Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to support a Patreon for terrain?
Yes, follow your dreams! 10 90.91%
No, work a normal job like the rest of us. 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 20th, 2017, 04:47 PM

Isak is surprisingly tart
The Gatekeepers Play Testing is now live!

(Updated 2/10/18 )
I have now launched the play test documents on my google drive for the Gatekeepers game. If you want to join in the fun my email is isaktjones@gmail.com. Include in the subject line "I want to play test" and I will add you to the drive. Also if someone knows how to add the spoilers so I can hide the older updates that would be awesome!

(Update 01/30/18 )
Here is the art for the third team! Also if you are interested in play testing The Gatekeepers email me at isaktjones@gmail.com with the subject line reading "I want to play test" I am sending out the first draft of everything Feb 10. Also if you are interested in supporting the Patreon and getting some 3D files I'm releasing the pillars this Saturday morning to my Patrons. The link to the patreon is here.

(Update 01/24/18 )
So this is a smaller update than my past ones. First I would like someone to point me in the direction of a thread explaining how to make sections of a thread minimizable. I want to be able to minimize each past update.

The game I'm making. Here is some more art, I've got another team line up. These are the followers of Alnilam.

Update on the Patreon, I have my first backer! Thanks Joseph Stone for backing this Patreon! I hope it takes off and I can provide a lot of awesome custom creations for a long time to come!

(Update 01/10/18 )

So my Patreon is now up! If you are interested in backing it here is the link. I will be releasing models the first Saturday of every month, the first being the first Saturday of February. It will be the pillars I have designed. Then march I will release the broken pillars. You can see both in use in an image below. My magic number in order to stay afloat is $300 a month, that will cover prototyping, material and maintenance on the machines. However the first two files are already mostly complete, I just need to make a square base so my income the first couple months can be a little lower. If we can hit my goal by April I will keep making objects so long as people want, if I can't then I will just close down the Patreon.

I want to thank everyone in this community for helping me get to this point and I hope I can continue adding to Heroscape with this Patreon.

Now for the other news, the board game I am working on is still going forward. I have the team lineups figured out for the first Master set and am play testing them now. If anyone is interested in play testing this game shoot me an email at Isaktjones@gmail.com and I will get you the rules and stats for the game, you will need to proxy Heroscape terrain and units while play testing. If you are interested and send me an email please be sure to make the subject of the email "I want to play test".

On another note, I have found that while I can design terrain and inanimate objects without a problem I don't like any of my living creations. I'm not sure if I'm just bad or beating up myself over nothing but I'm looking for someone who is interested in designing the figures that will be used for this new game. If you are interested email me at isaktjones@gmail.com with the subject reading "3D Artist" with samples of what you have designed in the past.

Now for more artwork, here is the lineup of the team that follows Alnitak.

-------------------------------------------Original Post-----------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! I've stepped away from all things Heroscape, actually all things normal life for a couple of months due to the hurricane in Houston. I've now moved to Utah, (Yay Utah tournaments here I come!) and have an idea I want feedback on, and a teaser to an announcement I'm making here shortly.

First, the thoughts, 3D printing the pillars was costing more in machine maintenance/prototyping/man hours/material than it was bringing in so Aethiar and I are no longer going to be making and selling individual Heroscape content. We are however still talking about creating new Heroscape content. What we are looking into is starting a Patreon. If we did this we would design and prototype Heroscape terrain and then give the 3D files to anyone who is part of the Patreon. We would have two levels, if we can get the first level we would make one terrain piece per month, if we get to the second level we would make two terrain pieces per month. We would also give instructions on how to treat them after printing to make them come out as nice as ours were. Here are some of what we had made and what we were working on next to give you an idea of what you would get from us.

Now to get on to the second announcement. I bought the Heroscape patent! I don't own rights to all the specific sets that have come out, but I own the name Heroscape. I've got another project I'm working on that has to do with this announcement. I'll give more details about it shortly, but here is a little teaser art of what I'm working on.

Again, more announcements on this to come.

Last edited by Isak; February 10th, 2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old November 20th, 2017, 04:55 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Wow, that was a big hurricane!

Sweet! Welcome to the Utah community! It was good having you back at our June Monthly, and it'll be good seeing much more of you (and our thread is here in case you lost it).

I'm intrigued about the rest of your projects, and will check back periodically to see what is going on!
Old November 21st, 2017, 12:00 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Sweet!

Glad to hear the announcement.

Do you two do all your own modeling? Are you working on figures?
What software do you use for creating models?

Is that your art? It looks great.

Tell us more about how Patreon will work.
Old November 21st, 2017, 01:11 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm really disappointed you guys aren't selling your terrain pieces anymore. I LOVE my pillars I bought from you guys (and was wishing I had more). I will actually soon be posting pictures of a map with them in use.

I'd like to know more about what a patreon is. My spell checker doesn't even like that word.

