Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 5th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

The Great War

Introductory scenario #2, so not representing historical battle. This one introduces barbed wire, as well as no-man's land shelling at the start of the game, which adds some craters to normal terrain, as well as turning some barbed wire into craters. Gives the British some cover as they have to cross no-man's land to get into the German trenches. Aside from getting a Victory Medal for eliminating an enemy unit, British get temporary Victory Medal if they start their turn with one or more units in control of a German trench. Aside from getting a Victory Medal for eliminating an enemy unit, the Germans can opt to take a Victory Medal instead of choosing between 2 command cards at the end of a turn in which they played a Recon command card.

Germans ended up winning, though they had only gotten 1 Recon command card the whole game to get the free VM, but used it on their last turn to clinch the victory. First to 6 VM's wins. British ended up with 3 permanent VM's, but had and lost 2 temporary ones after controlling and then getting eliminated from German trenches.

Combat cards are a nice addition to this game, and can thwart an opponent's plans or supplement your own.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 5th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Got in some Splendor, Flashpoint, and Last Night on Earth at the monthly meet up here.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 5th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Got in some Splendor, Flashpoint, and Last Night on Earth at the monthly meet up here.
How'd you like Splendor?

Old September 6th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I liked it. Pretty easy to pick up. Not a "must have" but fun enough. I probably have to work on my strategy a bit still, but I was two turns away from winning. Still lost, though.

Most games I get really excited about these days are more thematic, though.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 6th, 2015, 07:00 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

Glad you got your Great War game okay. Looks like it is fun! Won't have mine for a while yet.
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:47 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Got in one scenario of Shadows of Brimstone yesterday, starting a new 4 player campaign.

Our preacher had a great time, he kept failing on blessing sermons but when it came time to cast a judgement he was thriving! Eventually he found an artifact that caused him to become more and more corrupt every time he killed an enemy. After blowing apart a group of zombies he failed his saves eventually mutating a tentacle leg. The game is just such goofy fun and really builds a narrative as you play. Love it.

Then played two games of Battlelore 2nd edition. Loving this one also. love the units, the special abilities they have and how using lore cards can influence the game. I also really enjoy the scenario card set up and army placement. I managed to win both games, one very close and the other not so much. Can't wait for the undead faction.

We ended the day with Welcome to the Dungeon

Really fun micro game. Basically every turn you can either populate the dungeon with a creature you drew that turn, discard the creature and one of the Heros special items that he may need to fight with, or drop out of the round. If all of the players drop out, the one remaining must go into the dungeon and face the monsters with whatever gear they have left. If they are able to defeat all the creatures, they find a scroll. If they cannot defeat them, they take a wound. If you fail twice you are eliminated. First person with two scrolls wins! Super quick, easy, and fun. I picked up a copy for myself. You can't go wrong for $13

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I liked it. Pretty easy to pick up. Not a "must have" but fun enough. I probably have to work on my strategy a bit still, but I was two turns away from winning. Still lost, though.

Most games I get really excited about these days are more thematic, though.
Yeah, I tend to lean more toward thematic games, but I do enjoy some euros as well. As I get older, I want to keep my brain exercised so as to not end up a blathering idiot in my real old age

Splendor is a nice light game that I've enjoyed many times. It's quick, very little setup and cleanup time and is easy to teach. Kind of nice when not in the mood for a heavy game or have time for a longer game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

Glad you got your Great War game okay. Looks like it is fun! Won't have mine for a while yet.
My buddy ordered several of them, so it was packed well with the other 5 games. I think some of the people that backed individually had some issues, as some extra KS sprues were packed on the outside of the box or something.

The only issue to me was cutting the soldiers off the sprues, around 7 British bayonets broke off. Fortunately I was aware of this issue from reports on BGG, so I was sure to clip them where a broken bayonet could be easily found on my desk. I had ordered nice sprue cutters, so I at least gave myself the best chance at it. But then I glued the broken bayonets back on and it's all good. Sure it is kind of a pain and really shouldn't have that happen, especially from a company that specializes in plastic minis, but it did happen and I'm sure PSC is working on a solution for the next batch.

Some people made such a big deal about it, as if it were a deal breaker from them getting the game, but that's kind of silly to me. I mean, sure it's a pain initially and perhaps you may lose a bayonet or two that can't be found to glue back on. But the soldiers being 15mm, it's not exactly like they are the 54mm size where it stands out. Also, it's not always likely that you are going to use every soldier in a given scenario, so keep the broken bayonet ones in the box unless absolutely needed. Even then, when a unit takes damage, remove the ones with the broken bayonets first. Really shouldn't be a big deal that some people make it out to be.

In the two practice scenarios that I soloed to learn the game, it was pretty fun and neat how important terrain can be. The first basic scenario hadn't introduced barbed wire or craters yet. So no man's land was quite deadly. But the second basic scenario had a lot of barbed wire across no man's land, and before starting the game, the British got to roll for the prep artillery. Basically there are rows (4 in this case) that make up no man's land, even if part of them have some front trenches. You roll a d6 and go from left to right in the row closest/including Germans and count that d6 result from left to right. If there is a terrain tile there or troops from initial setup, you ignore it, but otherwise you put a crater tile there, or flip over a barbed wire tile to a crater tile. So you continue to roll the d6 and count from the last space rolled until you get all the way to the right side of the board, then do it for each of the other three rows, until you end up with quite a different landscape than you started with. You will now see some paths that the British will need to take to advance on the German trenches, as the craters are not as good (ignore 1 flag and 1 soldier symbol) as a trench (ignore 2 flags and 2 soldier symbols), but they are better than open terrain with no modifiers, or barbed wire which requires an attack to get through.

I know that some people were complaining that the scenarios mostly have the British attacking the Germans, but it is what it is. By the time the British really got involved, the Germans had already gotten through Belgium and into France. Once the trench system got built up from Switzerland all the way to the north shores of Belgium, past Ypres, the Germans weren't really on the major offensive to take France anymore because they had to divert a lot of troops to take on the Russians in the east and to help the pitiful Austro-Hungarian army, run by the dufus Conrad. Those idiots in Austria pretty much started the war because they wanted the Balkins, yet they were a joke of an army, or at least led by morons. The Ottomans were pretty pitiful too.

Anyway, so far from what I've played, I like how this game plays differently than Memoir '44 and C&C Napoleonics (though I only have a few games of that played).

Old September 6th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Still painting Tail Feathers this week. I played some 7 Wonders and Jungle Speed as well.

Finished Snibble on Sienna.

and

Wella on Valchirp this week.

Also worked on

Zure

and

Staborah

as well as

Aerijin
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Wow, those are incredible. Nice work.
Any chance you will be working on Heroscape designs for them?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:05 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Wow, those are incredible. Nice work.
Any chance you will be working on Heroscape designs for them?
I hadn't really thought of that? Has someone already done the rest of the Mice and Mystics universe?
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Lots of LotR: LCG and Mistfall with my 4 year old son lately. He's a big fan of Beorn (who isn't?).

Finally beat the third and fourth scenario in Mistfall. The time deck just can be brutal sometimes. Really enjoying all the cool combos that each hero offers.

Been using board games to homeschool my son a lot as of late.
Is it bad that one of the first words my son was able to read is Dunedain?

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:38 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

MM,

That depends--did he read it in English or Elvish?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games