Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 1st, 2017, 01:08 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post

Imperial Assault is basically the same game, if it is the theme of Descent that is the issue.
It's not the theme, but the time commitment and amount of rules and such. My sister is more of a lightweight game or party game person, so my brother in law's being overly ambitious in what he wants, vs what my sister would want.

My brother in law has been into Heroscape as long as me, though he has played it more recently than me, as my 14 year old niece and 21 year old nephew would play. But with my nephew mostly away or too busy, my brother in law is looking for something else with them and action for he, my sister and niece to play. He'll just have to look harder for some lighter games that doest require a lot of time or rules.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Ill second that imperial assault is basically a star wars version of descent. However. Imperial assault has a multiplayer skirmish mode on top of the campaign. That aspect seals the deal for me. I love the skirmish mode and would pick up descent if it also had a skirmish mode.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:29 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

Imperial Assault is basically the same game, if it is the theme of Descent that is the issue.
It's not the theme, but the time commitment and amount of rules and such. My sister is more of a lightweight game or party game person, so my brother in law's being overly ambitious in what he wants, vs what my sister would want.

My brother in law has been into Heroscape as long as me, though he has played it more recently than me, as my 14 year old niece and 21 year old nephew would play. But with my nephew mostly away or too busy, my brother in law is looking for something else with them and action for he, my sister and niece to play. He'll just have to look harder for some lighter games that doest require a lot of time or rules.
Something like Mice and Mystics? Pretty straight forward rule set, 100% co-operative and only about 60-90 min a chapter. Seems to go over well with a wide range of experience levels and you don't need a player dedicated to running the bad guys.
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Something like Mice and Mystics? Pretty straight forward rule set, 100% co-operative and only about 60-90 min a chapter. Seems to go over well with a wide range of experience levels and you don't need a player dedicated to running the bad guys.
I sold the base set and both expansions for M&M a couple months ago I just don't think my sister would dig that either, she's not a dungeon crawl type And the rules weren't so cut and dry, as there is some ambiguity here and there, but yeah, it's fairly light.

As it happens though, I texted her earlier today and she said my brother in law actually picked up Blood Rage. He played it with my 14 year old niece and nephew and they liked it. She hasn't played it yet but feels she will get roped into trying it. I don't know that she'll like it but will find out eventually. My nephew is back and forth from Purdue University, which is a little over an hour, so it wouldn't be as hard to set up this game on occasion for one off games, as opposed to campaign style games.

Old August 1st, 2017, 04:06 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I sold the base set and both expansions for M&M a couple months ago I just don't think my sister would dig that either, she's not a dungeon crawl type And the rules weren't so cut and dry, as there is some ambiguity here and there, but yeah, it's fairly light.

As it happens though, I texted her earlier today and she said my brother in law actually picked up Blood Rage. He played it with my 14 year old niece and nephew and they liked it. She hasn't played it yet but feels she will get roped into trying it. I don't know that she'll like it but will find out eventually. My nephew is back and forth from Purdue University, which is a little over an hour, so it wouldn't be as hard to set up this game on occasion for one off games, as opposed to campaign style games.
Well I hope they all can enjoy Blood Rage together. Discovering different people's sweet spots for games is a part of the hobby I really enjoy. It's fun to put a game in front of someone and see a light go on and watch as they smile in appreciation and enjoyment. It can also be frustrating to have the opposite happen, but it's more data for discovering the next hit.

My wife enjoys and is really good at engine building type games, and I'm on the fence on if she'll appreciate Scythe or not. She can handle heavier games and I feel like it's not an overly complex game once you see how it works and understand the actions/options available. I'm going to be trying it as a two player game for the first time later this week with a friend, so I'll see how that goes.
Old August 1st, 2017, 04:12 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
My wife enjoys and is really good at engine building type games, and I'm on the fence on if she'll appreciate Scythe or not. She can handle heavier games and I feel like it's not an overly complex game once you see how it works and understand the actions/options available. I'm going to be trying it as a two player game for the first time later this week with a friend, so I'll see how that goes.
Scythe is a fun 2-player game. My girlfriend and I have played a bunch of times now and we enjoy it. We tend to keep combat as a last resort - so we're mostly solving the puzzle of how best to use your actions. She thought I was really winning and then I told her she could get her last star by dropping 2 mechs onto the Factory to take out my solo mech. It was a bit of a strange concept that she'd go to combat - but it won her the game : ) I'm sure other Scythe players are more aggressive for combat, but it can be fun with 'light' combat action too.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:27 AM
Prickly Cactus

At Monday night game night, I played:

The Voyages of Marco Polo - I've had this one for a couple years and this is only the 3rd time playing it, but it was the first time winning. I love my large gaming group, but the only problem is that there are always new games that people bring that attract other players, as well as some "hot" games like Terraforming Mars is the hot game at the moment that gets played a lot, though I haven't tried it yet. But Marco Polo is a dice placement game, as well as resource management. You have five dice you roll at the start of the round and those values are what you will use for the round. There are several places to place the dice on the board, such as the market where you can get several different types of goods, a place to just get money, a place to get contracts that you can fulfill for VP's and other stuff, and there's a travel section that allows you to move your meeple certain number of spaces on the board for different costs. You have 2 secret route cards at the start of the game and can get VP's if you connect 2 of the cities on a card with buildings you place when stopping in locations. You also start with a character that gives you special abilities. Ultimately, you have to balance how much you travel with how many contracts you want to complete, as they both take resources, dice and time. Contracts require you to go to the market a lot to get various resources and you get VP's and some extra goods when completing them, plus the player with the most completed contracts gets 7VP's. Travelling can get you VP's from completing routes, or even having buildings on the cities on the routes, but you can also get benefits by having buildings on certain locations, as some give you an immediate bonus, while others give you an immediate bonus plus a beginning of round bonus, and there are others that give you an action space for a new action that is only available to people that have a building there. So there are different ways to try to get points to win, and sometimes your character ability will help steer you to one strategy more than another.

Lazer Riderz - If Tron and X-Wing had a lovechild, this would be it. You have 4 discs on the table that you are trying to get your movement templates to move through cleanly in order to take that disc and replace it with one of your color. The first player to get three of their color on the table wins. You start out blindly placing a starting prong shaped piece on the edge of your side of the table. Then on your turn, you will place an X-Wing type movement template on the table, extending from your starting point and then from the end of your existing template, as they stay on the table. You have the 1-5 straight pieces (several of each) and several 1-4 curved pieces. You also have a speed dial that goes from 1-5 and you can only alter your new speed (template length) by 1 either up or down. Going straight is easy, as you just place it at the end of your existing piece. Making a turn requires you to roll a d6 and you need to roll the number of the template speed you are using or higher. So the faster the turn the harder it is to complete. If you fail the roll, you end up going straight with that speed. If you roll a 6, you make the turn but you spin out and your speed is reduced to 1 for the next turn. If your template hits another player's line of templates, then all of yours are removed and you have to start again from the edge of the table, and the player you hit removes all of their templates behind the one you hit, and they continue as normal from their existing template. Kind of fun and wacky game, and it's totally retro packaged. Each player has their own box with their stuff and its like a VHS case box. The 4 VHS style boxes fit into an open ended box similar to what a boxed set of VHS movies used to come in.

Can't Stop - This is an older game that is the first time for me playing. It's a press your luck style game and is pretty fun. I won't go into details as I have to go, but people can check out the BGG link if they want to know about the game.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:39 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Hahma , Lazer Riderz, by Lovechild Games, Inc.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 03:42 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@Hahma , Lazer Riderz, by Lovechild Games, Inc.
Ha! Good one TREX

Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:39 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Blood Rage you say? Have you heard of this little known game called RISING SUN????

~Shades,who is just unbelievably pumped for it and is borderline obsessing.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:11 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan View Post
Blood Rage you say? Have you heard of this little known game called RISING SUN????

~Shades,who is just unbelievably pumped for it and is borderline obsessing.
Cant wait to get it either. Unfortunately its going to be awhile before they ship out all the pledges. Im still waiting on massive darkness which had a delivery date of april. Still stoked though.

Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:33 AM
Prickly Cactus

Finished the final character for our group playing Sword and Sorcery. There are still a ton of them that aren't getting painted because I'm only doing the ones the five of us chose. I do still have the Orc King boss, the doors and treasure chests, a wolf and the Bear form of my Shaman character.

This one is the chaos version of the knight, so he's in black armor and has red trim and eyes. Supposed to be a reddish glow around the edge of the sword, though it's not all that great. That's where an airbrush would help.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games