Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Book of Nakita Agents

Counterstrike is a great point, Dysole. Yup - any of the five defense counterers would be worthwhile to leave if you're on level ground since they have better than a 50/50 chance of killing you if you attack them anyway (1 1/2 average skulls vs. 1 2/3 average shields). For the rest, I'm thinking Minions are the prototype of the unit from which you want to disengage. Your odds are not good for hitting them and the fact that you survived their initial strike is quite lucky anyway. DW7k is possible, but his three attack dice aren't exactly fearsome and his explosion would be a bonus - depends on the exact situation, I guess. I had hoped one of our math geniuses would run some numbers on the offense/defense breakpoints for taking the 50% risk, but it looks like I may just need to get more of a gut feel for it.

~Aldin, thanking those who responded

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Counterstrike is a great point, Dysole. Yup - any of the five defense counterers would be worthwhile to leave if you're on level ground since they have better than a 50/50 chance of killing you if you attack them anyway (1 1/2 average skulls vs. 1 2/3 average shields). For the rest, I'm thinking Minions are the prototype of the unit from which you want to disengage. Your odds are not good for hitting them and the fact that you survived their initial strike is quite lucky anyway. DW7k is possible, but his three attack dice aren't exactly fearsome and his explosion would be a bonus - depends on the exact situation, I guess. I had hoped one of our math geniuses would run some numbers on the offense/defense breakpoints for taking the 50% risk, but it looks like I may just need to get more of a gut feel for it.

~Aldin, thanking those who responded
Mathematically speaking, if they're the only figures left, anything with a defense of greater than 3 and greater than an attack of 2, or that has any defensive edge (counterstrike, defensive agility, shields of valor), it's better to disengage and shoot at them. The only exceptions to this would probably be the Krav, DW7k, and possibly Gurei-Oni, but if you get height you can probably be safe from his Evil Eye. That's my take on it.
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My friend and I were playing today, and he had a squad of N.A, and two squads of G'nators. He was using Gorrilanator movement bonding, and was moving across water because the could move seven spaces. So, can they do this? All the card says is move them seven spaces. Any help would be appreciated

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

They would still have to stop in the water.
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper View Post
My friend and I were playing today, and he had a squad of N.A, and two squads of G'nators. He was using Gorrilanator movement bonding, and was moving across water because the could move seven spaces. So, can they do this? All the card says is move them seven spaces. Any help would be appreciated
Yep, you always need to follow normal movement rules... (climbing, water, etc...) the only difference is that with any sort of movement bonding, or Skahen/Gilbert movements, you never get road or glyph movement bonuses.

Good luck on the rematch!

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old October 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth
Powder Puff Girls

I made this entry in my blog but wanted to post it in the Book of as well:

Ah yes the shelf clogging Nakita; they are easily my favorite squad. I have played the snot of the Nakita, probably more so than most can imagine. They are a blast to play but they are not that durable and not that reliable; two traits that make them very iffy for sustained competitive play. They can do so much for so many or yet nothing at all. They can be a huge liability in one matchup and then a huge asset in another. This is because their best ability, Smoke Powder, does not work against special attacks. A short coming for sure. It is also because their 2 defensive abilities rely on the D20. Unlike the Krav, who are universally good against most anything, the Nakita are specialized and complimentary and, unfortunately, easily countered. Nonetheless, I still find myself using them more and more. Maybe it is the release of Agent Skahen or just my current infatuation or maybe it is my desire to scratch out a little more respect for them. Whatever the reason, I find myself working them into almost any army for nearly any variant.

The Nakita uses are numerous and their specials make it all possible. They are one of the most misunderstood units in the game and fly in the face of conventional synergies.
  • Smoke Powder 13: When any Nakita Agent you control, or any figure you control that is adjacent to any Nakita agent you control, is targeted for a normal attack from a non-adjacent opponent, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, all Nakita Agents you control and all figures you control that are adjacent to those agents, no longer have any visible hit zones for the duration of the targeting figure's turn. - What a freaking mouthful! This is probably the most complicated and most misunderstood special in the game. It’s up there with Juton’s throw, but even more misinterpreted. It is basically this: A Nakita agent (you control) will roll for Smoke Powder every time they or a figure you control adjacent to any of your Nakita is targeted for a normal, non-adjacent attack. Once it hits, if it hits, then all your Nakita on the board and the units you control adjacent to them no longer have visible hit zones against non-adjacent normal attacks for the rest of the targeting figure(s) turn. You roll for every attack not once per turn. You’d be surprised how many do not have it straight. Their value lies in this special more than any other, make sure you know it’s proper application and that you are using it to it’s fullest each defensive turn. The ability to suddenly just negate range fire for the rest of the turn can be huge. Position your Nakita as best you can to take full advantage but keep in mind that the Powder will fail you, it is supposed to.

• Engagement Strike 15: If an opponent's small or medium figure moves adjacent to a Nakita Agent, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 15 or higher, the opponent's figure receives a wound. Figures may be targeted only as they move into engagement with a Nakita Agent. - What a great special to compliment Smoke powder. You want to get around smoke powder? Without a special attack, you have to engage the Nakita but then you risk Engagement Strike. So very cool . Also, each Nakita gets a strike every time an opponent’s figure moves into engagement with them. So, if an opponent’s figure manages to engage all 3 Nakita at the same time, you roll Engagements Strike 3 times. That is a point many forget or misinterpret. For me, the biggest application of Engagement Strike is when playing the Nakita in combination with either the Krav or Skahen or both. Engagement Strike makes the opponent think twice about basing one of your Stealth Dodge agents. It is fairly easy to position a Nakita so that no matter how they try to engage a Krav, they will have to sustain at least one Strike. Pretty sweet, especially when it hits. I have seen the threat of a Strike deter players enough to test their luck with Smoke Powder. It is a tough call; Smoke Powder doesn’t kill but losing attacks is nearly as bad. A little hint, if the Nakita have most everything covered, you should take your chances with Engagement Strike. It is less likely to hit and if it doesn’t hit the Nakita or Stealth Dodge agent will probably fall.

• Gorillinator Movement Bonding: Before taking a turn with Nakita Agents, you may move 3 Gorillinators you control up to 7 spaces. - It is just a move bond, the Gorillas do not get an attack. Overall it is pretty cool and definitely fun. If only it was a bit more durable. Make no mistake the Nakita do significantly help the gorillas it is just that the gorillas suffer from the same Achilles heal as the Nakita: Special Attacks. Playing them together compounds and amplifies this weakness. However, the combo can be great if you are not facing a special attack. I have seen the combo dominate some squad based armies that were without a special attack. I have also seem them get obliterated when going up against Q9 or Nilf or to a lesser extent, Q10. Still, it is pretty fun ability and it gives the gorillas a chance to be fun.

Adjacency and positioning are huge for the Nakita; at times, even more important than their attack. Here in lies part of the problem with them. They have some offensive punch but to get the most out of them, you may have to occasionally forgo a good attack just to have them on the best hex. The Nakita can compliment most any army but they also require special attention and care. By attention, I mean you need to be paying attention. The two D20 powers both take place on your opponent’s turn and their affects will have a bearing on the opponent’s decisions as they progress through the phases of their turn. Show the opponent some courtesy and be punctual with your power triggers. Make sure you are getting all of your D20 rolls in when they are supposed to be occurring. It is so not cool to start rolling Engagement Strike after the opponent has already started attacking. Stay on top of things. The Nakita can be annoying because their specials are preemptive but you have to play them diligently to get their value. They are not as bad as deathreavers, but players can lose patience when they are taking wounds and losing attacks on their turn. You don’t want to be slowing the opponent down or making them reroll attacks or having to take back moves because you were late in reacting to or notifying of the situation.

On that front, the Nakita have been out a while, but they just don’t get as much play as other units. Make sure your opponent (and you) know how they work. Also, talk about what is happening during the game; communication with your opponent is the most sporting way to play the Nakita. When my opponent is taking a turn and I have Nakita in play, I usually just pick up the D20 as a subtle reminder that their may be some preemptive rolls. Be prompt and informative. It will make it easier for you and your opponent to enjoy the game and appreciate what the Nakita can do.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by Rÿchean; March 17th, 2023 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM

temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker

They are very interesting and fun. They just aren't that competative, imho. The special attack rule makes them too vunerable. At 120 points, one or two gone is a huge loss. But in casual play they are a ton of fun. I just can't get them to earn their points before they go down. Not saying that I have to kill 120 points with them, but they just don't seem to do their job long enough.

Dave Grohl + Josh Homme + John Paul Jones= awesome
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp.nerd View Post
They are very interesting and fun.
Usually my gaming buddy, Guerillinator is their sole drafter, but lately I've been having a lot of fun playing the Nakitas.

I don't recall the exact army composition, but I was mixing the white-clad agents with the expensive, but vulnerable Grok Riders. I wanted to try one set of Groks with NGS. Realine might've been a cheaper alternative, but the Nakitas it was and they assisted their Tarn allies.

It worked well. The Groks could move up to the Agents and potentially avoid normal, ranged attacks. It was successful against protection against Krav Maga attacks and NGS was able to get into position to assist the Groks with their Mark of the Warlord ability on Q10.
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp.nerd View Post
They are very interesting and fun. They just aren't that competative, imho. The special attack rule makes them too vunerable.
They can be pretty competitive. It depends a lot on luck of the draw when it comes to your match ups. They're pretty terrible against popular special attackers like Nilfheim or Q9, but actually pretty good against 4th Mass or Glads/Blast armies which are unlikely to have a special attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM

legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby!

Am I right in this? The Nakitas roll for Smoke Powder Defense collectively; one roll for all three agents, not one roll per agent?
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

You get one roll each time a Nakita Agent or a figure adjacent to one or more Nakita Agents is targeted by a ranged attack. So if the 4th take a shot at a Rat next to two Nakitas you get one roll. Say you miss the roll but the Rat survives the attack so the second 4th takes a shot at the same Rat - you get to roll again. If you succeed then not only the Rat, but the Nakitas and everyone adjacent to the Nakitas become untargetable.

~Aldin, smokin'

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoboy View Post
Am I right in this? The Nakitas roll for Smoke Powder Defense collectively; one roll for all three agents, not one roll per agent?
Not quite. If one is successful, they all use it, but if one is unsuccessful, the others can try it on subsequent attacks that turn.

(So, suppose Nakita1 and Nakita2 are adjacent to Thorgrim, and Nakita3 is on the other side of the board. The opponent has a bunch of 4th Mass. The opponent targets Thorgrim, so you get to roll (once) for smoke powder. If it succeeds, NONE of the Nakitas or anyone adjacent to them may be targeted for the rest of the turn.

If it fails, then you resolve the attack. When the 2nd 4th mass takes a shot at one of the Nakitas (or thorgrim) they roll again.

So if they take four shots at one Nakita, she gets to roll for smoke powder each time (until she's successful, of course).

--

I hope that made sense. (EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Aldin~succinctly)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units