst map for them in the pool. Q23 and I have very similar styles of army building, but I think I was more used to playing his type of hodgepodges than he was to mine and he even admitted as much after the game. He set up like Scytale had leading with the 4th. As I suspected he might do this I led with Tarn and PKs. PKs managed to kill several 4th and the Tarns helped whittle him down to a single squad (I may have actually managed to get it down to 3). Then I switched over to dwerrow and they were incredibly good against the hampered Templar and remaining 4th. I brought out Tandros Kreeloy Jenkins to finish off units and Arkmer sat in the back being pretty. All in all, it was a good game and Q23 recovered well, but we both agree leading with 4th was the big mistake he made in this game and it likely cost him the game.

W 4-2

Game 7 vs. Evantage (Marcus, 4thx2, Romansx2, Major Q10) on Ticalla Sunrise

I really didn't want this matchup, mostly because of Major Q10, but I quickly made a pod of Templar and Raelin on the large clump and he advanced 4th and Romans. I took advantage of this by using Templars and then later 4th to thin out as best I could. Raelin also took forever to die which helped me. By the time Q came out to play though, I was down to a handful of 4th. I managed to bring Q down to one life and then a failed kill against a 4th meant that it was engaged with my own 4th who could've fired down a killing shot on the robot. Unfortunately, Q waltzed over to Kelda and basically decided the game as he shot the remaining 4th and Eldgrim to death. (I thought about grabbing Kelda with Eldgrim earlier in the game, but there was no opportunity that didn't basically give him too much momentum)

It was another good Gencon and I won dice from a top 8 finish. If I'd managed to win, I think I had decent odds against the remaining field depending on who I played with what.

~Dysole, who promises she won't wait this long to post the battle reports next time
Old December 22nd, 2018, 06:32 AM

That was from memory? Wow.
Great read. I hope C3G returns but my guess is that the low turnout will spell doom.
I should have bought up the extra tickets.
Old December 7th, 2020, 12:12 AM

New Updates

Hello,

It's been a while since I've been here. (I was gonna do my 2019 Gencon Battle Reports but so many things happened and that fell by the wayside.)

However, I have started something new. I have been live streaming my Online Heroscape matches. (So far everything has been text but I have the setup to be able to do it with someone voice chatting with me)

My twitch channel is where I have been streaming all of them and will continue to announce game times in the Online Heroscape forums (I have also been doing so on discord; you can also follow me and it will auto update you when I'm playing Heroscape although I'll note that I will be streaming things other than Scape there)

If you'd prefer to watch them after the fact, they'll be viewable for 14 days after on Twitch but I'm also going to try to upload them to my Youtube channel 24-48 hours after I live stream it.

So far I have my 2nd through 4th rounds of the most recent online tournament up. I'm still working on improving my setup and making things as viewer friendly as possible. Feedback is greatly appreciated so I can continue to improve this and get more Scape that you can view. I intend to keep streaming my games as long as my opponents are fine with being streamed.

~Dysole, taking an opportunity where she sees it
Old August 5th, 2021, 10:49 PM

2019 Gencon

Only 2 years late. I have notes. Will be filled out later.

~Dysole, reserving space
Old August 5th, 2021, 10:49 PM

2021 Scapecon

Scapecon was a lot of fun. Let's dive right in.

VC Delta

Spoiler Alert!

Reverse Draft

Spoiler Alert!

Betrayal

Spoiler Alert!

Multiplayer Madness

Spoiler Alert!

Sideboards

Spoiler Alert!

Main

Spoiler Alert!

4x390

Spoiler Alert!

Bring 2, Strike 1

Spoiler Alert!

3 Headed Hydra

Spoiler Alert!

Final record: 19-8

Was a lot of fun. Look forward to more Scaping in the future.

~Dysole, who keeps improving her notes system each year.

Last edited by Dysole; August 16th, 2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old July 18th, 2022, 05:17 PM

Scapecon 2022

Okay gonna try and get this out while it's all still as fresh as possible.

Multiplayer Madness

After Vipers proved to leave me as the last player standing but poorly in actually placing well in the standings I went with Blades x3, Grimnak, Nerak figuring chomp plus cheap Blades would do well. This strategy would prove good.

R1 Vydar (Arrow Gruts x3, Swogs x2, Krug), Evantage (Krug, MBS, Rats x3)

Early game had MBS pinging Arrows and rats attacking them as well while I went after Vydar as well and everyone just kinda kept trading with Evan taking very minimal damage (mostly Vydar attacking rats and putting two wounds on MBS). There was one sequence where I had a 2/3 chance of going before Vydar to wall off Krug being able to attack Grimnak but Krug was able to turn the dinosaur into mincemeat. I managed to finish off MBS and Vydar's Krug and put a couple wounds on Evantage's Krug before Krug annihilated the rest of the army. I finished about 20 points behind Vydar.

2 points

R2 vegie (Stingers x3, Laglor), Major Q23 (Rats x3, Krav, Laglor), Chris Perkins (PKs x4, Isamu)

Hilariously after vegie and Q23 got called I was just like "I'm gonna be at this table aren't I?" and when Chris got called was like "oh I'm definitely going to be at this table". Nobody really wanted to face my build but vegie and Chris were the only ones who were nearby. Chris elected to go attacking Q23's stuff and he chose to respond in kind while vegie elected to throw a few early shots on Nerak (who I stupidly had in range of the start zone to do this). Thankfully he lived enough for me to set up a pod and quickly remove vegie's Stingers. After I had thinned out vegie with the help of Q23 I proceeded to run my way through Chris's PKs as Grimnak had many tasty Boo Berries before coming back and chomping a four life Laglor. At that point Q23 had his Krav and a few rats and Chris had Isamu while I had a couple Blades and Grimnak. I waited a touch too long to head after Q23 and he finished off Grimnak and took the victory.

4 points

R3 samuelfrost4 (Brunak, Deathwalker 7000, Wolves of Badru), Dragon Ruler (Hounds x3, Marcu), Deroche (4th Mass x3, Raelin)

I took a long time setting up a pod while Dragon Ruler went after Deroche and samuelfrost4 losing a lot of Hounds in the process. He sent one over my way which I killed. Once I was set up I made my way toward Deroche while I sent a single Blade over to the Brunak, Hounds, Deathwalker mess. Dragon Ruler had thrown like 8 attacks of 3 on 7K so far and I threw a single attack of 2, rolled 2 skulls, and 7K rolled one shield. This would set the tone for everything as my Blades proceeded to wipe through Deroche's army including Grimnak chomping a full life Raelin. I killed over 450 points this game. I'm not sure if it was the highest point total for a single game but it had to be up there.

8 points

R4 Phantom (Mezzodemons x2, Siege), Chris Perkins (PKs x4, Isamu), vegies dad (Arrow Gruts x3, Swog Rider x2, Krug)

Not much to say about this game. vegies dad baited me early with Arrow Gruts and I took the chance to kill some of his stuff but quickly became ganked by everyone and died early on. I took out a Mezzo, some Arrows, a Phantom, and some wounds on Krug before perishing but still finished last.

8 points

Quad Pod

I could've brought VC but after realizing my spider build was invalid for General Wars , this looked like the event for me to run Spiders and since I was expecting dragons in VCheese event that meant no Laglor there, so decided to run him here and everything built out from that.

Spiders x3, Wyvern
Laglor, Romans x2
Nakitas, Blades x2
Estivara, MBS, Ornak

Round 1 Majora's Incarnation (1: Finn, Knights, Macdirks 2: Jotun 3: Brave Arrow, Theracus, Mohicans, Vipers 4: Blastatrons x2, Gladiatrons) on Blackridge

It had been a minute since I randomly played MI during an internship while I was in Texas. I got opening picks and Gladblast looked to be strongest in the pool so I snagged that. MI followed it up by taking my spiders and his knights/macdirks. I grabbed Romans and Lags for Gladblast synergy and to give myself a screen. Early rounds started with him moving the knights while I moved up Romans to be in screening position and then began moving up the Gladblast build. Finn came in and started trying to do things and even killed a couple Glads but I ignored him and focused on the squads quickly dropping them down to a member a piece even using a Laglor development to snipe one. MI switched over to Spiders but my board setup was really good at this point and a couple heighted shots brought down the Wyvern and then I just mopped up after that.

1-0

R2 BodaciousBlood (1: Van Nessing, Specters of Aldorn x2 2: Deathreavers x2, Werewolf Lord 3: Sentinels of Grax, Marro Stingers x2 4: Concan, Phantom Knights x2) on Desolation

First time playing BB in person. I got opening pick and I grabbed Spiders x3, Wyvern figuring that was the strongest pod in the pool but I should have deferred pick. BB grabbed Stingers and PKs and that left me with Specters although I do think there's an argument for Romans. He opened setting up a PK pod while I went with Specters. His setup was good enough that I was able to get a few lucky hits in but it cost me four of my Specters. He then moved up the Grax and I brought out the spiders. A couple timely kills managed to thin out the PKs and kill a Grax while he was only able to kill a couple spiders in response. The Wyvern's ability to break up his pods and isolate figures came in quite handy. I managed to finish off the Grax and even get a free turn to go gum up the start zone stingers with spiders. Unfortunately I didn't really get that many kills and he managed to kill the Wyvern with the Stingers. I brought up Van Nessing and was ready to have him go nuts on the Stingers but BB won initiative, opted to drain, got it and murdered Van Nessing costing me the whole round. Thankfully, he wasn't able to capitalize by finishing me off and I managed to use Specters to thin him out. Last round was called though with him having two stingers and a PK and I only had one spider. On the last attack of the game I had two attacks up and if I killed any two I would win but I mistakenly thought I had to kill the PK and so wasted a 2 skull attack there. I killed the other stinger and lost just barely on points.

1-1

R3 Muskie (1: Marcu, PKs x3 2: Eldgrim, Heracles 3: Brute Gruts, Isamu, Major Q10 4: Rygarn, Dwarves x2) on Desolation

I won the diceoff again and PKs x3 was too appealing to pass up. He took Brute Gruts and Dwarves. I responded with Spiders as I liked the Wyvern the most for cracking the Q10 shell. I went all PKs in the early going and just got super hot dice from them as they kept rolling 2 or 3 skulls on everything including all the Brute Gruts before they even got an OM. I think I put a couple spider OMs at the end but by that point it was just mop up although he did nearly kill the Wyvern. PKs were just really good at getting where they needed to go on this map and the hot dice made it hard for Muskie to put up much of a defense.

2-1

VCheese

Nobody but me seems to want to play Microcorp Troopers so I will keep playing them. They love Raelin and Rats and I had enough points for Laglor or Hydra. As I expected to see more dragons/heavies Hydra it was. Isamu was filler.

R1 Viideosayg (Quahon, Spiders x5, Raelin, Marro Warriors, Isamu) on Percolator

I tried to do my best in the early going with Troopers and rats into Quahon but Quahon was just very hot and I was not so hot. I managed to get two wounds on her and killed a lot of spiders. I had a pretty decent set up using the ruin, a barely developed Raelin, and enough rats to hold out but so did he. It was basically impossible for me to avoid clumping up too much and he managed to get wounds on my stuff and even one on Hydra. Near the end of the game I swapped over to Hydra but he did a good job of using Spiders to keep it from getting to Quahon. We had last round called in the middle of my 3rd OM when I had already committed to attacks. Had I know it would be last round I would have moved my Hydra into a terrible position and taken my 3 attacks up to try for some wounds. As it was, he had killed more than I had but it was still anyone's game. In retrospect I do think this was one of the worse maps to have to face him on.

0-1

R2 heroscaper2010 (Arrow Gruts x5, Swog Rider, Raelin, Mimring, Marro Warriors, Marcu) on Percolator

I set up basically the same here but moved up Raelin up to the tree perch by the ruin as Mimring would have a harder time choosing targets than Quahon. He led Marro Warriors and grabbed unique attack glyph but Raelin defended like a champ and Troopers were able to gun down the MWs after they only did like 3 wounds to her. Mimring came up as did the Swog and tried to finish off Raelin but I managed to get some good attacks into both of them. After they both died, hs2010 conceded as I had about 10 troopers left and a full life Hydra all still protected by Raelin and he only had Arrow Gruts and Marcu left. It would've been an uphill battle for him.

1-1

R3 boromir96 (10thx4, Raelin, Eltahale, Raelin, Isamu) on Aeon

We actually played something like this matchup in the first VCheese tournament. Fortunately for me, this map was much better for me than Highways and Dieways. I set up Raelin on a 3 height perch and used rats to screen off the height and a number of the same level spaces and then I moved up Troopers. boromir set up Raelin more in the lower middle of the map but allowing her to cover the hill opposite where my Raelin set up. He also brought up Eltahale but only ever put the one order marker on her. Most turns were me and boromir just finding whatever good shots we could take and taking them. I killed a lot of 10th early but after that most of my wounds were on Eltahale (realizing that the game was likely to go to time I decided it was best to grab as many points as I could). I probably should have one or two more rat Order Markers just to make it harder for boromir to finish off as many Troopers as he did. By the time time was called in round I only had 2 left and the Hydra while he had most of the 10th left and it was enough points for him to win.

1-2

R4 MKPlusUltra (Dwarves x5, Mogrimm, Darrak) on Percolator

Ah Percolator again. I set up like I did with hs2010 but was a lot more liberal about my rat movements using them to attack dwarves that took glyphs or pushing them farther to the middle of the map. This made it very hard for him to do anything and his dwarf heroes took a lot of damage from the Heavy Weapon Special Attack. I think he conceded shortly after Darrak perished or time was called. Either way at the end of the game, he had only a handful of dwarves while I still had a lot of the army.

2-2

Shifting Alliances

Brutes x3 was a given. I originally had TBR and Dividers x2 because I thought it was 230 but it was in fact only 225 so I had to swap out a squad of dividers for Guilty and Isamu.

R1 w/infectedsloth against samuelfrost4 and Gingerkid on Bad Moon Rising

I don't even remember what armies they all had because samuelfrost's airborne turn 1 dropped took unique attack and prevented myself and IS from playing the game killing his Sonlen with all OMs and my brutes never got an attack in. I think one of IS's Tarns got to attack thanks to a lucky Berserker Charge but this game was over pretty much as soon as samuelfrost rolled back to back 20s for drop and init

0-1

R2 w/Earl of Sandwich against infectedsloth and HoundsRule on Wingspan

Again don't remember all the armies people had. I hadn't gotten a chance to really play with EoS before and he's a great guy. We pretty quickly settled in on my Brutes and his 4th as our armies because we liked them best against HR's Dwarves x2 and Darrak and IS's Spiders/Wyvern build. We set up a small pod near the start zone and he wait then fired anyone who approached while I used Brutes to pull 4th out of engagement and also run around thwacking anything that was going for glyphs and stuff. The strategy worked to perfection. It took us a bit of doing to finally kill the Wyvern but we were in control of the game for pretty much the whole time.

1-1

After that I dropped due to being tired.

Insanity of Battle

dok pointed out to me that Zelrig is one of the only bonding explosion specials and I hadn't played him in a tournament yet. This tickled me so Zelrig Greenscales x2 was in and then Warriors of Ashra x3 to finish off. The plan was basically to spend early placement turns clumping up my opponent's stuff and then they probably wouldn't have enough to finish off Ashra.

R1 Michaela (Sentinels of Jandar, Atlaga, Raelin, Concan, Sonya, Izumi Samurai) on Percolator

I managed to pretty early clump up all the squaddies but she placed Concan next to Sentinels making them a bit of a tougher nut to crack. I had Raelin in a far zone while she put Zelrig in a spot to try for an attack on him but I walled him off with my Ashra. Once the game started, she won initiative and was able to break the Sentinel pod. I did manage to get one of them eventually and spent most of the game having Greenscales pick off potentially troublesome units like Raelin or Atlaga (keeping Zelrig far away from him) while Zelrig was fooming units from a distance. The Izumi were a bit troublesome to kill but grabbing unique attack glyph and just hitting them with Zelrig's normal ended up being enough.

1-0

R2 infectedsloth (Dividers x6, Eltahale) on Blackridge

I messed up some placement here. I spent a turn clumping up dividers when I should have been placing Zelrig in a good spot because the map is a bit bigger than the rest of the pool. IS took advantage and placed him in a poor spot (I also put Eltahale in a poor spot) and also put my Ashra far away from Wannok expecting that to be a way he could win the endgame. He also won initiative allowing him to break up the clumps. I still managed to foom a lot with Zelrig dropping him down to maybe 3 squads before he finally took down Zelrig. I also made sure to kill Eltahale over a couple extra Dividers as she can just annihilate the Ashra in endgame. The best move I think I did all game was having a Greenscale and Zelrig walling her off, burning the greenscale with a Wannok wound and then having Isamu attack her with 5 dice hitting her for 3 wounds. By the time the endgame came around, he had killed a couple Ashra to blanks and I blanked a bit higher than average which when combined with a couple Wannok kills he got on them was just enough. Given that he only had 5 dividers left, if I win one of those early initiatives, I think I win this.

1-1

R3 Evantage (Heavies x4, Grimnak, Nerak, Swog Rider, Isamu) on Blackridge

I clumped his heavies again and wasn't too upset with the place he put Zelrig and threw Grimnak in a bad place but he put a number of Ashra over there for Grim to chomp on and he placed Nerak next to the clumped up Heavies. I mistakenly put OM 1 on Ashra giving Evantage 2 turns to get himself set up nicely. Everything fell apart for me as the dice did not bail me out at all. I did my best to salvage things but by the time he wiped me out he had 9 heavies left and both heroes were still alive.

1-2

R4 Tales of Valhalla (Zombies x6, Morsbane) on Blackridge

My game plan worked to perfection here. I managed to clump a ton of zombies together and block off Zelrig from being engaged by them. Winning initiative allowed me to just foom all over the place. He managed to Onslaught SA some Ashra but then I immediately foomed the new zombie to death. I also kept him out of range of Morsbane just in case. It didn't matter either way. I only lost the 3 Ashra in the 2 rounds it took to finish off the zombies.

2-2

Championship

Really only 3 builds were considered. The meme army of Dispatch Ahoy! of Sir Gilbert, Knights x1, Tarns, Omnicron Repulsors x3, James Murphy (drop a Repulsor), a build of WSG, Nagrubs x2, Raelin and Harqs x2 and what I went with which was Raelin, Marcu, Quasatch x2, Harqs x2. I was originally skeptical I could fit Quasatch in but once Grey Waves pointed out how many maps had jungle I decided to go for it especially when dok said he thought WSG was just too inconsistent. I debated a couple options for the ranged component but settled on Harqs as I expected a lower power level and I could bring the signed CVN card to Championship (I.S.B.3 tried to trade for it both this year and last year)

R1 Joecrazy3193 (Marro Warriors, Grok Riders, Ne-Gok-Sa, Drones x3) on Odin Wept

I felt decently good about the matchup with NGS and MWs the only things that concerned me. I didn't have a good can opener in the army and MWs are good so I needed a strategy or a little luck to get through them. Thankfully, there was a Wannok on the board and I decided that would be what I would focus on. I led Quasatch early and plopped Raelin down in a spot on low ground by Wannok that would be hard for the melee forces to get through my Quasatch wall. He got to move all 9 drones at the beginning but never got that many after that. My early attacks on the Groks were failing and I was starting to get worried. Thankfully Wannok popped a drone and then my Harqs started being able to use the height to kill Drones and Groks (one of which had reclaimed Wannok but Marcu ate that wound happily). NGS had engaged a Quasatch and Joe spent a number of OMs on solo NGS to try and kill it which I took advantage of to thin out his forces with Harqs and even throw a wound or two on him. By the time the MWs came into play they were only at half strength. A timely initiative allowed me to finish them off from height. He only had like a couple drones left and NGS. NGS moved to low ground to sit on shadow next to Raelin and attack up at the Quasatch. Thankfully it held up and he only rolled a 2 on the mindshackle attempt. I had enough left to crack through NGS in that position as attacks of 3 and 4 will get through 6 and 7 defense eventually. I won with a couple Quasatch, a squad of Harqs, Raelin and Marcu left.

1-0

R2 Vydar_XLIII (Kozuke Samurai, Raelin, Marcu, Mezzodemons, PKs, Omnicron Repulsors x2) on Desolation

We both had Marcu and I saw the move glyph. Realizing how good that would be for Vydar's army I set it up. Marcu Turn 1 was met with Harqs shooting at him but not killing him. PKs hitting Vydar from my start zone with 8 move flying was not something he expected though and that allowed me to put him on the back foot a bit. He continued to split OMs between Quasatch and Harqs while I moved up Mezzos and Kozuke. I managed to smack down a lot of Quasatch with 5 attack dice from Mezzos and Kozuke. I figured once they were dead Repulsors could handle the Harqs especially since I had taken out a couple with the PKs and Mezzos. He did get some good kills on them (including a 1 skull attack by a Quasatch onto a 5 defense Kozuke that whiffed) which kept him in the game and with Marcu dead Wannok was in play. Thankfully I had enough Repulsors left to finish him off and got a light of mileage out of the pings to kill Raelin and the remaining Harqs. Marcu came forward to make an attempt to pull him back in but the Repulsors were still too much especially with Raelin still backing them up. I won with 4 of them, Rae, and a PK.

2-0

R3 boromir96 (Blastsx2, Glads, Raelin, PKs, Shotgun) on Desolation

I thought this would be an easy win with Techno-Hatred and would just have to get some lucky PK kills. Unfortunately for me, Techno Hatred ran very cold and boromir managed to kill Raelin in only a few turns which made it much easier to pick off the rest of the build. I could have been more conservative with my Raelin placement but then with the range advantage he just sits back and plinks away daring me to come attack him out of my own aura and so I felt it was better to put Raelin in a heighted location that would allow me to send my Quasatch in to go attack him while still being in the aura. I knew my army would struggle to crack anything with high defense but it got no breaks here. He only lost 3 Glads and 2 Blasts by the time he annihilated my army.

2-1

R4 Muskie (Horned Skull Brutes x4, Kaemon Awa) on Bad Moon Rising

I was very happy to be handed this matchup and this map. BMR is a hard map for my army with no trees and its relative flatness makes it hard for the Harqs to get height shots. And then everything in his army had 4 defense so I felt I would need dice to hate me pretty badly for me to lose this. Fortunately for Muskie, Raelin decided she wanted to stay alive for a long time in this game. Unfortunately for him, she was really the only one who felt this way. I used up about half the brutes thinning out his early Harq wave and the subsequent Quasatch wave. Kaemon showed up after that and after grabbing the height in the middle just finished him off

3-1

R5 Cleon (Tor-Kul-Na, Nagrubs, Rats x2, Arkmer, Theracus) on Desolation

Did not like this matchup but at least it was one of the best maps in the pool for me. I set up Raelin on the perch by the Hive like I had against Vydar and moved up Quasatch to take care of the early rat menace. I wasn't that successful and TKN eventually came out to play. I wasn't able to do a ton of damage to him but did kill a Nagrub and with the move glyph he, the rats, and a nagrub came into my start zone to start stomping on the Harqs out of Raelin's aura. I countered with a move into his start zone and finished off the hiding Nagrub and Arkmer. Theracus took two wounds from Wannok. Rats tied up the other set of Harqs in the start zone while TKN made his way over. I had been hoping to wait then fire the marro but instead had to settle for trying to clear out as many rats as I could. Two things then swung the game back in my favor. His rat had reclaimed Wannok and rolled a 1 and he had scattered another rat away leaving a spot for a heighted attack on TKN. I sent over a Quasatch and did 3 wounds leaving him with only 2 life. I moved on to my next set of attacks forgetting about the rat next to that Quasatch but it worked out as that rat made it harder for TKN to move to where he wanted. I managed to reclaim the move glyph and finish off Theracus. TKN having finished off all but the Quasatch on Valda moved over to attack Raelin but thankfully for me I had an Order Marker on her and was able to hit him with 4 dice to deal another wound. The next round he did more damage to Raelin knocking her to 2 wounds and I had a 9 move Marcu able to come in and smack him for the last wound. Cleon conceded having only a rat left.

4-1

infectesloth (Arrow Gruts x4, Swog Rider x3, Raelin, Ice Troll Berserker) on Percolator

This was like the perfect map for me to get this. I once again set Raelin up on the height 3 tree spot and then was able to just set up a Swog/AG pod and kill the first wave pretty easily. Once he dispatched the Swogs I had the last one more protected and had Ice Troll as the guardian of the bridge. We fell into a pattern of him moving up Quasatch to break up the line and the Troll thwacking them dead even with Raelin's aura while Arrows shot down at Harqs or Quasatch whichever was the easier target. Once he ran out of Quasatch I had the Troll run up and kill Raelin and then later Marcu.

5-1

Day 2

R1 Evantage (Laglor, Blastatrons x2, Sacred Band x2, Parmenio) on Bad Moon Rising

I got the map but this matchup was easily one of the worst for me as it had even fewer ways to crack defense than mine. I led all Sacred Band which I think surprised him as he set up with Raelin on the road and a split of Harqs and Quasatch protecting her. I managed to get some pretty good board control in the middle of the board with Parmenio on the height and the Band on the shadow. I made a mistake and thought I would need Laglor to kill Raelin but I should have just pressed my board control with the Band. Laglor killed a couple Harqs but I also put him in a place I did not realize would be a bad spot. When Quasatch came barreling in to break up the little defensive group I had in the middle of the map, Laglor was sitting on a place that prevented me from getting height on the Quasatch and so I instead had to try for 3 v 6s instead of 4 v 6s. He also whiffed a lot of 1 skull attacks which meant he wasn't even tanking just dying slowly enough to be useless in any late game sense. Once he finished the Band and Lagor off, I had placed Parmenio engaged to the remaining three Quasatches to keep him from the Blastatrons. They managed to kill Raelin and a Harq dropping him to 2, but a disengage from one of them (which failed) and Parmenio going from 4 life to 0 in one turn meant he could use the Quasatch to finish me off. He only had the 2 Quasatch and 2 Harqs and Marcu left at the end so I think if I had instead gone with the Band instead of the 2 Laglor OMs, late game against the Harqs and Marcu is with Laglor and Blasts which is very winnable.

Eliminated 5-2

Speedscape

I got handed Vydar's armies with almost no idea of what they were as they needed me to fill in. These are gonna be quick (going with the theme)

R1 Phantom (Spiders x3, Estivara on Wingspan

I had 10th x2, MBS. In a single round I killed 5 spiders and had claimed the height. Phantom conceded having only killed a single 10th.

R2 vegietarian (Stingers x3, Marcu) on Odin Wept

I had Blades x2, Grimnak. Grimnak died in a single turn to Stingers the first time they attacked him and the Blades only managed to kill 2 Stingers in response.

R3 Chris Perkins (Stingers x3, Marcu) on Aeon

This game looked like it would play out like the other but a few timely switches and me charging Darrak across the map turned things around. The final showdown was a couple dwarves and Darrak in Chris's start zone and after he finished off Darrak he went to Marcu who back to back betrayed him allowing me enough breathing room to finish him off and win with a single dwarf at the end.

2-1 total

Three Headed Hydra

dok's Misplaced Priorities (name courtesy of Deroche an improvement over my own "dok wishes he was on this team") was myself, Chris Perkins, and Evantage. We settled on Cutters x4, Charos (Chris); Zombies x5, Laglor (Evantage); and Hounds x3, Red Wyrm x4, White Wyrm x1 (me) as the builds as we felt those were the strongest cores. Zombies and Hounds builds were both done with an eye at the mirrors and bad matchups.

R1 Team SirCleoBlood

I played Bodacious Blood (Kato Katsuro, Ashigaru Harqs x2, Ashigaru Yari x2) on Blackridge. We sent Zombies after their Cutters and Jotun build and Cutters against their Hounds build.

I thought about leading Wyrmlings but I was worried they would be picked off too easily. I led with Hounds and poor defense caused some of them to fall early but I manged to grab some steam and focused on the Harqs dropping him down to a squad (and I think 6 Yari). By that time he had knocked me down to a squad of Hounds myself. I switched over to Reds when he wasn't expecting him and managed to drop him down to 2 Harqs and killed the remainder the next round. He only managed to kill a single red and 2 more hounds as the Wyrms danced around the map finishing off Ashigaru and eventually Kato.

Evantage beat the cutters quite easily giving us the win.

1-0

R2 SirEarthMuskie

I played Muskie (Warforged x4, Atlaga) on Percolator while Evantage had the zombie mirror and Chris played into Hounds again since the Hound mirror was banned.

This game can really be summed as me just having a very hot plague die and killing a lot of warforged that by the time I brought out the Wyrms, he only had a squad left and Atlaga had 2 wounds. Atlaga managed to bolt a Hound (who should have stayed on Wannok but I got greedy) but eventually both he and the last set of Warforged died to Wyrm attacks.

Evantage lost the mirror but Chris managed to beast it out with Charos.

2-0

R3 0-2 Drop

I played Dragon Ruler (Sacred Band x3, Parmenio, Heirloom, Red Wyrm x3) on Odin Wept. They nixed the Hounds mirror so Chris played into Hounds again and Evantage played into Arrows.

I led Wyrms this time figuring I wanted to thin out the Band first. Given that he barely advanced out of his start zone, this ended up being a good strategy. I managed to pick off a couple Band and take Wannok with my White Wyrm. Unfortunately, there was a turn I misplayed things badly and removed a Band that could get to a Red Wyrm but missed the one who could get a height attack on my White Wyrm. It died as did another Red leaving me with a Red in a bad spot and one in my start zone. I switched over completely to Hounds. Thankfully Dragon Ruler gave me a few openings to swing things back to me. He thought he had blocked off locations only for my hounds to sneak on in. I did lose my Reds (one to an attack and another to Wannok), but the Hounds made up for it including one turn where I dropped him from a squad and Parmesan to a single Band. Heirloom did his best after everything else had fallen and he killed 3 hounds but plague, attacks, and Wannok finished him off leaving me with a single hound alive.

Evantage lost but Chris managed another win against Hounds

3-0

R4 P-Town

I played vegietarian (TKN, Nagrubs x3, Syvarris, Otonashi) on Blackridge. It's arguable we should have banned either Zombies into Hounds or Cutters into Arrows but we instead banned Hounds into Arrows (which isn't a great matchup for me). As is we got both of those matchups with me getting Stompy.

vegie led Syvarris and I led Hounds and got 2 4 moves out of the gate allowing Syvarris to pick off a whole squad before I could do anything. My primary focus was on Syvarris and the Nagrubs although I still attempted plagues on TKN. I managed to put 3 wounds on Syvarris after he went to the start zone and Hounds managed to kill a good number of Nagrubs even as TKN began dismantling them. Once I dropped below a squad I switched over to Reds. The Wyrms managed to sneak some wounds in but I also stole an Order Marker killing a Nagrub and Syvarris with the White. There was one move where I thought my red was safe from TKN without an LEA but he wasn't (although vegie informed me he would have taken the LEA to get at the Red but it would have been an even attack instead of a heighted one). Still I managed to do enough wounds with height attacks and SAs to finish him off with 2 Reds left. Last Hound grabbed Wannok finishing off Otonashi.

4-0

Unfortunately, my teammates lost but still it was a good way to finish out Scapecon.

Final Scapecon Record 18-9

Had a good time. Catch y'all at the next one.

~Dysole, figuring what better way to kill time in the airport

Last edited by Dysole; July 21st, 2022 at 05:07 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports