Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old January 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Search problems

Okay, so something is definitely wrong with search. Try a few simple ones yourself: a search for "height", for instance, yields only two pages ... a search for "search" yields only one(!). Obviously that's not right, on either count. Also note that apparently nothing older than the past few months shows up.

I suspect that something is up with the indexes. Perhaps they just need to be rebuilt? IAE, at the very least we should all be aware of this issue. No point in telling the noobs they should be using the search to find old threads when it ain't working.

As always, if there's anything I can do to help, let me know, but it sounds like Ketch has things under control lately.
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Search problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli
Okay, so something is definitely wrong with search. Try a few simple ones yourself: a search for "height", for instance, yields only two pages ... a search for "search" yields only one(!). Obviously that's not right, on either count. Also note that apparently nothing older than the past few months shows up.

I suspect that something is up with the indexes. Perhaps they just need to be rebuilt? IAE, at the very least we should all be aware of this issue. No point in telling the noobs they should be using the search to find old threads when it ain't working.

As always, if there's anything I can do to help, let me know, but it sounds like Ketch has things under control lately.
Yes this has really put a damper on me being able to say "search is your friend", because right now it isn't

From what I have been able to determine, the searches are only yielding results since the DB rebuild.
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Search problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
From what I have been able to determine, the searches are only yielding results since the DB rebuild.
Yeah, that's my suspicion as well. Hopefully a simple rebuild of the indices will fix it.

Guys? any chance someone can do that? Again, if there's anything I can do to help facilitate, just let me know and I'll be happy to pitch in.
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
You are mostly correct...
DB wasn't rebuilt, if it was then there would be no posts period.
However the search word list which I said takes up a lot of space was killed on the 12th.

Any posts before the 12th will not be searched, so unfortunately, all you people who defer newbies to searches will have to stop :P

::Nathan Hoel::
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch
You are mostly correct...
DB wasn't rebuilt, if it was then there would be no posts period.
However the search word list which I said takes up a lot of space was killed on the 12th.

Any posts before the 12th will not be searched, so unfortunately, all you people who defer newbies to searches will have to stop :P
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is BAD, very, very, bad!

I understand it from a size perspective, but it cuts the ability to effectively use the site by an order of degrees. Being unable to search old posts means that valuable information is essentially lost.

just my 2¢
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Arbiter of Peace

I agree,
I hope I didn't convince them to do it. I made a comment before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch
Yes that affects DB size extrodinarily.
A big thing phpbb does though is categorizes every single word every used in a post into the DB for searching. Besides posts that is the next largest table usually.
I was answering someone's question, but I wasn't advising it haha.
Guess I should make that distinction.
Also, there is no way of getting it back (unless there is a backup, however, even that would be hard to do, because it would need ot be merged with the past weeks stuff)

Old January 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
If we post to old threads would that make the rest of that thread searchable or would just the new posts in the thread be searchable?
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
People will have to grind it out the old fashioned way. Thread by thread, page by page.
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Arbiter of Peace

the other thing is...
normally you could google search a site... using the
"site: www.heroscapers.com search words"
thing.
But we banned google from the site... haha

Old January 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
HAHA! Man, that's priceless! Google is banned!

I totally understand why, though. Their bots were killing the bandwidth.

It does help a little to know what happened, though. I was wondering why a thread I knew dang well was still around would not pull up in Search.

One thing you can try, if you have the patience and know who posted what you're looking for, is to hit that person's profile and check 'view all posts by this person.' That's how I found the thread I wanted - I checked my own profile and looked through my 103 pages of post summaries.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
HAHA! Man, that's priceless! Google is banned!

I totally understand why, though. Their bots were killing the bandwidth.

It does help a little to know what happened, though. I was wondering why a thread I knew dang well was still around would not pull up in Search.

One thing you can try, if you have the patience and know who posted what you're looking for, is to hit that person's profile and check 'view all posts by this person.' That's how I found the thread I wanted - I checked my own profile and looked through my 103 pages of post summaries.
I have in fact used that technique this week...almost as painful as slicing your wrists and doing push ups is saltwater...but not as bad as trying to find something manually.
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I understand it from a size perspective, but it cuts the ability to effectively use the site by an order of degrees. Being unable to search old posts means that valuable information is essentially lost.
I think you understate the issue, personally. Not being able to search the site basically means the site is useless to quite a few people. Sure, we can still post, but I think that, just like any online community, there are always a good deal more reading than posting, and most of those readers are here looking for information.

That they, now, can't find.

Which makes the site useless, at least for them.

Also, I can't agree that there's no way of getting it back. If the posts still exist, then the search indices can be recreated (and if the posts don't still exist, then I suppose the entire point is moot, but IMax's comment seems to indicate that happily that's not the case). I mean, it may not be easy perhaps, but it must be possible. Again, I fully volunteer my time and effort to help out if necessary. I just hate to see the site crippled in this way.

Plus I have some stuff I wanna search for.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online