Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old November 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Re: Central Arkansas Mid-Winter Event

I am all for everything that has been discussed.
Will we do an introduction/demo section at the beginning?

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM

Ponder the Random is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I'm not a big tournament goer and I'll probably be out of town after Christmas but here's some thoughts.

What are you trying to accomplish with this event? Attract new players? Attract out-of-town scapers? Just have a big event? If you settle on that it'll tell you a lot about what prizes and sort of event you should have.

If you're really wanting to attract new players to a competitive tournament scene, you need to have regular events. Otherwise, they have no place to develop their armies and playing skill. Once in a while at revdyer's house won't attract people like a weekly or monthly event at a FLGS.

If you want a prize table (which I think is a cool idea) you might offer an alternative of a $10 entry which would convert into a prize of a $10 gift certificate to the store. That would benefit the store and could attract people who just want to try it out. You could also let new players have first choice of prizes.

It could also help new players to have pre-built armies for them to borrow. Showing up with some random stuff and playing against tournament caliber armies isn't a lot of fun. Sampling the potential of a well constructed army would be more fun and give people a better idea of the possibilities of the game.

Joseph
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM

In my opinion, the main purpose is to attract new players, not to the competitive scene but simply to the game, and at the same time for us to have fun. It is also a try to see how the FLGS plays its role in our community. It is the first time, so I think we need to see how it goes before we can talk about regular events.

If we decide to include new players in the event, we will of course create army for them to choose. If they already know the game and bring their own army, that's fine. I am pretty sure all of these will be discussed when we settle with the type of event and how to proceed it. For example, I think an army that has no bonding, not more than 2 common squad (could be 3 in some cases) with easy special powers is a good place to start.

For the first time, especially for new players, a $10 entry fee is not a good idea. No matter how good the game looks, if I have no idea what it is, I will not spend $10 just to try it out. If they become more serious later, there are always serious tournaments that they will have to pay to play. Not the first time they try, though.

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Arido Krylor is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
If we decide to include new players in the event, we will of course create army for them to choose. If they already know the game and bring their own army, that's fine. I am pretty sure all of these will be discussed when we settle with the type of event and how to proceed it. For example, I think an army that has no bonding, not more than 2 common squad (could be 3 in some cases) with easy special powers is a good place to start.

For the first time, especially for new players, a $10 entry fee is not a good idea. No matter how good the game looks, if I have no idea what it is, I will not spend $10 just to try it out. If they become more serious later, there are always serious tournaments that they will have to pay to play. Not the first time they try, though.

I agree with LongHeroscaper, People just starting out will have a hard time grasping when to roll extra dice, and how to count movement. I think that they should use simple armies that can be used easily, and that have easy cards to read (I don't think that they can interpret some of the cards when many of the veterans have questions about certain abilities).

I really don't think an entry fee is a good idea because it would deter some people away instead of enticing them; however, if it is a free event with possible prizes, more people would come out just to see what Heroscape is all about.

What do you mean I cost too much???

Good Traders:
nyys, LongHeroscaper, Einar Gen., EternalThanos86, Nikkomon, s_l_i_m_e_r and Verbal
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Perhaps what we need to do is to think about holding a series of, say, monthly gatherings for two or three months, leading up to a tournament in the Spring.
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM

WannaBScaper is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Perhaps what we need to do is to think about holding a series of, say, monthly gatherings for two or three months, leading up to a tournament in the Spring.
I do think this is a better long term solution. It will give players a few opportunities to play test a few army builds, before potentially investing into the game.

The owner of Game Zone Alpha wants us gamers to know that he is serious in supporting Heroscape. I have talked with him on several occasions in what I would personally like to see him invest in. He is wanting to assist in supporting as many events as we can plan. He even suggested that he would purchase in-store terrain sets to use in the events.

I would appreciate a consensus on what we should suggest to him for our events.

Who is taking the lead on organizing this event?
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I'm excited about getting something going on a regular basis at Game Zone Alpha, too. Unfortunately, between now and Easter, my extra energy and time are pretty limited, especially for weekend things (which I take is when most other people are available to play, most of the time).
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:36 AM

I think for the first 2-3 times, we can do it every two weeks, then every month after that. We don't want the new players excitement to fade away after their first game because they have to wait for another month to play again. However, I am also happy with once every month from the get-go. Either way is fine with me.
WannaBScaper, can you take the position to be the organizer and the connection point for us and Game Zone Alpha? I'll be happy to help, but we at least need one person to contact GZA, and I think you are already doing it .

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:22 AM

I would be more than happy to be the contact between us and GZA. I have only played in one organized event, so I am not sure if I would be the best choice to plan the entire event. I can assist or lead if needed, but would need lots of support from all of you.

Basically what I would need at this point is for us to pick a date to have the event. I know Rev said that he cant do weekends. It doesn't have to be on a weekend, but most players play then.

The 27th of December is the first weekend after Christmas, but its only 2 days following. Probably not a good time. The 20th is the Saturday before. Otherwise during the week following Christmas on either 29,30, or the 31st, which is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday respectively.

Just let me know.

I also have a baby due anytime around then, so I may not be available to play.
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBScaper View Post
I know Rev said that he cant do weekends.
I can do the occasional Saturday as long as I'm able to get to our 5:30 p.m. worship service. I just can't do too many of them.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Any thoughts on what date for the event?
I would like to have a basis to start negotiations..

On a side note... Game Zone Alpha said they will have Wave 2 within the next week.
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM

I am pretty flexible. December 27th sounds good for me.

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events