Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old December 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!
Claustrophobia

Just heard about this game. It looks really cool but it also looks very much like Space Hulk (as in, maybe too much like SH if I already own SH).

What does everyone else think?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...claustrophobia

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Claustrophobia

It's got some of the same features as Space Hulk, with the moving-through-tight-quarters and quality-vs-quantity. But it is definitely not Space Hulk. It's far less complicated, and moves ludicrously fast. The theme is definitely fantasy, not sci-fi.

The coolest features are the way you assign scores at the top of each round, so that the demon player can make his troglodytes faster for one turn, or meaner, or tougher. The human player can customize each of his fighters every turn, so if the brute needs to be a bad-ass for one turn, he can beef up his combat, and if he needs to be a meat shield, he can push his defense. The special powers are great, and really well implemented.

It is extremely luck-heavy, and while it definitely feels like a dungeon crawl, it doesn't feel all that much like a trip through Hell's underground. But the pre-painted minis are sweet, and the art is amazing.

I recommend the heck out of it. It's one I won't be trading away any time soon.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

I really wanted to grab this one, but I just never get a chance to play 2-p games... And with Space Hulk, Memoir 44, Lost Cities and others, I just don't see this getting much table time. It looks like a nice mesh up of Betrayal and Space Hulk... Billtog and I were both looking at this pretty seriously.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I had considered it, but I wasn't overly sold on the rolling dice for stats everyturn. It also seemed to fill the same niche as Space Hulk. Fantasy is much more my interest than Sci-Fi, and had I heard of Claustrophobia before Space Hulk, I may have went with Claustophobia. But as it is now, I don't have the money to purchase two games that seem so similar. Fortunately it is not a limited release as Space Hulk was, so maybe when I've grown a little bored with Hulk, I'll give this one a whirl.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

What are the terrain mats made of? Are they heavy duty (like Space Hulk) or thin like a poster or an At-43 mat?

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
What are the terrain mats made of? Are they heavy duty (like Space Hulk) or thin like a poster or an At-43 mat?
They are very thick cardstock. They're not embossed, but the game also doesn't cost $100.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
They are very thick cardstock. They're not embossed, but the game also doesn't cost $100.

$44 at CoolStuffInc..right now.

Must resist.......ah who am I kidding?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

While you're there, buy another one and have it shipped to me. It'll still cost you less than Space Hulk...

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

While you're there, buy another one and have it shipped to me. It'll still cost you less than Space Hulk...

Can I blame you when my wife divorces me?

More importantly...can I sleep on your couch when she divorces me?

Hey wait...if I am on the couch then I will get invited to Game Night at Jim's house
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

I was really attracted by this game, and I wanted to purchase it as soon as released. but when I downloaded the manual I discovered that the miniatures included in the game (17, if I remember correctly), are of 5 different sculpts only. this has cooled me down a bit. this, and the fact that at the moment I would be able to get it in French only, a language that I cannot read well as English.
I still want this game, but I'm waiting to read more reviews (until now, all pretty good) and maybe to find it at a good price :)
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Here's an introduction by the designer (subtitled in English).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRPU...eature=related

Yeah, another dungeon crawl, but I want it anyway...

-insert signature here-
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbi View Post
I was really attracted by this game, and I wanted to purchase it as soon as released. but when I downloaded the manual I discovered that the miniatures included in the game (17, if I remember correctly), are of 5 different sculpts only. this has cooled me down a bit. this, and the fact that at the moment I would be able to get it in French only, a language that I cannot read well as English.
I still want this game, but I'm waiting to read more reviews (until now, all pretty good) and maybe to find it at a good price

This kind of sums up my hesitation with this as well. I cooled on it a bit when I found out all five humans are really only three different sculpts. I think I'm going to wait and see if the price drops significantly or if they release expansions.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games