Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old July 13th, 2008, 04:54 AM

acdveins Woo who?
Re: Q10 is he the new Q9?

No, he can attack up to nine times if he only uses one dice for each attack.

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Q9's high defense is pretty important. Most ranged figures, even awesome ones, just can't throw those numbers of D6 around. You can have a fourth figure like the minutemen, great range like Syvarris, regeneration like Sonlen and MWs, flying like a dragon, or high all-around stats like the Krav, but ranged units with 4 to 9 attack dice and 7 defense are hard to come by. Not many ranged units break the 4-die barrier on attack or defense, and he breaks it on both. Even counting Marvel heroes, he's still in a select class.

Q10 is very good, very competitive, but he's more in line with Kaemon, dragons, and big ranged heroes in general. One thing I like about him is that his normal attack, the one Laglor can boost, is equal to Q9's, so I sometimes downgrade Q9 to Q10 in a Laglor army to shave off a few points.

Last edited by rdhight; July 13th, 2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: apostrophe
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Tribesofwar knows what's in an order marker Tribesofwar knows what's in an order marker

What I meant to say was that Q9, when using his special attack can only attack with a maximum of 3 dice per attack. Which would give Q9 three attacks. Or a 1 three attack+t2 two attacks+2 one attacks. Not 2 four attacks+1 one attack.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Q10 is weak. I went 2-3 at my last tournament. My two wins? Both players had Q10. I did have Krug, so I may have stomped Q9 just as easily, but I've never been very impressed with Q10.

As for why people sing Kaemon Awa's praises more? I think it's mostly his size. I don't know if one defense and 30 more points really makes up for the sacrifices in mobility and the much larger hit zone. As a clean up figure, it's nice to have a figure like KA that can hide more easily until you need him. Also, Kaemon Awa came out first. And he's a samurai. He gets a lot of praise simply for being cool, and being good is just sort of a bonus.

Compared to Q9? I don't think there really is a comparison. Those 30 points give you a lot. The only time I'd take Q10 is if I didn't have enough points for Q9 or if I don't want to win as much. Not exactly glowing praise.

In short, people don't talk about Q10 that much because he has two very good substitutes depending on how many points you've got left. If you want to make sacrifices for theme or power, he's certainly not a bad choice, he's just not as good.

(As an aside, this reminds me a lot of the 4th vs. 10th debates. Having an extra point of defense or two is significant, and seems to work better than a little extra flexibility).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Majai of Dreams is surprisingly tart

To me it is a matter of probability and what you are going against.

Speaking strictly on an offensive level comparing their special abilities.

What I like about Q10 compared to Q9 is that his special attack is 4 die twice, as opposed to Q9s 3 die 3 times.
Sure he rolls 1 less total die, but I like the concentrated damage for going against higher defense enemies.
Q9 can roll at most 3, so when attacking another high defense figure like Brunak or a deathwalker, I would rater roll 4 die twice, than 3 die 3 times. Sure he can just switch to his normal attack, but he still only gets 1 shot.
Q10 at least on my tables has proven to be more of a hero killer, while Q9 has been a squad destroyer, who also widdles down heroes. But Q10 has taken down the big guys with more consistency due to rolling 4 die per attack.

At the end of the day, it is being able to roll more die at once, not more die overall that puts Q10 higher in my book.

Make sound effects when you play Heroscape! It is sometimes annoying, but always more fun!
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In this army:

Major Q10 150
Swog Rider (x2) 200
Mimring 350
Krug 470
Arrow Gruts (x3) 600

...Q10 fills in the lack of defense rather nicely and brings 2 ranged Special Attacks. So, as said previously, if you can't afford Q9 in your army, Q10 isn't the worst substitute in the world.
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Dragonmaster384 is surprisingly tart

The two extra defense dice make a massive difference in survivability, and are well worth the extra points. I personally like Q10, but he is doomed to be overshadowed by Q9 forever.

8 RotV, 2 MTCB, 4 SotM, 2 BftU, 5 RttFF, 4 VW, 3 TT, 9 FotA, 3 TJ, 2+ of each Unique, 3+ of each Common/Uncommon
Want to count your 'scape?
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=32267
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
I had never played with either until last night. We were playing 400 points, general specific, builds.
clancampbell, I sincerely mean no disrespect and admire your honesty in this matter, but I cannot see how, with so little data, one can come to any sure conclusion in the matter. I'll be very interested to see how you analyze the comparative worth of the two Q's after, say, five or ten games with each one. I think the experience is especially colored by limiting your options to General specific army builds.

After a wider experience, I suspect you will come to realize exactly why Q-9's virtues are so widely sung. I might be wrong about that, though. It will be interesting to see.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Q9 is like th chuck norris of heroscape figures.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

No disrespect taken Rev. I'm glad to have a well respected board member, such as yourself, weigh in on this. You are right. I thought of that after posting and I do suppose it was a knee jerk reaction on my part. However, if nothing else, the game in question did open my eyes to how good I belive Q10 to be, and has made me think of other armies to build with him. So I take a character that neither myself or anyone in my group has ever used before, and now he'll get some playtime, at least for a little while. I guess it just makes me feel good that yet another figure has been moved to the possible play section, from the dust collector section, of my shelves. Now Sparticus feels really lonely.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They need a q10 unit, you know like how q9 has blastrons, and x-17 has gladiatrons.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:07 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishlad5 View Post
They need a q10 unit, you know like how q9 has blastrons, and x-17 has gladiatrons.
Blastarons are more like Q-10 than Q-9.

I am going to chime in on the Q10 fan club as I do tend to use him more than Q9. I think the biggest problem with people comparing the 2 of them is that they try and play them both the "same way" and you just cannot. Both are good against Squaddies but Q-9 gets the edge when the squads you are facing are Vipers and 2 defense squads who are not getting a defense bonus. He is also better vs KMA since he can take 9 shots at them and the law of averages say he should be able to kill at least one of them in a turn.
Q10 on the other hand is better against hero's and higher defense squads with the wrist rocket. Q10 is definitely a second or third wave kind of unit. I usually play him in Vydar themed builds and he comes out after the Glads/Blast have moved into position and tied my opponent up a bit. Q9 on the other hand can come out in the first wave depending on you opponents army.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles