Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: The best 525 point army

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
My try:

Silver Surfer: 320
Kelda: 80
Rats x3: 120
Total 520pts, 14 hexes.

Had I been able to make it I was going to give the Surfer/Kelda combination a spin at Rise of the Huskies. Once points get up around 500 or so, I think it can be pretty lethal. (Obviously, fast strikers and insant killers are a big risk: Hulk, Braxas,...)
That's true. Another real risk is that you face a squad based army that just ignores the surfer, methodically cuts its way through the rats, kills Kelda, and only then settles in on cornering SS to take him down. Your single attack per order marker can really come back to bite you against some armies.
Indeed. In fact that's the strategy I was expecting to be facing. If anyone wants to attack Surfer first (unless they have some real heavy hitters) they're welcome to. Otherwise, they'll be wading across the board, spreading themselves very thinly to head for Kelda in the back of the start zone. I'm figuring that to be at least a couple of rounds, and probably four or more unless I'm facing fast ranged units that deal well with rats, of easy pickings for the Surfer.

Last edited by ollie; April 3rd, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom View Post
The only downsides are a lack of any kind of special attack and a lack of a dependable Q9/Marvel counter (especially if they have Raelin and/or rats with them). In my experience Rats own both the knights and the 4th, so they clog this army up like no other. I tried it out a few weeks ago in preparation for the tourney and it worked pretty well, though. It's really a 507.5 pt. army because of the one squaddie you have to drop (and the fractional scoring format), but I don't think you're really losing too much there. If we only had that 5 extra points...
Giving up 17 points per game that way could really mount (potentially 119 in this event).
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
Another army that could work is a Roman Legionnaire based army.
Roman Legionnaires x 3 150
MDG 250
MBS 300

Add your favorite ranged figures (dragons, stingers, KMA, KA, ...) to counter the 4th Mass.
Actually, with that one, just add Captain America (this 525 point total is for an upcoming tournament in Vancouver which is Marvel-Inclusive), and you've got one heck of an army. Since Cap is a soldier, he can get extra move and attack from Marcus... nice!
Hmm.. how about:

Roman Legos x2 100
NGS 190
MDG 290
CapAp 510
Isamu 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

[quote=Bahde;788233]
Quote:
Giving up 17 points per game that way could really mount (potentially 119 in this event).
That's a VERY good point. I don't think I'd be willing to drop a figure in this tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post

Hmm.. how about:

Roman Legos x2 100
NGS 190
MDG 290
CapAp 510
Isamu 520
I like it! NGS would do well in a tournament where there are bound to be more high-cost, high-attack unique heroes than normal. The only downside is that it would play so differently from the original army. MBS adds much needed speed and range, so that you always (between him bonding with the Romans and Cap) have the option of making a ranged attack, no matter who the order marker is on. Also, with fewer Romans, it means that you not only have to protect them that much more, but that they're harder to keep in a decent shield wall formation. Still, the additions of NGS and Isamu, not to mention the boosts Marcus gives to Cap make this pretty formidable. Must try it.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

And going with the soldier motif, there's always:

CapAp 220
Raelin 300
3x 10th 525

But I've been testing most of these and 4th/Knights/Gilbert seems to be the best so far.

Quote:
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My try:

Total 520pts, 14 hexes.

Had I been able to make it I was going to give the Surfer/Kelda combination a spin at Rise of the Huskies. Once points get up around 500 or so, I think it can be pretty lethal. (Obviously, fast strikers and insant killers are a big risk: Hulk, Braxas,...)
That's true. Another real risk is that you face a squad based army that just ignores the surfer, methodically cuts its way through the rats, kills Kelda, and only then settles in on cornering SS to take him down. Your single attack per order marker can really come back to bite you against some armies.
Indeed. In fact that's the strategy I was expecting to be facing. If anyone wants to attack Surfer first (unless they have some real heavy hitters) they're welcome to. Otherwise, they'll be wading across the board, spreading themselves very thinly to head for Kelda in the back of the start zone. I'm figuring that to be at least a couple of rounds, and probably four or more unless I'm facing fast ranged units that deal well with rats, of easy pickings for the Surfer.
True. It's a very matchup-dependent army. One point in your favor is that most of the top-notch rat-disposal figures (Q9, Q10, Braxas, Nilfheim, Kaemon Awa) are exactly the sorts of figures you'd like to target with a cosmic force blast. (Well, not Braxas - Braxas you swarm with rats and hit and run.)

Various squad armies would have varying degrees of difficulty in getting to Kelda. Knights/Romans would probably have the worst time, because they probably only get 2 or 3 attacks per order marker (including the champion/warlord) before the rest of the rats scatter away. On a long map, their heroes will probably be dead before they get to Kelda. Gruts, on the other hand, disengage right on by and make short work of the Kyrie. The ranged squads lie somewhere in between those extremes. Glads&Blasts are a very tough matchup, because once the surfer gets cyberclawed, you may as well give up. You have to play VERY cautiously.

A zombie player would probably be content to just kill rats and bring back zombies. That would be a funny match to watch.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My try:

Total 520pts, 14 hexes.
That's true. Another real risk is that you face a squad based army that just ignores the surfer, methodically cuts its way through the rats, kills Kelda, and only then settles in on cornering SS to take him down.
Is Kelda even worth it in that army? I think SS + 5 Rats might be a better choice.

And Dok mentioned a zombie army... I'm having trouble finding a good zombie army for the point total. I was thinking Raelin + KMA to bring the enemy closer and then filling up with zombies but am having trouble getting a good 525 point build.

Quote:
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
And Dok mentioned a zombie army... I'm having trouble finding a good zombie army for the point total. I was thinking Raelin + KMA to bring the enemy closer and then filling up with zombies but am having trouble getting a good 525 point build.
Could go Krav - Zombies x7....

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Yes, or Krav, Zombies x5, SotM Raelin.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oooohhh... way, way better.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think I'd rather have old Raelin and a squad of roborats than SotM Raelin.

Quote:
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think I'd rather have old Raelin and a squad of roborats than SotM Raelin.
I like SotM Raelin here with all those Zombies. Remember, you're moving 6 Zombies per turn - there are going to be a lot of them clumped up together. Probably more than Old Raelin can keep under her aura. Plus, the Krav are just fine with 4 defense.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion