Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old July 19th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Got a Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2bator View Post
My first job was at the SuperSonic Car Wash. It wasn't too bad, except that it gets HOT inside those cars when cleaning all the interior windows.

Fun celebrity run-in: I washed the car of the great Wilford Brimley (the Quaker Oats guy). And by the way, he was an a$$ and hardly tipped anything after getting special treatment!

That's what you get for giving special treatment to 'celebrities'.
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:54 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2bator View Post
My first job was at the SuperSonic Car Wash. It wasn't too bad, except that it gets HOT inside those cars when cleaning all the interior windows.
Don't you mean "Sup3rS0n1c"?

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So, I'm back after working from 5:00 AM to 12:30 PM, with a 10 minute break for lunch.

It definately felt good to start at the crack of dawn like that, for some reason.

Anyway, favorite parts:

Herding the cows into the milking area and getting them in place for milking.

Power washing milkers after all the cows were milked.

Washing away all the crap that accumulated throughout the day into a large grill.

Worst parts:

Attaching the milkers to cows that loved to kick, always upsetting the milker and making me start the process almost all over again.

Having a cow take a whiz or dump one right next to me, thus splattering me.

On another note, they didn't have any boots for me other than a pair that was two sizes to small. It was either them or work in my shoes. You guys try working from 5 to 12 with a pair of boots two sizes to small.

Overall, I had a good day. I'm going back tomorrow, Wednesday, Friday (maybe), and Saturday.
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
So, I'm back after working from 5:00 AM to 12:30 PM, with a 10 minute break for lunch.

It definately felt good to start at the crack of dawn like that, for some reason.

Anyway, favorite parts:

Washing away all the crap that accumulated throughout the day into a large grill.

Worst parts:

Attaching the milkers to cows that loved to kick, always upsetting the milker and making me start the process almost all over again.

On another note, they didn't have any boots for me other than a pair that was two sizes to small. It was either them or work in my shoes. You guys try working from 5 to 12 with a pair of boots two sizes to small.

Overall, I had a good day. I'm going back tomorrow, Wednesday, Friday (maybe), and Saturday.
Congrats on a good honest days work!

God I hate cows. I can't stead working with them. Any animal too stupid to lift it's tail when it poops deserves to be food. I sympathize with your dealings with them.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Well, I got a job at a huge dairy farm near Ashland. My first official job. I still need to fill out a form of sorts, but I was informed today that I was a shoe in. I'll be having the early morning shift...around 5:00 AM...and I'll be most likely milking the cows.

Now, I know working at a dairy farm isn't exactly the greatest, but considering the lack of jobs around and the fact that this is only temporary (I plan to use a good deal of the money I earn for college), I'm very grateful for the opportunity.

~ABOMINATION~
Nice to see you join the farming club. If you have any questions about farming that you are afraid to ask your boss, you can ask me. I've spent my entire life on the farm, so I know the ins and outs.

IMO, milking is perhaps the worst part about a dairy farm. You get covered in cow poop everyday, the cows are always stupid about something, and it's very boring. IMO the nicest and most calm part about a dairy farm is feeding hay, water, and grain to the cattle and calves.

MEgaSilver
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Anyway, favorite parts:

Worst parts:

I know exactly what you mean man. Get used to the cow poop on you. Soon enough you'll get in in your hair, stain your clothes, and eventually you won't notice the smell.

Oh, and btw, let me know how your first calf pull goes. I hope you don't mind blood.

And, you might as well buy some good boots for yourself. Don't go cheapo either; their is some I had that lasted only one day before holes got in them. You don't want cow poop and pee to seep into your feet. I suggest the Northern brand.

MegaSilver
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
That just seems wrong for a 7+ hour shift...

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
That's true. When we even have hired hands we usually give them 1-2 hours.

For us, this is their work schedule: (This is Central time)
~ 6-10 AM is morning milking.
~ 1-4 PM they come back to do afternoon work between milkings.
~ 4- 5:30 PM they get to have dinner time.
~ 5:30 to 8:30 PM is evening/night milking

Of course everyday we get done at slightly different times, hence the ~

MegaSilver
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Still have mostly fond memories of my first "real" job.
I don't. Fast food sucks.

But my ice cream parlor is rather nice, I love that one!
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Lol, I'm sure it's longer, but I just ate my lunch and went back to work. I'm guessing that's happened to almost everyone on their first day; want to make a good impression by getting right back to work. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could take a longer lunch break.

Thanks for the advice on boots, Megasilver! I'll try and buy a pair, but I just might take my dad's boots and use those instead for awhile. Very nice quality, the only problem is he might not let me use them...

As for calves and such, I don't know if I'll be doing any of that, since it looks like I'm the one who has to milk the cows with another person.

After I left, I noticed also that I forgot to check out when I left. I'll have to straighten that out tomorrow.
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:

God I hate cows. I can't stead working with them. Any animal too stupid to lift it's tail when it poops deserves to be food. I sympathize with your dealings with them.
Funny, my grandfather had a dairy and we loved it. Nothing like ice-cold milk on a 95° Florida summer afternoon! And since my dad raised cattle also, you just got used to them.

What we couldn't stand were pig and chicken farms... UGH!!!

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Chilly Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Funny, my grandfather had a dairy and we loved it. Nothing like ice-cold milk on a 95° Florida summer afternoon! And since my dad raised cattle also, you just got used to them.

What we couldn't stand were pig and chicken farms... UGH!!!
Cows just are so dumb, it's funny. They just look at you with those bland expressions and won't move unless you slap them on the rump.

Chickens...chickens are smart birds. I've lost track of how many times they've been able to find a small hole in the mesh that is on top of the fence and escape to the flower gardens to eat seeds, much to my mom's chagrin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General