Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old July 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
Just want to point out if you read the HATRED ability again, that Ornak can get you around the chance of him turning on you, since there is not an actual order marker on Marcu.
Excellent point. That's the new way to use him!

As an undead, Marcu is immune to zombification. I know the books don't seem to like adding immunities, but I think they should, so I always mention them.
Old July 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Sagart has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagart
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Marcu vs an opposing army seems like a very bad deal for you. As soon as he turns, wouldn't it be game over since you no longer control any figures?
I would assume not because you get him back at the end of the turn. It's a really good question, and should definately be asked about to Hasbro.
I thought about this an I would say you don't automatically lose if this happens. Yes you lose control, but you gain it back at the very end of the turn. I agree with the above.
I don't know. From the Master Game Guide, p. 10; "The Game Scenario sets the victory conditions for each game." From Battlefield & Game Scenario Booklet, p. 3, Table of the Giants Battlefield (the first game scenario); "When the other side has no figures left on the battlefield, you win." (Emphasis mine.) Not, "When at the end or the turn ..." or "When ... with the exception of ..." I'm kind of leaning in the direction that, game over if Marcus switches.
I thought a FAQ or message from Hasbro clarified that to mean at the end of the turn....anyone remember?
I'm not sure where it is, but this is true. The message from Hasbro was in regard to DW7K. The question was "what if I blow up DW7K and he kills my opponent's last figure? Do I win because my opponent removes his last figure before I remove DW7K, do I lose, or is it a tie?"

The answer was "its a tie" because having no figures left isn't checked until the end of the turn.
Yah, I looked it up. That's the answer. If Marcu survives the turn--doesn't walk off the game board or jump off a cliff and die of a sprained ankle or get counter stricken to death after attacking Samurai or something else--then, game's still on. Uncle.
Old July 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM

deadeyedan42 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Marcu vs an opposing army seems like a very bad deal for you. As soon as he turns, wouldn't it be game over since you no longer control any figures?
I would assume not because you get him back at the end of the turn. It's a really good question, and should definately be asked about to Hasbro.
I agree as well, although if Marcu is up in a tower and he is in your opponents controll you can make him jump off the tower. And even though he has flying, the person in control of the unit does not have to fly with him, (see the classic, flying and road bonus rule) thusly he would have to roll for falling damage.

Am I right or am I right?

FINISH HIM!
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM

tsukifu has disabled reputation
I've been wondering about that high-roll equals bad-result thing also. I'm not sure I totally get the reason for it from a gameplay standpoint, but it does seem to be consistent with the flavor of the card. Marcu seems to be this conflcited tormented dude who both loves and hates his family, seems tormented by his appearance (what's up with that, anyway?). The roll itself is kind of twisted, and gameplay decisions become even more conflicted when he goes under your opponent's control--does he attack one of your figures and run the risk of healing Marcu in the process?

Plus you've got his beast-like form, and the kind of curious name of the ability. I googled it and found this passage, from ch. 16 of Frankenstein. In this chapter the monster is narrating and sort of hating his creator for having endowed him with human emotions but a monstrous appearance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley
From you only could I hope for succour, although towards you I felt no sentiment but that of hatred. Unfeeling, heartless creator! you had endowed me with perceptions and passions, and then cast me abroad an object for the scorn and horror of mankind.
And then a few paragraphs later (note the bold):

Quote:
I vowed eternal hatred and vengeance to all mankind.
Makes me wonder just how Marcu got to be like he is. I don't know if we've gotten any backstory on Marcu other than the blurb on the offical site's wave 7 announcement, but you gotta love what's there so far, right down to the gameplay. Cool figure, super cool flavor. I love it.

EDIT: In retrospect, I feel that this may be the nerdiest thing I have ever done.

Anyway...I'm feelin' like pie.
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukifu
I've been wondering about that high-roll equals bad-result thing also.
I think one possible reason for it is that it allows his cost be a little lower than it would if the result was on the low end of the d20, he can't get a bonus from the glyph, making it so that there is always the same percentage chance of him turning.
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
I've been wondering about that high-roll equals bad-result thing also. I'm not sure I totally get the reason for it from a gameplay standpoint, but it does seem to be consistent with the flavor of the card. Marcu seems to be this conflcited tormented dude who both loves and hates his family, seems tormented by his appearance (what's up with that, anyway?). The roll itself is kind of twisted, and gameplay decisions become even more conflicted when he goes under your opponent's control--does he attack one of your figures and run the risk of healing Marcu in the process?

Plus you've got his beast-like form, and the kind of curious name of the ability. I googled it and found this passage, from ch. 16 of Frankenstein. In this chapter the monster is narrating and sort of hating his creator for having endowed him with human emotions but a monstrous appearance:

Quote:
From you only could I hope for succour, although towards you I felt no sentiment but that of hatred. Unfeeling, heartless creator! you had endowed me with perceptions and passions, and then cast me abroad an object for the scorn and horror of mankind.
And then a few paragraphs later (note the bold):

Quote:
I vowed eternal hatred and vengeance to all mankind.
Makes me wonder just how Marcu got to be like he is. I don't know if we've gotten any backstory on Marcu other than the blurb on the offical site's wave 7 announcement, but you gotta love what's there so far, right down to the gameplay. Cool figure, super cool flavor. I love it.
All this referencing makes me feel like i'm watching Lost

Personally if i was the opponent who had control of Marcu for one turn i'd probably use him to attack a Hero as apposed to a squad so he can inflict wounds but not necessarily destroy the figure, or move Marcu in a completely different direction so the Player has to use one turn up getting him back in the game.
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM

tsukifu has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nether
I think one possible reason for it is that it allows his cost be a little lower than it would if the result was on the low end of the d20, he can't get a bonus from the glyph, making it so that there is always the same percentage chance of him turning.
Yeah, that's a good point. If it was at the low end, the odds would go from 20% to 15% with the glyph. With it on the high end, though, the glyph actually raises the chances to 25%.

Whatever the designers' reasoning, I really like the ability. It's a cool wrinkle that fits in really well with the character. Normally I don't really go for the backstory/character bio stuff much at all, but I gotta admit the vampire clan is the best example so far of figures having abilities that really create a kind of personality.

Anyway...I'm feelin' like pie.
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
So far, this guy gets 2 thumbs up.

In a game today, after the 10pt Isamu Ninja knocked down Q9 to 2 life, Marcu flew in to finish him off with a 2 wound finishing kill. All for 20 points!!!

Luckily, in about 6 activations, Marcu never betrayed me either!

He's a gamble, but for 20 points, he's a STEAL!!!

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:16 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nether
Yeah, that's a good point. If it was at the low end, the odds would go from 20% to 15% with the glyph. With it on the high end, though, the glyph actually raises the chances to 25%.

Whatever the designers' reasoning, I really like the ability. It's a cool wrinkle that fits in really well with the character. Normally I don't really go for the backstory/character bio stuff much at all, but I gotta admit the vampire clan is the best example so far of figures having abilities that really create a kind of personality.
We'll never know for certain, but I strongly suspect that glyphs do not come into play when deciding the point values and blaance of figures. Glyphs are inherently unbalancing...that's kind of the whole point of them, to shift power in the game.
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
Just want to point out if you read the HATRED ability again, that Ornak can get you around the chance of him turning on you, since there is not an actual order marker on Marcu.
Ah nuts, stole my idea
I was just about to say that too. His Hatred ability only activates when you reveal a marker on him, so if you use another figure, such as Ornak or the Red Skull to take turns with him, his Hatred ability will not activate.

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Will T is surprisingly tart
One of your best moves, if you gain control of your opponent's Marcu, is to move back and forth between two enemy figures, so as to cause multiple disengagements. In the right situation, he could disengage 7 times in one movement (or 10 on roadways!)

This raises a question, would Marcu have to disengage from your figures or his (actual) owner's figures to activate the passing swipes? And whose glyphs/auras affect him in this situation?
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will T
One of your best moves, if you gain control of your opponent's Marcu, is to move back and forth between two enemy figures, so as to cause multiple disengagements. In the right situation, he could disengage 7 times in one movement (or 10 on roadways!)

This raises a question, would Marcu have to disengage from your figures or his (actual) owner's figures to activate the passing swipes? And whose glyphs/auras affect him in this situation?
The point would be moot since disengagement swipes are optional.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units