Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old September 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Partial Cover House Rules by Hextr1p

So... two months later, but I've lightly started to revise this Partial Cover system to work simply based on the height of objects, rather than breaking the objects up into their own categories. Much easier to determine Partial Cover bonuses this way in that you only have one stat to deal with: height.

Rules on first page have started to be edited to reflect this change, though I did leave the older version of the rules below the revised version.

More needs to be added and expounded upon, but hopefully I'll be able to finish this up once I'm allowed the time to do so.

Again, if there are any questions or concerns regarding these changes, let me know.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Still working on these when I have the time. Added rules for Partial Cover bonus and non-adjacent objects, as well as a couple other items.

Always looking for comments, so chime in if you see something you have a question or concern about.

Partial Cover Rules
by Hextr1p (revised 12.3.10)

Objects
(description of objects which provide partial cover)
• Terrain Tiles
• Terrain Obstacles (walls, trees, glaciers, etc.)
• Figures

Determing Partial Cover

Adjacent Objects
When defending against a non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially blocked by an adjacent object with a height of 2 or more when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may receive a partial cover bonus.

Small or Medium figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 2 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Large or Huge figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, add do not add to that figure's defense dice.

EXAMPLE 1: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Taelord, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Taelord, the Kyrie Warrior has landed adjacent to a small ruin, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar.

Taelord checks for his Partial Cover bonus.The small ruin has a Height of 6, and Taelord has a Height of 5. Being that the Terrain Object in question has a Height greater than Taelord, he rolls 2 additional defense dice.

EXAMPLE 2: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Taelord, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Taelord, the Kyrie Warrior has landed adjacent to an evergreen tree, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar.

Taelord checks for his Partial Cover bonus.The evergreen tree has a Height of 10. However, Taelord has landed 6 levels high, where as the evergreen is on level 1. From Taelord's base, the evergreen has a height of 4, and is therefore less than Taelord's height. Taelord adds 1 additional defense dice for his Partial Cover bonus.

EXAMPLE 3: To illustrate that the base of the object providing Partial Cover must be between the attacker and the defender. (eg., Jungle brush leaf overlapping a defending figure in front of the brush)

Non-adjacent Objects
When defending against a non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially blocked by a non-adjacent object with a height of 2 or more when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may receive a partial cover bonus.

Small or Medium figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, do not add to that figure's defense dice.

Large or Huge figures: Large or huge figures do not receive a Partial Cover Bonus when their Hit Zone is partially blocked by a non-adjacent object.

EXAMPLE: (text to come)

Stacked objects
An explanation of how to deal with objects stacked on each other. (eg., an evergreen with a Height of 10 on top of a two terrain tiles would be equal to partial cover from an object with a height of 12).

EXAMPLES: (text to come)

Partial Cover adjacent to multiple objects
A defending figure never receives more than one Partial Cover bonus, even if it is adjacent to and obscured by multiple objects; however, other factors such as height Advantage may give the defending figure additional defense dice.

EXAMPLES: (text to come)

Old December 4th, 2010, 02:58 AM

Ramses800 is surprisingly tart

In my most humble opinion, the more variations there are, the more confusing it gets - I would suggest to try to attempt to formulate one rule to rule them all(and in the darkness bind them).

Last edited by Ramses800; December 4th, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Mmmmm.... Ice Cream.....

I like these as an additional ruleset. Its kind of funny as I remember mentioning to someone at NHSD how I felt ranged units had a huge advantage and that implementing a fully visible target zone to get a full attack would make more sense. As it stands a ZoM can hide it's head behind a jungle leaf and be unattackable but I digress...

Looking this over as it is the first I have seen of it, I am not sure why adjacency has to be important to receive a bonus. I realize you answered this somewhat earlier in the thread. That is my only problem with jungle rules, I would think if you are completely behind a bush it would have provided the same bonus as being next to it even if you can see my left pinkie toe. I personally think it is kind of silly that jungle provides a bonus to a figure standing in front of it that isn't obscured at all, unless that figure is the Predator. One thing I do question is I would think that making those bonuses stack wouldn't be a good idea and that Partial Cover as a rule would be better off superseding jungle rules as they are essentially the same or similar. Otherwise we end up with a possible +3 defense dice because a figure is next to a bush and partially behind a ruin.

Anywho, just rebuke me and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm up way too early on a Saturday.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:26 AM

NovaRaptor is surprisingly tart

I felt the same way when i started playing Heroscape waaaaay back in the day. My old group came up with a similar rule that works for us, but is in no way as thought out or precise as what you came up with.

Our rule is that if approximately 50% of the figures hit zone is blocked, for example by a battlement, the defending figure gets 1 extra defense die, because he is harder to hit then if he was out in the open.

I know this is not very exact but it has worked for us for years. Any dispute goes to a vote and if the vote is even we default to the normal rules. Hope this sheds light on what other scapers may be doing.
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm really liking this! I think it's going to take the game to a whole new level, with just a couple of simple rule additions.
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Resident Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses800 View Post
In my most humble opinion, the more variations there are, the more confusing it gets - I would suggest to try to attempt to formulate one rule to rule them all(and in the darkness bind them).
I completely agree. Which is why I simplified my original rules to be based on height and adjacency. Not sure I could get much simpler than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Looking this over as it is the first I have seen of it, I am not sure why adjacency has to be important to receive a bonus. I realize you answered this somewhat earlier in the thread. That is my only problem with jungle rules, I would think if you are completely behind a bush it would have provided the same bonus as being next to it even if you can see my left pinkie toe. I personally think it is kind of silly that jungle provides a bonus to a figure standing in front of it that isn't obscured at all, unless that figure is the Predator. One thing I do question is I would think that making those bonuses stack wouldn't be a good idea and that Partial Cover as a rule would be better off superseding jungle rules as they are essentially the same or similar. Otherwise we end up with a possible +3 defense dice because a figure is next to a bush and partially behind a ruin.
With the revised version, I added a statement for defending figures who get a Partial Cover bonus with non-adjacent objects. So in the most current rules, adjacency to an object isn't necessary for the bonus. However, in a thematic sense, I see adjacency to an object as a figure running and ducking down behind a wall or tree to help block ranged attacks. I'll also looking into the stacking of the Jungle bonus and the Partial Cover bonus. But being that a scenario like that may not happen very often, it may be one of those situations to let go in that it doesn't break the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaRaptor View Post
Our rule is that if approximately 50% of the figures hit zone is blocked, for example by a battlement, the defending figure gets 1 extra defense die, because he is harder to hit then if he was out in the open.

I know this is not very exact but it has worked for us for years. Any dispute goes to a vote and if the vote is even we default to the normal rules. Hope this sheds light on what other scapers may be doing.
The percentage system for partial cover is one that I'm sure works for certain groups, as you mention it does with your own. But as I'm trying to design something which everyone can easily incorporate, I wanted to get away from a rule which would raise too many questions and end in a vote or d20 roll to settle any disputes. Back in 2007, I had started a thread for partial cover rules, and people immediately started talking up the percentage of coverage on a figure to obtain a bonus. They could never agree on simple way to identify the percentage of coverage, and the thread died. Being that the spirit of the game is built on fun and simplicity, I decided to drop the percentages all together. I'm not saying the rules set I'm coming up with is gospel, and all other partial cover systems are wrong. Rather, I wanted to introduce something which could work for everyone based on the established rules of the Heroscape system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl View Post
I'm really liking this! I think it's going to take the game to a whole new level, with just a couple of simple rule additions.
Thanks! I figured now would be a good time to get these finished what with people introducing cool ways to help the game out now that it's in the hands of the fans.

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I "still" love your rules, however I'm not one for handing out too many defence dice, So I would likely only use the "if the object is greater or equal to the hight of the figure add 1 dice".

I question the idea of a goblin giving defence bonus to Bugbears.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Resident Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I "still" love your rules, however I'm not one for handing out too many defence dice, So I would likely only use the "if the object is greater or equal to the hight of the figure add 1 dice".

I question the idea of a goblin giving defence bonus to Bugbears.
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is skew the balance of power over to the melee side to the point it helps a bit TOO much.

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

I think I am just thinking of how perspective wise the further behind an object a person is the more obscured they are by it. Still I guess if you take into account that a target would actively attempt to hide behind an object (as seen in every TV show and movie) it makes sense. Have you had much of a chance to test these rules out? We should give it a shot sometime soon.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:32 AM

Ramses800 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
... that Partial Cover as a rule would be better off superseding jungle rules as they are essentially the same or similar.
I agree, when using these Cover rules, one should remove the jungle bonus completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I question the idea of a goblin giving defense bonus to Bugbears.
Here I disagree, using "meatshields" is a practice that have been used a lot in past history. This mechanic would also simulate the problem with target acquisition(firing at the enemy charging down on you right now before he smashes your skull in makes more sense than firing at the enemy further away) in a more interesting way.

And also, goblins before bugbears would probably do nothing to obstruct the line of sight if the attacker is significantly higher(like on a fortress ledge)

Last edited by Ramses800; December 17th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Resident Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses800 View Post
Here I disagree, using "meatshields" is a practice that have been used a lot in past history. This mechanic would also simulate the problem with target acquisition(firing at the enemy charging down on you right now before he smashes your skull in makes more sense than firing at the enemy further away) in a more interesting way.
Exactly. Strategy for movement and positioning of figures, both squaddies and heros, comes into play even more on a number of different levels. Which I think adds to both the challenge and the fun of the game, without over complicating things when determining whether or not a Partial Cover bonus is applied.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions