Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old November 26th, 2021, 12:47 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: [AotV] Pre-Brainstorming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
I recently read an interesting article about a new idea that dark matter could be capable of converting ordinary matter into more dark matter. This could be a cool angle for either of the Black squads: it adds more sci-fi themes to a fantasy-heavy set, mirrors Ozuul's "astrophysical phenomenon monster" design direction, and gives a nod to the Zombie species said squads' figures had in the proper AotP game. Just say add an invisibility power to hint that the unit is black (or dark) because light doesn't properly interact with it, and you're set.
I like this! Maybe something like figures targetting them must subtract one from their range?
That would be very cool! Range reduction is simple enough to fit believably into a master set, and the ability to force long-ranged units to advance even slightly could be valuable. Honestly, I'm surprised that no existing power occupies that design space.

I will say, though, that there's a part of me that would want to just give them no visible hit zones as a heavy-handed lesson on the importance of checking line of sight. It could be nice as a parallel to Sgt. Drake in RotV, too.
Old March 26th, 2022, 07:55 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: [AotV] Pre-Brainstorming Thread

Just bought AoTP & 1 Expansion, excited to participate in this project.

One general thought for design: Every Unique Squad in both classicscape and C3V has at least one of the following attributes:
1) A survivability power (all but 3-5 unique squads - depending on how you evaluate Izumi & Tagawa's counterstrike ability)
2) A low cost that can work as filler (3 squads: Tarn, Izumi, Brute Gruts)
3) Incredible shark abilities that need to be nerfed (by being a unique squad: Kozuke, Tagawa)

The reason for this is that Unique Squads are notoriously easy to cripple. As soon as you kill 1-2 figures, the squad is pretty much done for without a power like this. Here's the full list:

Tarn Vikings: Low cost (50pts), 4 defense (meh survivability)
Airborne: The Drop (survivability - instantly gain height) + 8 range (also survivabillity)
Izumi: 5 defense & counterstrike (survivability), low cost (65pts)
Kozuke: Shark ability (8 move + 5 attack) nerfed bc they are a unique squad
Tagawa: 5 defense & counterstrike (survivability), shark ability (able to get to 6 attack) nerfed as a unique squad
NotNW: Disappearing Ninja (survivability)
Elite Onyx: Evasive 8 (survivability)
Krav Maga: Stealth Dodge (survivability)
Nakita: Smoke Bomb (survivability)
Zettian Guards: 7 defense (survivability)
Marro Warriors: Water Clone (survivability)

C3V
B-11: To the last man (survivability, in a new way - remaining figures get more powerful as figures die)
Varkaanens: Wolf Pack (survivability, in a new way - Varks never lose activations bc multiple squads activate equal to the number of destroyed figures)
Vulcanmechs: Redundant Systems (survivability)
Brute Gruts: Low Cost (65pts), Sharkiness (Beserk), 4 defense (meh survivability)
Sentinels of Grax: Quantum Reconstruction, 6 Defense (survivability)
Morgans Riflemen: Hit & Run (survivability/ kiting)

Conclusion: if AotV is going to use lots of unique squads design teams should focus on ensuring they all get a survivability power (or a powerful shark ability). Otherwise, as soon as a new player expands their collection beyond the AotV master set, all their units will become obsolete.

I'm very new to this project, but I did notice some units whose current designs provide none of these abilities, the Velnesh Alphas being one of the most obvious culprits. It sounds like in testing they keep dying early, which is to be expected as a unique melee squad with only 4 defense & without a survivability power. I think this design principle (that unique squads almost always require a survivability power) would go a long way in helping the design pods.

Last edited by Knox; March 26th, 2022 at 08:13 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs