Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The best 525 point army

Another army that could work is a Roman Legionnaire based army.
Roman Legionnaires x 3 150
MDG 250
MBS 300

Add your favorite ranged figures (dragons, stingers, KMA, KA, ...) to counter the 4th Mass.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
MDG 250
MBS 300

Add your favorite ranged figures (dragons, stingers, KMA, KA, ...) to counter the 4th Mass.
Actually, with that one, just add Captain America (this 525 point total is for an upcoming tournament in Vancouver which is Marvel-Inclusive), and you've got one heck of an army. Since Cap is a soldier, he can get extra move and attack from Marcus... nice!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

That is very cool. Range, a special, and a Q9 answer all in one! I don't think I had ever thought of doing that. (I'm starting to wonder if he should be an A+... maybe he won't be just because we don't have enough tourney results/use to justify it)?

I don't really like Marvel that much, but I do like Cap. The Romans would probably play like the Knights or Deathreavers usually do for Nilfheim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Cap really should be A+. He does it all, and all of it well. I only wish I had more than two squads of Romans to make the army happen! I still have no idea what I'm bringing to this tournament.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom View Post
Cap really should be A+. He does it all, and all of it well.
Yeah, when I compare him to other figures, it's sort of silly.

He's like Charos, but for 10 more points I get the specials of Nilfheim, MDG/Finn, and Thorgrim? And one more defense and attack? OK, I give up some wounds, size, and flying... but still.

He's like Nilfheim, except the specials of MDG/Finn, Thorgrim, Charos, and some extra defense. Again, giving up size and flying... but still.

Yeah, he's basically awesome.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
MDG 250
MBS 300

Actually, with that one, just add Captain America (this 525 point total is for an upcoming tournament in Vancouver which is Marvel-Inclusive), and you've got one heck of an army. Since Cap is a soldier, he can get extra move and attack from Marcus... nice!
I thought about Cap, but I usually don't mix Marvel. It would make a great army.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

My try:

Silver Surfer: 320
Kelda: 80
Rats x3: 120
Total 520pts, 14 hexes.

Had I been able to make it I was going to give the Surfer/Kelda combination a spin at Rise of the Huskies. Once points get up around 500 or so, I think it can be pretty lethal. (Obviously, fast strikers and insant killers are a big risk: Hulk, Braxas,...)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
My try:

Silver Surfer: 320
Kelda: 80
Rats x3: 120
Total 520pts, 14 hexes.

Had I been able to make it I was going to give the Surfer/Kelda combination a spin at Rise of the Huskies. Once points get up around 500 or so, I think it can be pretty lethal. (Obviously, fast strikers and insant killers are a big risk: Hulk, Braxas,...)
That's true. Another real risk is that you face a squad based army that just ignores the surfer, methodically cuts its way through the rats, kills Kelda, and only then settles in on cornering SS to take him down. Your single attack per order marker can really come back to bite you against some armies.

Still, this build could be shockingly effective on the right map against an opponent with several key support heroes. Kill Raelin, go back and heal, kill Laglor, go back and heal, kill some KMA, go back and heal...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM

How about a samurai defense based army...
Izumi 60
Tagawa 180
Kozuke 280
Raelin1 360
KMA 460
MW 510
Isamu 520

With this army, huddle the samurai around the KMA and Raelin. Let the KMA shoot forcing the opposing army to engage the samurai. With the samurai's defense boosted by Raelin, I think that we'd see lots of dead knights due to counterstrike. If the 4th start sniping from range, use the KMA's better range to take them out. Use the Kozuke to try to take out Gilbert. MW and Isamu would be cleanup.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I like:

Glads x4 - 320
Blasts x2 - 440
Raelin - 520

and

Nilfheim - 185
Q10 - 335
Zetacron - 395
Isamu - 405
Deathreavers x3 - 525

EDIT: The second one is probably better against Kow/4th.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

After Fomox kept talking about Braxas and rats, One build I'd kind of like to try is a Nilfheim/Braxas/Rats army:

Nilfheim 185
Braxas 395
3x Deathreavers 515
Isamu 525

I like the way Nilfheim plays, and Braxas plays similarly. I'd think it would do rather well against trons and Mass, but maybe have trouble against a pure Stinger army. Mixed Stingers/rats would likely be better for the Dragons.

Q9 would probably be a pain because he can kill rats and is tough to kill, but his supporting cast: Laglor, Raelin, KMA, and even Deathreavers are all Braxas fodder. Between the two dragons, you probably ought to be able to beat Q9 down, hopefully.

killercactus, who do you think would win a matchup between the two armies you listed? My gut feeling is about 50/50 in general, but the map could have a pretty big effect, as could how well both armies are played. That'd be a cool game to watch or play, but it probably wouldn't finish in an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
killercactus, who do you think would win a matchup between the two armies you listed? My gut feeling is about 50/50 in general, but the map could have a pretty big effect, as could how well both armies are played. That'd be a cool game to watch or play, but it probably wouldn't finish in an hour.
Trust me - I've thought about that quite a lot.

I think it's a toss-up. If two equal players played it out on a map that didn't favor one or the other, its probably 50/50.

If it's spider_poison vs. me at GenCon 2008 (if I would've Scattered my rat to the right place and found a way to beat Lonewolf), spider_poison probably wins. He's better than me, and I've historically performed poorly against Trons.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion