Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape
C3G SuperScape A Place to gather C3G threads without interfering with other Marvel Customs creation

Notices

Old April 11th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: The C3G Cave - Hangout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollBrute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Quote:
Like I said though, living where I live doesn't give me an option. It's digital or trade-wait, and there's something I like about reading monthly, at least for certain books.
Yeah, reading format makes a big difference. My go-to example there is Ultimate Spider-Man, which is a great binge read, but I suspect I would have been annoyed reading it as it came out, even on a bi-weekly schedule.
Funny you should mention USM. I'm currently on a read-through of the entire Ultimate Universe, in mostly chronological order. I've read about 70 issues of Spider-Man so far, and it's a really fun read. It's easily the highlight of the Ultimate Universe. Warren Ellis's Fantastic Four is super fun too, but that's only 12 issues.
Oh yeah, Ultimate Spider-Man is the gem in that rough. Some of Ultimate X-Men is really good, as is most of Warren Ellis's Ultimate-set stuff. Ultimate Spidey is so good that it's the definitive version of the character to a lot of people.
Old April 11th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I did a (slightly truncated) Ultimate readthrough last year myself. Ultimates, Spider-Man, some Fantastic Four, some X-Men, most of the events... honestly, even at its worst, there was always some good stuff there. Ultimatum was a train wreck, but even after that I think they had an opportunity to make a really fresh, interesting universe. But they never really gave it the talent or attention it deserved - taking Hickman out of the captain's chair was really the final nail in the coffin.

But yeah, Ultimate Spider-Man is absolutely perfect. I'm hoping beyond hope that the MCU version draws HEAVILY on it... it's pretty much a blueprint of how to write a Spider-Man story that's well-integrated into a wider universe.
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I read Ultimate Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic 4 two summers ago and enjoyed them all. (I only read the first 6-ish issues of each, as that's all my library had.) Since I primarily read DC those were nice origin stories for many of the characters. The Ultimates was really odd though; I felt like they took too many liberties with the characters.
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Some of Ultimate X-Men is really good, as is most of Warren Ellis's Ultimate-set stuff.
I've read the first 65 issues so far and as a big X-Men fan, I find most of the Ultimate X-Men stuff a little lackluster. Most of that comes from not liking Mark Millar's work and him being such a guiding hand for the early part of the book though. Bendis's few issues are okay. Brian K. Vaughan's stuff is more interesting. He manages to make them feel like actual teens and succeeds in making me care for the characters more.

I have already read some of the later Ultimate Comics: X-Men stuff as well, and that gets really interesting. A very cool alternate take. So I'm excited to see it get to that point, even if that means going through Ultimatum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
Yeah, I did a (slightly truncated) Ultimate readthrough last year myself. Ultimates, Spider-Man, some Fantastic Four, some X-Men, most of the events... honestly, even at its worst, there was always some good stuff there.
I take it you haven't read Ultimate Iron Man by Orson Scott Card. I also found the Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra miniseries to be very average, despite the creative team. Not bad, just not adding anything new.

For the most part though, there are a lot of interesting things in the Ultimate books. I just wish Warren Ellis had been a part of the founding creative team. His work on the Ultimate line is great. New, fresh, and above all, fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
But yeah, Ultimate Spider-Man is absolutely perfect. I'm hoping beyond hope that the MCU version draws HEAVILY on it... it's pretty much a blueprint of how to write a Spider-Man story that's well-integrated into a wider universe.
I think that largely comes because the rest of the universe spun out of Spider-Man. Mark Millar had X-Men and Ultimates, but the Ultimate universe is largely Bendis's baby for the first few years. But yeah, it's not hard to see why Ultimate Spider-Man is so iconic. Having not read a lot of other Spider-Man books previously, it'll be hard for me to shake the sense that Ultimate Spidey is not the Spider-Man.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:53 PM

Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I wish I had a local comic store but, living out in the boonies as I am, the closest one is about an hour away, and not in a direction I go very often. I've been buying digital for years now and have totally adjusted. I actually like reading floppies in a digital format. I can but on my time, there are no ads, costs are often cheaper, and (best of all) I don't have to find a place to store them. Still prefer reading trades and GNs in physical format.

Quote:
Also picked up a few stray issues of Rucka's second Detective Comics run, starring Batwoman. Really liked the character in 52, and Rucka + J.H. Williams III is a no-brainer.
I haven't read beyond Rucka's run, but his Batwoman stuff is fun. Of course, Williams's art makes it so much better.
The thing that sucks is technically you don't "own" that digital copy. and another cool thing is when you buy the hard copy you get the digital free. The main story is expensive, the tie-ins are like 3 bucks.

Old April 11th, 2016, 11:16 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Ok so Ultimate Spider-man (2000-2009) or Ultimate Comic Spider-man (2009-2012) ? I may need to check it out and want to make sure I'm looking for what you guys are talking about. Also what's the "rating" on these as far as language?

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:46 PM

Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Ok so Ultimate Spider-man (2000-2009) or Ultimate Comic Spider-man (2009-2012) ? I may need to check it out and want to make sure I'm looking for what you guys are talking about. Also what's the "rating" on these as far as language?
14+ teen?

Old April 12th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

The 2009 volume is a continuation of the 2000 volume. It's been too long for me to make a judgment call on the language, but I know it's nothing extreme. Some of the Ultimate comics get pretty vulgar, but Ultimate Spider-Man doesn't.
Old April 12th, 2016, 01:34 AM

if any one has AoS #3, Howling commandos. or Cap Sam Wilson, I have a pay pal and will be willing to over pay to get these back dated sets. also if anyone sees power man and iron fist in stores, #1 and #2 please pick up one for me.

Old April 12th, 2016, 08:57 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
The 2009 volume is a continuation of the 2000 volume. It's been too long for me to make a judgment call on the language, but I know it's nothing extreme. Some of the Ultimate comics get pretty vulgar, but Ultimate Spider-Man doesn't.
Did more looking into it and I realized my mistake...I meant the 2011 version which I see is Miles Spider so I am set and may start acquiring the Trades for the 2000 series up.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 12th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Ultimate Spider-Man is incredibly easy to follow - unlike most series, you can pretty much read straight on through. The only exception is Ultimate Six, but that's collected in the trades as part of USM. It was super refreshing; you don't see those sorts of long, uninterrupted, relatively tie-in free comics nowadays.

So yeah, I'd strongly recommend just grabbing the trades in order. Easy, simple, and some of the best Spider-Man stories ever. It only ever gets messy once you hit Ultimatum (Vol. 22).
Old April 12th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Did more looking into it and I realized my mistake...I meant the 2011 version which I see is Miles Spider so I am set and may start acquiring the Trades for the 2000 series up.
Yeah, it's the 2000-2009 run before it switches to Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 (2009-2011), which ran for 15 issues before switching back to the original numbering in 2011. 11 issues later, it was replaced by Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, which follows Miles Morales. UC:S-M lasted 28 issues before being cancelled in time for the Cataclysm event. Following Cataclysm, Miles came back in Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man but only for 12 issues before Secret Wars ended the Ultimate Universe. Miles then got moved over to the 'main' 616 universe to star in Spider-Man. Confused yet?

To answer your questions, start with the 2000-2009 series. It's a reboot of Spider-Man, so it starts from his origins and is one long story. As far as rating, it's a book aimed at teens. Language is minor (hell and damn is probably the worst of it, and not very common), though there are plenty of grawlixes. There's plenty of teen romance in the book, but nothing above a light PG-13 rating.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape