Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 1st, 2019, 06:47 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

For sure. The game mechanics seem interesting.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:33 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I'll be interested to see how this game works out over time. But from what Hellfire said, I feel that this game is going to end up being pretty niche and for hobbyists with a decent amount of money to spend.

This isn't for the casual boardgamer here on Heroscapers, as the time and cost isn't what most people here are into. They will be at Games Workshop prices, so that is disappointing, but a lot of people do spend crazy money on Warhammer 40k.

The scale is kind of a turnoff to me, even if I were considering it. 40mm is just big enough to make it too big for most terrain kits out there that are usually scaled from 28mm to 35mm. Batman Miniatures games by Knight Models is 35mm, and there is plenty of buildings for that game, but the bigger 40mm models may look out of place, but we'll have to see. So if you have to buy the terrain sets from Atomic Mass to get the right scale, that is huge expense. I know they are likely scaling it to 40mm to keep people from using Clix or Knight Models miniatures. With 3D printing being more prevalent, that could be a workaround for people to get better scaled terrain. And perhaps some of the 35mm mdf kits could look ok with this.

There might be a market for this game but deep pockets and a lot of hobby time are going to limit the market.

The prices from this Atomic Mass game will get discounted by online retailers, so we'll see how they go.
I suspicion the same about the scale attempting to curb interest in repurposing miniatures from other games. They appear to be more committed to maintaining scale as well--Heroclix and even Knight Models are not always consistent with their scale. That said, scale between companies isn't always consistent and 5mm can be a drastic difference. Ex. Luke to Luke from Imperial Assault to Legion:

However, someone attempted to scale the miniatures based on base size from Knight Models to Crisis Protocol and maybe some models could work and maybe terrain will work better than I initially thought:

Idk...Not a perfect methodology (angles and such) used here but maybe ... maybe. The terrain is the biggest red flag to me--moreso than the pricing. I was a bit resistant to Legion's scale change too, but then I fell in love with painting bigger models.

I'm still just curious about the game ...

Even their bases are a bit outside the orthodox at 35mm, 50mm, or 65mm.
The miniature packs will come with the miniatures, additional tactics cards (similar to Imperial Assault command cards--except the tactics cards are always open to the other player to see and know what they are), a crisis card, and a sheet of tokens.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:48 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
At those prices the only thing that vaguely interests me is what you mean when you say "a couple of small buildings."

But $40 for two unassembled, unpainted figures is bonkers to me. I can get like 20 preassembled, prepainted Heroclix figures for that.
The way I see it is that I already have a ton of super hero mini's and an interactive terrain system with C3G. But the thing that interest me are the scenario cards. I want to know more about that...and then figure a way to port a version of it into C3G

EDIT: I guess they are called Crisis Cards and each player draws one and the combination creates the scenario.

It's the two on the bottom right.
From the rulebook:

Spoiler Alert!

Before building a mission, players build a team of 10 models. After the threat level is chosen, players then build a squad of figures (using only models from their team) with a total threat level that is equal or less than the chosen threat level.

Adapted a bit, this could be a clever way for doing campaign play in Heroscape ... their rulebook is available here: https://www.atomicmassgames.com
Old August 2nd, 2019, 11:55 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
At those prices the only thing that vaguely interests me is what you mean when you say "a couple of small buildings."

But $40 for two unassembled, unpainted figures is bonkers to me. I can get like 20 preassembled, prepainted Heroclix figures for that.
The way I see it is that I already have a ton of super hero mini's and an interactive terrain system with C3G. But the thing that interest me are the scenario cards. I want to know more about that...and then figure a way to port a version of it into C3G

EDIT: I guess they are called Crisis Cards and each player draws one and the combination creates the scenario.

It's the two on the bottom right.
From the rulebook:

Spoiler Alert!

Before building a mission, players build a team of 10 models. After the threat level is chosen, players then build a squad of figures (using only models from their team) with a total threat level that is equal or less than the chosen threat level.

Adapted a bit, this could be a clever way for doing campaign play in Heroscape ... their rulebook is available here: https://www.atomicmassgames.com
Seems interesting for sure.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 4th, 2019, 05:15 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Craig Van Ness is doing a creative commons print and play game. There is a discussion board to help playtest the game and create new factions. I created a thread over here to talk about it, but you should really check out the Massive Core site itself.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 6th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

As much as I have recently been more tempted to get into Marvel Crisis Protocol, because it looks so darn cool. I like the way they set up the scenarios with each player revealing their half of the scenario cards at the same time and then choosing your crew for that scenario out of the 10 characters you put in your list. I like that characters get power tokens for each wound they receive and other ways, and then can use those power tokens as a resource to pay for powers. I like that you can throw things and break things. But, it would be expensive and take away from games I already have and enjoy.

That said, I did preorder the Marvel Champions LCG announced by FFG. It seems like a cross between LotR LCG and Arkham Horror LCG. I watched some videos and it looks really cool. They seem to have finally gotten smart at FFG and made this core set totally complete, so you don't have to buy other core sets to get some of the cards not included in just one set. It also seems to be setup to make deck-building easier and less intimidating for newbies and that will make it easier to teach and get others into. But I believe they will add to it over time to give those that love to spend time trying to maximize their decks and such.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ions-card-game

Anyway, I haven't bought a non-miniatures game related game in awhile, but I can't pass on being able to get my superhero fix. It plays solo and co-op, so it will definitely get played and I won't have to paint anything

Old August 7th, 2019, 12:44 AM
Promotable Material

Quote:
As much as I have recently been more tempted to get into Marvel Crisis Protocol, because it looks so darn cool. I like the way they set up the scenarios with each player revealing their half of the scenario cards at the same time and then choosing your crew for that scenario out of the 10 characters you put in your list. I like that characters get power tokens for each wound they receive and other ways, and then can use those power tokens as a resource to pay for powers. I like that you can throw things and break things. But, it would be expensive and take away from games I already have and enjoy.

That said, I did preorder the Marvel Champions LCG announced by FFG. It seems like a cross between LotR LCG and Arkham Horror LCG. I watched some videos and it looks really cool. They seem to have finally gotten smart at FFG and made this core set totally complete, so you don't have to buy other core sets to get some of the cards not included in just one set. It also seems to be setup to make deck-building easier and less intimidating for newbies and that will make it easier to teach and get others into. But I believe they will add to it over time to give those that love to spend time trying to maximize their decks and such.

Anyway, I haven't bought a non-miniatures game related game in awhile, but I can't pass on being able to get my superhero fix. It plays solo and co-op, so it will definitely get played and I won't have to paint anything
I'm considering getting the core set and seeing how we take to it. I recently sold a bundle of our card cuz they weren't hitting the table (we kept DC Deckbuilding, Legendary (We love the Encounters games), and SW: Destiny even though we no longer buy new cards since the rotation). But we got rid of VS, GoT: LCG, LotR LCG, and some others. While we enjoyed some of these games, LotR in particular, they weren't hitting the table anymore.

But Champions has our attention and if it can push Marvel Legendary from one of the go-to supers card games, we'll keep it getting more. The game looks pretty neat and I think they had a good team of designers on the game.
Old August 7th, 2019, 07:18 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Quote:

I'm considering getting the core set and seeing how we take to it. I recently sold a bundle of our card cuz they weren't hitting the table (we kept DC Deckbuilding, Legendary (We love the Encounters games), and SW: Destiny even though we no longer buy new cards since the rotation). But we got rid of VS, GoT: LCG, LotR LCG, and some others. While we enjoyed some of these games, LotR in particular, they weren't hitting the table anymore.

But Champions has our attention and if it can push Marvel Legendary from one of the go-to supers card games, we'll keep it getting more. The game looks pretty neat and I think they had a good team of designers on the game.
I think Champions can be pretty successful and replace some other superhero games, like Sentinels for some people. I believe the designer of LotR and Arkham Horror LCG is part of this design team, so that is a good sign.

Old August 7th, 2019, 08:07 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I’m intrigued but not convinced it’ll give me anything Sentinels of the Multiverse doesn’t already.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 7th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
I’m intrigued but not convinced it’ll give me anything Sentinels of the Multiverse doesn’t already.
Perhaps not you Bats, but others may consider it. It may be more streamlined than Sentinels is, less clunky and easier to get to the table. I've played Sentinels a few times years ago, and it was pretty clunky. Fun, but clunky. My buddy Brian is a big Sentinels fan and he was very much considering Champions. The only thing stopping him is that he is already deep into 2 other LCG's (Arkham Horror and LotR) and didn't want to chase another one. But he said he'd love to play my copy. I can't even remember the last time he played Sentinels, as it got to where he started playing it on his phone instead of the physical game.

And I've read comments from people that also are interested in it over Legendary, because in Legendary, you get cards from several heroes and don't feel like you are playing as one specific hero. Sentinels lets you play as a hero and Champions does too, so then it's a matter of people's preference as far as Marvel vs generic heroes and more accessible vs less so. We'll see.

Old August 7th, 2019, 11:49 AM

Yeah, I'm curious if they're different enough to justify both is more what I'm saying. Sentinels is one of my top three games of all time and I play it a ton, so if it's a similar vibe but a different enough feel, it might be worth my checking out both. I'm on the fence, though.

Helps not to have any money to spend, I guess!

Old August 20th, 2019, 06:50 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Played Richard Borg's Battle of Britain (PSC). This is a non Commands & Colors game of his that he redid. I went through a game solo to get the rules down, and then had a pal come over. Using his big roll up map, which I don't have although we both have the game, and my new croupier (push) sticks, we had a fun time! We also played a couple of games of the friend's copy of Sagrada, which he brought along.

To celebrate Eric M. Lang's recent announcement of his third upcoming myth trilogy game Ankh: Gods of Egypt, whose Kickstarter will be offered at the end of the year, I'll be playing two away games of Rising Sun over the next two weeks, and hosting Blood Rage here. These earlier games in the series are two of my favorites, and I own them both.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games