Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Doctor Who is back!

I can't believe we don't have a thread for this here. Oh... well... I guess we do now!

Did anyone watch the new episodes Friday night? I liked them. I'm glad to see The Doctor returning to a more fun persona, but I was liking the hardbitten version in Eccleston. I think it's so cool that the 9th incarnation was much closer to my own personality after carrying my username across the internet for about 9 years.

Anyway, who remembers the name of the group that blew up the invader's ship in The Christmas Invasion? C'mon, c'mon who were they?

Torchwood!

Turns out that this was the code name that the new series was produced under like SW Ep 6 was produced under the name "Blue Harvest". Well, our good friend Russell T. Davies, the man behind the new DW series has created a spin-off series as a companion piece to DW. It will feature Capt. Jack Harkness from the last season of DW. Click the above link for the IMDB info.

ninthdoc is pleased!

EDIT: Here's the wiki.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:29 PM
Admin & Retired PuppetMaster

LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
^_~

DOHHHTT!!!

No Spoilers!!! No Spoilers!!! ...Sheesh doc, ...you know I haven't had time to watch those new episodes yet! Cut me some slack here!!!

^_^

...I did record them Friday night though. Monday morning, after I take the kids to school, me and the the wifey will be firing up the ol' tardis once again. I'm looking forward to it...

^_^
-LordRaidor-

...Experience the Curse... (Click for Details)
[Don't Have 'Permission'? Click Here to Give Yourself Access...]
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM

Vette71 has disabled reputation
Why yes I did see them! The first thing that impressed me was David Tennant's Doctor is SOO much more believable in the character than Christopher Eccleston was. As long as they keep it on the right track (IE, none of that peurile, teenage soap opera nonsense with Rose and her "mummy" that Russell T Davies loves to impose) it will rank even higher than the classics!
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!
I actually had issues with The Doctor getting into a dual with the Alien (Syvorac ?). This is a dramatic change from his previous incarnations. He was always more a thinker than a doer. Even the aggressive Doctor portrayed by Jon Pertwee would never act in this manner, IMHO.

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:10 AM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
I still have them sitting on my DVR as I just got home this weekend after being out of town and am hoping to watch them before I leave again next weekend...so little time so much to do.

You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray without surrender
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
I actually had issues with The Doctor getting into a dual with the Alien (Syvorac ?). This is a dramatic change from his previous incarnations. He was always more a thinker than a doer. Even the aggressive Doctor portrayed by Jon Pertwee would never act in this manner, IMHO.

Buddy Lee
I completely disagree with you only b/c you mentioned Pertwee. Pertwee used to demonstrate his Venusian Ju-Jitsu. However, the rest of it is on track. I've been trying to demonstrate to my son that The Doctor resolves conflict w/his brain rather than his fists. My son even commented on the duel being not in character w/him using his brain (and he's only 6). I believe that Peter Davison used to fence as The Doctor as well. Anone else remember this? Or was it McCoy w/his bumbershoot?

Anyway, LR, I didn't give anything away, did I?

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM

Comet5 has disabled reputation
I thoroughly enjoyed it when it aired in the UK. It's just such a shame they all had to die in the end. Oh, what's that, NO spoilers, oh blast, sorry chaps.

Alea Iacta Est
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee
I completely disagree with you only b/c you mentioned Pertwee. Pertwee used to demonstrate his Venusian Ju-Jitsu. However, the rest of it is on track. I've been trying to demonstrate to my son that The Doctor resolves conflict w/his brain rather than his fists. My son even commented on the duel being not in character w/him using his brain (and he's only 6). I believe that Peter Davison used to fence as The Doctor as well. Anone else remember this? Or was it McCoy w/his bumbershoot?

Anyway, LR, I didn't give anything away, did I?
Big difference in using Ju-Jitsu as a defensive art than Flinging a Broadsword in a battle he volunteered for. But, as he said, he didn't know what type of man he was. In the past The Doctor always resorted to fighting as a final and last resort. It just seemed hollow (and rushed) that he so quickly (and readily) entered into a fight.

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Nice how they foreshadowed Torchwood in the Ep and the upcoming 3rd or 4th deals with its founding. The best part is that Capt Jack is coming back in torchwood! he was funny as hell.

First Ep was OK, but the 2nd one was great becasue Billie Piper finally got to show off her junk!

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Yeah, Im finding the Russel Davies scripts somewhat crappy. Always been a Who-ey; but the Eccleston-Tennant-Davies fraternity prevails.

Davies has directed stuff before with both the new doctors... And I dont fancy either of them much. Though Tennant is better than the far-too-serious Eccleston.

But its the scripts... Argh. Theyre not kitschy like Who should be, most of them are just plain bad.
Every other episode it's "Isnt Britain great?", "Arent Human beings bloody amazing?", "Isnt the BBC wonderful?" and so on.

Its as though Dr Who teaches at hogwarts <_<

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
Wow I like this Doc. At first I was scared thinking he looked a wimpy, , but that all changed when I actually got to watch the 1st new episode.

Sadly I had to go to work Friday night so no more than one episode for me,

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM

Vette71 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euryon
Yeah, Im finding the Russel Davies scripts somewhat crappy. Always been a Who-ey; but the Eccleston-Tennant-Davies fraternity prevails.

Davies has directed stuff before with both the new doctors... And I dont fancy either of them much. Though Tennant is better than the far-too-serious Eccleston.

But its the scripts... Argh. Theyre not kitschy like Who should be, most of them are just plain bad.
Every other episode it's "Isnt Britain great?", "Arent Human beings bloody amazing?", "Isnt the BBC wonderful?" and so on.

Its as though Dr Who teaches at hogwarts <_<
You forgot, "Rose Tyler is the most wonderful person in the entire universe."
In fact, the 2005 series would have been more appropriately titled if it had been called The Rose Tyler Show and subtitled Featuring some bloke calling himself the Doctor.

I do have to agree with ninthdoc on the duel, although I see the point about Tennant just rushing in to it, but then again, it's a trademark for the Doctor to be out of character for a while immediately following a regeneration.
But even Jon Pertwee had one heck of a violent sword duel in The Time Warrior and I'm sure others, and no one got their hands as dirty resorting to violence as the sixth Doctor did! (anyone remember him blasting the Cybercontroller to bits with his own gun!)

Of all the 05 season episodes, the really GOOD ones were NOT written by Davies. He only seems able to write, "Oh Rose, your mum misses you! Why are you leaving me??" <tears> "Oh Rose, I'm your boyfriend, why are you leaving me?" <tears> "Oh God, I've left me mum and boyfriend!" <tears>

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media