Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

View Poll Results: Did You Vote This Election Day?
I am Registered, and I Voted! 35 50.00%
I am Registered, and I did NOT Vote. 4 5.71%
I am NOT Registered, and I did NOT Vote. 13 18.57%
I am too Young to Vote. 13 18.57%
I Don't Live in the U.S., so I can't Vote there. 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Have you all seen the series of voter ads elderly-skewing periodicals and organizations like AARP have been running? I was at the doctor the other day and thus stuck reading old people magazines and I noticed the ads.

They're interesting....they tell you NOT to vote if you don't know the issues. I think it's called something catchy like "kNOw vote"

It's a good message I think, but one that has rarely been stated to the mainstream....lots of old people (my grandparents used to be on that list) bote blindly....they just march down to the polls and vote, without knowing a single thing about any of the candidates or issues. That's equal to not voting....might as well just stay home and save everyone's time.

With all the "Rock the Vote" type campagins out there, it's really refreshing to me to see someone start an ad campaign based on informed voting rather than blind "It's my duty!" drudgery.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Im not registered nor will i vote. the polls will be miss counted anyway and then the guy who tossed around the most money will be in office.
Both of these are true to some degree, but the people who do these things rely on voter apathy. It is a very important tool to them. The fewer people vote, the easier it is to manipulate the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by django
i believe this also keeps me out of jury duty another thing i do not wish to participate in i cant judge someone i do not know i also do not know the guy thats trying to get in office so to me either way someones gonna get screwed.
You should look into why, historically, our legal system gives us the right to trial by jury by our peers and how fundamentally important this is. It might change your opinion on this obligation you have toward the society that gives you so much in return.
I've never been called up for actual jury duty. There's sort of a weird loophole where I live.....I live in let's call it Town A.

Town A is in Town B township, yet I'm on the mailing list for Town A Township, and thus when I get it I never have to go because I don't live in Town A Township. Town B Township thinks I live in Town A Township, so they never call me up either. It's a weird little lost overlap that my neighbors and I enjoy immensely.

I'm not knocking jury duty, it would just be difficult for me to do and be able to work freelance as I do and travel around a lot. If I had a typical 9 to 5 I'd be happy to go and would inform my local townships of their errors. A paid day off? Great!

The only times I would scramble like mad to get out of jury duty would be if I knew it was going to be a long sequester the jury type case that pretty much ruins your whole world for weeks on end. Then I'd be working my best to get out of it. Ditto for a capital punishment case....I believe in the death penalty for certain crimes, but I would never vote for it myself (good old catholic guilt!)....thus I would know that I'd drag out the whole process and should probably find a way to excuse myself by telling the judge that during the selection process....even if I thought they were guilty as sin I'd vote not guilty because I'm not going to be the one that kills somebody. My two cents.
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Too young, can't vote.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Actually, voting uniformed is much WORSE than not voting, since you are more likely influenced by

a) whoever's the incumbent, regardless of worth.

b) whichever side spent the most on their campaign.

Not voting is not a crime, and it's not a shirking of your citezen responsibilities.
Voting when uniformed is more of a slap in the face to the citizenry, IMO.
And remember - you don't have to vote for every race - just vote for the ones you know something about.
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:51 PM

bushi96 has disabled reputation
I vote. If nothing more than to cancel out some liberal hippy's vote out there. It helps me sleep at night.

"I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are"
~G. Marx~
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
I cast Magic Missile!

...oh wait...

Um, I'm heading out the door to vote now! I'll vote in THIS poll when I get back
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I voted. If you're concerned about being an uninformed voter, check out the League of Women Voters. They usually have a very informative (and non-partisan) list of who and what is on the ballot. I check them every time before I vote - it's great to know who you're picking for governor, but it can be tough to figure out who you want for district judge, and ironically, that person is going to have a lot more influence over your life.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
I voted as did my wife.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:19 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Admin

Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
^^^^^^^^ What he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar

Recent Games Played:
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:00 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Good job OOg, now where the heck have you been???????
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
I voted three times today. No I didn't hack the voting machine, I voted in the cave, at the local elementary school and in this poll.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General