Always interested in what you guys do. Fantastic work I've seen so far!
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:55 PM

Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker Dark_Stranger knows what's in an order marker

I will support the hell out of that Patreon, my good man!
If I understand the last part of your post correctly, you own the Heroscape name and the patent for the terrain system, but not the previously established characters, races, and backstory? How much would it cost to get the complete package? Because if you set up a fund for buying character/story rights on Kickstarter or someplace, I'd support the hell out of that, too!
I'm severely hyped, if you can't tell.

@bmon : Patreon is a website that basically allows artists to run a subscription based business. Fans can pay a monthly subscription fee to get special rewards from the artist...in this case, 3D files for new HS terrain.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:43 AM

@Tornado I do all the modeling. Aethiar prints and tests everything, then I model needed changes. That cycle goes on until it fits and looks great with Heroscape. Then Aethiar treats it and runs a few different finishing textures and we both look at them and decide what one looks best. If we do the Patreon we will share the post process with each item so they come out looking great.

As for figures, I can do them, but am super slow when it comes to living creatures and even though I've been told they look good I'm never happy with the end result. I'm actually looking for someone who is better at living creatures than I am to help me with the other project I'm working on so if you or anyone else out there is interested in that part let me know.

As for software it depends on what I'm creating. I use Blender or sketchup to make the initial model, then use Netfabb and Meshlab to make sure it is ready to print.

That art is actually Raphael Bauduin's work. I've hired him for the next project I'm working on, if you want to check out his other stuff you can see it here.

As for Patreon, Aethiar and I are going over numbers to see what we need to bring in to make it worthwhile. These factors include hours worked, machine maintenance, material and electrical costs. The patreon will be set up that anyone pays what they think our work is worth to them. It will pull it out monthly like a netflix subscription and in return the backers will get our monthly models and instructions for how to finish them. Backers will be able to leave at any time. We will have two goal numbers, if we are below the first one we will cancel the patreon and not make models, if we reach the first goal we will do one model a month, if we reach the second goal we will do two models a month.

@bmon Thanks, we love them too, it just wasn't financially feasible to keep going on that route without a huge price hike. We still have a little bit of stock we are emptying out and a bunch of slightly damaged ones we are selling if you are interested before those are gone let me know. I can send you pics of what is wrong with them. Once they are gone though we won't be making more unless someone offers us a really high number.

Patreon is a site for people who want to come out with regular content and want compensation for their work. Backers can decide what to pay them based on what they feel the content is worth. Some youtubers who are to small to get sponsors set it up that every video they put out all there backers get debited what they have pledged, the backers choose the pledge and can cancel at any time. Mine will be set up in such a way that the backers would have their pledge amount debited monthly and would receive my models in return. If you want more details about my specific Patreon I would set up read my response to Tornado's question above.

@Dark_Stranger Thanks for the support! So I own the Heroscape trademark, not the terrain patent however the terrain is covered under a design patent, you can't use the same art on terrain but the interlocking mechanism is free game because their utility patent failed. I tried buying Everything from Hasbro but after months of negotiations they made it clear they don't want to sell it or bring it back any time soon.

All that being said, I am coming out with something related to that trademark although it's not going to be Heroscape exactly. I should be ready to give more details around Christmas time/new years.

I guess you already replied to bmon, I think I'll leave what I put too.

Last edited by Isak; November 22nd, 2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Clarification on a sentence.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:43 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Ya know, I find it curious that Hasbro wasn't interested in selling rights to a dead game. Unless they have intentions to do more with it someday.... Just saying...

Dunno how to feel about that.
Old November 24th, 2017, 03:40 AM

@DoomCarrot , I don't know why either. I wish I had a reason but I don't.
Old November 24th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCarrot View Post
Ya know, I find it curious that Hasbro wasn't interested in selling rights to a dead game. Unless they have intentions to do more with it someday.... Just saying...

Dunno how to feel about that.

A company seemingly made a Fantastic Four movie with no intention of release just to retain the rights to the license. Big companies are weird some times.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I can't remember if you mentioned this before, but what does owning the 'Heroscape' official name actually do for you when you don't own the rights to anything else.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old November 24th, 2017, 01:51 PM

So, according to my lawyer I can use the name to make games, toys, advertise, etc. He said I could make Heroscape with the same rules(which aren't copyrighted) I just can't directly use any of the old lore. Talking to hasbro it sounds as though they might sue me if I make a game, my lawyer says I would win the suit although because of the size of Hasbro I couldn't afford to go up against them. So at the moment I'm using the name Heroscape with the custom terrain I'm selling and making. I have something big in the works, not exactly Heroscape, but I believe this community will really like it once I am ready to put it out there which should hopefully be some time in December, maybe January.
Old November 24th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

May I ask how you acquired the name?

Looking forward to what you have in store for us.
Your terrain is really cool.

Crossing my fingers for a buildings release or at least ruined buildings.

I am rooting for you!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles