Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Quick Set-Up & Build Map Contest - BiggaBullfrog Won!

Quote:
Update: BiggaBullfrog's Hot Cross Buns won.
Download all maps in the downloads battlefields section here at http://www.heroscapers.com/community...o=file&id=2763.
I know there are a couple threads on Quick map set-ups, including TNT's one, but I wanted to look at the idea more in depth and ask for contributions from Valhalla cartographers. I am asking for entries by September 26, and then I will post a contest poll and I will buy you $12 of terrain or figures from a site sponsor or Auggies or one Lexan map from Cavalier's games. The more quick maps we have, the more games I can get in, especially with new people - which is why I am doing this. You can submit up to two maps, but they must use different sets.

The basic theory is that from a warm start it takes a couple minutes to open the boxes and dump things out and an minimum of 10 seconds per piece to look at the map and identify the next piece needed, look in the box and find and grab the piece, and snap the piece in place. So 30 pieces is 2 min + (30*10 seconds) = 7 min. In my experience, this is underestimating time as usually it takes me longer to figure out what piece I need next and find it, although dumping everything out in piles might speed it up, and a running start where everything is already gathered in one place helps. With a running start, having less pieces speeds up your time to find each piece as there is less to look through. Also, in my experience, 24-hexes are actually faster to both find and place than 1,2, or 3 hex pieces and I usually place them first (they are like the corner pieces and edges in a jigsaw puzzle). Please post if you disagree, as these times are just a theory, and if you have timed your builds, and can figure out the average time/piece + initial preparation time, let us know.

General Requirements
Competitive generally symmetrical 1v1 maps with 24 starting spaces, ideally also pleasing to the eye. Full symmetry is not required as long as the minimum move to the closest glyph, and closest high point are equal from each the starting zone. Each person may submit up to two maps, but they must use different sets.

Timeframe Restraints (the time it takes from opening the first box/bin to drafting/placing armies; Does NOT mean the time it took you to design the map, but time it would take others to build the map):
  • Cold Start: 10 min. Cold Start means that you have all your terrain in its original boxes, and you have a map printout that you never put together before.
  • Warm Start: 7 min. Warm start means you have your terrain separated by size and/or color/type in separate boxes/bins, and you have a map printout that you have put together recently at least once.
  • Running Start: 4 min. You have the exact terrain needed for a map in one box/bin and you have a map printout that you have put together multiple times.

Map Restraints:
  • Made from no more than 4 total sets (any combination of master and terrain expansion, even 4 master sets).
  • Made from no more than 2 of any one set (allows for 2 ROTV & 2 FOTA unlike BOV)
  • Contains 36 pieces or less, as defined below:
    • All land terrain each count as 1 piece no matter what size (1,2,3,7,24-hex, 5/6/7/9 road/marvel/wall walk all each count as 1 piece)
    • Water and half-height (0-level) terrain, ladder rungs, battlement - each two count as 1 piece.
    • Tree, Palm tree, Brush, ruin, bridge wall each count as 1 piece
    • Tundra, Rock Outcrop, Marro Hive each count as 2 pieces (with base).
    • Fortress wall (& base) uncapped count as 2 pieces, capped as 3 pieces.
    • Marvel Wall & Fortress Door count as 3 pieces (with base).
    • Glyphs and starting zone markers do not count as pieces.
    • Optional: A lexan map from Cav each counts as 2 pieces and all lexan maps you have collectively count as one of the 4 total sets.

Some suggestions (IMHO; not requirements):
  • Since you can use up to any 4 sets which could even be 4 master sets (max 2 of any one master set), I recommended at least 6 24 hex pieces to get a good base and 2nd layer.
  • Water and Swamp Water are good as I allow them 2-for-1 to double the hexes you can cover, but 3 or 7 hex pieces can cover even more ground. Use 1-hex and 2-hex pieces sparingly, and use empty spaces under layers when possible.
  • Do not make a completely flat map and also do not be afraid to use your pieces towards LOS blockers.
  • Make sure it takes 3 turns of move 6 (not counting flying) to get from one starting zone to another. If this means a narrow map, then that's OK. This map should not be exclusively for HOB style battles.
  • Follow other guidelines in my Cartography Philosophy.
  • Buildtest (& time build) & Playtest! Tweak as necessary, don't just build a map in VirtualScape and submit.

Poll A & Poll B - Voting ended Saturday October 9 at 8:40 PM!
Poll C - Voting ended October 20th, 2010 at 07:05 PM!
Poll C - Voting ended October 20th, 2010 at 07:05 PM!
Poll D - Final! - Voting ended on October 24th, 2010 at 07:35 PM

PDF Map Compilation Download

Last edited by lefton4ya; November 24th, 2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Final Poll
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:00 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Quick Set-Up & Build Map Contest

Map Posts: (In Order of Submission)

My example - 33 pieces, RotV, RttFF, Dagmar & Kelda *Not in Contest
QuickMap - Water Under the Bridge

Chardar:
Last Water - 25 1/2 Pieces, RotV

Goblin Canyon - 32 pieces, 2* RotV & 1 RttFF (*1 if you switch one of the ruins for a small ruin)

Supergeek:
Fiery Ravine - 36 Pieces, SOTM, RotV, TJ, VW

??? *Not in Contest

That Guy0715:
Seat of Greatness - 31 Pieces, RotV, RttFF *Not in Contest

Dual Spirals of Doom - 36 Pieces, RotV, RttFF

The Pit - 36 Pieces, RotV, VW

machinekng:
My Way or the Highway - 36 Pieces, 1 RotV, 2 RttFF

Darkmage7a:
Quiet Riot - 34 Pieces, BftU, VW

BiggaBullfrog:
Through Shadow and Flame - 33 Pieces, 2 BftU and 1 VW

Hot Cross Buns - 36 pieces, 2* RotV & 1 VW (*1 if you switch one of the ruins for a small ruin)

pauldragon:
Dark Divide 36 - 36 Pieces, 2 BftU and Wannuk Glyph

Wooded Way 36 - 36 Pieces, 1 RotV, 1 FotA, 2 RtFF.

CapnRedChops:
Highland Stream - 36 pieces, 2* RotV & 2 RttFF (*1 if you switch one of the ruins for a small ruin)

Build Images:
Spoiler Alert!

Quake Ruins - 35 Pieces, 2 ROTV

Build Images:
Spoiler Alert!

TnT2:
Swinging Bridge - 33 Pieces, RotV, FotA, BftU (just for Outrop, may use TT)

Last edited by lefton4ya; July 10th, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Updated my map
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Looks cool. Might try it. I'm without VS until next week though.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I might try, but could I use the Hive as an LOS blocker?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I might try, but could I use the Hive as an LOS blocker?
Sorry forgot about that - added to counting as 2 with base. I also may tweak the requirements if enough people are having difficulty coming up with good maps that meet it or my estimated time to build is way off.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Could you define "enough" entries? Also is there any limit to the number of entries a single member can make?

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
Could you define "enough" entries? Also is there any limit to the number of entries a single member can make?
Lets say 8 is enough and more is better, but these must be GOOD entries - ie. playtested not just thrown together quickly in VirtualScape. I haven't made a time-frame for submission, but I would hope in a couple weeks we could get enough entries. I would say 2 per person is a good limit, and your submissions should use different terrain expansions to help the variety of submissions. I would say 15 is the max I would ever put in polls and if there should be more than that many submissions, I would narrow it down to 12-15 for polls and let Heroscapers vote on their favorite, hopefully after I and others can get a chance to playtest.

Last edited by lefton4ya; August 2nd, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:12 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's one of my entries. The other needs a bit more testing before I post it. This one has been tested several times. I have physical pictures and a stop-motion video of a battle on it if you are interested in either of them.

Last Water.

Last edited by Chardar; August 3rd, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
Here's one of my entries. The other needs a bit more testing before I post it. This one has been tested several times. I have physical pictures and a stop-motion video of a battle on it if you are interested in either of them.

Last Water.
Thanks for submitting first! Do you have any idea how long it takes to build according to my "warm start" above? Can you make a build printout and post (physical picture not required - I trust you) so I can test.

It looks small, but you did spend some terrain to build height. Maybe my 32 piece limit is too small, and if my estimated time to build is off, I may increase it. Basically, I wants maps that can be built for the first time in under 10 minutes from a newbie, and 7 minutes by someone who has their terrain separated by type and has built the map once before. So if you can make this and other 32-piece map in 5 minutes easy, then maybe I will up the piece limit.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM

I think the 32 piece limit is just about right. It made me have to think about how I would make the map work. This map used 29 pieces give or take. Designing the map took about 15-20 minutes, not including tweaks. The name links to the PDF with the instructions. I'll take it down and time myself with a running start and see how I do.

EDIT: With the running start requirements it took me 2 minutes and 17 seconds to build the map.

Last edited by Chardar; August 3rd, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

When I put up my entry, I won't give a build time because I build stuff slooooowly. Hope you don't mind.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM

I'm thinking that during Gencon was a bad time to host a contest.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios