Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

Old December 1st, 2017, 10:15 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Workshop Thread

I will definitely give Henge Arena an on this version. This is a great example of how a theme can drive an innovative map. I was a little disappointed that Wannock was in the middle (I am so tired of so many maps using it.), but the way you have it set up will create interesting game play.

All in all, very nice work. I am excited that you are willing to workshop and learn. Great job, @JaesShurrig .
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:07 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Henge Arena by JaesShurrig has received a majority vote and the ARV will playtest this submission for tournament worthiness.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:40 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I’m resubmitting this map for consideration by my fellow ARV judges to review through playtesting. I originally removed it from playtesting because I felt it didn’t meet the right competitive standards, but I feel that it is much more balanced now.

Download

Sir Heroscape's Content

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; January 12th, 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I really like the new look of Barren Plateau - I think it keeps the theme strong while sporting better gameplay. to review.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Sir Heroscape , which glyphs are being used on Barren Plateau? I can see Dagmar easily, but can't download it right now to see what the other one is? Just from first glance at the map, I notice that Raelin can perch from the start zone and have her aura encompass both glyphs.
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
[MENTION=46678]Sir Heroscape[/MENTION], which glyphs are being used on Barren Plateau? I can see Dagmar easily, but can't download it right now to see what the other one is? Just from first glance at the map, I notice that Raelin can perch from the start zone and have her aura encompass both glyphs.
The download isn't working for me either, but the other glyph appears to be Ulaniva (Unique Attack).
Old January 12th, 2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
@Sir Heroscape , which glyphs are being used on Barren Plateau? I can see Dagmar easily, but can't download it right now to see what the other one is? Just from first glance at the map, I notice that Raelin can perch from the start zone and have her aura encompass both glyphs.
It is unique Attack+1 and Dagmar. I couldn’t find a reasonable way to reposition the plateau in order to allow terrain changes and openness while also avoiding Raelin being able to cover both Glyphs. Hence, I put two “weaker” Glyphs (one that rarely benefits an army, and one that only activates at the end/beginning of the round) on the map. You’ll also notice I raised the shadow crevasse by 1 level so movement across the divide is actually quite easy even for 4 and 5 move figures. Glyphs are also 2 activations away from both 5 and 6 move figures and 4 move figures can engage a Glyphs holder turn 2

I’ll try to fix the download.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:16 PM

The Download is updated now

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old January 14th, 2018, 05:46 PM

Henge Arena by @JaesShurrig Review

First off, LOVE this map concept and theme...it plays exactly like an arena should, with the center being full of carnage and swingyness. It's well designed and very fun to play on. With all that said, I'm going to it for now. I believe it's almost there but still needs a few tweaks and here's my main issue: THE EDGES.

This map does such a good job of focusing effort, activations and resources to the center height and wannock, that the edges kind of get forgotten. Not only forgotten, but they become a hinderance even for armies that try to use them to route their opponent. The reason the edges don't work is because it takes too much effort to get your figures around the edge and it's too hard to get them back into the action in the center. The focal point is the center, and opponents will fight tooth and nail for the great height and control of wannock in the middle. That's a good and exciting thing to have on this map, and that's why we need to make every aspect of this map point to the center. The dip with the water and shadow where the glyphs are is also and issue when units on the road decide they need to help out in the middle and try to traverse the dip. It takes too long and is too hard. I believe routing an opponent is strategic and important on a map though so the below image is an effort to show how I believe -conceptually- the next iteration should look like...

I believe that 3 glyphs is a little much anyway, especially because wannock brings so much attention to itself, the other glyphs kind of get forgotten sometimes...and so I propose they be removed and you instead create the "stands" of the arena as a single-hex road that is just a straight shot from one end to the other BUT engages the 7hex sand along the way. You'll notice that that 7hex sand near where the glyph is currently positioned is a great spot to hang out...so having the road directly connect to that position along the way is very useful. It also allows a unit to quickly route the opponent by racing through the "stands" unnoticed and then rushing into the center to join the fight.

One last thing. You'll notice the hexes marked with dots...I very strongly suggest dropping them 1 level. I've played on this map enough to know that that is a development issue for armies with units on that side of the startzone. 4 move figures can't move up onto it and the only 5 move figure that can is that front most position. All other 5 move figures have to wait before trying to make the climb, and that really makes development difficult (For double-spacers especially). I think those positions being dropped 1 level will allow a much more fluid development of the army. That, IMO is a necessity.

I love the look and feel of this map...but I think there are just some final tweaks it needs in order to be a competitive tournament map. It's SO close...but I'm 'ing it for now.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old January 15th, 2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I’m resubmitting this map for consideration by my fellow ARV judges to review through playtesting. I originally removed it from playtesting because I felt it didn’t meet the right competitive standards, but I feel that it is much more balanced now.

Download
With everything that Sire Heroscape mentioned about map changes after my question about the glyph choices and Raelin concern, I am pacified. I vote this map.
Old January 24th, 2018, 11:02 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Henge Arena by @JaesShurrig Review

First off, LOVE this map concept and theme...it plays exactly like an arena should, with the center being full of carnage and swingyness. It's well designed and very fun to play on. With all that said, I'm going to it for now. I believe it's almost there but still needs a few tweaks and here's my main issue: THE EDGES.

This map does such a good job of focusing effort, activations and resources to the center height and wannock, that the edges kind of get forgotten. Not only forgotten, but they become a hinderance even for armies that try to use them to route their opponent. The reason the edges don't work is because it takes too much effort to get your figures around the edge and it's too hard to get them back into the action in the center. The focal point is the center, and opponents will fight tooth and nail for the great height and control of wannock in the middle. That's a good and exciting thing to have on this map, and that's why we need to make every aspect of this map point to the center. The dip with the water and shadow where the glyphs are is also and issue when units on the road decide they need to help out in the middle and try to traverse the dip. It takes too long and is too hard. I believe routing an opponent is strategic and important on a map though so the below image is an effort to show how I believe -conceptually- the next iteration should look like...

I believe that 3 glyphs is a little much anyway, especially because wannock brings so much attention to itself, the other glyphs kind of get forgotten sometimes...and so I propose they be removed and you instead create the "stands" of the arena as a single-hex road that is just a straight shot from one end to the other BUT engages the 7hex sand along the way. You'll notice that that 7hex sand near where the glyph is currently positioned is a great spot to hang out...so having the road directly connect to that position along the way is very useful. It also allows a unit to quickly route the opponent by racing through the "stands" unnoticed and then rushing into the center to join the fight.

One last thing. You'll notice the hexes marked with dots...I very strongly suggest dropping them 1 level. I've played on this map enough to know that that is a development issue for armies with units on that side of the startzone. 4 move figures can't move up onto it and the only 5 move figure that can is that front most position. All other 5 move figures have to wait before trying to make the climb, and that really makes development difficult (For double-spacers especially). I think those positions being dropped 1 level will allow a much more fluid development of the army. That, IMO is a necessity.

I love the look and feel of this map...but I think there are just some final tweaks it needs in order to be a competitive tournament map. It's SO close...but I'm 'ing it for now.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm assuming that I would still be able to revise this map with that in mind? If so, I would love to, but it may take some time, what with traveling and family stuff going on, but I will definitely try to get a revised version done as soon as possible
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:46 AM

Feel free to revise it as you see fit. You can leave it as is and wait for the other judges to chime in or you can retract it and make changes. It's up to you. My post is my official review and opinion - based off of my playtests - of where I believe the map stands and where it needs to go to be more competitive.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla