Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old May 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM

boogle has disabled reputation
some do's and dont's for making a marvelscape/heroscape map

In my many excursions into the vast unknown that is heroscape, I have come across many dilemmas while trying to make a game board for an interchangeable marvelscape/heroscape match. Though, I have yet to come close to perfecting a board for interchangeable marvelscape/heroscape matchups, I have come across aspects to avoid when making a map for both of the diverse forms of heroscape. I normally play with two other people, and sometimes on off days I can get one more companion to play. Since it is already somewhat difficult to make a three man board as opposed to a four person board, for pity sake let us say we are building either a 1 on 1 board or a 2 on 2 board. A few things I avoid in an interchangeable game of marvelscape/heroscape are:

Tall, uneasy to get on top of castles- I attempt to make a game where no figure is at a huge disadvantage from another figure as a result of my map making. I do this because I don’t want anyone not picking a unit solely because he will be an impractical choice given the board’s structure. I find that tall castles, even if they have ladders are ideal for many of the marvelscape figures who fly and have range attacks. If you need a castle in your map because you cannot possibly live without one (I feel this way myself at times) make sure to use plenty of ladders and keep the castle to one story of wall. To lower the height of a castle I sometimes place it on the table and build hexes around it almost making the castle like the mouth of the sarlacc pit. Even though a height induced castle of which I described can defeat the purpose of having a castle in the first place it saves the board’s equality. A house rule I have used to even out the playing field is if someone is below a designated space adjacent to the castle a figure may walk up it and only use one movement, this makes that space like a teleporter and evens out the marvelscape advantage most flying ranged units have. Or you can just have a turn limit that says you may only have a marvelscape figure on the castle for no more than two turns before he has to leave the castle for another two turns, this rule has been only used once and was more trouble than it was worth but it is still an idea.

No Flat and small, easily traveled boards- one cannot make a board to easy to traverse on because it allows the marvelscape characters to be completely overrun. I have seen this happen many times during my games and it takes the fun out of the game whether you are playing interchangeably or just with Heroscape figures.

Don’t build too high!- Now if you don’t mind picking all flying characters to do battle against he many ranged flyers that marvelscape has to offer than by all means build to your heart’s content. However, the more height, the harder it is for the walkers to giddy up it. This is most defiantly common sense, but when there are glyphs on cliffs those with flying are much more capable of getting it than those without. If you must build high places try to put them to the side of the map, like outposts. Or better yet I like to put a mini tower with only one or two spots where a sniper or range man can go. I normally put one of these in every starting point so it gives a player a chance to fend off enemies who come to close to annihilating an opponent early on (This is very useful in three player matches where you don’t want one man to be destroyed early and have to watch the other two players duke it out ‘til dawn).

No ice- Ice only hampers the walking units which need all the movement they can get. Try not to use ice. If you absolutely must use ice, do so as to not disrupt any players movement for a long period of time. I find ice works best on tops of high areas for two reasons: one, it is aesthetically pleasing as it makes the high point look like an ice mountain or something, and two at the high point there won’t need to be much movement if you’ve made the spot with few spaces. Keeping the area of ice to a minimum on high points also keeps the amount of movement used up there down.

Save the trees!- Trees are great ‘nuff said. But seriously, trees are good to use if you want to block off opponents from either using range from too far away or hitting melee units before they can even get in a turn.

No pussyfootin’- Don’t block the battlefield! It’s fine to put barriers up like trees and castles but in two player matches you want some amount of open area where the players can battle it out without having to worry about getting there before they are massacred by height and range. Put a high point in the middle of the board so that players with moxy are rewarded for traveling through no man’s land (don’t make it too big or high, otherwise you’ll have the same problem as the castle and the marvel range units squirtin’ out hurt on any who come near. Even a glyph or two can make an open area in the middle of the map worth trekking to. I like to use temporary glyphs, and tend to stray away from mitonsol, revive glyphs that do not reward the single player as much as all players when they are put into use.

Use the battlements instead of the castle- I find it more strategically sound, all around if a few battlements are sprinkled around the field on height. Not too much and not on the highest places on the map, but a well placed battlement can spell a good defense and offense. Just make sure the battlements can be somewhat easily gotten to for walking figures.

Well that’s all I can think of, everybody feel free to throw things out there I’m always looking for more ideas on how to make a level both equal for all heroscape and marvelscape units.

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:10 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: some do's and dont's for making a marvelscape/heroscape

There are some good idea's here. I've run into many problems with using Marvel figures, and your suggestions seem to do away with most problems.

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM

500points Woo who?

That's a good outline. My only problem withit is it sould be under the Maps and Scenarios, but that's not to importnat just ask an admin to move it.

< Click me Please
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM

boogle has disabled reputation

True, It would be great if this was moved to the maps and scenerios section I completely forgot there was such a section.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:48 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

Nice guide. Is this for mixed games or just Heroscape games.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

"Pussyfootin" is good when you want better blood shed (melee dominant battles).

-Edit
For Marvelscape games, for me, more LOS blockers = more fun. Since everyone can almost be anywhere on medium or even on big maps, plenty of LOS blockers is almost necessary for a fun and "tricky" game.

But since this is about interchangeable (Marvel/Heroscape) maps, I guess moderation on LOSBs is the way to go. I guess I'm agreeing with you.

Last edited by Ugly-Caco; June 1st, 2008 at 01:34 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios