Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:47 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

If the glyphs are marked with question marks, they are supposed to be randomly determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old September 2nd, 2015, 02:26 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
With alot of the BOV maps i've noticed there are glyphs on some of them. In the PDF's I can not find out which glyphs these are. Are there any specific glyphs on these maps or are they random. I basically have not been putting them on because I don't know what they are supposed to be. Last one I did was Quasatch Playground. Don't get me wrong, these maps are awesome.
q is correct. If the print outs show a "?" then that is a random glyph (we recommend having a clear pool of glyphs that you use*). Quasatch Playground has random glyphs, for example.

Many maps do have what we call set glyphs. These are specific glyphs in specific places in order to help create map balance. Embattled Fen, for example, uses a set Wound glyph. Other maps, like Ticalla Sunrise, use two set glyphs: Wound and Unique +1, I believe.

You can usually tell just by looking at the opening picture of the map. If the glyphs are face down, they are random; if they are face up, they are specific glyphs meant to balance the map.

--

* Just a note on having a glyph pool: Many feel that some glyphs (Range +4, for example) are too powerful (some also put the Attack +1 and the Defense +2 in this group). Others feel like certain glyphs are too swingy (like the Summoning Glyph) or only good for specific uses (like the Pit Trap).

Many events will have a specific pool (perhaps 6 or that everyone knows are the ones that may show up in the event. If you know that the Unique +1 and the Healing glyph are in the pool, you may be more inclined to bring some Unique Heroes. Having people know which glyphs may be on the maps helps them draft or bring an army they feel will be fair.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:47 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Thanks for the feedback guys, super helpful. Keep up the great work on making these balanced fun to play maps.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 11th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Is this still going? Can I make a nomination?

Spineback Ridge by GameBear. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=137

I ran across this one the other day and it looks really intriguing. I love how the low water in the starting zones punishes swarm armies and how the pillars in the center make it so difficult for ranged units. As with any map that has capped pillars, things like the Airborne Elite and Protectors of Ullar could prove problematic, yet this map seems to avoid the problem of "dragon perches" very well. Of all the maps I've seen with capped pillars, this one seems to have the most potential to still be balanced and fun in a tournament setting.

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old November 12th, 2015, 11:10 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
Is this still going? Can I make a nomination?

Spineback Ridge by GameBear. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=137

I ran across this one the other day and it looks really intriguing. I love how the low water in the starting zones punishes swarm armies and how the pillars in the center make it so difficult for ranged units. As with any map that has capped pillars, things like the Airborne Elite and Protectors of Ullar could prove problematic, yet this map seems to avoid the problem of "dragon perches" very well. Of all the maps I've seen with capped pillars, this one seems to have the most potential to still be balanced and fun in a tournament setting.
It is still going, just a little slower than it used to be. Thanks for the nomination. I hadn't seen this one, but I love the idea, and vote yes to review.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:48 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Any movement around here?
2014 had six votes on maps, last year only had two.
High Ways or the Highway was nominated over 18 months ago, and that's the only pending map until Spineback Ridge gets movement.

Happy New Year!
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:22 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
Any movement around here?
2014 had six votes on maps, last year only had two.
High Ways or the Highway was nominated over 18 months ago, and that's the only pending map until Spineback Ridge gets movement.

Happy New Year!
Hey Scott

Obviously the activity on this thread has fallen off over the years. Luckily, I still play Heroscape weekly so getting in more games on these maps shouldn't be an issue. I just need to make a resolution to get more votes in.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old January 4th, 2016, 04:14 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Review of High Ways or the Highway, Jungle Edition!

I've had this map up for a few months now, and it's probably time to write up my thoughts and vote.

Overview

Despite the unwieldy name, this is a great map in a lot of ways.
Spoiler Alert!
1Mmirg has made excellent use of all three sets (RotV + FotA + TJ). The battlements are well placed, including the nearly-successful attempt to even out the two ruins from RotV. I particularly like the battlements next to the bushes; the bushes get smushed a bit so they actually block line-of-sight.

(It seems to me that the bushes almost never block line of sight. There's nearly always a foot or something you can see through the not-quite-dense-enough foliage.)

The use of the battlement bases as hidden support is also pretty sweet.

There was consistently action on all three 'lanes', though a strong+weak glyph pairing sometimes closed down the weak side. Even in those cases, it was not uncommon to use the ruins cover on the weak side to flank.

Unit-specific concerns and crazed rant

There is no obvious Raelin perch (there's still plenty of places for her, of course), and it's reasonably difficult to bog things down with a rat screen. There's good balance across a lot of army types.

On the other hand, there's no high-ground water. This anti-Microcorp design choice should be enough to deny the map on it's own. When will the oppression of the Microcorp stop? Why are all map makers so bitterly opposed to our boys in black? Jealousy, no doubt, but we also can't rule out the possibility of chronic drug abuse. It certainly can't be that the microcorp aren't as great as I think and... uh...

<Cognitive dissonance kicks in and fomox abruptly stops this line of thought. Uncomfortable feelings never mean you might be wrong, they mean Utgar is trying to trick you. So just avoid those feelings and you'll get to be "right" forever.>

Whew. The microcorp are the best, as we all, deep-down know they are. Someday map-makers will stop working so hard to keep them down.

Back to the Review

The best thing by far on this map is the use of ladders. Just awesome. The single ladders on each side of the start zones help speed the advance for some (but not all) units in the start zones. The ladders by the glyphs provide height without restricting two-hex units from reaching the same (nearly the same) position.

The ladders in the middle are fantastic. I've never had so many fights and maneuvers around ladders. It was all "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Wyrmling" in there. We had to go back an consult the FotA rulebook a few times, wondering "wait, can you really do that?". The answer is frequently yes, and it's a lot of fun.

(One disappointment: No, you can't have a two-hex figure straddle the two ladders, even though it totally fits and is awesome.)

Weaknesses

Like many maps that use road tiles, I found it to be pretty rare that using the road bonus actually made sense. I did use the "highway" on a few occasions, but you're generally going to be on the high ways. (Or on ladders!) This is not a big complaint, because the road rules are pretty restrictive.

Verdict

I've decided to start putting my verdicts into spoiler tags. That way people won't just read to the bottom and find out that Chewbacca is Han Solo's father.

Spoiler Alert!

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.

Last edited by fomox; January 4th, 2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: If Lucas was still in charge, Chewie would have been both his father AND his uncle. And Snoke would actually be Boss Nass.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:24 AM

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Well, with that review, High Ways or the Highway, Jungle Edition! has enough votes to get into the BoV. Congratulations to 1Mmirg!

opps! Error on our end. Not in just yet.

Maps pending acceptance for review

Spineback Ridge by Gamebear

This is a cool "fun" map, but it poses some problems to competitive play. Namely, the geography overly favors ranged units. A ranged army wining the initial engagement will have a huge advantage over melee from that point, whereas a melee army won't be similarly rewarded. I vote NO to review.

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Last edited by Dignan; March 26th, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old March 26th, 2016, 03:55 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Uh, Dignan?

fomox's was the only "Yes to Induct" review High Ways has recieved so far (unless y'all have more pinned up around the walls of your Secret Review Clubhouse), the previous ones were "Yes to review".

Old March 26th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
Uh, Dignan?

fomox's was the only "Yes to Induct" review High Ways has recieved so far (unless y'all have more pinned up around the walls of your Secret Review Clubhouse), the previous ones were "Yes to review".

Yeah, you are right. Looks like there was an error in record keeping on our end. In our files, it looked like it only needed fomox's vote to be inducted.

Old March 26th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Updated 3/26/2016

logged fomox votes: YtI HWotH, YtR SR
logged Dignan vote: NtR SR
Removed AC with 2 no votes

Maps pending acceptance for review

Spineback Ridge by Gamebear
Yes = 1 (fomox) ; No = 1 (Dignan) ; Pending = 4

Maps currently being reviewed:

High Ways or the Highway by 1Mmirg
Yes = 1 (fomox) ; No= 0 ; Pending = 5

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios