Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Notices

Old May 8th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: X Minus 2 Customs Card Printer

Yes, I have that listed in the planned features in the OP. Two problems blocking implementation now: 1) I haven't written code to provide a good way to let people select both sides at once. 2) I'll probably need to be able let users calculate an appropriate X,Y offset to compensate for a front/back paper shift for their printer. Those two things delay a quality implementation of 2-sided printing.

But if you just want a quick 'n' dirty solution, let me know. I could roll that out now. I can make it so that cards are always arranged as if you're printing 2-sided. (As you say, inverting the > shaped layout of the cards to a < shape on even pages). If printing 2-sided, that's the layout you need, and if printing 1-sided it doesn't matter. For this solution, you would manually have to make every third card be the appropriate card back. Annoying but doable. For example, add cards to print in this order: Batman (comic), Spiderman (comic), Fat Ninja (comic), Batman (mini), Spiderman (mini), Fat Ninja (mini). Tell your printer to print 2-sided and you're done.

Related to two-sided prints, I also plan to steal borrow i_r_beej's neat 2-sided printing idea. While it uses more paper, it allows for always-lined-up two-sided cards AND helps cope with paper thickness issues. It does those things in theory, at least--I haven't tried it out yet.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:11 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

It would be pretty sweet if I could print C3G cards on one side & HoSS cards on the reverse. I won't be mixing the two so I'd only ever need one side or the other at any one given time. Of course organizing them would prove difficult as only one side could be correctly grouped together while the other side would be random.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:25 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Yes, I have that listed in the planned features in the OP. Two problems blocking implementation now: 1) I haven't written code to provide a good way to let people select both sides at once. 2) I'll probably need to be able let users calculate an appropriate X,Y offset to compensate for a front/back paper shift for their printer. Those two things delay a quality implementation of 2-sided printing.

But if you just want a quick 'n' dirty solution, let me know. I could roll that out now. I can make it so that cards are always arranged as if you're printing 2-sided. (As you say, inverting the > shaped layout of the cards to a < shape on even pages). If printing 2-sided, that's the layout you need, and if printing 1-sided it doesn't matter. For this solution, you would manually have to make every third card be the appropriate card back. Annoying but doable. For example, add cards to print in this order: Batman (comic), Spiderman (comic), Fat Ninja (comic), Batman (mini), Spiderman (mini), Fat Ninja (mini). Tell your printer to print 2-sided and you're done.

Related to two-sided prints, I also plan to steal borrow i_r_beej's neat 2-sided printing idea. While it uses more paper, it allows for always-lined-up two-sided cards AND helps cope with paper thickness issues. It does those things in theory, at least--I haven't tried it out yet.
If some (ahem) custom project had card backs that were oversized to allow for printer mismatch, then the quick and dirty solution would probably work.

Last edited by Porkins; May 8th, 2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Especially if said custom project were planning a release soon and people wanted to print a bunch of cards 3 to a page.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:32 PM

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Also, what is l_r_beej's 2-sided printing idea?
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
It would be pretty sweet if I could print C3G cards on one side & HoSS cards on the reverse. I won't be mixing the two so I'd only ever need one side or the other at any one given time. Of course organizing them would prove difficult as only one side could be correctly grouped together while the other side would be random.
Alright then, I'll write the minimal amount code needed for the quick 'n' dirty solution and people can play around with it. Stay tuned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
If some (ahem) custom project had card backs that were oversized to allow for printer mismatch, then the quick and dirty solution would probably work.
Well, that would involve getting said cards added to the software then, huh?

And actually, come to think of it, I'll have to do a bit of code to support oversize card backs (something I've been meaning to fix anyway). Right now the system assumes cards are cards and will squish the card backs down to fit in a standard card space. What it should do, instead, is assume card images are 300dpi and let them take up the space they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Also, what is l_r_beej's 2-sided printing idea?
Hopefully I can explain it well here.

To make one double-sided card you have to use a whole sheet of paper. How it works is the software would layout the front and back of a card, side-by-side, in a landscape orientation on the front side of a sheet of paper. Exactly halfway between the front and back card image the software adds a dotted fold line. Print out the page on cardstock (note that nothing is printed on the back), spray some adhesive on the back side and carefully fold the paper along the fold line. Wait for the adhesive to dry and cut. Viola, a double thick, double-sided card.

Here's an attempt at an image for this. Pretend Heroscape cards are hex shaped and the big rectangle is a sheet of paper. The dots down the middle represent the printed fold line:

Code:
+---------------------------------------------+
|                                             |
|                      :                      |
|       ________       :       ________       |
|      /        \      :      /        \      |
|     /          \     :     /          \     |
|    /    CARD    \    :    /    CARD    \    |
|    \   FRONT    /    :    \    BACK    /    |
|     \          /     :     \          /     |
|      \________/      :      \________/      |
|                                             |
+---------------------------------------------+

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; May 8th, 2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added "image"
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Actually, I don't think I would print C3G cards on one side and HoSS on the other. It would make it hard to sell or trade off one or the other should I ever decide to do so. I'm just happy to be printing 3 to a page once again.
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Well, that would involve getting said cards added to the software then, huh?
Yes, that is something that said custom project should work on.
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:37 PM
C3G Landlord

I'm not seeing the glyph decal when printing out the glyph cards.
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM
C3G Landlord

It looks like I must have done something wrong but don't have time to figure it out right now. Printed out just 3 cards using regular paper on the home printer for a game day tomorrow. Everything looked great on the print preview but when I printed the very bottom corners of the 3rd card printed out on a 2nd page. Also the right edge of the 2nd one did not print out. Both were such minor trimmings that it is no big deal at all for these quick disposable cards, but before I print out 45 cards on card stock I better figure out what I did wrong.
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Super Smurfy

Let me know if you figure something out. If there's a problem on my end, I definitely want to fix it. Which browser are you using?

Just a guess, but if you peek at Firefox's print setup screen right before printing, bad things can happen. If you do need to adjust those things in Firefox, it's best to set things up as you need on that screen, close it, close print preview, and then reopen print preview and see if everything looks OK. You can then print from print preview.

I've been following a couple of bugs in Firefox and they will eventually get there where printing is more seamless.

You're right about the glyph decal. Anybody know how Snappleman handled them? Did he just print them next to the card like markers do? Is that the way I should go about it or should it go on a different sheet because you might want to use different stock? Both?

Old May 9th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

I think a separate sheet for the glyph decals would be the best. I did that for my C3G glyphs so I could print them on a sheet of sticker paper.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:04 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
You're right about the glyph decal. Anybody know how Snappleman handled them? Did he just print them next to the card like markers do? Is that the way I should go about it or should it go on a different sheet because you might want to use different stock? Both?
This...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
I think a separate sheet for the glyph decals would be the best. I did that for my C3G glyphs so I could print them on a sheet of sticker paper.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software