Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: How well did Wizards of the Coast handle HS? (Waves 9-13)
They did better than Hasbro 1 1.67%
They did about the same as Hasbro 15 25.00%
It was better than canceling HS altogether, but still bad 36 60.00%
It was terrible and should never have happened 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker
Opinion on WotC: Poll

First of all, I am not asking your opinion on Wizards of the Coast's other products like Magic and DnD. I just want to know what people think of WotC's Heroscape; the general consensus I've seen is that people didn't like it.

My opinion was at first negative, but then I realized WotC actually did a pretty good job, given the circumstances. They produced some cool figures, like Warforged soldiers, greenscales, Hydra, PKs, pretty much all of wave 9. What initially made me groan was that HS figures would be repaints of DnD ones, but when I heard that this was a genious marketing move, and the only other option would be to cancel the game entirely... I thought, "heck, this is better than nothing." And at least WotC took the time to repaint the DnD figures to set them apart from their original versions; it would have been just as easy to use the exact figures.

The only other problem I had with WotC's changes were uncommon heroes. I still don't like the idea of having to mark a specific hero with a sticker. But then I realized they did this so that they could package squads and heroes in the same pack, making the packs more diverse.

Despite the above reasons, I do miss the historical figures, like Romans, 4th Mass, etc, and the thematic ones, like soulborgs and Marros. In general, WotC kinda gave up on basically all original figure classes and themes that Hasbro had created. However, because the figures were DnD repaints, I guess they had no other choice. They also abandoned pretty much the whole storyline and stopped making bios for their figures, which was easily within their power to avoid.

So, overall, though WotC's reign was short-lived and (according to basically everyone) not as good as Hasbro's, I believe they handeled Heroscape fairly well. Just my 2 cents. What do you guys think?

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez

Last edited by TheExplodingCheez; September 9th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Re: Opinion on WotC: Poll

I think dnd figures had some really creative mechanics, and I'm glad for that. I, like most others, disliked the discontinuation of the story for the most part, but the scenarios that were made are some of the best, imo, and included plenty of backstory.

I think WotC did a fantastic job with 'scape for what they had available. It just came at a bad time- Wave 9 was probably one of the best classic waves ever and WotC couldn't continue that.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker

I agree, they did great considering the timing. was wave 9 hasbro or wotc? I thought it was wotc

~TheCheez
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplodingCheez View Post
I agree, they did great considering the timing. was wave 9 hasbro or wotc? I thought it was wotc
I'm pretty sure it was Hasbro. Everything WotC did were reused sculpts.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
ok, thanks. the reason I thought it was wotc is because I went on hasbro's official HS site, and it only went up to wave 8. I'll change the OP.

~TheCheez
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:28 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I personally think that Wotc wasn't the same as Hasbro, but it was good in different ways.

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwidje View Post
I personally think that Wotc wasn't the same as Hasbro, but it was good in different ways.
I think I'll add that as an option
edit: oh wait, can you add poll options: D:

~TheCheez
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
ok, thanks. the reason I thought it was wotc is because I went on hasbro's official HS site, and it only went up to wave 8. I'll change the OP.
WotC was in charge of Wave 9. That was their first wave, and then they switched over to DnD.

truth does have the bios written up for all/most the figures released (including Wave 9) but WotC never allowed him to release it.

Uncommon heroes were a great idea by the Designers (don't say WotC did anything, they only told the Designer was minis they HAD to use). The only issue would be that most of them cannot be used more than once anyway; but given the circumstances they really couldn't help it.

I really don't know if we need another thread to talk about this... I'm tired of this talk about WotC honestly.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM

is there another thread like this? I know this is kind of beating a dead horse, but I searched "Wizards of the coast" and found no such similar thread
edit: I also searched "wotc" and there were no polls on this topic, at least

~TheCheez

Last edited by TheExplodingCheez; September 9th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:41 PM

and in regards to your post, I realize the designers were in charge of it, but they still essentially shifted their work over to WotC. Basically what I'm asking is how did HS compare under wotc to under hasbro, not really who was in charge of what
edit: oops double post my bad

~TheCheez
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
is there another thread like this? I know this is kind of beating a dead horse, but I searched "Wizards of the coast" and found no such similar thread
Better off to search "WotC." Titles are often short-handed.

A lot of this discussion happened right after the cancellation; which I was around to hear about. (Yes I know you were not.) And every now and against someone starts another rant thread.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM

haha yeah I guess this could be considered a rant I did mainly just want to throw my opinion out there, as it seems like most people disagree with it

~TheCheez

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion