Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Who is the best Gencon Main Event Player?

well um, this is all well and good, but the way I look at it it, I am the 2nd best player in the land for the year, why cause I got 2nd in the Nat. Championship, the others years are history and donīt mean much to me. I beat Spider this year, which was very cool, and is a feather in my cap - yep he had 50 less points then me, but that was his choice and I think a pretty smart one for him. OK, OK I am just kidding, I am the 2nd luckiest player in the land, but whatever I got the DICE to prove it!

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
This is kind of a silly thread.

Coming to the conclusion that anyone but Mattser or Spider is the best main event player by making up some bogus formula doesn't prove anything.
I've managed to fare pretty well against those on this list. I am 7-2 versus the top 10 on this list and 17-3 against everyone on the list.

Does that prove anything?
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Quote:

Coming to the conclusion that anyone but Mattser or Spider is the best main event player by making up some bogus formula doesn't prove anything.
I've managed to fare pretty well against those on this list. I am 7-2 versus the top 10 on this list and 17-3 against everyone on the list.

But you have yet to play everybody on the list.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It's on!!!!
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's on!!!!
Bring it!!
I already beat one AZ player at Gen Con, how different can you girly ranged army users be?!

Old August 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Bring it!!
I already beat one AZ player at Gen Con, how different can you girly ranged army users be?!

>
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:

>
Yeah, yeah...We'll see what the knights of Maccabeus have to say about this!

Old December 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I stumbled across this thread a few days ago while looking for something else, and decided to try to update it for the last five years of Main Events. (It was a little bit of a pain trying to figure out exactly which years people played the Main, but I did the best I could do. I'd appreciate any corrections.)

I used lonewolf's scoring rubric without any changes, except that I averaged 3rd and 4th place in the years when the 3rd place game was not played (2011, 2013, and 2014).

I wasn't completely satisfied with either point total or average as a measure of player performance; I wanted something in between. So, borrowing from sports statistics, I took each players yearly total for every year they played, and subtracted some baseline score from it. This reflects how much better they did than a competitive player might expect to do.

Of course, it's hard to say how high that baseline should be. I decided to come up with two measures: a lower baseline, which I call VAN for (obviously) "Value Above @NecroBlade ", and a slightly higher baseline, which I call WAD for (also obviously) "Wins Above @Deroche ". The results end up being pretty similar but people do slide up or down a couple spots here and there.

Anyway, here are the results, with everyone with a positive score in these measures sorted by those values (and then by average when needed). You can switch over from VAN to WAD with the tab on the bottom:

If anyone wants to see the complete lists, the spreadsheet is HERE. Please understand that the people at the bottom of the lists are not the true worst Main Event players; just the people who have played a lot while making Day 2 just once or twice.
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:15 PM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

All I need now is some catchy Heroscapers.com forum title about the acronym WAD. That's family friendly.

Or maybe it just needs to say "I'm a baseline"

Old December 18th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

It's not really fair to be counting the results to 2009, as those included Day 1 wins in them. It kinda skews the data a bit.
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:13 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

No, lonewolf's numbers didn't include day 1 results. I would have included day 1 results if he had, but AFAIK the day 1 results from those years aren't posted anywhere.
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I decided to play around a little with the results I have from the last 4 years Gencon's and see if I could create a system to rank all of the players that made it to day 2 of the main event. Here is what I came up with.

Scoring.....some challenges here because there used to be only the top 8 make the second day, but there also used to be less people in the event also. You could go a lot of directions with this...here is what I decided.

With this scoring each person is listed below. With the top 3 being Spider Poison, MattsterTruckRally, & Rĸchean. Day 1 wins only includes years when a player advanced to the second day. I would include all day 1 wins, but I have no way to get that information. This list is sorted by points and then day 2 wins to resolve ties. If there is still a tie, day 1 wins is used to resolve. Here are the results...

Not being completely satisfied with this since many people can't attend Gencon every year, I put in the number of years attended and divided the points by this number to give an average number of points per event attended. My apologies if I didn't get the number of years you participated correct. I think that I have most of them right. This gives a different result, helping people who haven't attended every year and showing how well you did the years that you did attend. Matthias moves up to the third spot with this weighted method reflecting that he has only been in the main event once. This different methodolgy put the top 4 as Mattster, Lonewolf, Matthias, and Spider Poison.

The bold. And the 2nd and 3rd table has a column for Day 1 wins.

Edit: ahh I see what you mean, they aren't counted into the score.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con