Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 24th, 2016, 04:17 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Do you still recommend this game?

I am planning on getting this game soon. Now that it’s been out for a while I want to know, does everyone still like the game? Still think it is comparable to Heroscape? I am worried about getting into it like I did Heroscape, only to watch it die soon after? Do you guys still recommend the game and do you believe that it will have a long enough life? I have games sitting on my shelf collecting dust because Heroscape is the only one that I REALLY got into. I'm hoping that Arena of the Planeswalkers will have a similar effect on me, but not if is dying.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old April 24th, 2016, 06:28 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Do you still recommend this game?

The game is fun, but I think Heroscape has better gameplay. The exception would be to mix the games and houserule stuff, which is a really enjoyable format. As for the game's life, I'm not sure. According to Mark Rosewater (head designer of Magic), the initial set sold well. I would much rather have Heroscape back, but this is also a great game. I think it shouldn't be treated as a separate game, but an expansion.

I am an Magic player, so I may like this game more than non Magic players would.

I would recommend this, try mixing the two games together.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old April 24th, 2016, 06:37 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My gaming group and I still play it, but we're going weeks between play sessions. I still enjoy that gameplay, but the lack of variety is kinda killing it at my house.

Larger or more frequent expansions would really help.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old April 24th, 2016, 07:15 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
My gaming group and I still play it, but we're going weeks between play sessions. I still enjoy that gameplay, but the lack of variety is kinda killing it at my house.

Aye. I think that is what bothers me most. The lack of variety in units/squads. Having such a variety of units to pick from is one of the things that I really loved about HS. I also loved the terrain.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old April 24th, 2016, 11:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post

Aye. I think that is what bothers me most. The lack of variety in units/squads. Having such a variety of units to pick from is one of the things that I really loved about HS. I also loved the terrain.
I second nate the dawg, if there were more to it, it would get more love at my place as well. The great bit with heroscape is you can mix and match any army you want. With this one it is kind of restrictive with what units you can summon with what planeswalkers. Its quite like heroscape in most aspects and has some added card decks that make it somewhat interesting. If they don't save it this fall with the next addon I would say that I wouldn't recommend it. If they don't add something to it soon, I'm guessing it will die. I don't want it to, that's just my guess.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:41 AM

Teazia knows what's in an order marker Teazia knows what's in an order marker

Has anyone done some custom work on PWs, spells and creatures?

Looking for a playset of Delver of Secrets, lol.
Old April 25th, 2016, 02:04 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

The lack of variety limits its time on the table for me. But plenty of games in my collection are like that. I got my whole family to play (and ask to play!) AOTP. For as cheap as it was I'm very happy with the purchase.
Old April 25th, 2016, 03:31 AM

Just picked it up for $18 shipped, so its worth a spin. I stupidly passed on it at $13 in the Miniature Market Spring sale, but what the hey.
Old April 25th, 2016, 09:04 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As a long time player (since 2004) I found it great to have a new twist to the game and some fresh mechanics. Though the expansions are limited at this point I have had a lot of fun playing AOTP. The new rules with turns, summoning and spell cards added a lot of new strategy and fun to the game at my house. We still love classic scape, but AOTP adds one more set of options when playing. I tend to prefer thematic play so this is yet another theme to add to the mix. For the price tag I can't suggest it enough.

With basically 5 armies to pick from there are essentially 10 different combos. Then throw in the event hero from the big expansion and you have a pretty good set of options. I play about 1 time per week with my son and we have yet to get bored or burn through all the options. I haven't even introduced him to the event hero yet.

And we haven't even started blending in all our classic scape or custom superheros.

How they haven't capitalized on the easy money of publishing extra spell cards is beyond me. The company after all has published a bazillion magic cards, how can they not bust out some spell cards to blow up the options with AOTP????

TLDNR: It is well worth the low price tag for the new fun it offers, even if it dies today IMHO.
Old April 25th, 2016, 09:22 AM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teazia View Post

Quite a few spells and creatures have been posted on the Planeswalker Arena site. Many of them are still works in progress, so an additional set of eyes checking them out would be good.

The AotP Blender section (On Heroscapers, the bottom topic on this forum) also has some customs.
Old April 25th, 2016, 12:17 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teazia View Post

One user that's made a lot of stuff is @Confred . He's converted Portal and Innistrad.

I've also done some stuff too, namely the Swords of X and Y.

If you can't find it, try creating it yourself! Whatever works for you is best!

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old April 25th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Well, both Arena boxes are on discount on Amazon right now, get both for around $30. There is no time like the present.

Cheers

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion