Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old June 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Re: Arch-Vile's Customs- Odysseus, Dzu-Teh, Lich added

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
I like your take on Odysseus. I'm thinking of making an Odysseus custom and I had entirely different powers in mind, but I like what you did and the way he works with the Greeks. Nice work.
Actually, the only parts I can remember from my Odysseus custom don't work very well and yours has grown on me even more since I first looked at it.
Cool, thanks Caps. Odysseus is such a neat character he has to make it into 'scape somehow. The disengage "aura" I first heard of from a friend of mine's custom, then I saw C3G's Storm had such an aura. I'm curious to see if it will be useful in games. Having Odysseus means Parmenio will probably be left behind, so Death Defy won't come into play, but the Greeks will move much faster towards the enemy's ranged units.

I've been making a lot more customs lately, and not playing as many games. So, the Wild Animal faction has been created. None have been playtested, but I don't think any are too overpowered, being all common heroes (one uncommon). Netherspirit has some really neat Wild Animal customs, and there are quite a few other custom creators out there with animals as well. I based mine off of all those, but these are mostly my own creations. I'd like to hear anyone's feedback on them.
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Arch-Vile's Customs- Wild Animals added

Always a fan of creators building whole factions. I applaud your efforts on the Animals.

General Thoughts

There is an inherent danger in creating a pseudo-squad with units of wildly different costs. Each turn of activation allows the free use of any 3 Wild Animals, so no pre-planning order markers involved -- it is purely reactionary. When a turn comes around, it may be difficult to justify using any weaker units when stronger units are still available. That is, playtesting may uncover that players continue to activate the most expensive figures first until they're dead, then the cheaper ones, etc, because they produce the most bang for the buck.

Not to say that is the case here, per se. It's more of a general warning about what you're trying to accomplish. Keep an eye on how they play out in playtesting.

Gaertha

My initial feeling is that Gaertha is very undercosted. There are few official examples of such figures, but Kurrok provides a decent template. 120pts is way too high for a 3/3 melee hero, even with a resurrection power, so most of his cost is due to his pseudo-squad control power. Gaertha has an improved version of that (no range or clear sight required) with stronger figures (50pts), so that alone should skyrocket her cost. Without that power she is still probably worth 105pts, with decent stats, range, engagement strike, and a useful aura boost.

My other concerns are minor. "Beast Handler" is a bit of a misnomer; she does not control Beasts in the Heroscape meaning. "Animal Handler" would be more fitting. Animal Companionship says it gives a boost to Beasts -- did you mean Animals? I'm also don't love the Valiant personality, but that really comes down to your own vision of the character.

Bengal Tiger

Outside of tree-filled maps, these guys are pretty powerful. 4/4 with 6 move and 3 life is worth 50pts, especially with the ability to get three activations. On a tree-filled map I suspect they are badly underpriced. The tricky part is that all three of their abilities are terrain-specific, which makes their value highly dependent on that terrain. Like other terrain-specific units before them, they need to be costed for the idea maps.

Box Tortoise

An interesting little fellow. Really tough defensively (no pun intended), but practically no offense. Unfortunately practically no speed either. Thematic, but I fear will make them near-useless; it will take too many activations to get them into position.

Fyorlag Croc

Curious choice of naming here. Your other animals are clearly Earth-based, while this one is decidedly Valhallan. You even abbreviated Crocodile, which is unique amongst your animals. Not good or bad, just curious.

This is your most solid design of the group. Solid stats and some useful powers. Unfortunately they are outshined by the Tigers almost across the board, except for the auto-wound ability. Though 4 attack is generally enough to crack any defenses given a little time, and the Tigers have a potential defense-reducing power.

Other than the Tigers, the Croc's biggest problem is their lack of Climb or Scale. Thematic, but could be killer on some maps.

Giraffe

I rather like the design used here. Easily Startled is a neat power, though I think it needs to be reigned in. The power could, in theory, be activated dozens of times in a single turn. That just drags the game out. I suggest limiting it to once per turn. It's also not clear to me if Easily Startled activates if an already-engaged figure moves around a Giraffe; I think it does activate but I don't think you mean it to. See Engagement Strike for wording to prevent that. Finally, once a figure moves adjacent to a Giraffe, it is unlikely that Giraffe will move for fear of an engagement strike. Did you want them to have Disengage while using Easily Startled?

Kick Special Attack is useful and perfectly thematic.

Woodland Deer

Again, interesting. Most of my comments above about Easily Startled apply here too. The part I don't understand about this unit is how it fits into an army. They do not work well as a screening unit; they can run in the way of oncoming melee units but won't last too long. Against range units they will just die like deers in headlights, as Easily Startled won't trigger. They lack the offense to be used as assassins, and will require actions to move them up to tie up opposing range units (since Easily Startled won't help them there). They're cute, but I don't see them as useful. The key difference between them and Deathreavers is that the rats can get free movements when being attacked at range. That allows them to continually harass range units, which the deer are not capable of doing without using precious activations.

Grey Wolf

Along with the Crocs, these are your best. Pretty straightforward design given the Wolves of Badru, but there's nothing wrong with that. Adds a useful special attack to the Wild Animal army.

Summary

Overall some neat ideas and a whole lot of theme. I do think some things need to be tightened up and each animal's purpose in the faction considered, but a good start.
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Re: Arch-Vile's Customs- Wild Animals added

Scytale, I am always excited to see that you've left a comment. Your insights are invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Always a fan of creators building whole factions. I applaud your efforts on the Animals.

General Thoughts

There is an inherent danger in creating a pseudo-squad with units of wildly different costs. Each turn of activation allows the free use of any 3 Wild Animals, so no pre-planning order markers involved -- it is purely reactionary. When a turn comes around, it may be difficult to justify using any weaker units when stronger units are still available. That is, playtesting may uncover that players continue to activate the most expensive figures first until they're dead, then the cheaper ones, etc, because they produce the most bang for the buck.

Not to say that is the case here, per se. It's more of a general warning about what you're trying to accomplish. Keep an eye on how they play out in playtesting.
Good point. I'll keep an eye on that part of it.

Quote:
Gaertha

My initial feeling is that Gaertha is very undercosted. There are few official examples of such figures, but Kurrok provides a decent template. 120pts is way too high for a 3/3 melee hero, even with a resurrection power, so most of his cost is due to his pseudo-squad control power. Gaertha has an improved version of that (no range or clear sight required) with stronger figures (50pts), so that alone should skyrocket her cost. Without that power she is still probably worth 105pts, with decent stats, range, engagement strike, and a useful aura boost.

My other concerns are minor. "Beast Handler" is a bit of a misnomer; she does not control Beasts in the Heroscape meaning. "Animal Handler" would be more fitting. Animal Companionship says it gives a boost to Beasts -- did you mean Animals? I'm also don't love the Valiant personality, but that really comes down to your own vision of the character.
For some reason, I didn't think of comparing cost to Kurrok. I'd like to keep her cost down, so I'll reduce range to 1, defense to 3, and add a clear sight restriction on her power. 120 points to be even with Kurrok should be enough to start playtesting.

I had originally made all the Animals "beasts", then I noticed Netherspirit accomplished the "Animal Faction" by using the Animal class and Wild personality, which fits thematically. When I changed all the cards, I apparently missed those. Animal Handler sounds good. I'll have to change her class too.

Quote:
Bengal Tiger

Outside of tree-filled maps, these guys are pretty powerful. 4/4 with 6 move and 3 life is worth 50pts, especially with the ability to get three activations. On a tree-filled map I suspect they are badly underpriced. The tricky part is that all three of their abilities are terrain-specific, which makes their value highly dependent on that terrain. Like other terrain-specific units before them, they need to be costed for the idea maps.
I'll raise to 70. I want them to be powerful on foresty maps, but not that powerful. Playtesting should prove for sure.

Quote:
Box Tortoise

An interesting little fellow. Really tough defensively (no pun intended), but practically no offense. Unfortunately practically no speed either. Thematic, but I fear will make them near-useless; it will take too many activations to get them into position.
I'll raise speed to 4. It won't help much, but hopefully it will give the tortoise a use. (2 activations to a glyph on some maps, especially with Amphibious)

Quote:
Fyorlag Croc

Curious choice of naming here. Your other animals are clearly Earth-based, while this one is decidedly Valhallan. You even abbreviated Crocodile, which is unique amongst your animals. Not good or bad, just curious.

This is your most solid design of the group. Solid stats and some useful powers. Unfortunately they are outshined by the Tigers almost across the board, except for the auto-wound ability. Though 4 attack is generally enough to crack any defenses given a little time, and the Tigers have a potential defense-reducing power.

Other than the Tigers, the Croc's biggest problem is their lack of Climb or Scale. Thematic, but could be killer on some maps.
This was the first Animal I created, and I figured Aquilla's swamps could use another creature. However, you make a very good point since all other animals are from Earth. I'll change the name to Saltwater Crocodile. I'll give the Crocs Scale 2, hopefully with that and the Tiger's higher cost a Croc will be a good draft choice.

Quote:
Giraffe

I rather like the design used here. Easily Startled is a neat power, though I think it needs to be reigned in. The power could, in theory, be activated dozens of times in a single turn. That just drags the game out. I suggest limiting it to once per turn. It's also not clear to me if Easily Startled activates if an already-engaged figure moves around a Giraffe; I think it does activate but I don't think you mean it to. See Engagement Strike for wording to prevent that. Finally, once a figure moves adjacent to a Giraffe, it is unlikely that Giraffe will move for fear of an engagement strike. Did you want them to have Disengage while using Easily Startled?

Kick Special Attack is useful and perfectly thematic.
Good catches on all the wording fiascos. This should solve it, though I'm not totally happy with the "Figures may be targeted" wording, since no figure is targeted in the traditional sense.

EASILY STARTLED 11
If an opponent's figure moves adjacent to at least one Giraffe, you may roll the twenty-sided die. On a roll of 11 or higher, you may move all Giraffes you control up to 5 spaces each. Giraffes never take leaving engagement attacks when using Easily Startled. Figures may be targeted only as they move into engagement with a Giraffe. You may only roll for Easily Startled once per turn.

Quote:
Woodland Deer

Again, interesting. Most of my comments above about Easily Startled apply here too. The part I don't understand about this unit is how it fits into an army. They do not work well as a screening unit; they can run in the way of oncoming melee units but won't last too long. Against range units they will just die like deers in headlights, as Easily Startled won't trigger. They lack the offense to be used as assassins, and will require actions to move them up to tie up opposing range units (since Easily Startled won't help them there). They're cute, but I don't see them as useful. The key difference between them and Deathreavers is that the rats can get free movements when being attacked at range. That allows them to continually harass range units, which the deer are not capable of doing without using precious activations.
It pains me, but I'll give the deer Scatter and take out Easily Startled. You are very right that range would walk all over the deer, which isn't thematic. As soon as a gunshot goes off, those deer should Scatter!

Quote:
Grey Wolf

Along with the Crocs, these are your best. Pretty straightforward design given the Wolves of Badru, but there's nothing wrong with that. Adds a useful special attack to the Wild Animal army.

Summary

Overall some neat ideas and a whole lot of theme. I do think some things need to be tightened up and each animal's purpose in the faction considered, but a good start.
Thank you very much for commenting. I can't wait to get off some playtests with the Wild Animals, I imagine by July I'll have gotten a couple games in.

Last edited by Arch-vile; June 8th, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Scytale again.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Archie

Re: Arch-Vile's Customs- Star Wars + James Bond added

The OP has been updated with a new batch of more well known Star Wars units, and a rather powerful Agent of Vydar.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:33 PM

Name653 is surprisingly tart

Although I haven't seen any James Bond movies, I like your card of him. I also think it's really cool that your pastor plays with you!

Jesus Rocks!
"[HoSS] is brilliant!" ~Grungebob
High Resolution Scanned Heroscape Cards
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Archie

He is pretty awesome, he introduced me and my buddies to 'scape about 1.5 years ago.

You haven't seen any Bond movies?! They are a little risky for PG-13, I admit. I am really surprised some aren't rated R.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM

Name653 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
He is pretty awesome, he introduced me and my buddies to 'scape about 1.5 years ago.

You haven't seen any Bond movies?! They are a little risky for PG-13, I admit. I am really surprised some aren't rated R.
Wow, that's even cooler!

I'll ask my mom to get some on Netflix. I know the feeling. Kinda reminds me of Batman: Arkham Asylum/City.

Jesus Rocks!
"[HoSS] is brilliant!" ~Grungebob
High Resolution Scanned Heroscape Cards
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Archie

Re: Arch-Vile's Customs- Huge Pokemon update

Those games were overly violent in my opinion for superhero games. Nolan kept it clean in the violence dept., that's how it should be. But I digress...

I've added a bunch of pokemon to the first post. A big classic heroscape wave will be in my next update. Hope everyone enjoys.
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Archie

Re: Arch-Vile's Customs- Polyphemus highlighted

Polyphemus has been added. My computer went bonkers so I'll update one or two cards at a time only until my new computer comes in and I can make cards again.
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Polyphemus has been added. My computer went bonkers so I'll update one or two cards at a time only until my new computer comes in and I can make cards again.
Nice work on Polyphemus. Looks thematic and fun.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Archie

Quote:
Thanks Caps. Always glad to hear your thoughts.

Agent Carr 2.0 has been added to the OP. I am not sure who to do next from RotV, probably Syvarris. He will be much trickier to design a remake for than Carr though, due to being such a simple figure. Hmm...
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Caps. Always glad to hear your thoughts.

Agent Carr 2.0 has been added to the OP. I am not sure who to do next from RotV, probably Syvarris. He will be much trickier to design a remake for than Carr though, due to being such a simple figure. Hmm...
Nice take on Agent Carr! I've wanted to do something like that for a while myself. You've undervalued him though; he'll be a pain to take down and he can dish out the damage too.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards