Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old July 15th, 2016, 01:08 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: 600 Point Competitive Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
"""matchup roulette"""
#needsmorequotes

Seriously, though, I agree with your point. People are completely free to set the goals that make sense for themselves, and I don't think it's necessary to judge them for it. Many good players have gone multiple years without making day 2, and if they want to turn the dial up on their builds, that's their decision and I don't begrudge it. If someone wants to bring an OP combo like 10th, Raelin, and Marro Warriors, that's fine.

(I do think that a format that has such odd incentives is a problem, and there are many better alternatives for a championship format, but that's a subject for another thread. I do appreciate that they're taking away the prizes for making day 2 this year to attempt to disincentivize cheesing it on day 1.)
Old July 15th, 2016, 01:09 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Honest Assessment

Ashigaru OP vegie. Whatcha talking about?

I went 4-1 (and actually nearly won against Charos, scales, and Skahen had black Wyrms done anything other than die). Game 3 was against the grok army so that was like the perfect matchup for me but Eltahale also did a lot of work (she pretty much won me my game against Jexik).

I think I could've gotten farther on day 2 had I not pulled one of the worst armies/maps for me. (Blades on sidewinder which loves having range fight melee) Still came decently close.

We'll see if I can repeat with some off the wall stuff I'm considering this year.

~Dysole, Jenny at heart
Old July 15th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Good luck Dysole.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 15th, 2016, 03:22 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Smile Re: 600 Point Competitive Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Id rather go 2-3 day 1, and tried to get in with a subpar army for success at Day 2. I don't think making Day 2 is an accomplishment in RTW.
Not all of us are so skilled as you. I've participated in about 6-7 GenCon Main Events and only once made it to day two. So for me it would be an accomplishment much greater than what I usually manage to achieve.

Also I think it's weird that you refer to being among the best 16 out of 64 as winning a participation trophy. Since when is top 25% equal to just showing up?

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old July 15th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
Not all of us are so skilled as you. I've participated in about 6-7 GenCon Main Events and only once made it to day two. So for me it would be an accomplishment much greater than what I usually manage to achieve
In 08 we should have both made it if it wasn't for that tie jank.

This year I'm not gonna run a top tier army like last year. I was expecting more higher tier armies to be making up day 2 than there were (not a ton, but still more), but it's pretty clear that there's very few being played each year, or at least by good-to-great players. Still, was fortunate enough to make top 8.

Right now I have 4ish armies I'm thinking about, one I like very much. Still pending on how the glyph pool is gonna turn out.

RtW Day 2 entirely depends on how many people run high tier armies. If 30 people are bringing amazing builds, then there goes the tactic of making Day 2 with a 'weak' army. But if only 5 people are running killer armies, then the tactic is not only much more doable, but is significantly favored. It's completely dependent on the overall power of the field. But, knowing the community and recent years' results, it's safe to say that not many are busting out top tier builds, probably even <5 at this time.

RtW can bring some interesting spins on the game, but I would like to see another alternative for next year. Like Take 2 or something.

(or allowing C3V )
Old July 18th, 2016, 09:37 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Taelord FTW in RTW!
Seriously with 600 point 18 figure limit, he's boss and I don't even care if I win all the way, I think he will be fun, especially in "swarm" armies. For the competitive side of things, if you have Raelin and/or a few other cards that would need really good order management, in RTW rounds I think I could beat a good (but not great) player using that army. So here are some of my ideas for armies in Gencon. Let me know which is too powerful, which is too weak, and which is too fun that who gives a cr@p if it is a winning or loosing army that you would just like to see me bring:

ID4 [Lefton4ya]: Drones x 05, Taelord, SuBakNa: 17f-18h-590
WWZ [Lefton4ya]: Zombies x 05, Taelord, Raelin2: 17f-17h-600
Knights++ [Lefton4ya]: KoW x 03, KMA, Taelord, Thorgrim, Eldgrim: 18f-18h-600
Minions++ [Lefton4ya]: Minions x 03, Atlaga, Taelord: 11f-11h-600
Hunters+ [Lefton4ya]: Quasatch x 04, Taelord, Marcu: 14f-14h-600
Ashigaru++ [Lefton4ya]: Harq x 02, Yari x 02, Kato, Taelord, Marcu: 19f-19h-600
Old July 18th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Taelord is way underrated, definitely viable at 600. If anything the strongest Taelord armies are too good at a total this high. I really like Krav, Taelord, Raelin, Zombies x5, but it's way too good.
Old July 19th, 2016, 12:22 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Taelord is way underrated, definitely viable at 600. If anything the strongest Taelord armies are too good at a total this high. I really like Krav, Taelord, Raelin, Zombies x5, but it's way too good.
I guess @ManTrainChooChoo is coaching you on how to hit point totals...
Old July 20th, 2016, 09:13 PM

raXas1516 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Taelord is way underrated, definitely viable at 600. If anything the strongest Taelord armies are too good at a total this high. I really like Krav, Taelord, Raelin, Zombies x4, but it's way too good.
I know Dok already said it, but I just had to
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:49 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I am seriously debating bringing Zombies x 05, Taelord & Raelin2. With no range support it kinda does bad against range heavy armies but will smoke most melee armies at least in the hand of an experienced player. My hope would be to go 3-2 and then be able to beat it with the armies that dok & spider_poison bring, and then just concede to the Schaub brothers
However the ID4 drone army would also be fun and the Ashigaru++ army has just the right about of difficulty, only I am not sure I would be good enough with them.
Old July 26th, 2016, 02:45 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Darn it, I was getting set to create a Taelord army (probably with Aubriens) but now everyone here is hyping him up. I guess I'll have to bring something else.

Dünd is an old favorite but then again my MacDirks are looking pretty lonely and neglected.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old July 26th, 2016, 03:55 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Eh

I tried MacDirks in the prep event. It wasn't bad but I don't feel confident about it.

~Dysole, who lost her games

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion