Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old March 19th, 2020, 06:57 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Superfrog's Maps -- Trashin' the Camp 3/19

I really like the look of that superfrog!

My first impressions as I'm looking at it (you're getting this fresh - I usually like to think about things before giving feedback)

Jungle covering level 3 can be dangerous - I'm not sure I'm worried about it in this case, but it's something to think about some more (and something I would look at carefully during playtesting). It usually suggests a good perch for Raelin, so consider how easily that spot can be contested by the opposing army and how quickly they can get there.

Were you going to have any glyphs on it? If so, the outside edge by the 3 hex ruin might be problematic because there is a choke point there. You might consider rotating the ruins a little bit to allow more ease of access, though that might throw the rest of the map off with jungle placement and such.

I'll keep thinking and let you know if anything else comes to mind!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old March 19th, 2020, 07:04 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I thought about both of those points so I'll respond briefly:

There is one level 3 hex on each side that has jungle cover. I was thinking about how Raelin would play here and I ended up deciding that the nearby level 4 height and the adjacent level 3 height would both help opposing armies attack Raelin if she was stationed there. It's not like it's a single hex that has height on all opponents. That said, I just noticed that I can switch a 2-hex and a 3-hex and eliminate that space entirely. I might do that.

I was not planning on any glyphs for this map. I thought about it, but decided against it. I think the sides are already kinda powerful with the big block of height, so I didn't think glyphs were going to add much to the build.
Old March 19th, 2020, 08:03 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I agree! Great first run! Really like the look of it and I agree this doesn’t need glyphs. I think the flow should be good enough that Raelin perches can be contested well enough here.

Also, By Babylon’s river happens to meet the contest criteria...

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 20th, 2020, 12:35 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_yC...ew?usp=sharing

Had to rearrange some support level tiles, but basically I switched a level 3 rock 2-hex on the left side leaving the SZ with the center level 3 rock 3-hex. This eliminates the would-be Raelin perch, and actually frees up some development through the middle. (The new level 2 space that was opened up is 5 walking spaces from the SZ).
Old March 20th, 2020, 01:57 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Solid map overall, and swapping the 2 and 3 hexes helps a good amount. The main thing I don't really like about it is that it's very island hoppy, which isn't something I like to see maps cater to. I also don't love the ruins on those tall hills because that can make for a great place to hide Raelin as it puts her in a corner that's pretty easily defended.

As far as both of those concerns go, though, I'd say that the map is mitigating them decently enough (the 2 hex change actually helps a lot, and it's also hard to tell how well without playing it). It's hard to get rid of the island hoppy-ness without a pretty big redesign. You could try angling the ruins different ways on top of the hills to see if it could help mitigate a strong Raelin play there, but I'm not really seeing an easy way to do that without a similar redesign of the hill itself.

However, with those two factors and the small size of the map, this looks like a Raelin fest. She's already great in the start zone since she can cover the two level 3 hills from it. Then with a little momentum she can move to the high hill behind a ruin and keep covering other strong points. I'd say that's the biggest detriment to the map as-is. Like I said, there's a decent amount to counter that with the ruins/hills/jungle, but I'm not sure that they do enough to counter the problems -- I'd have to play it out -- so that's my largest concern and what I'd look for in testing.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 20th, 2020, 02:25 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
However, with those two factors and the small size of the map, this looks like a Raelin fest. She's already great in the start zone since she can cover the two level 3 hills from it. Then with a little momentum she can move to the high hill behind a ruin and keep covering other strong points. I'd say that's the biggest detriment to the map as-is. Like I said, there's a decent amount to counter that with the ruins/hills/jungle, but I'm not sure that they do enough to counter the problems -- I'd have to play it out -- so that's my largest concern and what I'd look for in testing.
Good observations. I agree here. Sometimes we (myself included) forget that sometimes we don’t need to move Raelin out of the start zone in order for her to have an impact. Her ability to cover that 3-hex on the right, from the start zone is concerning for sure.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 6th, 2020, 07:23 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You should make a "scraps" section in the OP.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 10th, 2020, 06:44 PM
This is merely a joke.

Two new maps today, courtesy of some recent Zoom meetings that went a little long for my attention span.

Zoom Fatigue

(online board)

Uses 1 RotV, 1 RttFF, and 1 VW, with 2 random treasure glyphs (Gem of Lava Resistance and Searing Amulet are recommended for inclusion in the pool).

---------------------------------------

Turmoil

(online board)

Uses 1 SotM, 1 BftU, 1 RttFF, with 2 random glyphs.
Old August 10th, 2020, 08:08 PM

Re: superfrog's maps -- Zoom Fatigue and Turmoil 8/10

REALLY like Turmoil! Looks like a tournament staple at first glance...but I'll have to play on it and let ya know

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old August 13th, 2020, 07:36 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Two good looking maps!

For pink starting zone on turmoil, I'm concerned you're overly incentivised to go to the right. Have you found this to be an issue?
Old August 13th, 2020, 09:16 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

When I saw the name "Zoom Fatigue" I expected to see a pile of tiny, broken computer screens as a piece of custom terrain.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old August 13th, 2020, 02:29 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Two good looking maps!

For pink starting zone on turmoil, I'm concerned you're overly incentivised to go to the right. Have you found this to be an issue?
There’s a couple things that I hoped would encourage you to go left. The level 4 space is slightly closer from the left, and definitely closer to threaten. The left side also has road that lets you counter either a left play or a right play from your opponent. And lastly I think threatening the glyph and grabbing the edge height is easier on the left side.

All that said I think the right side may still be stronger, definitely something I’m going to look for as I play it more.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios